Home

Pride. Power. Pinstripes: New York Yankees Dynasty

This is a discussion on Pride. Power. Pinstripes: New York Yankees Dynasty within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2014, 10:20 PM   #9
Rookie

DJeterFan2's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Pride. Power. Pinstripes: New York Yankees Dynasty

Offseason In Review: New York Yankees

By: Shawn Matheson|ESPNNewYork.com [March 8, 2015 at 3:34 pm CDT]

The Yankees invested in the FA market to improve the holes in their infield. GM Brian Cashman expects Chase Headley and Jed Lowrie to thrive in Yankee Stadium. Meanwhile, Max Scherzer will join the Yankees Rotation making it one of the best in baseball. Yankees fans are excited about the upcoming season. GM Brian Cashman should be applauded for improving the ballclub without sacrificing much in the way of prospects.

Major League Signings

Max Scherzer, RHP: Five years, $110MM. $20MM Player option for 2020.
Chase Headley, 3B: Five years, $90MM.
Jed Lowrie, 2B: Four years, $48MM. $15MM vesting option for 2019.
Jason Hammel, RHP: Two years, $16MM.
Brendan Ryan, SS: One year, $11.7MM.

Trades and Claims

Acquired SS Didi Gregorius from the Diamondbacks in exchange for C John Ryan Murphy

Notable Losses

Ichiro Suzuki, Derek Jeter, Hiroki Kuroda, Brian Roberts, Alfonso Soriano.

Needs Addressed

After winning the World Series in 2014, the Yankees needed to upgrade their rotation after the retirement of Hiroki Kuroda. GM Brian Cashman did just that by signing the top free agent starter, Max Scherzer to a five-year deal. Scherzer emerged as the ace of the Tigers rotation as Verlander began to show signs of decline. He followed up his Cy Young award winning 2013 season with another great campaign in 2014 by posting a 15-9 record with a 3.10 ERA and 204 Strikeouts. Manager Joe Girardi told reporters that he expects Scherzer to be the number 2 starter in the Yankees Rotation.

The other greatest need addressed for the Yankees was their infield. The Yankees were not able to land the premier position playing free agent in Hanley Ramirez, however, the Yankees were able to land Chase Headley and Jed Lowrie. Lowrie and Headley are immediate upgrade of the combination of Brian Roberts and Avisail Garcia at second and third base. While Garcia provided solid contributions on offense, he had no business at 3rd base in 2014. The Yankees are hoping that Yankee Stadium plays well to the swings of Headley and Lowrie, both of whom contributed 20 home runs to their former ballclubs in 2013.

Questions Remaining

The only question that remains for the Yankees is the depth of the farm system. By trading away most of their talent in 2014 and not having the greatest of drafts, the MLB roster will need to remain healthy over the next few years and Cashman and the Steinbrenner's look for ways to develop the prospects they have now and will draft in 2015.

Overview

The Yankees have done enough to improve their ballclub in the short term, however, by trading away nearly all of their outfield talent in 2014, Ellsbury, Garcia, and Gardner must continue to provide value for the Yankees as there are not fallback options. With their competitors in the AL East making very little moves in the offseason, the Yankees are the favorites to win the AL East. Our experts have picked the Blue Jays to finish in second and the Red Sox, Orioles, and Rays to follow in that order.

GM Brian Cashman was under the microscope in 2014, for the nearly half a billion dollars that was committed to free agents. His team responded by winning it all in 2014. Going forward the Yankee faithful will need to put more trust in their organization.

2015 New York Yankees Opening Day Roster

Spoiler
Old 06-26-2014, 08:27 PM   #10
Rookie

DJeterFan2's Arena

It's finally opening day in the Bronx. The start of the 2015 season begins.

Series Recap below:

Yankees' newcomers Max Scherzer and Chase Headley pace Yankees as they take 3 games out of 4 in Season Opening Series

Game 1: The Yankees beat up David Price in Opening Day win

Yankees 9, Tigers 5

The Yankee lineup proved how powerful they can be as they knock around David Price for 5 runs in 5 innings. Jed Lowrie and Carlos Beltran each went deep on opening day. Yankees starter Masahiro Tanaka pitched 7 innings giving up 3 runs in the process. After the game, Manager Joe Girardi said, "This is the kind of team that can go out and score in bunches. The blend of speed at the top, power in the middle and youth at the bottom of the lineup can be problematic for some opposing teams. This type of performance of one of the top lefty's in the game has to be inspiring for our guys."

Game 2: Max Effort: Max Scherzer throttles Rays' in Yankees Debut

The Yankees committed $110MM to their #2 starter Max Scherzer in the offseason. In his first game as a Yankee he showed the Yankees exactly what they were looking for. Scherzer was dominant throughout the entire game, leaving the Rays hitters asking themselves if they have holes in their bats.

The only Rays hitter who seemed to have a normal bat was Desmond Jennings, who went 2-2 against Scherzer with 2 home runs and 2 walks. After the game, Scherzer told reporters that he'll have to get used to the types of home runs the new Yankee Stadium will yield. He also added that "those paint scrapers" would've been F-7's and F-9's at Comerica Park.

Meanwhile, the Yankees offense continued their hot start as they pushed across 17 runs. Rays starter Matt Moore did not have his greatest stuff from the start as the Yankees put on a 5 spot against him. The Yankees incumbent third baseman Chase Headley provided all the offense that Scherzer need with a 2 Home Run game. That was enough to take player of the game honors away from Scherzer. After the game, Manager Joe Girardi joked by saying, "You know, if we can go out there and put up 17 runs a game this season, I think we'll be okay. If only we could've saved about 10 of those runs for tomorrorw's game just to give our guys a chance to relax."

Game 3: Walk This Way: After demonstrating patience against Lee, Rays Re-Joyce

Cliff Lee worked hard through 6 shutout innings, scattering 5 hits and striking out three. However, he ran into trouble in the 6th as the Rays demonstrated patience at the plate as the first two batters drew walks. After a strike out of Wil Myers and a walk to Longoria, the bases were loaded for James Loney. Loney was able to scratch across one run via a sac fly. The runners were able to safely advance on a fielder's choice to 1B.

That brought up Yankee-killer Matt Joyce who did it again. A soft ground ball up the middle that scored two and gave the Rays a 1-run lead. Joyce promptly scored on a well placed double in the left-center gap by Aaron Hill giving the Rays a 4-2 lead going into the bottom of the 7th.

Brian McCann homered to lead off the 7th to pull the Yankees within one run. In the 9th inning, Grant Balfour walked Brian McCann with two outs. McCann was lifted for a pinch runner in Brendan Ryan, who subsequently stole second base. At the plate was Avisail Garcia. Unfortunately for the Yankees, Garcia swung at ball 4 and hit a groundball to third to end the game.

After the game, Cliff Lee said that the loss falls on him as he got complacent in the 7th inning. David Phelps pitched 2 stellar innings out of relief giving up 1 hit and striking out three.

Game 4: This game was simulated: Ivan Nova wins in his return to the Yankees: Yankees 3, Rays 1
Old 06-28-2014, 03:59 AM   #11
Rookie

DJeterFan2's Arena

The Mariners visit the Bronx for a 3-game set.

How Sweep It Is!: Yankees Sweet Swings Sends Seattle home via Sweep

Game 1: This game was simulated, the Yankees take game one of the series, 3-1, behind 7 innings of quality pitching from Jason Hammel. Javier Baez went deep in this game.

Game 2: The Yankees walk off after a wild Chase.

Tanaka pitched 8 brilliant innings in his second start of the season. His only hiccup came on a Robbie Cano opposite field home run in the first. After the first inning, Tanaka made the M's hitters look foolish at the plate. After the game, Tanaka told reporters, "I knew that pitch was gone after I started my wind up. Cano is a great hitter who knows this park well. My 2-seam didn't run away like I wanted it to and he put a good swing on it." That pitch was the best swing the Mariners had for the remainder of the ballgame.

On the other side of the mound was James Paxton. The Yankees struggles against left handed pitching has been well documented throughout the past season, and today was no different. Paxton recorded 12 strikeouts in the game. Manager Joe Girardi mentioned the quality of young arms that the M's have. "You've got Hernandez, Iwakuma, Walker, Paxton. That's a pretty good set of arms there. The M's have got a great future and it showed tonight. Our hitters pretty much looked helpless tonight."

In the 9th inning, Paxton was removed from the ballgame and was relieved by Fernando Rodney. The top of the order as well as the whole Yankees lineup was relieved to see Paxton go. Gardner lead off the inning with a single to right. After a Jacoby Ellsbury sacrifice, Chase Headley was at the plate with the game on the line. As cool as a cucumber, Headley lined a base hit into right center to score Gardner and seal the victory for the Yankees.

Manny Banuelos earned player of the game honors for pitching a perfect 9th inning. In the postgame interview, Banuelos mentioned making the most of his opportunities. "I know that I'm coming into an environment where you're expected to succeed before the first pitch. I've been in this organization long enough to know what it takes. My goal is to be a starter, but I'm happy to provide for the team in anyway possible."

Game 3: Baez's single sinks Mariners

The matchup was great on paper. Max Scherzer vs. Felix Hernandez. Though each starter didn't pitch terribly, both were gone by the 5th inning. Scherzer gave up a 2-run homer in the first inning which was the beginning of a long night of work for Max. "I just didn't have a feel for all my pitches tonight. Manny was great out of the pen. He really did his job well, and saved those guys down there a lot of work. My hats off to him", Scherzer said.

Great he was, Banuelos pitched five no hit innings of relief as Scherzer was not able to make it out of the 5th inning after serving up 2 home runs on 100 pitches. Banuelos' effort out of the pen earned him Player of the Game honors for the second consecutive day.

With a long stint of relief in the series finale, Banuelos believes he knows what his role is for the Yankees. "I believe that my role is similar to the role that David Phelps and Alfredo Aceves have had in the past. To be the guy that my team can rely upon to get one out, nine outs, or fifteeen outs. Whenever my bullpen coach calls my name Ill be ready.

The true hero of today's game was Javier Baez. After a series to forget to begin, the season, Baez feels as if his bat is finally coming around. "In Chicago, I felt like I had to be a difference-maker on offense. Here in New York, while the spotlight is brighter, I feel like I can relax at the plate and take the stress out of each at bat. With guys we have 1-5 in our lineup, it allows guys like Avisail and myself to be a little more loose at the plate."

The inning started with a Brian McCann flyout to deep right field. After Avisail Garcia reached on a single, Manager Joe Girardi put on the hit-and-run for Jed Lowrie at the plate. "The game is knowing when to take risks. We like to play all styles of baseball. Some days when our offense is struggling, we'll have to find ways to get some runs in.", Girardi said during the post-game interview. Lowrie delivered a basehit to right field which allowed Garcia to advance to 3rd. Baez was 0-3 at the plate going into the at bat. Baez roped a solid line drive to left field to score Garcia and seal the sweep for the Yankees.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2014, 04:37 AM   #12
Rookie

DJeterFan2's Arena

Hey all. Just wondering if you guys/gals could offer some feedback on the presentation of my chise.

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2014, 06:17 AM   #13
Rookie

DJeterFan2's Arena

It's a rematch of the 2014 American League Championship Series: Yankees. Tigers. Let's Do It!

Series Recap below:

Game 1: This game was partially simulated. The 6th inning did Cliff Lee in again as he gave up 4 runs to give the Tigers a 4-3 lead. A Jack by Jacoby tied the game in the 7th. However, the Yankees lose a heartbreaker as the Tigers sink the Tigers on a walk-off home run in the bottom of the 9th by Alex Avila.

Game 2: Yankees win big, lose Ivan Nova to "arm fatigue"

The Yankee bats woke up against Tigers pitcher Drew Smyly. Small ball and the long ball keyed the Yankees 9-run attack. After Detroit scored two early runs in the game, the Yankees responded immediately in the top of the third on a 3-run shot by player of the game Carlos Beltran. Ivan Nova pitched a great game thought was only able to go the requisite 5 innings for his victory. After the game, Nova said that he felt like he was out of gas after 75 pitches. "I had to will my way through that 5th inning of work.", said Nova.

Nonetheless, the Yankees were able to win the game rather comfortably. In the post-game interview Carlos Beltran mentioned his struggles at the plate. "My timing just isn't there right now. I think it's a part of the process in getting back to playing ballgames on an everyday basis. I hope that the home run can get me back on track here." Going into the game, Beltran was batting .189 with 1 home run and 4 RBI.

In the post-game interview, Girardi mentioned that Nova will need to pace himself after coming back from Tommy John Surgery. "He's gonna need to understand that he'll have to work his way back slowly. We may skip his next start depending on how his bullpen goes."

In the finale of the series, the Yankees send Jason Hammel to the hill.

Game 3: This game was fully simulated. Hammel continued his solid start to the 2015 campaign by tossing 8 innings of 1-run baseball. Yankees' rookie outfielder, Ramon Flores, came through in the top of the 11th inning by hitting a 2-run home run to right to give D-Rob the chance to shut the door in the bottom half.

The 8-2 Yankees will travel to Chicago for a 3-game set against the cubs.

Last edited by DJeterFan2; 06-28-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:41 PM   #14
Rookie

DJeterFan2's Arena

Two of baseball's most storied franchises meet as Baez returns to his old stomping grounds in the south side of Chicago. Yankees. Cubs. It's on.

Series Recap:

Baez Wreaks Havoc Against Former Team.

Game 1: Tanaka and Baez shows the Cubs faithful what they're missing out on.

Javier Baez returned to Chicago with a boom from his very first at-bat. A big 3-run home run in the 2nd inning of Cubs starter Jake Arrieta. The fans booed him slightly, but the trade wasn't his fault. "He was struggling here in Chicago, and Cash felt as if we had an opportunity to acquire him. We sent a lot of talent over here to Chicago, but we felt that Javy could be the guy to lead this next core of Yankees in the future", Girardi said during the post-game interviews. Baez finished the game 1-3 with that 3-run home run.

Masahiro Tanaka returned to Chicago with one thing in mind. Exact revenge for last year's loss in which the Cubs hit him hard. This time around, Tanaka was excellent through eight innings of work. He struck out 9 Cubs and scattered 3 hits en route to player of the game honors. After the game, Tanaka said, "I wanted to be aggressive early against the Cubs batters. McCann and I had a gameplan and we executed it really well. My curveball and splitter were there tonight. That was the key for me tonight. I felt like I could've completed the game, but with a big lead, Girardi said that I should shut it down for the night."

Game 2: Scherzer and Wood each twirl gems in classic pitchers duel.

Old school baseball fans would be proud of a game like this one. Each starter brought their A-game in this one. The Cubs needed a great start from their starter in this one after their bullpen was used extensively in last night's game. Travis Wood answered the call and then some. His only hiccup came in the fourth inning on a sacrifice fly by Mark Teixeira.

Throughout the entire ball game he had the Yankees batters off balance. "His circle change up was really effective tonight. Any time you can get that kind of deception and movement on a pitch, it's going to be a really tough night", said Headley during the post-game interview.

Yankees starter Max Scherzer was just as brilliant going 7 innings of 3 hit baseball while striking out 8. His effort earned him player of the game honors. In the post-game interview Scherzer said, "Travis pitched one hell of a ball game today, I knew that I had to be on my game today, because if I gave up 2 or 3 runs, that may have sealed the loss for us today. I felt as if my fastballs had more life today. I was able to get a head in the count with it then work with the soft stuff later in the count and the second time throughout the line up."

The Yankees were able to tack on a couple of insurance runs in the top of the 9th to give David Robertson some breathing room. Robertson pitched a 1-2-3 9th inning to pick up his 3rd save of the season.

Game 3: A late inning classic goes down to the wire.

Before the game, Yankees shortstop, Javier Baez, let reporters know that he wanted to leave Wrigley with a bang. He did just that as in the fourth inning after being brushed back by Cubs Starter Jeff Samardzija, Baez sent the next pitch deep into the bleachers in left-center. The Cubs fans were angry at this point as their former SS circled the bases slowly after seeing the ball back on the field. Baez finished the series going 4 for 12 with 2 home runs and 5 RBI.

Meanwhile, Yankees starer Cliff Lee was excellent through 7 innings of work giving up only one run while striking out 8. However, things took a turn for the worst when Lee came out in the 8th with the Yankees up 3-1. Lee walked the lead-off man and gave up a double to Anthony Rizzo on the following pitch. Lee was relieved by Phelps. Phelps was not able to keep the lead intact as he gave up a single up the middle to Justin Ruggiano, followed by a sacrifice fly by Wellington Castillo.

The Cubs and Yankees traded zeroes until the top of the 10th inning when Avisail Garcia came through with a big home run to right center field. With Robertson warm since the 9th inning, he felt great going into the 9th. However, the cubs were able to rally to put on the winning runs at 2nd and 3rd. With Jorge Soler at the plate against David Robertson on the mound, it's time for another edition of:

Who Kept Their Cool Presented by Wrigley 5 Cobalt Peppermint Gum:

Spoiler

Old 06-29-2014, 08:15 PM   #15
Rookie

DJeterFan2's Arena

The Yankees travel north of the border for this AL East matchup. Yankees. Jays. Right Now.

Games 1 and 2 of this series were simulated. The Yankees lost the game on a couple of late inning heroics by the Jays. The first game, the Yankees lost 6-5 on a 7th inning go-ahead home run by Jose Bautista. The Yankees lost game 2 of the series 2-1 on a 9th inning walk off home run by Jose Reyes.

Game 3: The Jays and Yankees finish the series with another late-inning classic.

In the finale, the Yankees sent ace Masahiro Tanaka to the mound. With the Yankees in a bit of a funk and on a losing streak, Tanaka was determined to be the stopper. "As the ace of this staff, it is my job to right the ship when we're in a flux.", Tanaka said before the game.

Tanaka, however, was not particularly effective in the ball game. The Jays had their gameplan and executed it well. The Jays put up 4 runs early in the game within the first three innings, including a long 2-run home run by Edwin Encarnacion. After 4 innings, the Jays had a 4-1 lead.

However, the fortunes of the Yankees changed in the middle innings. The Yankees were able to tack on a couple of runs on a Brian McCann 2-run double in the 5th. In the 6th, after Yankees rookie outfielder Ramon Flores led off the inning with a double to right-center, Cervelli worked out a walk setting up Brett Gardner with 2 on and no one out. On a 3-2 pitch with the runners going, Gardner lined a rope into right-center field for a 2-run double and a 5-4 lead. In the process Gardner was able to get Tanaka off the hook and 5 gutty, yet sub-par innings pitched.

The Yankees were able to tack on an insurance run via a solo home run by Carlos Beltran. In the bottom half of the 9th, closer David Robertson got into trouble. After a Goins line out and consecutive singles Gose and Reyes, the Jays were set up with the winning run on base. Robertson was able to get OF Kenny Wilson to ground out to short on a fielder's choice, which allowed Gose and Reyes to advance to 2nd and 3rd. With the game on the line, it was David Robertson vs. Edwin Encarncion, in another edition of:

Who Kept Their Cool Presented by Wrigley 5 Cobalt Peppermint Gum:

Spoiler

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2014, 10:03 PM   #16
Rookie

DJeterFan2's Arena

One of the best rivalries in baseball gets underway in the Bronx. Yankees. RedSox.

Series Recap:

The Red Sox give the Yankees their all in the series.

Game 1: Lester vs. Scherzer: A Pitcher's Duel Throughout.

Lester was sharp on the mound. In his career at Yankee Stadium, Lester has always given the Yankees fits. Tonight was no different. Lester struck out 11 Yankees in 6 and two-thirds innings. "He was on again tonight. The curveball/fastball combo had us off-balance all night. The movement and speed of those two pitches is what makes him great.", said Gardner during the post game interview.

Lester's counterpart, Max Scherzer was just as good through 7 innings as he struck out 5 while giving up only 2 earned runs. "I don't think I was my best today. I gave up too many hits and walks and got into a lot of deep counts. Fortunately, I was able to make the right pitches in those situations. It seems as if my opponent in on his game when i'm on the mound. I'd prefer it that way as it forces me to be my best every time out.", Scherzer told reporters after the game.

The game was tied at 2-2 until the seventh inning when the hero of the game was Yankees Shortstop Javier Baez. With one on and two outs in the bottom of the 7th, Baez ripped a solid base hit up the middle to score the go-ahead run. "Lester was tough as nails all night, I wouldn't say he made a mistake there, I was just fortunate enough to get enough wood on the ball to get it through.

The Yankees added an insurance run in the 8th to give David Robertson a 4-2 lead in the 9th. D-Rob was able to come in the 9th to pick up the save giving the Yankees the series opening victory.

Game 2: Buchholz throttles Yankees in shutout victory.

Clay Buchholz shut down the Yankees from the very first pitch. After a 5-run first inning which included a Mike Napoli 3-run Home Run, Buchholz was able to set his own pace to the game and stymie the Yankee hitters. "I felt comfortable out there, fortunately, the guys gave me a huge lead and I was able to relax out there.", Buchholz said. The Yankee hitters were all but relaxed. They were out of their element all night and left cursing to themselves in anger and frustration.

Yankees starter Cliff Lee was tagged for 6 runs in 2 and a third innings in the ballgame, including a long 3-run home run by Mike Napoli which set the tone early. "Didn't have it. Simple as that.", Lee told reporters after the game. The Yankees left hander falls to 0-2 on the season with a 6.17 ERA. Reporters asked Joe Girardi how patient he will be with Lee, "He's a veteran, he'll figure it out. We're not asking him to be superman out there so there's no pressure to figure it out now and fast. He'll be okay."

Game 3:

Spoiler

Game 4:

Spoiler

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »