Home

Hot In Miami - A Miami Marlins Dynasty (MLB 12 The Show)

This is a discussion on Hot In Miami - A Miami Marlins Dynasty (MLB 12 The Show) within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
MVP

Bluejaysfan65's Arena

OVR: 44
Hot In Miami - A Miami Marlins Dynasty (MLB 12 The Show)

Sliders: Custom
Rosters: Willard76's OSFM Deadline Roster Hybrid (Most Recent One)
Difficulty Level: Veteran (Will Adjust if needed)
Playing Schedule: 162 Games
Console: PS3

The reason that I decided to start a Marlins dynasty is that they have a good young team and they have some stars in Jose Reyes, Stanton and Johnson. I still have Reyes, Bonifacio, Johnson etc. because I am using the rosters from last year's deadline on MLB 12 The Show. My goal for this franchise to to try and play all 162 games this season. This is the first time that I have attempted to do this so it should be an interesting experience. It will look somewhat like my Toronto Blue Jays Dynasty, but without as many graphics because those take time to make and with 162 games, I don't want to have to make 162 graphics for game recaps.

Last edited by Bluejaysfan65; 03-19-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
MVP

Bluejaysfan65's Arena

Re: Hot In Miami - A Miami Marlins Dynasty (MLB 12 The Show)

MLB Season Preview: Miami Marlins

Armed with a shiny, taxpayer-funded new stadium green-lit by feckless government officials, the Marlins decided they'd finally spend some money this offseason. The plan went as follows: Get Albert Pujols, get Jose Reyes, get one of the best starting pitchers on the market, get one of the best closers on the market.

Three out of four ain't bad. Though Miami came up short in its quest to land Pujols, the additions of Reyes, Mark Buehrle, and Heath Bell should boost the fortunes of a team that already had big potential for improvement. The prospect of a healthy Josh Johnson, an ever-improving Mike (now Giancarlo) Stanton, and a big dose of positive regression for Hanley Ramirez already portended good things for the Marlins. With three-fourths of Philly's starting infield on the shelf and the Braves mostly standing pat, the door has swung open for the Marlins (and Nationals) to challenge for the NL East crown.

Reyes got less than half the cash and much less than half the attention that Pujols did when he bolted St. Louis for the Angels. Which is interesting, because Reyes had a 2011 WAR of 6.2 while Pujols was only at 5.1. One more fact: Reyes is 28 and Pujols is 32.

Commence piling on the caveats … now. Reyes's numbers were buoyed by a career-high .353 batting average on balls in play, a number likely to regress this season. He missed 36 games, which bodes well in that greater health could net even greater value, but also bodes poorly in that it marked the third straight season he missed significant time due to injuries, including 126 games on the shelf in 2009. This was also just the third time that Reyes produced six or more wins above replacement for his team. Meanwhile, Pujols's 2011 season was the worst of his career. The temptation is to say that Reyes is in his prime and Pujols has started his decline, especially given the three-and-a-half-year age difference between the two. But career paths are rarely that predictable, and Pujols has been the vastly superior player for most of the two players' careers.

Either way, all of this highlights how Reyes might turn out to be the best big-ticket signing of the offseason, given the relative size of his contract vs. Pujols's and Fielder's deals, and the profiles of each player (Pujols is the oldest, Fielder is a defensive minus playing a non-premium position, etc.). After Reyes, the Marlins would do well to drop Bonifacio toward the bottom of the lineup and get more at-bats for Stanton (an excellent sleeper MVP pick assuming his current knee injury proves to be minor) and yes, Ramirez too. Foot, back, and shoulder injuries killed Hanley's 2011 season, and both his offensive and defensive value were already waning in 2010, even though he's actually six months younger than Reyes. But there's a .300-hitter infielder with power still lurking in this skill set, and the tarot card readers have speculated that Ramirez could thrive again with Ozzie Guillen taking over as the new manager. Combine those three potential stars with solid complementary pieces like Morrison and Sanchez and you have a team that could make a huge jump from last year's 23rd-ranked offense.

Those are some pretty damn optimistic projections. Johnson made just nine starts last year before missing the rest of the season with a shoulder injury. Nolasco's fielding-independent stats have always been solid (career 3.83 FIP), but it's easy to wonder if his inability to prevent runs might go beyond simple bad luck. And Zambrano … he's been a bit of a mess. Still, you could see the bright side too: Johnson was a monster in 2009 and 2010, making 61 starts and yielding nearly 12 WAR over that stretch; Nolasco's been crushed by very low strand rates in two of the past three years (61 percent in 2009, 66.2 percent in 2011; league average is in the low-70s), meaning unless he's got a fatal flaw when pitching from the stretch, bad luck (and lousy relief) might've been all that was holding him back (though his diving strikeout rate is a concern); and Zambrano … even if he can't rebound to anywhere close to his old ace form, the Marlins just need a decent fifth starter's performance out of him.

The addition of Bell, overrated due to Petco deflation and vulnerable to lefties though he may be, should help the bullpen preserve leads and also allow Guillen to yank pitchers early when needed. Reyes has seen his defense dip in the past couple years, but he figures to gobble up more grounders than the now-too-big-for-short Ramirez, which should help last year's middle-of-the-pack team D. Plus the Marlins now have the cash and more importantly the will to open their checkbooks, meaning they'd likely make a move or three if any of the projected starters falter.

***All credit goes to Jonah Keri for this article, which can be found here.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
MVP

joshrmlb's Arena

OVR: 9

You know I'm following.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
MVP

Bluejaysfan65's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrmlb
You know I'm following.
Thanks! It'll be a challenge playing all 162 games! Have you ever attempted to play all 162 games?
Old 03-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
MVP

Bluejaysfan65's Arena

Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria called President David Sampson and President of Baseball Operations Larry Beinfest to his office to discuss some matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Loria
Well, as we all know, we have a very disastrous season so far, boys. And I think there is a need for a trade now that we have commited to both rebuilding and contending.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sampson & Larry Beinfest
Are... Are, you saying that we're fired?
Quote:
I couldn't say it better my self! You two are officially no longer part of the Marlins Organization.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Beinfest
We do all this, sign free agents, make decent trades and all and this is what we get?!?!? You should be ashamed of yourself Mr. Loria!!
Quote:
I don't care what you get, life's unfair, suck it up and find another job. And while, your at it, get your filthy butts out of my office.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sampson
Spoiler
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
MVP

Bluejaysfan65's Arena

Jeffrey Loria called the man into his office and told him to take a seat, in which he did.

Quote:
First off, as you may know, my name is Jeffrey Loria. I've been told that you are applying for the vacant President of Baseball Operations spot here with the Miami Marlins Baseball Organization. I want to make things clear, I am willing to do whatever it take to win a championship here in Miami. And I mean whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown
Yes, yes... I've heard about your desire to win a championship Mr. Loria. The fact is that I want to win a championship my self! And I think that taking over the Miami Marlins would be a great start. How much are you willing to sell the team for?
Quote:
I'm not sure if I made this clear but this is a job interview, not a bidding session for the baseball organization. If you want to buy the Marlins, you might as well get the hell out of here before I make you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown
First off, my name is Greg Millar. I am willing to spend up to $100 billion dollars to purchase the Miami Marlins. If you are going to refuse that, then you are one dumb man my friend.
Quote:
Call me a dumb man all you want but you ain't getting the Marlins off of me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Millar
You have made a big mistake my friend... You watch out, big and bad things'll be happening all around you. And the life of many other including yours might be in the hand of you right now as you make your decision.
Quote:
I already told you. The Marlins are mine and that's the way it's gonna stay!
Greg Millar left Jeffrey sitting at his desk. Jeffrey wondered to himself, what if many people die because of me not selling the Marlins, what if I die because I didn't sell the Marlins. Little did he know that this was just the beginning of a very wild and mysterious ride...

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »