Home

'Know Thy Enemy': Tampa Bay Rays Franchise [MLB 13: The Show]

This is a discussion on 'Know Thy Enemy': Tampa Bay Rays Franchise [MLB 13: The Show] within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #41
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: 'Know Thy Enemy': Tampa Bay Rays Franchise [MLB 13: The Show]

((Start of transmission.))

Hello and welcome to the official Tampa Bay Rays radio cast! I'm your host, Chris Merling. Know you might remember me from the 'Snakepit' a weekly interview forum involving the Arizona Diamondbacks. Lets just say that I've moved on to greener pastures..to bring you this! After every couple of series, I'll be broadcasting to you! The followers! ..as we dwelve into the subjects pertaining to the Tampa Bay Rays season.

Currently our Tampa Bay Rays, who are sitting at 4-2 after about a week of baseball, sit in a three-way tie for first place in the American League East with the Boston Red Sox and Toronto Blue Jays. They just recently dropped a series 1 game to 2 with the Cleveland Indians. Dissapointing.. Now lets dwelve into some subjects in regards to those series.

What have Tampa Bay pitchers been drinking? Is it some kind of magical elixir or something? I highly doubt it. But I and most of you followers can agree, Rays pitching has been dominant these last six games! COMBINED pitching for Tampa Bay is currently ranked in second place for ERA amongst other major league teams at 1.33. In fact, the bullpen has yet to give up a single run yet.

Through the first starts for all the starting five, Jeremy Hellickson seemed to have it the roughest. He was the only Rays pitcher with a loss until David Price took one last night in the Cleveland finale. Though his outing was that horrid, 3 earned over 6 innings, Hellickson also holds the highest ERA amongst Rays pitching at 4.50.

Whatever the Rays pitching is drinking, lets all hope that they keep drinking it for the sake of the Tampa Bay offense!

Now lets see who has been making some noice on the farm. Amongst the pitching prospects, Blake Snell in AAA for the Durham Bulls, sporting a 0.00 ERA with a win. But top 50 prospect, Taylor Guerrieri, isn't far behind with a 2.35 ERA over 7.1 innings. Well be sure to keep a keen eye on both of these young studs as the season progresses.

Alex Colome, another top prospect pitching for the Montgomery Biscuits in AA, is on the other side of the fence. Unfortunately in his first start, he only lasted an inning and two-thirds, giving up five runs. His ERA currently is a BALLOONED 27.00. Lets hope he can settle down, work some deep games, and shave down that average a bit.

Now lets move on to my person favorite, the offense!

These last few games for Tampa Bay have been rough offensively, they were only able to scavenge four runs in three games. Let me let you guys in on a little secret....the future looks bright down on the farm! Wil Myers, who we received in the trade with the Royals for Jake Shields and Wade Davis, has be tearing the ball UP in his first few games this season. His stat line currently sits at a .462 BA in 13 ABs, 2 HR, and 5 RBI. Impressive! Who knows? We might see Myers in the majors this season.

Hak-Ju Lee, who is ranked as the Rays' #3 prospect in the farm system sporting a .313 average, while driving in an RBI. Known more for his defensive prowess, Lee does lead the Durham Bulls with three runs. He is another who might see some time this season in the bigs.

Former overall #1 pick in 2008 and a personal favorite of Rays' manager Joe Maddon, yes, we are talking about Tim Beckham, has started off strong. Hak-Ju Lee has been the primary shorstop for the Bulls, this mean't moving to second base for Tim Beckham. But the adjustment has gone smoothly. Beckham has a .385 batting average, with two RBI's, and a stolen base. He has been labeled as a 'bust' by some Rays' fans. But I'll keep being optimistic and see if he can finally get a taste of the majors.

Our finally subject is gonna be on what everyone has been clamoring about? What are the Tampa Bay Rays going to do with David Price this season? Well I have heard one of two things from Rays general manager, Andrew Friedman. He could be traded, but.....he might not. Depends on the situation.

From my personal perpsective, he shouldn't be in a Rays uniform by the season's end, as much as he has done for this organization, it comes down to the business ends of things. We could keep him, if we have a chance at the big game, but we won't sign him in free agency because he is looking for a big deal and if we give him that, we'll be suffocating the team's plans moving forward.

We want to get something for him, whether we have a chance a the big game or not. Tampa Bay's pitching depth is the best in baseball, IMO, and though losing him would hurt, I believe we could STILL contend with what depth we do have. Now...what are some potential destinations for David Price? Might best is either the Chicago Cubs or St. Louis Cardinals and I have some ideas for the deals. Now lets say David Price pitches well this 2013 season..

A package for Price from the Chicago Cubs is necessarily going to require at least three or four of an organization’s top 10 prospects, and more than one of those prospects is going to be a top 100 overall type. If I’m the Rays, and everyone still looks good after this season, my demand starts with two of the Pierce Johnson/Arodys Vizcaino/Dillon Maples trio. And I’m probably asking for Jae-Hoon Ha.

BUT!!! The Cubs are likely to be at a disadvantage when compared to other teams. That’s because, if the Cubs are themselves sellers at the trade deadline, Price will not offer as much value to the Cubs as he would to a team going for the playoffs this year. To the Cubs, Price would be worth the 2014 and 2015 seasons, only. But to other teams, he also provides the value of a 2013 playoff push.

As for the St. Louis Cardinals, the question is if St. Louis wants to take a huge chunk out of their talent pool for Price. Their top prospects are highlighted by Oscar Taveras and Shelby Miller. But the Cardinals might not need to trade away either to get David Price. St. Louis' first baseman Matt Adams could be included in this deal.

I think a fair deal would include Oscar Taveras, Kolten Wong and Seth Blair for David Price. But a Matt Adams/Wong/Michael Wacha package would also be sufficient. Either way, the Cardinals have a deep and very lucrative farm system.

There is also the Texas Rangers who could sneak into the picture with Jurickson Profar if he is available.....

Well that will do it for my first broadcast! I hope that you followers enjoyed it. My next broadcast will commence after the LOONNNNGG 10-game roadtrip that the Rays endure. Their first stop, the Texas Rangers. If any followers have any subjects you would liked discussed on the broadcast in our next session, please dont hesitate to mention it! To end things, I'll always leave you with a quote from your favorite baseball historian. Til next time gents, this is Chris Merling signing off!

“A ballplayer should quit when it starts to feel like all the baselines run uphill." - Babe Ruth

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2013, 01:33 AM   #42
Pro

Chris Archer dodges a liner from Rangers' Lance Berkman.

TAMPA BAY FALLS IN ARLINGTON, 4-1.

ST. PETERSBURG, FL. -- Tampa Bay has now lost three of its last four games as they were downed tonight by Texas, 4-1. Once again it seemed as if the scoring offense was nowhere to be found as Rangers' starter Alexi Ogando (2-0, 0.53 ERA) was almost flawless over eight innings of work. He allowed a single run on six hits, while striking out four on the night.

Another thing can be said about Tampa Bay starter, Matt Moore (1-1, 4.50 ERA), who had a rough outing compared to his first start. Texas came roaring out of the gates, slamming him in the first inning with 3 runs, two of them coming from a Adrian Beltre homerun. He lasted only three innings, surrendering four runs on eight hits and fanning four batters in his first loss of the season.

Joe Maddon had no comment tonight as he passed the media through the clubhouse. The usually cerebral coach looked frustrated as he left the dugout after the loss.

"Theres not that can be said. Our bats need to get going." said Evan Longoria on the lack of offense over recent games. Longoria ended the night with a hit in four at-bats.

The Tampa bullpen stayed strong as Chris Archer came to relieve Matt Moore in the fourth inning with a runner on first and second with one out. He would allow one run to score, that Moore was responsible for, on an Elvis Andrus sacrifice fly before getting out of the mess with a Craig Gentry double-play.

Archer has been impressive coming out of the pen. He allowed no runs over four innings in tonight's game.

Rays' second baseman Kelly Johnson extended his hitting streak to a modest six games, but it didn't mean much as the Rays only scored one run. There was hope in the 5th inning, as there were runners on the corners and no outs. Yunel Escobar then proceeded to ground into a double-play, allowing catcher Chris Giminez to score, but ultimately killing the rally.

Escobar who was signed as a free agent this off-season has had a slow start in April. He is a career .290 hitter, but is only managing a .182 so far.

"I'm the only who is gonna get myself out of this mess." said Escobar.

Jason Frasor came into the ninth and closed out the game for his first save of the season. Tampa Bay has only managed to score four runs in as many games. This is suprising considering they scored sixteen in their opening series against Baltimore.

On a positive note, Luke Scott came into the ninth to pinch-hit for a struggling Sean Rodriguez, meaning his hand must be on the mend. Scott ended up grounding out to second.

The Rangers and Rays will continue their series tomorrow in Arlington. Tampa Bay's Alex Cobb (1-0, 0.00 ERA) will face off against the Ranger's Matt Harrison (1-0, 1.42 ERA) in what is sure to be a good one. Lets hope that the Rays can sort out their offensive problems and put in on the Rangers tomorrow night. Go Rays! Go!

Tampa Bay Rays at Texas Rangers
Apr 8, 2013123456789RHE
Tampa Bay (4-3)000010000160
Texas (5-2)30010000X4111
W: A. Ogando L: M. Moore S: J. Frasor
Scoring Summary
SCORING DETAILSTAMTEX
TEX1Beltre homered to right. Gentry scores.02
TEX1Soto lined to left for a single. Kinsler scores.03
TEX4Andrus hit a sacrifice fly to Roberts [SF8]. Murphy scores.04
TAM5Escobar grounded into a double play [6-4-3 DP]. Giminez score.14
Tampa Bay Rays
HITTERSABRHRBIBBSOHRAVG
Roberts, CF400000.125
Loney, DH401001.250
Longoria, 3B401000.250
Rodriguez, 1B300001.071
A-Scott, PH100000.250
Joyce, LF402000.286
Zobrist, RF400001.250
Giminez, C311001.143
Johnson, 2B301001.381
Escobar, SS300000.182
TEAM TOTALS3316005
BATTING:
GIDP: Y. Escobar
Texas Rangers
HITTERSABRHRBIBBSOHRAVG
Andrus, SS300100.038
Gentry, CF412000.269
Beltre, 3B411202.214
Cruz, RF400002.185
Kinsler, 2B412000.200
Soto, C401100.273
Murphy, LF313000.333
Borbon, DH301001.167
Berkman, 1B301001.348
TEAM TOTALS32411406
BATTING:
2B: I. Kinsler [1], D. Murphy [2], C. Gentry [1]
HR: A. Beltre [2]
RBI: E. Adrus [1]. A. Beltre 2 [3], G. Soto [1]
SF: E. Andrus
GIDP: C. Gentry
BASERUNNING:
CS: I. Kinsler [1]
FIELDING:
E: E. Andrus [1]
Tampa Bay Rays
PITCHERSIPHRERBBSOHRERA
M. Moore [L, 1-1]3.0844034.50
C. Archer4.0300020.00
J. Peralta1.0000010.00
TEAM TOTALS8.0114406
Texas Rangers
PITCHERSIPHRERBBSOHRERA
A. Ogando [W, 2-0]8.0611040.53
J. Frasor [S, 1]1.0000010.00
TEAM TOTALS9.061105

Old 05-02-2013, 02:09 AM   #43
Banned

nowitsourtime's Arena

OVR: 6

I've always thought the Rays would be a great franchise team if the Trop wasn't so dreary. Anyways, I'll be following. I have a question. Have you put any thought into acquiring a more offensive mined catcher for the Rays? A Brian McCann, Jesus Montero type of guy to replace Molina?
Old 05-02-2013, 02:19 AM   #44
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

OVR: 22

Love the Radio show.. Very nicely done. Archer is pitching great out of the pen. Could make a case for the rotation if the loss's keep coming. I like the idea of Price going to the Cubs if like you mentioned they are winning and making a push, but I have a feeling they will be there usual sellers, probably getting rid of Garza and Marmol, and maybe Soriano if they eat the contract.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:23 AM   #45
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsourtime
I've always thought the Rays would be a great franchise team if the Trop wasn't so dreary. Anyways, I'll be following. I have a question. Have you put any thought into acquiring a more offensive mined catcher for the Rays? A Brian McCann, Jesus Montero type of guy to replace Molina?
When it comes to trading Price, SS, C, and 2B need to be kept in mind. But I do have Hak-Ju Lee in the minors and he could see some time this season. 1B can also be taken into consideration.

But yes, I have thought about catcher alot. I'd shoot more for Montero than McCann, just to get the youth...or I could go someone older like McCann and grab another catcher in the draft.

There are alot of options. When I mentioned a St. Louis trade in the radio broadcast, I would've mentioned Steve Bean as a part of the package, but he doesn't exist in the OFSM rosters.

I also had an Arizona Diamondbacks franchise going myself, that was until the save file went corrupt. So it is nice to see another going and I wish you the best of luck with it, buddy.

Last edited by CBMerling; 05-02-2013 at 02:30 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2013, 02:27 AM   #46
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce2223
Love the Radio show.. Very nicely done. Archer is pitching great out of the pen. Could make a case for the rotation if the loss's keep coming. I like the idea of Price going to the Cubs if like you mentioned they are winning and making a push, but I have a feeling they will be there usual sellers, probably getting rid of Garza and Marmol, and maybe Soriano if they eat the contract.
Duece, I greatly appreciate the feedback on the radio broadcast, it was quite long. Texas Rangers and St. Louis Cardinals are the most likely targets.

Jurickson Profar would be a welcome addition in Tampa Bay. But St. Louis has such a deep farm, even with the OFSM rosters, I could get a nice package if I shipped Price there.

In regards to the radio gig, to those following this thread if there are subjects you want mentioned on there, please don't hesitate to bring it up. But I usually go off of what is being discussed between my game updates and everything.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #47
Pro

Alex Cobb earned his second win of the season on Tuesday night.

IT'S A START! RAYS ARE VICTORIOUS!

ST. PETERSBURG, FL -- Tampa Bay starter Alex Cobb (2-0, 0.53 ERA) almost had the complete game shutout until the ninth inning with one out left, when the Rangers' David Murphy hit a grounder to left, scoring Nelson Cruz. In the end though, Cobb pitched his first complete game of the 2013 season, while also earning his second win, as Tampa Bay grinded out the win over Texas, 4-1. It was the second time in as many starts, that Cobb has pitched late into the innings. He has allowed one earned run over seventeen innings!

"Yeah, he pitched great tonight." said Rays manager Joe Maddon when asked about Cobb. "He did the bullpen a favor."

"Hopefully they can repay the debt, haha!" said Cobb is response to the previous comment by Maddon.

Through the game Jamey Wright did get warm in the pen, but he was never used because everytime the Rangers started a rally, Cobb quickly demolished any hopes of something happening. He induced two double-plays on two different occasions, when he needed them. Cobb put on a pitching clinic tonight.

There were a few positive notes to this game also. Rays' first baseman Luke Scott returned to the lineup in tonight's game and started where he left off, going 3 for 5 with a double, and scoring two runners.

"It felt great to get some cuts in tonight." comment Scott on his return.

The Rays also managed four runs on twelve hits. But that wasn't enough to get back into the graces of hitting coach Derek Shelton.

"Don't get me wrong, it is awesome we got twelve hits. But when need to sure we REALLY make those rallies count." he said. "Sometimes we were too aggressive, I think we could've scored more runs."

The Rays scored the same amount of runs, 4, as they had combined the previous three games. What you talking about Willis? It is a start..

On a somber note, superstar third baseman, Evan Longoria was scratched from the lineup after suffering elbow tightness during batting practice. He'll be out a few days before returning to the lineup, said a source in the Tampa Bay clubhouse.

Matt Harrison (1-1, 3.18 ERA) took the loss in this evening's game, allowing three runs on nine hits over only five innings. His bullpen would come in and give up one more run to the Rays in the seventh. But all-in-all is was also a solid outing for Rangers pitching, which ranks 4th in the American League.

The sun will be out in Arlington tomorrow, as the Rays and Rangers wrap up their series in Texas. A young hurler known for his 'stache, Derek Holland (0-1, 3.00 ERA) will take the mound in this rubber match for the Texas Rangers and he goes up against your own Rays' Jeremy Hellickson (0-1, 4.50 ERA). Both pitchers are looking for their first win of the season. First pitch is scheduled for 1:05 p.m.

After this series, Tampa Bay continues its road trip as it heads to Boston, to face the Red Sox in a four-game stand.

Tampa Bay Rays at Texas Rangers
Apr 9, 2013123456789RHE
Tampa Bay (5-3)1011001004120
Texas (5-3)000000001180
W: A. Cobb L: M. Harrison
Scoring Summary
SCORING DETAILSTAMTEX
TAM1Scott grounded to right for a single. Jennings scores.10
TAM3Scott doubled to center. Escobar scores.20
TAM4Roberts lined to center for a single. Johnson scores.30
TAM7Zobrist hit a sacrifice fly to Cruz [SF9]. Escobar scores.40
TEX9Murphy grounded to left for a single. Cruz scores.41
Tampa Bay Rays
HITTERSABRHRBIBBSOHRAVG
Jennings, CF511000.185
Escobar, SS522000.222
Rodriguez, 3B401001.111
Scott, 1B503201.353
Zobrist, RF301101.259
Duncan, LF400002.222
Johnson, 2B412000.400
Roberts, DH401100.167
Gimenez, C401001.182
TEAM TOTALS38412406
BATTING:
2B: Y. Escobar [2], K. Johnson [4], L. Scott [2]
RBI: B. Zobrist [5], R. Roberts [2], L. Scott 2 [5]
HBP: S. Rodriguez
SF: B. Zobrist
Texas Rangers
HITTERSABRHRBIBBSOHRAVG
Andrus, SS400000.033
Gentry, CF400001.233
Beltre, 3B401000.219
Cruz, RF312010.233
Berkman, 1B401002.333
Murphy, LF402101.357
Moreland, DH301000.267
Kinsler, 2B301000.214
TEAM TOTALS3318114
BATTING:
RBI: D. Murphy [1]
GIDP: E. Andrus, N. Cruz
Tampa Bay Rays
PITCHERSIPHRERBBSOHRERA
A. Cobb [W, 2-0]9.0811140.53
TEAM TOTALS9.081114
Texas Rangers
PITCHERSIPHRERBBSOHRERA
M. Harrison [L, 1-1]5.0933043.18
J. Soria1.0100016.00
R. Ross1.0211009.00
M. Kirkman2.0000010.00
TEAM TOTALS9.0124406

Old 05-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #48
Pro

Update coming later on today, ladies and gentlemen! Been busy with some college finals, so there has been a delay in my updates.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »