Home

Nowhere to Hide: A Brooklyn Nets Dynasty

This is a discussion on Nowhere to Hide: A Brooklyn Nets Dynasty within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

OVR: 19
Road to Nowhere: A Charlotte Hornets Story.

Road to Nowhere: A Charlotte Hornets Story.

The Charlotte Hornets were a model franchise of success, becoming instantly popular and a leader in attendance for several seasons . So what exactly led to the team moving away after fourteen years? We’ll take a look back at how one owner’s personal scandals led to a major rift between the city and team causing the NBA to have no choice but to step in and intervine.

NBA2K24 MyNBA Era's Settings
Roster: 2K3 In Progress (Mine)
Sliders: All Star
Draft Classes:2003 Draft Class
Season Length: 82 Games
Quarter Length: 12 Minutes
Normalized Played to Sim Minutes: Off
Normalized Played to Sim Stats: Off
Conference Quarterfinals: 7 Games
Conference Semifinals: 7 Games
Conference Finals: 7 Games
NBA Finals: 7 Games

Last edited by RMJH4; 04-23-2024 at 05:37 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Around the NBA

News Articles.

Storyline.

Last edited by RMJH4; 04-23-2024 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Schedule.

2002-03 Schedule.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: December 28th Eastern Conference

I follow you!! Let's go Nets!
Old 12-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

"We simply couldn't pass on Kobe." says M.L. Carr.

Depth Chart and Roster.

2002-03 Season.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Team History.

Expansion (1985-88)

In the mid-1980s, the NBA embarked on an expansion, adding four new franchises over two years, taking the league from 23 to 27 teams by 1989. George Shinn, along with local investors, pitched the idea of bringing pro basketball to Charlotte, North Carolina. The city's rapid growth and basketball history made it an attractive prospect. Charlotte's advantage over other cities was a new arena, the Charlotte Coliseum, with a capacity of 24,000 seats. On April 5, 1987, the NBA granted Charlotte a franchise, set to begin play in 1988 alongside Miami, with Minnesota and Orlando joining in 1989.

The Early Years (1989-95)

The Charlotte Hornets, initially set to be called the Spirit, embraced the city's history by adopting the name "Hornets," inspired by a revolutionary war reference. Their purple and teal colors and iconic pinstripe uniforms became popular. The team faced challenges on the court but enjoyed immense fan support, leading the NBA in attendance over its first seven seasons. Despite initial struggles, the Hornets drafted talents like Larry Johnson and Alonzo Mourning, leading to their first playoff appearance in 1992 and a memorable series win against the Boston Celtics.

Big Changes (1996-98)

Following successful drafts and playoff appearances, the Hornets underwent significant roster changes, trading key players like Alonzo Mourning and Larry Johnson. In the 1996 NBA draft, they selected Kobe Bryant but traded him to the Lakers. The team reached its best record in the 1996-97 season but faced playoff disappointments against the New York Knicks. Fan-favorite Mugsy Bogues was traded, signaling the end of an era for the Hornets.

Legal Troubles (1998-00)

The Hornets faced off-court challenges as owner George Shinn's personal scandals and legal issues tarnished the team's image. A league-wide lockout and the tragic death of Bobby Phills further impacted the team. Despite these difficulties, the Hornets continued to make playoff appearances, albeit without significant success.

Relocation (2001-02)

As attendance declined and Shinn grew dissatisfied with the Charlotte Coliseum, he considered relocation, initially eyeing Memphis. After failed attempts to secure a new arena in Charlotte, Shinn explored potential relocation sites, including New Orleans. Efforts to pass a referendum for a new arena were thwarted by community opposition, ultimately leading to the team being left at a crossroads.

Last edited by RMJH4; 04-23-2024 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Meeting

[The scene opens in a dimly lit boardroom, where George Shinn, the current owner of the Charlotte Hornets, and Bob Johnson, the owner of BET Entertainment, sit across from each other at a polished wooden table.]

George Shinn: Bob, thank you for meeting with me today. I understand you have an interest in potentially purchasing the Charlotte Hornets.

Bob Johnson: Thank you, George. Yes, I do. I believe the Hornets belong in Charlotte, and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to keep them here.

George Shinn: I appreciate your sentiment, Bob, but the reality is that we're facing some significant challenges. The team has struggled financially, and the prospect of relocating to New Orleans is becoming increasingly appealing.

Bob Johnson: I understand the financial challenges, George, but I believe there's a way to turn things around. Charlotte is a vibrant city with a passionate fan base. With the right leadership and investment, I believe we can make the Hornets successful here.

George Shinn: It's not that simple, Bob. We've explored numerous options to improve the team's financial situation, but the fact remains that we need a new arena to remain competitive in the long term. And without the support of the city and the fans, I fear that may not be possible.

Bob Johnson: I hear your concerns, George, but I'm confident that I can rally the necessary support. I have a track record of success in the entertainment industry, and I believe I can leverage my connections and resources to secure the future of the Hornets in Charlotte.

George Shinn: I admire your optimism, Bob, but this decision isn't just about finances. It's also about what's best for the team and its fans. If we can't ensure the Hornets' long-term viability in Charlotte, then we owe it to everyone involved to consider other options.

Bob Johnson: I understand where you're coming from, George, but I truly believe that together, we can find a solution that works for everyone. Let's explore all possible avenues before making any final decisions.

[The conversation continues as Shinn and Johnson delve deeper into the intricacies of the Hornets' financial situation and the potential implications of a relocation to New Orleans. Despite their differing perspectives, both men remain committed to finding a resolution that will ensure the Hornets' future in Charlotte.]

Last edited by RMJH4; 04-23-2024 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Game 30 Nets @ Pacers

January 17, 2002

The relentless rain hammered against the windows of the upscale Charlotte restaurant as Bob Johnson anxiously awaited the arrival of his potential partner, George Shinn, the current owner of the Charlotte Hornets. Tonight held the promise of a pivotal moment in the franchise's history.

Finally, the door swung open, and Shinn entered with a determined stride. He wasted no time in getting down to business, sliding a folder across the table towards Johnson.

"These are the final papers. Everything we discussed is in there," Shinn stated, his expression serious.

Johnson nodded, his resolve unwavering. "I've reviewed the terms, and they seem satisfactory. Let's proceed."

With a sense of urgency, Shinn and Johnson both reached for their pens, signing the documents that would transfer ownership of the Charlotte Hornets to Johnson.

As they completed the transaction, Johnson felt a surge of excitement. This was his chance to breathe new life into the franchise and make a lasting impact on the city of Charlotte.

"Congratulations, Bob. The Hornets are now in your hands," Shinn said, a hint of relief in his voice.

"Thank you, George. I won't disappoint," Johnson replied, offering a firm handshake as a symbol of their agreement.

With the deal finalized, Johnson wasted no time in implementing his plans for the Hornets. His first order of business was to assemble a top-tier management team to lead the franchise to success.

One name immediately came to mind: Danny Ainge. Johnson reached out to the seasoned basketball executive, offering him a pivotal role in the Hornets organization. To his delight, Ainge accepted, bringing his wealth of experience and strategic vision to the team.

With Ainge onboard, Johnson set out to revitalize the Hornets, both on and off the court. They invested in player development, scouting talent from across the globe to build a formidable roster capable of contending for championships.

Off the court, Johnson focused on enhancing the fan experience, investing in renovations for the Charlotte Coliseum and launching innovative marketing initiatives to reignite excitement for the team.

However, Johnson faced a significant hurdle. Despite their efforts, the ownership group had not sold enough season tickets in advance, and the NBA relocation committee was skeptical about approving the move. Johnson knew he needed to act fast to address this concern and ensure the Hornets remained in Charlotte.

As the years went by, Johnson and Ainge worked tirelessly to address the relocation committee's concerns. They launched aggressive marketing campaigns, engaged with the community, and offered incentives to encourage fans to purchase season tickets.

Finally, their efforts paid off. The NBA relocation committee, impressed by Johnson's commitment and the support of the Charlotte community, gave their approval for the Hornets to remain in Charlotte under Johnson's ownership.

With the relocation issue resolved, Johnson continued to lead the Hornets to success, culminating in the signing of Kobe Bryant as a free agent in 2004. Together, Johnson, Ainge, and Bryant forged a legacy that would be remembered for generations to come, proving that determination and perseverance could overcome even the greatest of obstacles.

Last edited by RMJH4; 04-23-2024 at 05:49 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »