Home

Equinox831's Los Angeles Angels (MLB 14: The Show)

This is a discussion on Equinox831's Los Angeles Angels (MLB 14: The Show) within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2014, 02:21 PM   #1
We're Going Farming

Equinox831's Arena

OVR: 18
Equinox831's Los Angeles Angels (MLB 14: The Show)

System: PS4
Sliders: My Own (Subject to change throughout the course of the franchise)
Rosters: OD OSFM Hybrid v2.1 by Totte
Playing every 5th game so I rotate through starters, but updating monthly through regular season
30 Team Control
Trades will be kept realistic

Last edited by Equinox831; 08-04-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
We're Going Farming

Equinox831's Arena

Re: Equinox831's Los Angeles Angels (MLB 14: The Show)

Top Prospects
Times are a bit rough for the Angels farm system, but nevertheless, here are the Angels top prospects that can hopefully make an impact in the future.

1.) Taylor Lindsey - 2B - Age 21 - B Potential
Taylor Lindsey is a rare gem in the Angels farm system. While Lindsey isn't going to crank out 40 home runs a year, he is the kind of guy that has the potential to hit over .300. With an aging Howie Kendrick in front of him at 2B expect him to make his way up in the next 2 or 3 years.

2.) C.J. Cron - 1B - Age 24 - B Potential
C.J. Cron could prove to be a real headache for opposing defenses in the near future. At 24 years old Cron is developing quite a powerful swing as well as excellent fielding abilities. The dream is for C.J. and Mike Trout to be a deadly 1-2 punch in the 3 and 4 spots. With Pujols turning 34, Cron needs to develop sooner rather than later.

3.) Hunter Green - LHP - Age 18 - B Potential
Hunter Green is a total clubhouse guy that everyone in the organization is enamored with. Character doesn't always equate to success on the field, but that seems to be the case for Hunter. At only 18 years old Hunter has a ways to go, but he throws a solid 94 MPH four seam fastball and 89 MPH two seamer, along with a potentially dangerous 76 MPH curveball, and a slow moving 83 MPH changeup. He has the tools, but he's got a lot of work to do.

4.) Kaleb Cowart - 3B - Age 21 - B Potential
Kaleb Cowart is a project in every sense of the word. Kaleb has demonstrated the ability to be a real five tool player for the Angels in the coming years, but his skills are still so raw at 21 that it's raised some concern within the organization. If Kaleb can put it all together, we're looking at a solid switch hitter with a howitzer attached to his right shoulder.

5.) Mark "Thunderdragon" Sappington - RHP - Age 23 - C Potential
Good ole Thunderdragon. Mark Sappington is a bit more complete then the other gentlemen featured on this list, but he still needs to put in work. Sappington throws a thunderous, flame throwing, 95 MPH four seam fastball, along with a solid cutter. He also has a changeup and a slider to round out his repertoire. Sappington's problem is he's had consistency and control issues throughout his minor league career. If he can reel it in and become a solid ground ball pitcher, he could find himself as a #3 or #4 man in the Angels' rotation.

6.) Jose Rondon - SS - Age 20 - C Potential
A true 4 tool player. Jose can hit for contact, has above average fielding capabilities, and boasts some decent speed, but he couldn't hit a ball over a fence that's 15 feet in front of him. Could make an impact as a bottom of the lineup, defensive minded player for the Angels.

7.) Alex Yarbrough - 2B - Age 22 - C Potential
Man, this guy has a sweet swing. Yarbrough is an excellent switch hitting prospect that could be ready to make some pinch hitting appearances soon. Yarbrough is, as stated, a solid hitter, but he doesn't have too much power potential. He makes up for that shortcoming with above average speed and one hell of a glove over at second base. Another good 4 tool prospect.

8.) R.J. Alvarez - RHP - Age 22 - B Potential
Mr. Alvarez is a fireballer. He's been known to reach back and hurl a 97 MPH fastball and then make hitters look foolish with a hard breaking 83 MPH slider to back it up. Alvarez is looking like a guy that could come up and make an impact soon as a relief guy. The best case scenario is he becomes the future closer for the Angels, at the worst he's a solid guy out of the pen in the middle innings. I'd look for him to be a setup man in the next 2 or 3 years.

9.) Sherman Johnson - 2B - Age 23 - B Potential
The third second baseman featured on the list, Sherman Johnson is a solid player out of Florida State. If there was one thing Sherman Johnson was put on this earth to do, it was bat leadoff. Sherman is a very patient hitter that will find himself on base often, and when he gets there he's always a threat to steal. Johnson also has above average fielding abilities and should be a solid player for the next couple of years. Realistically, Johnson could get the call in the next year as he's a bit more complete than most of the Angels prospects, but his long-lasting impact with the club is in doubt.

10.) Eric Stamets - SS - Age 20 - C Potential
One last infielder to warp things up, here is Eric Stamets. Stamets claim to fame within the organization is his plate vision. You won't see him swing and miss very often, and that's great news because when he hits the ball the chances of it finding the gap are pretty good. Another speedy guy with a good glove, the Angels will struggle to find a spot for him with all of the good infielders already in the system. Might find himself as the odd man out.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
We're Going Farming

Equinox831's Arena

Tempe, Arizona -- The Los Angeles Angels closed out a rather average Spring Training going 12-16 and finishing near the bottom of the Cactus League standings. "Spring Training isn't about winning or losing," Angels skipper Mike Scioscia commented, "We just wanted to get our guys ready for the season and give younger guys a trial run."

Despite his age, Albert Pujols started every game at first base for the Angels in Spring Training. Through the 28 games, Albert had 95 at bats and 24 hits for a .254 average to go along with a team leading 8 home runs. Hank Conger was another standout, though 81 at bats Conger amassed a .333 average with 6 home runs and a team leading 21 RBIs. Conger set himself apart from Chris Iannetta and is expected to be the teams Opening Day catcher.

Josh Hamilton, Howie Kendrick, Raul Ibanez, and Mike Trout all put together excellent Springs and look poised to perform well this season, but question marks were raised around projected starters Erick Aybar and Luis Jimenez. Ayber uncharacteristically hit for a lowly .222 and committed 3 errors while Jimenez couldn't get above the Mendoza Line and finished Spring batting .189. It's no secret that the Angels are a bit thin past their starters, so these guys will need to pick it up for the season.

On the mound Jered Weaver put together an excellent spring. In 6 starts and 12 appearances Weaver went 4-2 with a 1.50 ERA and a 0.73 WHIP. When asked about his performance Weaver was rightfully optimistic, "I feel great heading into the season. I had good control and the guys were really able to back me up out there." The same couldn't be said for the Angels ace C.J. Wilson.

In 6 starts and 11 appearances Wilson was 2-5 with a 7.71 ERA and 1.79 WHIP. Weaver allowed 36 his, 25 runs, 4 home runs, and issued 14 walks. As a result there's speculation about who is going to be the Angels #1 guy in the regular season. Weaver couldn't be reached for comment.

Rookie reliever Mike Morin seized the moment and turned in a solid Spring. In 15 appearances Morin lucked out and ended up with a win to go along with no runs allowed, 6 strikeouts, and a 0.87 WHIP. The 22 year old could find himself with a middle relief role in the regular season.

When reached for one final comment, Scioscia remarked, "I think we're ready. We had some issues in the Spring, but they'll be resolved by Opening Day. This is a winning ball club, and we'll accept nothing less."

The Angels open up the season against King Felix and the Mariners on March 31st.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #4
Pro

KingFry's Arena

OVR: 12

Good job so far. I like your overviews/descriptions.. will def be following, good luck!
Old 08-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #5
We're Going Farming

Equinox831's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFry
Good job so far. I like your overviews/descriptions.. will def be following, good luck!
Thanks! You know I've been loving your White Sox franchise so I'm glad to have you on board. Honestly it gave me the itch to start up another franchise of my own so thanks again!

Season preview will be out shortly. I'm just going to go over the lineups, 25 man roster, pitching staff, and a complete overview all at once so I can start playing games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2014, 05:05 PM   #6
MVP

slowpokemcgee's Arena

OVR: 7

An interesting choice. Have fun with Trout, I'll be following.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:11 PM   #7
Pro

KingFry's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox831
Thanks! You know I've been loving your White Sox franchise so I'm glad to have you on board. Honestly it gave me the itch to start up another franchise of my own so thanks again!

Season preview will be out shortly. I'm just going to go over the lineups, 25 man roster, pitching staff, and a complete overview all at once so I can start playing games.

Good luck!
Old 08-04-2014, 05:31 PM   #8
We're Going Farming

Equinox831's Arena

25 Man Roster

Starting Pitcher
C.J. Wilson - LHP - Age 33 - 81 Overall
Jered Weaver - RHP - Age 31 - 80 Overall
Tyler Skaggs - LHP - Age 22 - 79 Overall
Garrett Richards - RHP - Age 25 - 73 Overall
Hector Santiago - RHP - Age 26 - 73 Overall

Relief Pitcher
Joe Smith - RHP - Age 29 - 77 Overall
Ernesto Frieri - RHP - Age 28 - 75 Overall
Dane De La Rosa - RHP - Age 31 - 74 Overall
Fernando Salas - RHP - Age 28 - 72 Overall
Sean Burnett - LHP - Age 31 - 70 Overall
Kevin Jepsen - RHP - Age 29 - 68 Overall
Mike Morin - RHP - Age 22 - 68 Overall

Catcher
Hank Conger - Age 26 - 76 Overall
Chris Iannetta - Age 30 - 72 Overall

Infield
Albert Pujols - 1B - Age 34 - 89 Overall
Howie Kendrick - 2B - Age 30 - 82 Overall
Luis Jimenez - 3B - Age 26 - 72 Overall
David Freese - 3B - Age 30 - 66 Overall
Erick Aybar - SS - Age 30 - 85 Overall
John McDonald - SS - Age 39 - 71 Overall

Outfield
Josh Hamilton - LF - Age 32 - 78 Overall
Raul Ibanez - LF - Age 41 - 67 Overall
Mike Trout - CF - Age 22 - 94 Overall
Collin Cowgill - CF - Age 27 - 65 Overall
Kole Calhoun - RF - Age 26 - 73 Overall

Pitching Rotation
1.) L C.J. Wilson - 81 Overall
2.) R Jered Weaver - 80 Overall
3.) L Tyler Skaggs - 79 Overall
4.) R Garrett Richards - 73 Overall
5.) L Hector Santiago - 73 Overall

Bullpen
MRP: R Fernando Salas - 72 Overall
MRP: L Sean Burnett - 70 Overall
MRP: R Kevin Jepsen - 68 Overall
MRP: R Mike Morin - 68 Overall
SU: R Joe Smith - 77 Overall
SU: R Dane De La Rosa - 74 Overall
CP: R Ernesto Frieri - 75 Overall

Starting Lineups
vs. RHP DH
1.) S SS Erick Aybar
2.) R 2B Howie Kendrick
3.) R CF Mike Trout
4.) R 1B Albert Pujols
5.) L LF Josh Hamilton
6.) L DH Raul Ibanez
7.) S C Hank Conger
8.) R 3B Luis Jimenez
9.) L RF Kole Calhoun

vs. RHP No DH
1.) S SS Erick Aybar
2.) R 2B Howie Kendrick
3.) R CF Mike Trout
4.) R 1B Albert Pujols
5.) L LF Josh Hamilton
6.) S C Hank Conger
7.) R 3B Luis Jimenez
8.) L RF Kole Calhoun
9.) SP

vs. LHP DH
1.) S SS Erick Aybar
2.) R 2B Howie Kendrick
3.) R CF Mike Trout
4.) R 1B Albert Pujols
5.) L DH Raul Ibanez
6.) S C Hank Conger
7.) L LF Josh Hamilton
8.) R 3B Luis Jimenez
9.) L RF Kole Calhoun

vs. LHP No DH
1.) S SS Erick Aybar
2.) R 2B Howie Kendrick
3.) R CF Mike Trout
4.) R 1B Albert Pujols
5.) S C Hank Conger
6.) L LF Josh Hamilton
7.) R 3B Luis Jimenez
8.) L RF Kole Calhoun
9.) SP

AL West Prediction
1.) Angels
2.) Rangers
3.) Mariners
4.) Athletics
5.) Astros

Could 2014 be the year for the Angels? With many aging veterans like Albert Pujols, Josh Hamilton, Howie Kendrick, and Erick Aybar the Angels are in great shape in the AL West. The Angels have finished in the middle of the American League pack every year since their last playoff appearance in 2009, but with a core of old geezers and a young superstar in Mike Trout to lead the way, the Halos look poised to make a playoff push.

Despite not having the strongest pitching in the West, that crown goes to either the Mariners or the Athletics, the Angels look to make up for that in defense and offensive numbers. The Rangers are the only other team that can challenge the Angels offensive production.

The Halos main weaknesses will be bullpen pitching and overall depth. With a bunch of old guys, you can't expect them to play 162 games a season without breaking a hip so some youngsters are going to have to step up and play out of position. Out of the pen there isn't too much to lean on and that's a problem that might need to be addressed at the trade deadline, but for now Scioscia and the boys are content with what they've got.

The Athletics, Mariners, and possibly Rangers are all looking good as well. The A's and Mariners are priding themselves on youth and pitching, two things the Angels are seriously lacking so it could be interesting to watch things down the stretch. With all of the weapons the Rangers have acquired they're sure to score in bunches and give any pitching staff fits.

The AL West doesn't have a clear cut winner, but 4 teams are all going to vie for the title. With the overall strength of the American League, it's not too far fetched to think only 1 of these teams is going to get a shot at the postseason.

Oh, I almost forgot, the Astros have some good prospects and the first pick in the draft... That's about it... George Springer and Jose Altuve anyone? That Correa kid is alright too.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »