Home

Equinox831's Los Angeles Angels (MLB 14: The Show)

This is a discussion on Equinox831's Los Angeles Angels (MLB 14: The Show) within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2014, 10:16 PM   #49
We're Going Farming

Equinox831's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Equinox831's Los Angeles Angels (MLB 14: The Show)

July 31st, 2014

Los Angeles, California --
Another season and another trade deadline. MLB players everywhere nervously waited around there phones to find out if they would be moved on one of the more active trade deadlines in recent memory.

Deadline Deals

The Milwaukee Brewers trade C Jonathan Lucroy and RP Brandon Kintzler to the Tampa Bay Rays for SP David Price and 3B Richie Shaffer

The Chicago White Sox trade SS Alexei Ramirez to the San Diego Padres for SP Max Fried, SP Matt Wisler, and SS Everth Cabrera

The Chicago Cubs trade SP Jeff Samardzija and SP Jason Hammel to the San Diego Padres for SS Addison Russell

The Oakland Athletics trade OF Yoenis Cespedes to the Boston Red Sox for SP Jon Lester and LF Jonny Gomes

The Los Angeles Angels trade SP Mark Sappington to the Cleveland Indians for OF Carlos Moncrief
Old 08-06-2014, 10:19 PM   #50
We're Going Farming

Equinox831's Arena

So I only included deals I found interesting. I did a couple real life deals that were significant that I didn't include in the report. I tried to move Howie Kendrick, but it just wasn't happening unfortunately so I decided to grab an outfielder to put in the minors that can help moving forward. July recap coming soon.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:58 PM   #51
We're Going Farming

Equinox831's Arena

AL West Standings
1.) Texas Rangers: 62-46 (0 GB)
2.) Oakland Athletics: 56-51 (5.5 GB)
3.) Seattle Mariners: 56-52 (6.0 GB)
4.) Los Angeles Angels: 52-56 (10.0 GB)
5.) Houston Astros: 43-66 (19.5 GB)

August 1st, 2014

What's wrong in LA? After another weak month, the Angels are facing a 52-56 record and a 10 game deficit in the AL West. While they're not completely out of it, the Angels playoff hopes look grim. Before the All-Star break the Angels were 7-6 in July, after they went 4-9 to compile a 11-15 record. With the Rangers heating up with every passing day, the Angels need to focus on getting a wild card spot. While a little easier to accomplish, the Halos are still looking at a 4.5 game climb heading into the seasons final 2 months.

Despite the bleak implications of the season, Albert Pujols has been a man on fire all season. After earning his first All-Star appearance since 2010, Pujols is hitting .309 and is 2nd in the AL with 24 home runs and 3rd in RBIs at 76. At 34 years old Pujols is looking like a player that might just have another solid year or two left in him.

Past Pujols, the club has been pretty mediocre across the board. It doesn't show so much in the stats, but in clutch situations this Angels team is struggling mightily. The Angels are 16-24 in 1 run ball games this season and have a nasty habit of leaving men in scoring position. The Angels are tied for 25th in runs scored this season at 412 and 26th in RBIs with 405. Compare that with the division leading Rangers who are first in both categories with 538 runs and 530 RBIs while batting .279 as a team. Now keep that in mind and take a look at the Angels pitching numbers. As a team the Angels are 13th in ERA with 3.69, tied for 13th with 32 saves and tied for 8th with 13 blown saves. The Halos pitching staff is also 5th in hits allowed with 916, 12th in runs allowed with 423 and 15th in home runs allowed at 99. Also note the Halos are 4th in errors and fielding percentage with 47 and .988 respectively.

With all of that being said, the attention needs to be turned onto the Angels offense as the pitching staff is clearly holding up. The bullpen has taken the majority of the criticism this season, but with the trades made to acquire new talent it's clear that the offense is to blame for this seasons collapse. Mike Trout is only hitting .266. Really? It's time for change in LA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2014, 06:13 AM   #52
We're Going Farming

Equinox831's Arena

AL West Standings
1.) Texas Rangers: 77-59 (0 GB)
2.) Los Angeles Angels: 71-66 (6.5 GB)
3.) Seattle Mariners: 69-66 (7.5 GB)
4.) Oakland Athletics: 67-69 (10.0 GB)
5.) Houston Astros: 55-83 (23.0 GB)

September 1st, 2014

Last month fans, journalists, front office execs, and players alike called for change within the Angels clubhouse, fast forward 31 days and look what we have here. The Los Angeles Angels are officially in the playoff picture as they sit at 71-66, 2nd in the AL West, and are tied for 1st in the Wild Card standings. The month of August was very kind to the Angels as they went 19-10 and at one point cruised to a 8 game wining streak. The start of the month looked to be the same old Angels as they opened up the first week and change with a 2-6 record, but blazed home with a 17-4 finish.

Every facet of the Angels roster was clicking, but the reoccurring theme here is change. All season the Angels have ran their older infielders ragged with the amount of games they had to power through and as a result, production was down offensively. The solution to that problem? Sherman Johnson. 23 year old Sherman Johnson was called up from AAA Salt Lake at the very end of June and is looking absolutely fantastic. He has started at every single infield position and played in all 35 games since his call up and is taking it in stride. Johnson is hitting an impressive .302 with a .368 on-base percentage while driving in 14 runs and scoring 20 times. Sherman has solidified himself as a key piece to the Angels playoff push.

The other change was brought about my manager Mike Scioscia. In early May the Angels brought in Odrisamer Despaigne. OD performed very well out of the pen and really opened eyes within the organization. So much so that he was placed into the starting rotation by Scioscia at the expense of Garrett Richards. When asked about his reasoning the skipper said, "Garrett is still finding his footing out there on the mound. OD has a bit more experience on the international stage and seemed ready to get out there more often so we decided to switch their roles. Both of them are extremely valuable." Mike had no idea how right he was. OD has started 5 games for the Halos now and is 5-0 in those appearances. He has emerged as the solid 4th starter the Angels have needed and Richards looks to be added back to the rotation next season to create an incredible 5 man unit.

Let's not forget about our older faces now. Albert is still sizzling, now hitting .298 with 28 home runs and 96 RBIs. He's the unquestioned leader of the team and looks hungry for his third ring. Josh Hamilton had cooled off a bit from his hot start, but he's right back at it. Hamilton swung for the fences in August and hit 6 dingers to raise his total to 14 on the season to go along with his .282 average. Rounding out the big three is the prodigy Mike Trout. Trout has been electric during the Halos winning streak batting .350 with 3 home runs and 15 RBIs in the teams last 10 games. He's as hot as they come and the Angels are cruising.

One more month to go in the regular season and division play is at a premium. September is sure to be a blood bath as the AL West teams will all see each other for two tough series in the final month. Play ball.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:59 PM   #53
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

OVR: 22

What's the complete W.C. picture look like.

I assume if the Angels are sitting #1, then the M's are in the hunt for the #2 spot?

Also are you running 30 team control or do you just let the CPU make whatever trades it wants and if so has the M's made any?
Old 08-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #54
We're Going Farming

Equinox831's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce2223
What's the complete W.C. picture look like.

I assume if the Angels are sitting #1, then the M's are in the hunt for the #2 spot?

Also are you running 30 team control or do you just let the CPU make whatever trades it wants and if so has the M's made any?
I'm not near my PS4, but off the top of my head the Mariners are tied for 3rd and are half a game back from the Rays in the Wild Card. It's a tight race so I'll post the standings soon.. I'm thinking about going series by series through the last month.

I do run 30 team control, but I have trades set to auto so the CPU initiates trades, it's just my job to accept, reject, and modify.

Again, this is all from memory, but I don't think the Mariners made any big moves. I spent a lot of time with their roster at the deadline, but I don't think I found a suitable deal for them.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #55
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox831
I don't think the Mariners made any big moves. I spent a lot of time with their roster at the deadline, but I don't think I found a suitable deal for them.
If it were me, I would of made the Mariners, Rangers and A's all just AA teams talent wise. Don't need to worry about the Stros since they are a A team.

You can call it being a "Homer". But as Tupac said, its California Love.

My Teams
NFL- San Francisco 49ers
NBA- Los Angeles Lakers
NHL- Anaheim Ducks
MLB - Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
NCAA - USC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #56
MVP

OVR: 3

There's still time for a late run it looks like. Your team has been up and down all year, so I'm not sure if I'm ready to not think they won't cool off as a rebound from the hot play in August… I'm pulling for you, after the Texas Rangers clinch of course.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »