Home

Big Thunder, Little Rain - Story of OKC

This is a discussion on Big Thunder, Little Rain - Story of OKC within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-06-2015, 11:50 AM   #9
Pro

Cruzerr's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Big Thunder, Little Rain - Story of OKC

Starters turned it on as Thunder continue winning at home

November 7, 2015

Some nights, your bench will push you to a win, yet in others, all it takes is 5 guys.

The starters for Thunder scored a combine total of 87 points, with the usual suspects, Durant and Westbrook finishing with 24 and 23 respectively. Ibaka added another 18 and Kanters' 17 were enough to get Oklahoma the W. Out of the five, only Dion Waiters scored in single digits (5 points).

Thunder took the lead quite early, keeping the game under control in the first half and the third quarter. San Antonio did manage to push them late, going on a 14-6 run, lead by Aldridge and Green, yet it was not enough to actually mount a comeback. Aldridge was the top scorer with 23 points, followed by Danny Green (16), Kyle Anderson (15) and Tony Parker (11).

The whole time Thunder played with calm on the offensive end, yet a lot of fight defensively. And it showed, comparing team stats. Thunder rebounded the ball 48 times, compared to Spurs and 31. They were also strong inside, getting 9 blocks to San Antonios 5.

DOUBLE TROUBLE

While Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook leading they scoring, they also led their respective catagories, with Durant grabbing 13 boards and Westbrook finishing with 11 assists. Durant was all praise to his point guard teammate. "I still feel a bit bad and in fault of all last season. To see Russell do his thing and still missing the playoffs was difficult, yet it motivates me more. Now, as I am back and he is on the same tear, we feed off one another and the team does aswell. It is good to play exciting basketball again."

CAREER HIGH/LOW

While the Spurs did lose, there is some positive for one man, Kyle Anderson, who finished with a career high 15 points. The second year pro had high praise for his coach. "I'm just glad that I got so many minutes tonight. Coach Pop trusted in me and let me get the ball, and with every shot I felt more confidence. Hope I can keep it up."

On the other end of the spectrum, Tony Parker had a terrible shooting night, finishing 4-20 from the field. He did get 12 assists though, which made him a bit happier, but one would wonder that if he would have hit his shots, could have San Antonio taken the lead?

SHOOTING STRUGGLE FOR SHOOTING GUARD

For Waiters, it was a tough game, as he finished 1-7 from the field, 1-3 from three point range. He did however help out in other apartments, yet his shot selection isn't what it should be. Currently shooting .333%, Waiters must obviously feel some pressure that he isn't preforming, yet is relieved that other players are stepping up. Coach Donovan however is not phased about it, and believes that he can improve. "Dion is a good kid, I don't see any problems with him. While his shot is off right now, he is fighting and really wants to make an impact. Only time before his shots start dropping in."

UP NEXT

Oklahoma: Host Toronto

San Antonio: Host Miami

Old 11-06-2015, 10:08 PM   #10
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Nice win, good play from your starters except Waiters.

Waiters is such junk on this team. Dude needs to dominate the ball in order to be effective and Westbrook is already there. He's not a fit for the Thunder and, truthfully, he's really not a fit anywhere in the league right now. He doesn't have the talent to back up his play style, IMO. OKC needs to address that weakness because other teams WILL exploit him for sure.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:35 AM   #11
Pro

Cruzerr's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan
Nice win, good play from your starters except Waiters.

Waiters is such junk on this team. Dude needs to dominate the ball in order to be effective and Westbrook is already there. He's not a fit for the Thunder and, truthfully, he's really not a fit anywhere in the league right now. He doesn't have the talent to back up his play style, IMO. OKC needs to address that weakness because other teams WILL exploit him for sure.
The thing about Waiters is that I haven't seen a player like him, like, he loves shooting, from anywhere on the field, but it looks so messy. He wants the ball, but he really does not look like a fit for Thunder at all.

And about exploiting him....you'll see what I mean.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2015, 07:01 AM   #12
Pro

Cruzerr's Arena

Streaks continue for both teams as Thunder win again

November 12, 2015

Usually, in games when two teams have streaks, one of them will end after the game.

This was not the case, as Toronto took another loss, making it their fifth in a row. Demar DeRozan was on point with his game, shooting 30 from 13-18 attempts. However, his own heroics were not enough for the whole team of Thunder.

Behind DeRozan was Carroll with 13 points, yet for the Thunder, it was a whole different show. The game was pretty even in the first half, with Thunder having a slight edge, yet in the third quarter, Oklahoma fired it up and really took the lead by the horns. The biggest lead they got was 16 points, and Raptors never looked like they were going to break that.

Durant was the leading scorer with 23 points, followed by Ibaka with 20. Westbrook managed to get 18 points along with 7 assists and Kanter finished with 11 points and 9 rebounds. Off the bench, Adams was impactful, finishing with 8 points and 8 rebounds.

THE CONGO FROM CONGO

Serge Ibaka didn't have much to do in the defensive end, yet offensively, he looked very impactful. He shot 9-14, two of those missed shots were three pointers. Ibaka himself said after the game that he is happy with his increased touches in the offensive end. "Last few season, I have been more of a defensive player, yet this season, it feels very nice to get the ball more. We have many good offensive players already, so being a part of that is good. Still, my focus is on the defensive end."

WOUNDED RAPTORS

A horrible start for the Raptors so far, after winning the first game of the season against Portland (88-83), they have gone on a losing streak of 5 now. Coach Casey is not happy, but feels that they can still bounce back. "I mean, we are not clicking on all cylinders at this moment. Most teams look like they want the win more, so we really need to step our game up. I'm not worried yet, though. I feel that this team is more than talented enough to play great basketball."

HOME COURT ADVANTAGE

So far, the Thunder have played all of their 3 games at home, and won them. Statistically, what jumps out the most is the rebounds - they have outrebounded their opponents in all of the three games. Whether they can keep it up, we shall see next game, as they face Memphis Grizzlies in their last home game before going away.

UP NEXT

Oklahoma: Host Memphis Grizzlies

Raptors: Host Los Angeles Clippers

Old 11-07-2015, 08:43 AM   #13
Pro

Cruzerr's Arena

Durant steps up in the end as Thunder edge the Grizzlies

November 14, 2015

If the scoring is anything to show for, Durant has still got it.

Only shooting 5-13 in the first half, he took charge in the second to rally his team past the tough Memphis team. Durant finished the game with 30 points and 8 rebounds, with Westbrook following him with 18 and 7 assists. Memphis did come to play though, as the game was tight and in their hand for most of the time. Courtney Lee scored 17 on the night, followed by Randolph with 16, Gasol with 13 and Conley with 10.

Memphis showed good team basketball, and were dealing with Durant well in the first, yet struggled to contain him in the second. The crowd was chanting MVP as Durant was sent to the foul line at late to put the game to bed by 4. Even though Grizzlies have struggled at the start of the season, they should be happy with their performance on the night.

BOARD BATTLE CONTINUES

Thunder again beat their opponent on the rebounding front, 43-35. With Durants 8, the team was led by Kanter with 10 and Adams with 9. Coach Donovan is happy with his teams fight and knows that it is the basis of a good offense. "If you don't crash the boards, you will miss second chances and fast break opportunities. In a close game like tonight, any board can make a difference. While it is good that we are winning the contest at home, we need to keep this going away aswell, where it will be much tougher."

SCORING IN BUNCHES

Grizzlies did win their opening night game against the Wizards, yet have now dropped 4 in a row. Many fans do believe that their team is playing well in some parts of the pitch, yet they are letting singular players take over the game too much, which is costing them games. In the blowout losses against Dallas and Houston, Nowitzki finished with 26, while Harden dropped 24 on them. Their last game, a 94-89 loss against the Lakers, Bryant scored 27. Tonight, Durant scores 30. Many question if the Grizzlies have lost their defensive edge. "It is just frustrating to watch. You keep the game close yet lose it in the end. The only time we did win was when Z-Bo scored 24. We have to do better."

DURANT READY TO LEAD

So far, Durant has been the leading scorer for the Thunder in every game. The confidence is in him and from his own words, it sounds like he is ready to lead the team once more. "I feel great, the fans in the arena keep me motivated and I am ready again to get back to my MVP form."

UP NEXT

Oklahoma: Go away against Philadelphia 76ers

Raptors: Go away against Golden State Warriors

Old 11-07-2015, 09:12 AM   #14
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Like those wins, but what's up with the Raps and Grizz? Those records are BAD early in the season, you don't want to start in a hole. Loving the work your squad is doing on the boards, I'm a fan; control those and you control the pace of the game, crucially important, IMO.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:07 AM   #15
Pro

Cruzerr's Arena

Waiters sparks the Thunders offense for a fifth win

November 16, 2015

Waiters hasn't shown anything promising in the wins, but he came out big tonight.

Dion Waiters did not start today, as Morrow took his place (13 points from him), yet his production from the bench was a sparkplug for other players. He got in the groove in the second quarter, hitting two big threes and sparked the whole offense. He finished with 21 points.

The spark was good, as 4 other players scored in double-digits: Durant with 22, Westbrook with 20, Kanter 13 and Morrow with also 13. Philadelphia showed some good basketball in the first quarter, yet when Thunder started scoring, they went on a roll, and 76ers were left without answers.

The rookie, Jahlil Okafor, led the Sixers with 19 points and 10 rebounds. Behind him was Covington with 18 points, Stauskas with 12, Wroten with 11 and Canaan with 10.

SPARK PLUG

Waiters played so well coming off the bench, that most fans now believe that he should stay there and provide a spark as the sixth man. He himself is happy to do so. "The coaching staff told me before the game that I was going to be benched, so that also motivated me, but I felt compfortable with my shot today. If the coach wants me to provide points off the bench, then I can do that."

OKAFOR NO JOKE

While the Sixers haven't had a good start, the third overall pick, Jahlil Okafor, has been putting on a show. He is leading the rookies in both scoring (18.8 PPG) and rebounding (8.9). For him, it is all about getting minutes and touches of the ball. "I am getting used to the NBA pretty well. It takes some time obviously, I don't feel a 100% yet, but with every game I feel more confident to go for my shots."

HOT STREAK

The Thunder are the only team in the league that has not lost a game this season so far. The offensive talent on this team is unreal, so everybody is wondering how to stop them.

UP NEXT

Oklahoma: At Brooklyn against the Nets

Raptors: Host San Antonio Spurs

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2015, 09:56 AM   #16
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

That's how you should beat the Sixers, by double-digits.

Waiters off the bench against the Sixers bench? He should have 20+ points. Show me that against the bench of the Rockets or Spurs, then call me a believer. Until then, I'm thinking this is a mirage.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »