Home

Chasing History: A Road to the Show Report

This is a discussion on Chasing History: A Road to the Show Report within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2014, 11:39 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 35
Chasing History: A Road to the Show Report

Console: PS4
Game: MLB 14
Sliders: Using a combo of several slider sets
Difficulty: Hitting - Veteran, Fielding - Veteran (Pitching - N/A) (I plan to up the difficulty if the success level gets to be unfair and unrealistic.

Hello, everyone. Thought I'd give it another go as far as posting a dynasty in this forum. In this case, as you can see, it's a Road to the Show story. Admittedly, it's an RTTS player that I've already started up - so you will be joining in early on in the career, but not the very beginning. Hopefully, that's not too much of a sticking point for anyone deciding to follow. Also, for more information, i've got a page going on dynastynation.net. There will be more stats and info if anyone is interested.

BACK STORY:

Chase was drafted in the 2nd round (55th overall) by the New York Yankees in the 2013 Amateur Draft. After signing a few weeks later, he was brought in for low-A ball and by the time 2014 rolled around, the organization decided he was good enough to start the season with AA Trenton. Just over a month later, the meteoric rise continued, as the shortstop was promoted to AAA Scranton Wilkes-Barre. Happel had a successful year in the minors, hitting over .300 and driving in more than 50 runs. That earned him an invite to Spring Training. With legendary Yankee Derek Jeter lost to retirement and no solid replacement brought in during the offseason, Happel found himself in a position where he'd be starting 2015 with the big club - as the starting shortstop. His first season in the MLB has been nothing short of a roller coaster ride full of inconsistency. The Yankees have followed suit, struggling to get to the .500 mark. The calendar is about to turn to June. Can Happel fill the shoes of one of the best players to ever wear the pinstripes? Can he help the Yankees in their drive for a 28th World Series Championship? Those questions and much more will be answered along the way, and I hope you enjoy the journey as much as I do playing it and sharing it with you.

Last edited by Hapshoops32; 09-12-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2014, 11:44 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Chasing History: A Road to the Show Report

BRONX, New York (DN) - Two clubs fighting to climb up the standings nearly started a brawl on the field after a pitch got too close for comfort for Yankees rookie Chase Happel.  However, cooler heads prevailed and it was the Yankees who got back in the win column with a 5-1 victory.

It was clear that a sense of desperation was beginning to set in on both sides.  Baltimore and New York have both fallen below the .500 mark.  And, with the calendar switching to June soon, falling farther behind could prove disasterous.

"I realize it's only May, but both teams wanted this win badly, and the emotion attached to this game show that," said Yanks Manager Joe Girardi.

So, tensions were already high.  Add in a tightly played contest between American League East rivals, and you have a tinder box that's ready to explode.

Chase Happel crosses the plate with the go-ahead run in the 7th inning

Chase Happel crosses the plate with the go-ahead run in the 7th inning. (HapsCareers32 / DN)

That came to a head in the eighth inning.  A one-run game quickly exploded into a comfortable four-run lead for the Bronx Bombers thanks to back-to-back home runs off the bats of Jacoby Ellsbury and Mark Teixeira.  It appears that did not sit well with Orioles pitcher Rich Hill.  His second pitch to Happel was high and way inside, forcing the rookie to dive to the ground to get out of the way.

"I get that stuff like that is part of the game, but it's still cowardly if you ask me," commented an angry Happel.  "If you don't like it, strike me out.  Don't give up the damn home runs.  How about that?  Instead, you're going to throw at me because my teammates did their job and performed under pressure?  That's crap, plain and simple."

Hill denied any attempt to hit Happel, "He's just mad because it was near his head.  I get that.  But, I didn't throw at him.  I was trying to get inside on him, and it slipped out of my hand.  End of story.  He can cry about it all he wants.  Facts are facts."

Both benches came on to the field, but despite some heated conversations and pushing and shoving, nothing else came of it and no ejections were necessary.  The 19-year-old shortstop then got some revenge on Hill by lacing a 2-1 pitch down the right field line for a double.

"That one felt pretty damn good," admitted Happel.

Happel showed his heart and his hustle, sliding into second base for a double just a couple pitches after nearly being plunked in the head.

Happel showed his heart and his hustle, sliding into second base for a double just a couple pitches after nearly being plunked in the head.. (HapsCareers32 / DN)

The rookie also played another role in New York's big win.  With the score tied at one, he started a rally in the seventh inning by drawing a one out walk against Orioles starting pitcher Kevin Gausman, who had a no-hitter going until the sixth inning.  Carlos Beltran then laced a single just fair down the first base line, allowing Happel to advance to third base.  He would score the go-ahead run on a sacrifice fly by D.J. Peterson.

That was more than enough for New York starter C.C. Sabathia, who looked a lot more like his old self.  The veteran lefty tossed a complete game, giving up just the one run and five hits.

As it turned out, the Yankees would win by a more comfortable margin.  But, the significance of the win, and the fight back attitude of Happel and his teammates, could go a long way to turning around what's been a difficult start to the season.

"Games like this can prove to be a turning point.  Or, they can mean absolutely nothing.  Just because we had a good, high emotion win today doesn't mean that it's all going to fall into our lap now.  We need to play good baseball.  Hopefully, we can build on this," commented Girardi.

The Yanks now head out for three game set in Tampa Bay before meeting up with the Orioles once again, this time in Baltimore.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:51 PM   #3
Pro

Happel Sparks Offense as Yanks Take 2 of 3
Bronx Bombers Gaining Ground in AL East

ST. PETERSBURG, Florida (OS) - A 16-8 drubbing is part of what could be a statement series for the Yankees. New York managed to win two out of three games against the division-leading Tampa Bay Rays.

"After that Baltimore series, we really wanted to build some momentum," said Yanks shortstop Chase Happel. "We played really well over the last three games, and it feels like we're starting to turn the tide in a big way."

Happel lead the way in an extra innings victory to open the series. He also contributed to Thursday night's blowout win. Below is a recap of the three game set at Tropicana Field.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:25 PM   #4
Pro

MAY RECAP

Old 09-15-2014, 10:28 PM   #5
Pro

ROUGH ROAD: YANKS SUFFER 2ND STRAIGHT LOSS
Happel, Offense Struggle in Clutch Situations

BALTIMORE, Maryland (OS) - New York gets June off to a tough start, dropping a frustrating 3-1 contest to the Orioles to fall into last place in the A.L. East.

Baltimore has been a thorn in the Yankees side all season long, and that continued Monday afternoon at Camden Yards.  The Bronx Bombers bats were silenced by starter Steve Johnson, despite loading the bases in two separate innings.

"We just didn't take advantage of the situations right in front of us," commented young shortstop Chase Happel.  "I had a couple of chances to help us out today with runners in scoring position, and I just didn't get it done, plain and simple."

Specifically, Happel came up with the bases jammed with two outs in the top of the first inning but only managed a weak grounder to end the inning.  In the eighth, trailing by two runs, the 19-year-old had runners at first and second with one out.  However, could not even move the runners up, going down swinging.

The loss follows an 11-3 drubbing of New York in the previous game.  The Yanks now head off to Atlanta for the first half of a home-and-home series with the Braves.  Here is a look back at the series against the O's.

Last edited by Hapshoops32; 09-16-2014 at 07:20 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2014, 01:48 AM   #6
MVP

redsrulenc's Arena

OVR: 8

I may not comment in on this much, but I saw that no one had commented yet and wanted to show you some love for doing a RTTS when there aren't that many going on right now on here. Good luck in your career!

Run For The Playoffs - A Louisville Bats AAA dynasty

Gimmie A Hell! Gimmie A Yeah! - This is Blue Mountain State Football.

Single-A Baseball on The Show? Un-Flocking-Believable! - Go Myrtle Beach Pelicans!
Old 09-16-2014, 07:27 AM   #7
Pro

Thanks for checking in, redsrulenc! Your Myrtle Beach dynasty caught my eye as well - very cool that you're doing a franchise from a minor league team's perspective. Definitely very unique!
Old 09-16-2014, 10:38 AM   #8
MVP

redsrulenc's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapshoops32
Thanks for checking in, redsrulenc! Your Myrtle Beach dynasty caught my eye as well - very cool that you're doing a franchise from a minor league team's perspective. Definitely very unique!
Thanks a lot. That, paired up with my old Louisville Bats AAA dynasty shine a little light on the minor leagues, which was one of my plans all along. Glad to hear it caught your eye.

Run For The Playoffs - A Louisville Bats AAA dynasty

Gimmie A Hell! Gimmie A Yeah! - This is Blue Mountain State Football.

Single-A Baseball on The Show? Un-Flocking-Believable! - Go Myrtle Beach Pelicans!

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »