Home

The McGovern Manifesto- Restoration, Reformation and Retaliation- Part 2

This is a discussion on The McGovern Manifesto- Restoration, Reformation and Retaliation- Part 2 within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #57
MVP

Bluejaysfan65's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: The McGovern Manifesto- Restoration, Reformation and Retaliation- Part 2

When Ricky Romero beats you in a postseason game, you know there's something wrong with your offense...
Old 08-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #58
MVP

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejaysfan65
When Ricky Romero beats you in a postseason game, you know there's something wrong with your offense...
We are struggling really bad offensively. It's one thing to be streaky during the regular season but in the postseason, you just can't do that. We can't afford to have our bats down. That's a huge part of our offense.

So with that Game 3 not going as planned, Lester is unavailable and Cashner is unavailable. So we don't have a whole lot of options to choose from for this situation. Shields could pitch and we could throw Lester Game 5 or Wade Davis could pit... no.

There is one other option however...

Yordano Ventura; the human gas tank... He's a rookie but it's really either him or Wade Davis and I don't want to have to throw Wade Davis out of the rotation any more than I have to. Ventrua had a ton of success during the regular season striking out 90 batters in roughly 90 innings.

He's going to be a key cog in our rotation next year so we figured, why not get him a little experience now?

So while we let Ventura do his thing up on the bump, the offense continued to die.

However, things aren't as bad as they could be. Moose and Hos are still hitting but with few runners to drive in, their numbers are starting to suffer. Moose and Hos are the guys we're trying to build around so it's good to see them producing... still, there guys like Salvy and LoCain who are huge to our future are struggling. Cain and Salvy both hit .300+ this season and now they're barely hanging on in the postseason.

Aside from Hos and Moose doing work, there is one other guy putting the team on his back:

Alcides Escobar of all people is hitting .343 this postseason and is in line for the postseason MVP. How did this happen? Escobar hit .234 during the regular season and now suddenly he's becoming a postseason hero... Go figure.

Tonight, Esky went 3-4 with a pair of doubles and a single. We really, really need for him to keep this up or we'll completely implode in the World Series and that'll be embarrassing for me, McGovern and the entire Royals Organization.

Luckily though, we got a little help from Alex Gordon and we were able to bring Toronto to their knees. We really need a Game 5 win tomorrow because we can't afford to keep this going. The longer we take to play the Jays, the more likely their bats will wake up and they'll blow us out of the water.

I've heard that sound 3 times... once was Babe Ruth, the second was Josh Gibson, and the third was Bo Jackson- Buck O'Neil

Old 08-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #59
MVP

This is the moment I've been waiting for for quite some time... The opportunity to go to the World Series for the first time since 1985... We deserve it. After all of the blood, sweat and tears we've poured into this, we're about to finally see the dividends. The Jays really packed the house for tonight. The crowd was almost too loud. In fact, 5 people ran across the field at various points in the game.

But that's not the point... the point is, is that this is the most important game this franchise has played since 1985.

First of all, David Lough is still struggling but we had to play him today in an attempt to find SOMETHING that will work for us moving forward. The kid went 3-5 with 3 base knocks today and a suicide squeeze that effectively won the game for us. David Lough survives another round but a poor showing the World Series could end his starting duties here in KC... or potentially his tenure.

I'm rooting for the kid and I really want him to be successful but if he doesn't perform, we might just have to show him the door.

Aside from all the postseason drama, we also need to take a look at what this postseason means for Alex Gordon. This postseason is crucial for Gordon, he is already a good player but he now has an opportunity to be a great player. But that's not the point, the point is, he has a unique opportunity to assert himself as the face of the franchise and earn his spot in Royals lore. This isn't just a peanuts type of game, this postseason could actually define Gordon's career and affect it for the rest of his days.

Tonight, Gordon went 4-5 with 3 base hits and a double. With those types of numbers, Gordon is well on his way to asserting himself among the postseason greats.

The real story though, has to be the Cy Young- James Shields.

Shields did it again. He put up another masterpiece, 8 innings, 6 strikeouts... It doesn't really get much better than that. Hopefully he can't repeat this next year and show baseball that he truly is a top 5 pitcher and that this is not a fluke. I still can't believe we've got this guy on lock for 4, 5 years.

The fact that he can throw effectively in big games is a trait that's hard to find. A lot of pitchers can post sub 3 ERAs and 200 strikeouts but it means nothing if they can't pitch big games. Luckily, we don't have to worry about that problem.

Boom! That'll be a nice plaque in the stadium to go right next to our ALDS plaque. Combined with Toronto's errors and some luck on our part, we were able to come away with the victory tonight and the series victory. This was a great test for us and we were able to pass it. Hopefully, the success continues into the World Series... We can't afford to not come away with a World Series victory.

I've heard that sound 3 times... once was Babe Ruth, the second was Josh Gibson, and the third was Bo Jackson- Buck O'Neil

Old 08-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #60
MVP

The Royals had done it... no Bo Jackson, McGovern and their team had done it. They'd taken a franchise in limbo and had turned it into one of baseball's most talented young teams. The scene unfolding before them was incredible; they just couldn't believe it.

McGovern, Bo Jackson, Andrew Friedman and Dayton Moore stood outside of the Roger's center at about 12:00 P.M. The area was desolate. The players had moved the party back to the hotel and the surrounding area.

As they stood talking, McGovern personnel blackhawk helicopter arrived. "Does anyone want a ride?" He asked. The others simply replied no and waited for their limo to pull up.

By 12:30 the group was in their limo headed to the airport so they could fly back to KC. The group drove through an area filled with shops and people walking all over... They simply couldn't fathom why so many people would be out and about this late at night.

As they pulled up to a stoplight, Dayton Moore looked out the window and amid the bustling crowd noticed a lone figure dressed in a black overcoat speaking into a walky talky... "Was that Ned Yost? It couldn't have been. What would he be doing up here unannounced?"

The light turned green and the limo drove 5 more blocks until it came to a fork in the road where a set of buildings divided the street. Something was off, Dayton could feel it. Outside, he noticed that no cars were around them any more and that no people were walking on the sidewalks.

Dayton turned to say something to the others but a lone figure slowly appearing in the top window of the building that seperated the street caught his eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton
AMBUSH!!!!
Suddenly the lone figure produced a some sort of rocket launcher and aimed at the hood of their limo. Dayton watched in horror as a white trail of smoke moved quickly towards their car. Everyone else seemed oblivious, stuck in time...

Without warning, the projectile hit the hood of the limo and it flipped over itself throwing the driver out the front windshield and everybody else about in the cabin.

Disoriented and in and out of consciousness, Dayton watched as 6 Suburban SUVs pulled up and men dressed in special forces gear hopped out of them. Dayton tried to move but everytime he did, there was a sharp shooting pain down his leg.

He tried to crawl out through the pain but to no avail. Suddenly a pair of troopers grabbed him and pulled him from the flaming wreckage and threw him aside. Still disoriented, Dayton watched as several of the troopers grabbed the unconscious figures of Bo Jackson and Andrew Freidman and loaded them into SUVs... He tried to yell for help but it only came out as a terrified whisper. As the two troopers held him Dayton watched as the man in the overcoat appeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Yost
Load them up and keep those people away! We can't afford another media outbreak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton
You son of a *****! What the hell are you trying to pull!?
Ned looked around as his team pushed the crowd away and put up the limo fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned
Something I should've done a long time ago my friend...
With that a trooper came over and informed Ned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper 1
We've got the two HVIs loaded up sir and we're putting out the limo fire. What do you want us to do with the driver and this man sir?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned
Driver dead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper 1
Yessir, thrown through the windshield...
Suddenly police sirens were heard in the distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned
Let's get out of here. Wipe his memory...

Old 08-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #61
MVP

McGovern hopped off his Blackhawk in the hospital parking lot as a nurse greeted him and walked with him into the hospital and towards Dayton's room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGovern
What the hell happened tonight?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse
There was some sort of automobile accident and Mr. Moore was severely injured. He's on oxygen right now as we speak.
Quote:
What the hell happened in the accident?
They continued walking through the hospital towards Dayton's room after getting off the elevator.

Quote:
A man came by who claimed to be with him in the accident... his name was Ned or something along those lines. He said the driver stopped suddenly when they saw a squirrel and the car flipped over it's own weight.
Yost? Damn it!

Quote:
Is anyone in his room now?
Quote:
No, the police want to question him after he wakes up.
They arrived at Dayton's room and the Nurse ushered McGovern in.

Quote:
I'll be outside if you need anything.
The door shut and McGovern approached Dayton.

Quote:
Howdy Dayton! How are you doing?
Dayton stirred in his bed. His head had been bandaged and his leg was up but it looked as though he was going to be OK.

Quote:
What in Sam Hill did they do to you!?
McGovern was answered by the slow *beep* *beep* from the monitor. He walked over to Dayton and whispered in his ear.

Quote:
I know who did this to you... And I'm not going to rest until we have our revenge...
Suddenly the phone in Dayton's room began to ring. McGovern was suspicious... Could it be them?

Quote:
Who's there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned
You don't recognize the voice? It's your old pal Ned!
Quote:
What the hell have you done? You could've killed him! This isn't about these guys... they have nothing to do with it! This is all about us and our beef...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned
I feel you... But here's the thing, people need things done, and this is what the brass wanted. We just gave Dayton a little headache is all...
Quote:
What have you done with Bo and Freidman?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned
Oh them? They're fine... they've just... disappeared.
Quote:
You'll never get away with this... You underestimate me. I've got millions and I'm going to spend every last cent of it enacting my revenge on you. So you can tell you're little buddies, you've just awoken a sleeping giant.
McGovern hung up the phone and walked over to the window... "It's amazing how quickly friends will turn on you"...

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #62
Rookie

beamerball811's Arena

OVR: 1

Good read, I look forward to your World Series run and see where the plot goes next!
Old 08-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #63
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamerball811
Good read, I look forward to your World Series run and see where the plot goes next!
Thanks for checking in dude... It's safe to say that things just got real with the brains of the front office going missing and McGovern's front man missing as well.

The mood among the Royals clubhouse was solemn. Bo Jackson was essentially to the Royals what Nolan Ryan is to the Rangers... and then some. McGovern, uncertain of his own future, told his boys to "Win this for Bo". Aside from the this being the World Series, there was more at stake, an epic collapse could destroy the franchise, while a series win could bring unwanted attention to McGovern. McGovern was exposed and he didn't like it one bit.

So while we let the off the field situation develop, let's take a look at Game one real quick.

The Big Red Machine was easily the NL's most deserving team. Billy Hamilton won the Rookie of the Year, Joey Votto the MVP award and Johnny Cueto finished second in Cy Young voting. The thing I don't like about Cinci is they're going to small ball you. They're going to run, they're going to bunt and they're going to hit and run. If they do all those things correctly, they'll destroy us.

I really like the team we're marching into the labyrinth with... that is if we can hit. This is the f'n World Series for crying out loud! We can't just lay down here and get steamrolled! No... no, no, no.

The cut-scenes they have here in the World Series are actually pretty neat. They make this all that more enjoyable... for the first time in the show, it actually feels like October. They do the National Anthem, there are player introductions... the developers really went the whole 9 yards here in the playoffs.

So with that being said, we send our number one to face their number one... James Shields vs. Johnny Cuteo. That's probably one of the better matchups we're going to see all postseason long.

Now despite Shields' epic run this postseason, there's not a whole lot to hoop and holler about.

But tonight was a different story...

After starting slow in the ALDS and then gaining steam in the ALCS, Alex Gordon is hitting just about everything in sight. Tonight he went 3-5 and showed that he was a legit postseason threat... right there with Alcides Escobar who's also tearing it up.

If Gordon keeps hitting, then he could jump from being a good player, to a great player. This is definitley a situation that we're going to have to monitor.

Alex Gordon however, wasn't the big story of the night.

Cincinnati was trying to run us right into the ground but they should've known better. We've got Shieldsy out there who's one of the best in the game at holding runners on... we've got Salvy out there who's like the Yadier Molina of the American League... I mean you would've thought they did their homework tonight? Haha... nope.

Salvy backpicked 3 guys and threw out 2 guys stealing... then Shieldsy picked off another 2 guys himself. The Reds deserved to lose this game. They practically gave away base runners like they were coupons for a dozen doughnuts. If this is the way Cinci is going to play then this should be a cake walk.

The math might not add up but that's due to a Royals error and a couple strikeouts that got bad hops and Salvy couldn't play them properly.

Granted though, we gotta give a little credit where it's due to the Machine.

Todd Frazier had a p*** rocket hit at him and that dude caught the ball inches from the ground and rifled it to first to get a stunned Eric Hosmer out. I at first didn't think he caught it but sure enough, he did. So I got up and tipped my hat to Frazier... ain't nothin' wrong with making a web gem... even if it is the opposing team in the World Series.

And as the story usually goes, Big Game James was en fuego again. It's actually really nice to have the luxury of running a Cy Young winner out there every 3 games... something we will never take for granted. Looking at Shields' line, I actually think it's pretty comical that the only 2 runners he didn't pickoff scored...

I thought for sure that Cincinnati was going to blow us off the face of the Earth... Stay tuned for Game 2.

Last edited by royals19; 08-30-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #64
MVP

After a closed door meeting following Game 1, the Reds had a different air about them in Game 2... they looked like they were ready to kick butt and take names. I know it's just a video game but I was scared out of my mind when I watched them take the field. When you beat a team like that and you know that there probably isn't a chance of a repeat win, it's fairly reasonable to be scared.

And off of Big Jon Lester... the Reds went to work... systematically humiliating us in front of our home crowd. It's kinda like the kid that does something "cool" at school but the principal finds out and that kid gets laughed right out of town.

Under normal circumstances, we would've gone head hunting but the respect that we have for the machine is unprecedented... after all McGovern was the man who did find Pete Rose. However the Royals were committed to that scrub George Brett when McGovern tried to convince them to trade for him.

Regardless though, we could pick apart each guy on the team and say what they did was wrong... however, we're going to be blunt to keep this short.

Jon Lester... this is all you dude. You see, Lester has been extremely inconsistent this postseason so Joe Maddon felt that it would be best if we removed him from the rotation and placed Wade Davis in his slot. Wade Davis, who's tenure in KC was probably over, suddenly has a chance to earn a spot on next year's squad.... I had to put an ice pack on my head just thinking about how this Lester deal could go south. All his problems seem to stem from the stretch and then he gets all out of wack when he goes back to the windup.

Lester probably won't pitch the remainder of the postseason and we're hoping that he can get this thing figured out by next spring... if not, we might be forced to peruse alternatives.

Aside from Lester's struggles, David Lough is fighting just to hang on. He hit .302 this year but the fact of the matter is, the playoffs can erase all of that. And that's exactly what's happened to D-Lough. I want him to be successful but not at the cost of the team's success. In order to keep his roster spot, he really has to play out of his mind and hit like a #3 hitter, like he was in the regular season.

Matt Latos was dealing tonight. 4 hits, 10 strikeouts.... We just couldn't get ahead in the count. He got in our heads. Breaking pitches in fastball counts. Fastball's right down the middle on 0-2 counts... We were extremely confused.

A 4 hit shutout... we deserved it. I'm not going to spin this and tell how we should've won. When you play like absolute crap, this is what happens. It was bad to leave the good people of KC with a shutout but hopefully, we'll get a shot to prove our worth again up in the cool confines of Great American Ball Park.

Last edited by royals19; 08-30-2013 at 09:36 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »