Home

The Cardinal Way- Crops, Clydesdales and Championships

This is a discussion on The Cardinal Way- Crops, Clydesdales and Championships within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 25
Re: The Cardinal Way- Crops, Clydesdales and Championships

And with that folks, we'll go ahead and take you to Kansas City for the first two games of this four game set. I figured since it's nearly Christmas and it's the season of giving that I might as well entertain you with all 4 games. So grab your preferred holiday drink and a plate of cookies and get ready for some Cardinals-Royals action.

Now not only does this series have a lot of significance for both teams, it's also significant to me. This is my first game back in KC after ditching them in the waning days of "The McGovern Manifesto." Oddly enough, I don't miss it. I'm glad to be running with St. Louis because things seem to be going better than they previously have in any of my franchises.

OK, back to the action:

We showed up to KC with Adam Wainwright supposed to go against Ervin Santana in what was supposed to be arguably the best pitching matchup of the series. Instead of Santana however, the Royals rolled out Luis Mendoza. Who the hell wants to see Adam Wainwright pitch against Luis f'n Mendoza? Nobody that's who.

Mendoza didn't even make it out of the 4th inning due to his pitch count and overall ineffectiveness. David Freese (pictured above) practically lead the team today with his solo shot in the first and then another in the 4th...

Really the matchup of Mendoza vs. Wainwright tells all... I shouldn't have even had to recap this one.

Luckily though, Game 2 caught my eye and kept our focus. Shelby Miller, the touted rookie who's been snubbed by the team this year was going against Big Game James Shields.

I was geared up for an awe inspiring pitchers duel and that's exactly what we got. We scored early but Shields kept the deficit close for much of the game. Meanwhile, Miller pitched arguably his best game and racked up 9 strikeouts. Shields didn't pitch a bad game it's just that the Royals couldn't get him any run support.

On top of the lack of run support was also a lack of common sense... particularly on Miguel Tejada's part. He'd try to stretch out every single into a double, he'd always steal on the first pitch, heck he'd even try to score on every single ball hit to the outfield if he was on.

When I originally drew up the plan to play all four games, I was anticipating a good matchup and a strong series of good games but no... we leave KC and head back to St. Louis shaking our damn heads.

I've heard that sound 3 times... once was Babe Ruth, the second was Josh Gibson, and the third was Bo Jackson- Buck O'Neil

Old 12-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #34
MVP

While the St. Louis Cardinals were in Kansas City, shelling the Royals, Willie Singleton was back at Busch Stadium hosting a pre-draft workout. The concept of the pre-draft workout was fairly simple. Teams would invite prospects they were interested in drafting to a workout where they would showcase their various skills in front of the front office brass and the seasoned talent evaluators.

At this particular workout, the Cardinals had invited roughly 25 players they were interested in selecting... 8 of whom were up for consideration for the club's top selection at number 19.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout #1
Number 7- Dexter Lowrey please take the mound! Number 19 Boone Herrera step into the batter's box.
Willie stood with a few of his scouts and John Mozeliak behind a screen located behind the pitcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozeliak
This Lowrey kid is pretty good. Good fastball, excellent change piece... Scotty rank him #4 on the board.
One of the scouts scribbled down Lowrey's name on a legal pad.

Willie covered his mouth and turned to Mozeliak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie
John, we ain't gonna be able to draft this kid... He's too good. Word on the block is that the Mets are hot on him.
Quote:
Scotty, move him down to #9. Is this that Herrera kid you've been raving about?
Lowrey wound up and threw a fastball on the inside of the plate to Herrera. Herrera turned on the pitch and launched it into the 2nd deck in right field.

Quote:
I like him and 5 of the scouts who've seen him think he's the top outfielder in the draft.
Quote:
Is signability an issue?
Quote:
Yeah, I've talked to his parent and he'll take nothing less than 2 to forfit his scholarship to North Carolina.
Quote:
Yeah, 2 is probably gonna be too steep for us. We need to be creative this year... Our bonus pool is ****in insulting.
There was a pause as Mozeliak watched Herrera hit another shot; this time into left field.

Quote:
You told me there was another kid I should see, where is he?
Quote:
Oh yeah. Number 23! Craig Romo! Please step into the batter's box!
The short yet muscular kid dug into the batter's box.

Quote:
This kid is just as good as Herrera... if not better. He's an easy sign; committed to a junior college... wants to play pro ball.
Quote:
What's the comp?
Craig Romo launched a line drive into the left center gap.

Quote:
This kid has the best bat speed I've ever seen on an amateur prospect. As far as comps go, the scouts are torn between Mike Trout and Ken Griffey Jr.
Quote:
We've got a chance to draft both these guys right?
Quote:
Yeah, we're looking at a situation similar to last year's with Meadows and Frazier.
Quote:
Alright, I want reports on both these guys on my desk by friday. We're putting our draft board together this weekend.

I've heard that sound 3 times... once was Babe Ruth, the second was Josh Gibson, and the third was Bo Jackson- Buck O'Neil

Old 12-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #35
MVP

Alright, and we're back to finish off this Royals series and tie up the storyline before the holiday. So grab some milk and cookies and sit back and enjoy the December baseball action.

So on tap today, we've got the tail end of the 4 game set vs. KC.

After winning the first two games in KC, we flew back to St. Louis anticipating another pair of wins vs. the back half of the Royals rotation. We'd gotten through Luis Mendoza and James Shields... surely Wade Davis wouldn't bog us down.

But he did.

The 85 mph hook set up by the 95+ octane was nearly impossible to hit. We came close multiple times against him but we could never quite figure things out. On our side, Lance Lynn turned in another god-awful start allowing 7 hits in just 3 innings.

After dropping Game 3, our attention turned to Game 4.

Again, we damn near lost because of shouty pitching but Matt Holliday was on his A-game for a change and hit a pair of dingers into the left field seats. After that 5 run third, we nearly blew the lead in the next 3 innings before the back end of the bullpen shut it down.

If there is one need we need to address at the deadline that isn't center field or shortstop, it's the bullpen. Right now, it's just the luck of the draw. Either we come up with an effective combo of revilers to secure the lead or keep it close or we don't.

We just need consistency out there in that pen.

Now about those scouting reports...

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #36
MVP

BOONE HERRERA

POSITION:OF
BATS: R
THROWS: R
HT:6'5
WT:222
COLLEGE COMMIT: North Carolina
STATE: New Jersey
COMP: Carlos Gonzalez

*Grades are assigned based on the traditional 20-80 scouting scale. Present Grade is given first followed by future Grade.

HIT-40/65

Herrera showed a quick bat that was good for his age. Bat speed was not elite but had the potential to grow into that range. Has trouble with putting the bat on the ball consistently at this point. Has a hitch when he attempts to hit breaking balls that could have disasterous results-could be fixed with proper instruction. likely he projects as a .270-.280 hitter at the big leagues.

POWER-60/80

Herrera has exceptional power for his age. Hit two homeruns at least 500 ft. according to various reports from our scouts. He's maxed out physically so the only way to add more power would have to come through mechanical adjustments.

RUN-40/50

The kid will be a below average runner in pro ball. He's too large to effectively play center field so he'll be relegated to left field. We could expect 5-10 stolen bases at the big league level but that's opptomistic at best. Baserunning ability to tremendously raw; a liability on the base paths.

ARM-50/70

His throwing mechanics are interesting; will have to change if he wants to play outfield at the big league level. Will have to work on arm strength; in a perfect world he has Jacoby Ellsbury type arm in one of the corner spots. We could probably get 10-15 assists from him a year.

FIELDING-50/60

A liability currently in the outfield. He's much too physical to be a plus defender however he could be at least average if he works hard on his routes. Current defensive skills point to left field. Might win one or two gold gloves in a perfect world.

OVERALL

Herrera will be an average defender at the big league level but has impact potential offensively. Will more than likely stick in Left Field with an outside chance to play right field. Could see him as a potential long term replacement for Matt Holliday in left field. Herrera's most associated comp among our scouts is Carlos Gonzalez minus the defensive mobility and skill. Herrera most closely associates with Gonzalez's game changing ability rather than his build. Reports have his ceiling at All-Star to potential MVP candidate at his peak. His floor is that of a 4th or 5th outfielder.

The key to his potential lies in his glove and while he has an exceptional work ethic, it's nearly impossible to envision him as a plus defender. Therefore, I'm lead to believe that he will not win MVP awards and that he will instead develop into a nice All Star.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #37
MVP

CRAIG ROMO

POSITION:OF
BATS:R
THROWS:R
HT:5'11
WT:179
COLLEGE COMMIT: Florida State
STATE: Massachusetts
COMP: Mike Trout
*Gatorade National Player of the Year (2013)

HIT:65/75

Despite just being in high school, Romo already has a polished hit tool that is most reminisent of Kolten Wong's when he came out of college. The bat speed on Romo is incredible; haven't seen this bat speed on a prospect since Bryce Harper in 2010. Has popeye forearms that generate most of his power. He'll probably develop into a nice .290+ hitter at the big league level.

POWER:50/70

Romo generates all of his power from his quick wrists and forearms. If we can get him to use his whole body we're sitting on an incredible power threat. The absolute floor with his power would be a 15-20 homerun threat. At his peak he's capable of 30+. He had 47 home runs in his senior season setting the record for Mass.

RUN:65/70

Romo has the prototypical speed you would expect from a center fielder. As he matures physically, he should be able to gain an extra step or two. He's still getting used to switching to the outfield from shortstop. With time, his run tool will get significantly better. Great form.

ARM:60/60

His current arm will work in Center Field. If for whatever reason he can't play center, then he'll have more than enough arm to play left field. His arm isn't anything special but it projects to be as average. Combine this with his run tool and he shouldn't have any problem holding down center field.

Prototypical center fielder.

FIELDING:50/55+

Still has a lot to learn about the outfield but he should get better with time. At worst, he's a below average defender and plays left field. At best, he's a first division fielder in Center Field. Hard to grade out his defensive potential because the sky is the limit with the kid.

Romo does need to be more consistant in the outfield and as mentioned earlier, routes are poor and doesn't have understanding of where to throw the ball, reactions need to improve as well.

OVERALL

Craig Romo is essentially a spitting image of last year's Clint Frazier minus the red hair. Nearly the same frame wise and tool wise. Romo is a baseball rat and will spend all day at the park if he can. His love for baseball is unquestionable. Monster in the weight room. Our scouts comp him to Mike Trout but Romo prefers the ones to Bryce Harper because of his work ethic and explosiveness.

Talking to the scouts, they all feel Romo has one of the highest cielings in the draft and the only knock is he probably will not be available at 19. If he is, we're looking at potentially the greatest draft steal since Trout.

If this kid is available, we must take him, no question. He is perhaps the top talent in the draft next to Felix Pena. We are in more need of pitching but Romo is an impact talent we can't pass up.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #38
MVP

And with those reports for you to savor, we'll go ahead and shut things down for the holidays.

COMING UP AFTER THE BREAK...

Quote:
1. Who will Willie Singleton and the Cardinals select at #19? Do they go with the towering future star Boone Herrera? Or do they go with the wunderkid Craig Romo (no relation to Tony-Thank God.)

2. What other tasty draft treats do the Cardinals have in store?

3. Chris Carpenter returns... and he's good.

4. Who will be injured next? Shelby Miller, Allen Craig? Heck, it might even be Adam Wainwright!

5. And lastly, what ever happened to Jon Jay? Don't worry, we haven't forgotten about St. Louis' favorite son.

Oh yeah, and the plot is about to get deeper... we're talking Mariana's Trench deep folks.

Until then, Happy Holidays!
-royals19

Old 12-25-2013, 04:03 AM   #39
MVP

OVR: 6

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and your family Royals.

You can call it being a "Homer". But as Tupac said, its California Love.

My Teams
NFL- San Francisco 49ers
NBA- Los Angeles Lakers
NHL- Anaheim Ducks
MLB - Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
NCAA - USC
Old 12-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #40
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxxerx
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and your family Royals.
Thanks for the holiday wishes dude. I'm a little late on the draw but regardless, I hope you and your family had a very merry Christmas.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »