Home

Facing The Front Office (An NBA 2k14 MyGM Story)

This is a discussion on Facing The Front Office (An NBA 2k14 MyGM Story) within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Who Should Otto Porter Be Traded For?
A 2014 First Round Draft Pick 2 100.00%
A 2015 First Round Draft Pick 0 0%
A Prospect 0 0%
A Veteran/Middle Aged Player 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #1
Rookie

ItsRileyC's Arena

OVR: 0
Facing The Front Office (An NBA 2k14 MyGM Story)

This dynasty will tell the story of three professional basketball characters; John Wall, Bradley Beal, and new fictional Wizards' GM Riley Connelly.

Any information regarding any real life character is completely made up.

Facing The Front Office, an NBA 2k14 MyGM Series!

Riley's Story

He awoke to the sound of the phone ringing in his ears, something he had grown quite accustom to after nearly 4 years as the assistant GM of the Washington Wizards. Riley expected to be his boss, general manager Ernie Grunfeld. However he was instead greeted by the voice of team owner Alex Hartman.

-"Riley?" His voice echoed in my ear.
-"Yes Mr. Hartman? What is it?"
-"Well, we've just let Ernie go, and we think it's about time you take over."

It was unbelievable, what he was hearing. After all the work put in, after all of his dedication to this team, it might finally be his time, but did the rest of the league really think he was ready for all that responsibility? More importantly, did he think he was ready?

-"You... think I'd do a good job?" He managed to spit out.
-"Of course, why else would I be asking you? Meet me at the arena tomorrow morning. 9AM sharp!"

The phone clicked, as the dial tone rang in his ear. He was still in shock. After all time playing second fiddle and watching the team occupy the cellar of their division, he'd finally have the chance to make a change.

Last edited by ItsRileyC; 02-16-2014 at 10:03 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
Rookie

ItsRileyC's Arena

Re: Facing The Front Office (An NBA 2k14 MyGM Story)

"Please Riley, take a seat."

Riley sat down in the leather seat, only a few feet away from the flatscreen television situated on the wall. I watched as a continuous loop of John Wall clips flashed in the background.

"Quite that player isn't he?" asked Alex.

"He sure is, we're lucky to have him." answered Riley.

"That's exactly why I wanted to meet with you today. We need change if we want to keep him on this team. We need wins, and fast."

"Well, I'm glad you think I'm capable of making a change."

Alex got up, and walked towards the plate glass window looking out over the city.

"I'm an honest man Riley, so here is what I expect from you this season. First and foremost, I would like to see this team win some games at home. Give the fans something to cheer about for once. Let's say, at least 18 w's at home."

He took a drag from the cigar in his hand, and continued to look out at the city.

"With that in mind, we are still a rebuilding team. So I expect you to tell Wittman, or whoever you chose to coach, that we should be playing Otto Porter at least 24 minutes a game. If that kid can produce like Wall, we could build a dynasty around them."

He turned and looked at me. The new GM began to speak, but was quickly interrupted.

"Don't worry about the contract, we'll figure it out shortly." He said, half laughing in between more puffs from his cigar.

"The season starts tomorrow. You better go get prepared."

Riley thanked him, and made his way out of the door. There's less than 48 hours before the season began, and he still had a lot to do.

Last edited by ItsRileyC; 02-09-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #3
Rookie

ItsRileyC's Arena

Every Story Has It's Own Beginning

He'd only been in charge of the team for a few hours now, but with the season starting Wednesday, he had no time to relax.

The first thing on his agenda, something that'd been put off way too long, was trading Nene. The man was just too overpaid for his playing ability. With the team Washington had at the moment, he believed they could benefit a lot more from draft picks or prospects than they could from a veteran with a hefty contract.

Riley knew exactly where he needed to go. The Phoenix Suns. The Wizards had already exchanged big men with them this offseason, when they sent over Emeka Okafor for Marcin Gortat, but their front court still needed work if they wanted to contend in a stacked western conference. He grabbed the phone, and dialled the number for Suns GM Ryan McDonough.

"Hi Ryan, uh, it's, Riley Connelly, the um, new GM of the Washington Wizards."

"Yeah I heard they finally got rid of Ernie... what are you calling about?"

His nerves were acting up, as he tried to think of what to say.

"Well, your, front court. It, well, it could improve."

"And your point?" the Suns GM barked back.

"I thought maybe, you know, that you might want Nene."

"Kid, he has a monster contract. Even if we did want him we can't afford that."

He knew he was losing him. He had to come back and be assertive. No matter how nervous he was. He wiped the sweat off of his forehead, and tried the best he could to sound like he knew what he was going to say.

"Well, how about we take, Frye? Give us a first round pick this year too." he suggested.

"You know how deep the draft is this year, right?"

"If you really think you can be contenders, that shouldn't matter."

There was silence on the other end, and he could tell McDonough knew he was right. He had won him over.

"Alright, you've got a deal. If, and only if, you can give us a few picks back. A 2nd from this year, and a first from next."

Next years draft wouldn't have anywhere near the star power of this years. So without hesitation, he told him yes. Not only would this give the team another potential top 10 pick, but because Frye's contract expired at the end of next year, they would have the money to possibly land a big free agent the following off-season. He had just made his first move as general manager, and he couldn't of been happier.

Last edited by ItsRileyC; 02-09-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:37 AM   #4
Rookie

ItsRileyC's Arena

It was over,

Riley's first game at the helm of the team had ended, and the final box score was shocking. Not only did the Wizards emerge victorious in their first game of the season, but they did so over the 'rebuilt' Detroit Pistons team, who were poised for a strong playoff run.

As he sat down on the bed of his old hotel room, he could hear footsteps outside. Before long, a loud knock began, and he rushed to the door to open it.

"Otto?" he said, surprised to see him.

"Yeah, uh, I just wanted to thank you for all the minutes. Coach told me it was your suggestion."

"Hey, don't thank me. You played great out there kid."

Otto had definitely played great, especially for a rookie in his first career game. He came off the bench for 16 points, and also picked up 3 blocks.

"Yeah, thanks. It's just, I've heard some rumours about teams trading their prospects for picks, because of this years draft depth."

He sounded nervous, almost as if he expected to be traded. His normally confident aura wasn't there.

"We drafted you for a reason. In all honesty I still think you have a higher ceiling than the majority of those guys in the draft."

His nervousness seemed to fade momentarily, but he quickly shot back with another worry.

"What about Wiggins, or Jabari? If we get a high enough pick and you chose them, where would I fit in?" he asked.

"You've got to understand Otto, you're our future. And I plan on sticking by that, we already know who we want out of this draft. Your position is safe."

He thanked me for the playing time again, and then left. Riley sat down worried, what if Wiggins or Jabari were available? Luckily, he'd still have 81 games to decide.

Last edited by ItsRileyC; 02-09-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
Rookie

ItsRileyC's Arena

The Sky's The Limit

John Wall's Story

John knew he shouldn't be so angry, the Wizards lost to the Heat all the time. Somehow something about this game had pushed him over the edge. He came into the locker room and kicked everything in sight. Luckily he was the first one there, and had time to clean things up before the others arrived.

Bradley Beal was the first one to enter.

"You played great out there John. You did all you could for us." said Bradley, as he threw his sweat soaked jersey onto the floor.

It was the truth, John had played arguably the greatest game of his career so far. He scored 21 points, which wasn't anything special, but he had also accumulated 18 assists. A career high that hadn't been seen by the Wizards' fans in a very long time. Nonetheless, he still felt upset about the loss.

"Thanks, I just hate losing." he replied. Starring at his custom Adidas Adipure sneakers.

The conversation ended there, as the rest of the guys began filling in the locker room. Wall breathed a sigh, as the silence he had enjoyed began being drowned out by the rest of team's voices. They were talking about where they planed on going out to tonight. The team had the next two days off, and the guys wanted to make the most out of it.

John hesitated, and then voiced his opinion.

"Don't you guys think we should spend some more time practicing? I don't know about you but I'm not enjoying all the losses."

The room fell silent. John knew no one was going to come shoot around with him, but he figured he could at least make the suggestion. He grabbed his practice jersey and made his way through the room before being met with one of his teammate's voice.

"Mind if I join you?"

It was Otto Porter, the guy the team had drafted 3rd overall in last years draft. John was impressed with the effort being displayed. He had been very close with Bradley Beal since he was drafted last year, but they didn't always see eye to eye when it came to how often they practiced. John believed every minute not spent playing, should be spent bettering yourself for the next game.

"Yeah, sure. I'll meet you out there." he replied.

It would be nice to shoot around with someone else for one.

Last edited by ItsRileyC; 02-16-2014 at 10:03 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2014, 04:02 AM   #6
Rookie

Looking great!

#ripcity

Old 02-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #7
Rookie

ItsRileyC's Arena

John watched in amazement as Otto Porter jacked up another three point shot and nailed it. He had the perfect shooting stroke. The one thing that was lacking from John's game. The one thing holding him back from what he believed to be greatness.

Otto caught his glance, and stopped shooting.

"You alright John?" he asked.

"Yeah man, I'm good. I'm impressed too. I've never seen a rook shoot the way you can."

Otto half grinned, and threw up another shot. It bounced off of the backboard and in.

"I guess I'm alright." he responded, laughing.

The two continued to practice for the next couple of hours. Sharing their hopes for the team and their future. The more they shot around, the more impressed John was. Otto had the smooth shooting of Bradley Beal, but also had the ability to drive almost as good as John himself. For the first time in his NBA career, he felt that sooner than later, this team would start winning games.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
Rookie

ItsRileyC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodar
Looking great!
Thanks man! Means a lot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »