Home

Holdin' Onto Hope Part 2: Cranes, Trains, and Auto-Explosions (The Show 12)

This is a discussion on Holdin' Onto Hope Part 2: Cranes, Trains, and Auto-Explosions (The Show 12) within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #49
Just Bad at Everything

TheNumber35's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: Holdin' Onto Hope Part 2: Cranes, Trains, and Auto-Explosions (The Show 12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by royals19
Hopefully this is just a sophomore slump. I'd hate to see a great young arm like Lyles be a bust!
Can it be a sophmore slump if the first year was bad too lol? In all seriousness, I hope Jordan gets something going in AAA...but I can't ignore a 29 year old Bonderman putting up the numbers he's put up if I actually want to try and compete.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #50
Just Bad at Everything

TheNumber35's Arena

Alright! We're back to face off against the Pirates, in one of two starts that could seriously shape the future of the Houston Astros pitching rotation. Jordan Lyles takes on Jeff Locke in a match-up of talented pitchers going in opposite directions. Locke is 1-1 with a 2.71 ERA this season while Lyles is 1-3 with a 5.71 ERA. Lyles has been put on notice and very well could lose his spot in the Bigs if he doesn't perform well enough in his next two starts. Well, he didn't pitch so well in Pittsburgh. To say the least. He allowed 6 earned runs over 3 innings, however...we did win the game 10-6 after we got to the pen for 7 runs in the final 2 frames of the game. We lost the next three games in Pittsburgh then headed home to face the division rival Cubs in a 3 game set. After a game 1 win, Jordan Lyles set to head off game two of the series in a game that could determine his fate. Let's go

First pitch of the ballgame and this happens.

Darwin Barney hits a leadoff HR? Really man? Jordan...not making a strong case to stay in the rotation are you? Oh well, it's just one run and you can definitely bounce back from that. Next two batters reach base and then Soto goes upper-deck with this shot.

4-0 Cubs after the first inning. Son of a...Darwin Barney would go yard again in the next inning to make it a 7-0 Cubs lead. And Jordan would be lifted after 2 innings. 2 innings, 12 hits, 7 runs, 4 walks, 1 strikeout. Sorry Jordan, that's 3 strikes and you are definitely out of here. I can't do it anymore, this game rose his ERA to over 8 (8.67 to be specific) and he is an automatic loss whenever he pitches for us and it just hurts to watch a guy with his upside pitching this horribly.

Anywho, back to the game which we trail 7-0 in the 2nd inning.

Justin! Maxwell hits his 7th bomb of the season and puts us on the board, 7-1 now. And we wouldn't score again until the 9th inning where we put up a couple garbage time runs. But the game was never in question, with the Cubbies taking it easily.

Another thing, check out Darwin Barney's game. He hit 2 HRs and just dominated us. Of all the guys to kill us, Rizzo and Jackson were 0-fer and Darwin F'in Barney beat the chit out of us.

That one hurt, it hurt a lot. But after the game RHP Jordan Lyles was optioned to AAA OKC and RHP Jeremy Bonderman's contract was purchased from OKC. He's set to make his season debut on Mother's Day against the Cardinals.

But, we won the series finale against the Cubbies. We head to San Diego to play 3 with the Pads before heading to St. Louis. We'll follow the debut of Bonderman very closely and it will be the game of the week.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #51
MVP

jknott10's Arena

OVR: 17

strongly interested on how Bonderman does in the bigs this go around, its ashame Lyles can't get it going with the potential he has. Maybe he can break through in AAA and realize he needs to buckle down.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #52
Just Bad at Everything

TheNumber35's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknott10
strongly interested on how Bonderman does in the bigs this go around, its ashame Lyles can't get it going with the potential he has. Maybe he can break through in AAA and realize he needs to buckle down.

Ask and you shall receive my friend...

The Padres may have been tough for us, but we head home to face the Cards in a series that is quite important for our psyche. Mother's Day, always a compelling day to be a player. Pink everywhere, players doing legendary things, and moms. It's gonna be a special day isn't it?

There he is guys, Jeremy Bonderman. Finally making our squad and getting back to the Bigs...granted Lyles had to hardcore fail for him to make it, but that doesn't matter. He looks good considering he's been out of the game for 2 years now. He would get a 1-2-3 first inning, and look damn dominant on top of that.

His opponent is our nemesis, Kyle "Team on my Back" Lohse.

In case you forgot, Lohse faced Paul Clemens in his debut earlier this year. A game in which 1 total run was scored and we beat Kyle 1-0. Since then, he's been solid as always with a mid 2 ERA and some good work (as always.)

Shutouts all around in Houston as Lohse had us tied up in knots all game long. Bottom of the 5th inning, Dominguez leads off with a double, gets advanced to 3rd by a grounder from backup catcher Johnny Monell. In steps Alex Gonzalez, first pitch and...the runner breaks from 3rd, Gonzalez squares around and gets it down. Score the runner, 1-0 Astros on the Gonzalez sacrifice bunt. And that would be all Jeremy would need. He was electric all game, fastballs floating around 93 all game. He would crank up to 96 on his last fastball of the night. After that, he followed with this beauty of a slide-piece

Ring him up looking and that would put a finishing touch on Bonderman's day after 98 pitches. Here's the final line on an excellent game for Jeremy.

Yes, 6 shutout innings for Bonderman with 6 Ks. A great return, maybe he can purchase his old 38 from whoever holds that number currently (I forgot who it was honestly) at some point. Regardless, not much else to tell here. Bondo gets the W as Escalona closes this sucker out, 2-0 final.

Good game for Bondo...hell a good start out of the 4 spot in the rotation, we haven't had that in a good month. Thanks Jeremy, much appreciated.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #53
Just Bad at Everything

TheNumber35's Arena

After two 2 game sets against Washington and Cincinnati respectively...that we got swept in of course, but that's beside the point! Moving on, next up for us is a 3 game set against the Royals in the start of interleague play for our Astros. After a game 1 win in the 2nd start of Jeremy Bonderman (who pitched fine, but the bullpen squandered his decision by allowing many runs) we have Paul Clemens facing Luke Hochevar in a game that could be a nice little pitching duel. Let's get it on!

Both of us aren't exactly pacing our respective divisions by any stretch of the imagination, but that's just fine. We weren't expecting to do so, and we're honestly performing better than most thought we could. This guy has been especially impressive since getting a shot due to JA...I mean Sergei Nikolav's incident.

Pretty solid numbers, in fact he is 10th in the NL in ERA and has the 2nd best starter ERA on our squad. Trailing only Bud Norris, who was just plain ridiculous to start out the year. Anywho, first inning and our guy is in a bit of trouble. He gives up a "single" to Mitch Moustakas...hold on, I wanna touch on that first. The Show scored Mitch's hit a single, I disagree. Check out what happened out there in the OF when Moustakas hit the ball.

Single? The ball hit him in the chest and missed his glove altogether. Chitheads...anyways, Clemens follows that up by serving up a gopher ball to the Wizard of Hoz himself.

Yeah, Hosmer goes yard and makes this a 2-0 game in the first inning. Clemens would lock in after that though, but more on that later. The story for KC was Hochevar, who pitched 4 no-hit innings before things got hairy. He walked the first batter of the inning in Matt Dominguez, who would advance to 2nd on a wild pitch and then score on an Alex Gonzalez SAC fly. So crisis averted after getting Bogusevic to bounce out to end the inning. Go to the bottom of the 6th after Clemens locked out the Royals again in the top of that inning. Clemens leading off the inning, and he helps his own case with a sharp single. In steps Justin "Juicin" Maxwell. As Ned Yost was debating if he needed a pinch runner for Clemens, I made a proclamation that I wish people could have heard.

"Eff it, Juicin's gonna put a charge into one and Clemens won't have to run...he can trot."

I felt like such a boss Regardless, his 2R shot made it a 3-2 ball game. After Altuve doubled, JD singled down the line to make it a 4-2 game and give Pauly a lead he wouldn't relinquish. His final numbers look like this

Escalona comes in to close this sucker out, and with 2 outs in the inning...serves up this long ball to Moustakas

But that's alright, he had a little cushion to play with. At the end of the day, he got the save and the Astros got the win.

Good win considering we trailed early and often in this one. Yet again, Juicin' comes through for us. Gotta love it when guys who you expect nothing from early on in a franchise give you production.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #54
Just Bad at Everything

TheNumber35's Arena

Sergei Nikolav's Safehouse
May 13th, 2013
8:19 pm

It had been a couple weeks since Sergei had seen Cuban's trump card. The thing he'd been holding out of play, his ultimate finale if you will. If Cuban's hand was forced he could quickly end this game...unless they did something about it. But that required planning and as of right now, there wasn't much they could do. It was a cruel waiting game that he had to play.

Sergei moved from his chair over to the fridge, he grabbed a coke and closed the door. As he opened the can he thought back to how this all started...his start in New York last year remained the last time he pitched a baseball game. He missed baseball, hell baseball is the cause of his identity being ousted.

FLASHBACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Happ
You wanted to see me Jim?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Crane
Yeah I did Sergei.
Quote:
You...you know about me then?
Quote:
Oh I've known for awhile Sergei, its fine. I'm not here to turn you in or anything like that...you seem reformed and honestly I'm sure you want to put that part of your life behind you as much as anybody. No I'm here to ask a favor of you.
Quote:
Oh...wow Mr. Crane, I'm shocked and don't know what to say.
Quote:
Just listen ok?
Crane brings Nikolav up to speed on his problems with Mark Cuban and everything that has happened so far.

Quote:
Alright, so here's the deal: I need your help. I need you to help me get out of prison after they come for me. But there's a catch; it needs to appear that I'm gone forever...if you catch my drift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Nikolav
Why would you want to do that? Appear dead that is?
Quote:
Because it will get Mark off my case...and allow for me to make a play on Mark that could end this silly game once and for all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Nikolav
I don't think I can do that Mr. Crane...I just want to play baseball and leave that part of my life alone. If I helped you, Sergei Nikolav would become active again, and I'd be on every watch list in the country. I'd have to give up the game I love.
Quote:
Just think on it ok? They'll be coming for me now...if the plan is a go, you may act whenever. And if not, then I understand and hope you enjoy the remainder of your playing career.
END FLASHBACK

Nikolav laughed a little bit as he thought of Crane, how he'd been roped into this pissing contest between two rich men. However, after seeing what he had seen in that Warehouse...things had changed. This wasn't just a rich man's problem anymore, that thing would cause a huge issue for everyone in this world. Not just Cuban or Crane. But everyone. I mean this thing was a...

Quote:
Sergei, time to move out. We've got a plan to work out. Let's get this thing moving.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #55
AC
Win the East

AC's Arena

OVR: 36

You couldn't have gotten this out 20 minutes earlier before I went to sleep? LOL

Great update. I love the contrast between us. For me, Happ is an ace. For you, he's a Russian... mystery.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #56
Just Bad at Everything

TheNumber35's Arena

Ahh yes, interesting things developing off the field for Houston. However, its time to get back in between the lines. We're off to see our BFFs in San Francisco. Oh boy this pitching matchup we get to cover is really gonna be something else. Tim "Timmehhhh" Lincecum vs The Bud in a duel of two really good pitchers. This is the kind of game you just love to watch as a baseball fan. Two aces locking up in a duel of epic proportions! Let's get it on!

Here's the lineups that have to face these studly studs.

Good luck Gents...anyways:

The Giants are in 2nd place right now, which says ALOT about the NL West...but they can use any wins they can get. And we're slowly but surely climbing out of the cellar, but with Cinci just rolling right now (15 games over .500 so far) we're just trying to get back to .500 before we worry about them. The Giants take the mound first and out meanders Timmehhh.

Those are some very impressive numbers, that for sure. He would get a 1-2-3 first inning despite throwing 29 pitches in the frame. Hot damn that's a chit ton of pitches. Well its time to trot out our ace. The one, the only...THE BUD.

Now THOSE are some impressive numbers. Both those losses he has, he lost 1-0...hence why W/L is the most useless stat of all time (other than all the other most useless stats people blab on about.) Bud would also get a 1-2-3 frame, and this duel was on. No hitters all around, until Alex Gonzalez...mind you a stuggling Alex Gonzalez stepped up in the 3rd inning to lead off the frame. He would work a 3-1 hitters count before swinging and sending a ball into the gap. A diving Victorino coul...how about you just take a look instead of me rambling?

He just missed it and Alex was rewarded with a two-bagger. Jordan Schafer (in for Bogey who recently broke finger, out for 1-2 months) advances him on a deep fly and our studly pitcher squeezes him home. But oh no! The Panda struck in the next inning on a 2-R shot to give them the lead right back.

2-1 San Fran. Oh god, poor Bud. He'd lose yet another game where he pitched spectacularly? Well Alex Gonzalez had other ideas. After Dominguez and Castro singled to lead off the 7th, Gonzalez stepped in. He didn't waste much time as he took this 1-0 fastball to straight away center at AT&T Park.

Yeah that's right Melk-Man. Watch it fly, take it in, enjoy the feel of losing. Oh sorry, Melky had been pissing me off with all his diving plays in this game so I took some pleasure it watching him dread that ball leave the yard. That would do it for us, earning a 4-2 winner as Escalona gets save #12 and Bud gets win #6.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »