Home

Unfinished Business: Carmelo Anthony 'Chise

This is a discussion on Unfinished Business: Carmelo Anthony 'Chise within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What should Melo do?
Stay with the Knicks, put pressure on Phil 2 22.22%
Trade to Brooklyn 0 0%
Trade to Dallas 0 0%
Trade to Denver 0 0%
Trade to Detroit 0 0%
Trade to New Orleans 3 33.33%
Trade to Orlando 0 0%
Trade to Philadelphia 0 0%
Trade to Sacramento 1 11.11%
Trade to Utah 0 0%
Trade to Washington 0 0%
Push for Boston, Chicago or Clippers 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2016, 05:42 PM   #9
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

OVR: 19
76ers hire Mark Jackson as Head Coach.

76ers hire Mark Jackson as Head Coach.

July 13th, 2003.

The Philadelphia 76ers became the fifth NBA team to make a coaching change before the season, as Larry Brown officialy signed with the Pistons.

Jackson 38, who played sparingly with the Utah Jazz last season, decided not to take the Houstons Rockets up on a playing contract for this season. Instead he has started to forge his won path on the coaching carousel.

"We want to win and win now," GM Barkley told The Associated Press.

Team president and GM Charles Barkley said he met with Jackson, describing the former Pacers and Knicks star as a "gentleman throughout" and a "class act."

"I felt the team were not progressing the way I wanted to progress," Barkley said. "I didn't feel last season we were executing the philosophy that I want to have as Sixers basketball."

Mark Jackson's leadership skills as a player more than outweighed his lack of coaching experience when it came time for 76ers to hire their new coach.

The 76ers hired Jackson to replace Brown on Sunday, giving the former point guard his first chance to be a head coach on the game's biggest stage.

Jackson's deal is worth $6 million over three years with a team option for a fourth year, a source told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.

"He epitomized leadership as a player in this league for 16 seasons and we think that characteristic -- and many other positive traits -- will translate very well into his coaching duties with our young team," Barkley said in a statement. "He was a leader and a winner both on and off the floor in this league and we're convinced that he is the right person to guide this team into the future and help us achieve the success that we are striving for as an organization."

Jackson played 16 years as a point guard in the NBA, for New York, the Clippers, Indiana, Denver, Toronto and Utah. He won Rookie of the Year honors in 1988 and made the playoffs 14 times. He ranks third on the NBA's all-time assists list.

His first coaching job is a daunting one, taking over a team that made the Eastern Conference Semi finals last season.

"I am really elated about this opportunity and I'm looking forward to the challenge of building the 76ers into a perennial contender," Jackson said.

Last edited by RMJH4; 12-07-2021 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:24 PM   #10
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

76ers Acquiire Latrell Sprewell.

76ers Acquire Latrell Sprewell for Keith Van Horn.

July 23rd, 2003. | by espn.com

Philadelphia 76ers General Manager Charles Barkley today announced the team has acquired guard/forward Latrell Sprewell from the New York Knicks in a trade.

The New York Knicks sent Sprewell (33) to Philadelphia and receives Keith Van Horn (28). This trade is set to suprise many as it is between two rival teams in the Atlantic Divison. It could invigorate a 76ers teams looking to contend for the Eastern Conference title again this season. Sprewell has two years and $27 millon remaining on his contract, while Van Horn has three years and $42 million remaining. The Knicks get younger and gain some much needed size and shooting on the wings.

Sprewell, a 6-5, 195-pound product of the University of Alabama, averaged 16.4 points (.403 FG%, .372 3FG%, .794 FT%), 3.9 rebounds, 4.5 assists, 1.38 steals and 38.6 minutes per game in 74 contests (started 73) for New York in 2002-03. The 11-year NBA veteran ranked 23rd in the NBA in minutes, 32nd in assists, 36th in three-point shooting and 33rd in steals last season.

Sprewell led the Knicks in scoring 23 times and in assists on 21 occasions. He posted 20-plus points 24 times and scored 30-or-more points on four occasions. Sprewell posted three double-figure rebound games, three double-doubles and three double-digit assist games. He recorded his second career triple-double on Feb. 28 versus Orlando, posting 28 points, 11 assists and 11 rebounds.

"Latrell gives us a very athletic swing player, something that we have said since the end of last season that we needed," said Barkley. "He will give us a tremendous defensive effort every time he steps on the court. He has played in a number of big games and has not been afraid to take big shots over his career. "

In 751 NBA games over 11 seasons with Golden State (1992-93 through 1997-98) and New York (1998-99 through 2002-03), Sprewell has averaged 19.1 points (.428 FG%, .339 3FG%, .802 FT%), 4.2 rebounds, 4.3 assists, 1.54 steals and 39.6 minutes per game. The Milwaukee, Wis., native was selected by the Warriors with the 24th overall selection in the 1992 NBA Draft. He was named to the NBA All-Rookie Second Team following the 1992-93 campaign. He has been named an All-Star on four occasions (1994, 1995, 1997, 2001) and earned NBA All-Defensive Second Team honors following the 1993-94 season.

Last edited by RMJH4; 12-07-2021 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:24 PM   #11
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Iverson loves Sprewell trade.

Iverson loves Sprewell trade.

July 28th, 2003. | by espn.com

Iverson said he never wanted to be like Mike, but he has always loved how Sprewell approaches the game.

“If I could be any other player, I wouldn’t be Michael Jordan, man..I would take Latrell Sprewell’s game. I love the way he plays.”

If you were a fan of the Warriors in the mid-90s and then more recently on the Knicks, you know why Latrell is a four-time All-Star. He has been equally efficient on both sides of the floor, and his tenacity set him apart from other guards in the NBA. Iverson see's a lot of himself in Spree since they have the same type of energy and demeanor, they bring it every single night competing like it’s a playoff game, and their life depended on them winning the game.

“Energy. He can play the whole damn game. He’s got pride with his game, you know. And he’s just hard. When I look at him, I see myself, cause he don’t care who you are, he just goes at you. He goes right at your chest, crazy hard.”

When you look at his resume, you can’t help but admire Sprewell’s accomplishments, making him one of the most recognizable players from that era. Even though he had a few incidents in his career that somewhat tarnished his reputation, like the one when he choked out his coach P.J. Carlesimo, it’s pretty understandable why Iverson admired him from a basketball perspective. He is a true competitor who rarely takes a night off, and his consistency throughout his career is pretty admirable when you consider the way he played the game.

"I can't wait to get on the floor with Latrell. We will fight tooth and nail for every ball. We will be a nightmare for opposing teams to play." Time will tell if Iverson and Sprewell can mesh on the court. A risk worth taking for Barkley and the 76ers.

Last edited by RMJH4; 12-07-2021 at 10:53 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2016, 04:35 PM   #12
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

76ers sign Charles Barkley.

Barkley returns from retirement, signs up for 76ers.

July 1st, 2001 | by nbcsports.com

Charles Barkley is returning to the NBA, back to where it all begun in Philadelphia.

Barkley told NBC Sports late last week that he might become Michael Jordan's teammate with the Washington Wizards once he gets in better shape. That time seems to have come sooner than expected. And it won't be as Jordan's teammate either.

Over the last several months, Barkley has stated several times that he was intrigued by the idea of coming back. However, Barkley said he needed to get in better shape before such a comeback is possible. Barkley told NBC he is down to 285 pounds now.

"I missed playing. I know Michael is trying to get in shape too and I think I could help push a team over the edge this season. Philadelphia just seemed like the right fit for me."

"You got to love Charles. He's always going to have fun," 76ers coach Larry Brown told the newspaper. "The good part about it is he's always going to create a reaction from somebody. He throws something out there and wants people to follow it up. He will add some fun around here and help lift the doom and gloom from the losing the finals."

Barkley will be paid the veteran minimum annual salary of $1 million.

Jordan, a close friend of Barkley, is also considering a return to the NBA this season after a three-year absence. Barkley retired after the 1999-2000 season. The two future Hall of Famers have never been teammates in the NBA, but did play together for the original Dream Team at the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona. The 76ers have added some young legs too though, which will be in important in another long NBA season in quest of an NBA title for the Philadelphia 76ers.

Last edited by RMJH4; 10-18-2020 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:51 PM   #13
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

George Karl Rips Carmelo

Former NBA coach George Karl rips Carmelo Anthony in new book.

Former NBA head coach George Karl criticized his former player Carmelo Anthony, saying in a new book set to be released next month that Anthony was a "true conundrum" who didn't like to play defense and was addicted to the spotlight.

Karl coached Anthony for six seasons during his time with the Denver Nuggets. Anthony spent eight-plus seasons with Denver before being traded to the New York Knicks during the 2010–11 season.

"Carmelo was a true conundrum for me in the six years I had him," Karl wrote in "Furious George," according to a copy obtained by the New York Post. "He was the best offensive player I ever coached. He was also a user of people, addicted to the spotlight and very unhappy when he had to share it."

Karl, who also coached the Sacramento Kings, Cleveland Cavaliers, Golden State Warriors, Seattle Supersonics and Milwaukee Bucks during his career, said that Anthony's commitment to defense was lacking.

"He really lit my fuse with his low demand of himself on defense," Karl said in the book. "He had no commitment to the hard, dirty work of stopping the other guy. My ideal — probably every coach’s ideal — is when your best player is also your leader. But since Carmelo only played hard on one side of the ball, he made it plain he couldn’t lead the Nuggets, even though he said he wanted to. Coaching him meant working around his defense and compensating for his attitude. He may have won a title in college, but he'll never win in the NBA. He bailed out on the Nuggets.”

Karl was also critical of J.R. Smith and Kenyon Martin, calling those two along with Anthony, "AAU babies" and "the spoiled brats you see in junior golf and junior tennis."

Karl also said Smith, now with the Cavaliers, had “a huge sense of entitlement, a distracting posse, his eye always on the next contract and some really unbelievable shot selection. Carmelo and JR had so many thing's in common like that.’’

Most notably, however, is Karl's problematic (at best) claim that Anthony and then-teammate Kenyon Martin struggled after growing up without their fathers.

"Kenyon and Carmelo carried two big burdens: all that money and no father to show them how to act like a man."

It's been a rough time of it lately for Anthony, who has been criticised by Knicks GM Phil Jackson for "Holding onto the ball a little too long" in the famed Triangle Offense. How will Carmelo respond to this latest insult?!
Old 12-24-2016, 05:15 PM   #14
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Meeting with James Dolan

Offseason Roundup.

August 1st, 2001. | by espn.com

Head Coaching changes.

Cleveland Cavaliers fired Randy Wittman and hired John Lucas.

Detroit Pistons fired George Irvine and hired Rick Carlisle.

Portland Trail Blazers part ways with Mike Dunleavy, Sr. and hire Maurice Cheeks.

Washington Wizards part ways with Leonard Hamilton and hired Doug Collins.

Player Retirements.
Chris Mullin
Charles Jones
Detlef Schrempf
Jerome Kersey
Tyrone Corbin

Last edited by RMJH4; 10-18-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:34 PM   #15
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Jordan Returns with Washington Wizards.

Jordan Returns with Washington Wizards.

September 25th, 2001 | by nbcsports.com

WASHINGTON -- The worst-kept secret in sports is out: Michael Jordan will play again in the NBA -- and not just for one season, but two.

After months of hints, smiles and winks that kept his fans on edge, Jordan finally announced his comeback Tuesday, saying he would play for the Washington Wizards through 2003 and donate his salary the first year -- $1 million -- to victims of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

"I am returning as a player to the game I love," said Jordan, 38 and three years removed from what seemed to be a storybook ending to an unparalleled career. "I am especially excited about the Washington Wizards, and I'm convinced we have the foundation on which to build a playoff-contention team.

"The opportunity to teach our young players and help them elevate their game to a higher level, and to thank the fans in Washington for their loyalty and support, strongly influenced my decision," he said in a statement issued through his management agency.

The five-time league Most Valuable Player, who retired for a second time in 1999 after leading the Chicago Bulls to their sixth title of the decade, made it official after clearing up a licensing issue with one of his sponsors -- a disagreement that delayed the announcement by a day. NBA rules also required Jordan to sell his ownership stake in the Wizards.

Jordan never completely ruled out a comeback when he retired in January 1999, hedging his bets with the statement that he was "99.9 percent" certain he would never play again. Leaving the door open, even by one-tenth of 1 percent, meant Jordan could slip back into a uniform without going back on his word.

Now, he has.

"I am happy to welcome Michael Jordan, the player, back to the NBA, although, as commissioner, I am sorry to lose him in the board room," NBA commissioner David Stern said. "Michael has always brought joy to basketball fans around the world, and, in these difficult times, we can all use a little more joy in our lives."

Jordan's announcement was sure to hearten a city -- and entire country -- shocked by terrorism. Washington's economy has suffered since the Sept. 11 attacks, with Reagan National Airport remaining closed and hotel bookings far below capacity.

"This is certainly an extremely important moment in the history of our franchise, however our excitement is muted by the world events that surround us," Wizards owner Abe Pollin said.

"The greatest player in the history of the game is joining my team, and for that I am extremely honored and pleased."

Jordan will be in the unusual position of playing for the coach he hired, Doug Collins, who joined the Wizards in April and also coached Jordan for three seasons with the Bulls in the 1980s. Jordan will share the court with players he signed, drafted and traded for, including High School sensation Kwame Brown, selected No. 1 overall by the Wizards in June.

Last edited by RMJH4; 10-18-2020 at 05:23 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2017, 05:28 PM   #16
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

76ers Roster set for Opening Night 2001.

76ers Roster set for Opening Night 2001.

October 2nd, 2001 | by cbssports.com

So here's the all-important rundown of the reigning Eastern Conference Champions newest squad:

Starting Point Guard:

Eric Snow.

Starting Shooting Guard:

Allen Iverson. Reigning MVP and the superstar. Iverson almost brought the 76ers to the promised land, and he will be determined to get them back to the Finals again this year.

Starting Small Forward:

George Lynch

Starting Power Forward:

Tyrone Hill

Starting Center:

Dikembe Mutombo. He is the wrong side of 34 but he still knows how to play. Mt. Mutombo was and still is a warrior. He knows how to win, but his main role this season will be to protect the paint and rebound everything. Can score double digits when needed to. Easily still the best big man Iverson has ever teamed up with.

Sixth Man:

Aaron McKie. Reigning 6th man of the year. His defense is good, and he can score the ball too. Steady experienced player to set the table. Will help Arenas and Claxton develop quickly and be a reassuring presence in close games.

Backup Point Guards:

Speedy Claxton is an unknown. Coming off an inury that kept him out all of last season, he will have to show his fitness, and make an impression early on.

Gilbert Arenas. Arenas has shown a tenacity on the ball and no shot is too big to turn down. Turned a few heads by dragging Arizona to the Final Four in March Madness, but will need to be taught the difference between a good and bad shot. Larry Brown will let him know very clearly from day one.

Backup Shooting Guards:

Raja Bell.

Backup Small Forwards:

Jumaine Jones, had a solid outing in the playoffs and finals last season. Will be given the nod as Lynch's main backup, but will have his work cut out keeping out Nocioni from Argentina.

Andres Nocioni is a big-time scorer, He has an attitude , but he can get his own shot any time, and, at this position, that's all that matters. Real battle here at the 3 for minutes this season.

Backup Power Forwards:

Charles Barkley. Barkley can still hit the open jump shot, and will fight and grab your jersey to attain better position under the boards. Calm head and will not back down against bigger players.

Memhet Okur. The Turkish sharpshooter is an unusual prospect. A big man with a long range jumpshot, he can fill up the box score. Rebounding is his major weakness though, but should not be a problem if he plays beside Dikembe.

Backup Center:

Matt Geiger. He can't guard Shaq (who can?!) and he can't stay out of foul trouble very often, but, as rotund as he is, he's a surprising shot blocker and leaper. Will always give you strong rotation minutes.

Coach: Larry Brown knows what he's doing. He will be hoping to intergrate his new additions into the fray early on. If the 76ers can rely on one or two more guys this year, they will be favorites to repeat in the East again.

Front Office: Billy King. Re-signed Defensive player of the year Dikembe Mutombo and 6th man of the year Aaron McKie. Those two moves put you right back into contention. Has also added some youth to the team from the draft. Big risk taking another Point Guard in Gilbert Arenas in the first round over C Samuel Dalembert. But the 76ers need more scoring, and Arenas could eventually be that 2nd guy down the line.

Good options in Andres Nocioni and Mehmet Okur were also picked up later on in the second round. He even convinced Charles Barkley to come out of retirement to add some size and smarts to the front court. Yet to make a major trade this offseason.

If you're not ecstatic about the team we just named, think about it. The 76ers won the Eastern Conference last season and led the NBA finals 1-0.

With two all time greats in the making with Shaq and Kobe the Lakers turned the tide to win 4-1. But don't let the score-line deceive you. The 76ers are much closer to the Lakers than that. Let's see if they can close the gap. This roster is still a work in progress. Expect at least one major trade this season to strengthen up the forwards.

Last edited by RMJH4; 10-18-2020 at 05:22 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »