Home

One Last Shot: Jordan's Final Chapter.

This is a discussion on One Last Shot: Jordan's Final Chapter. within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2018, 06:17 AM   #161
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

OVR: 19
2002-03 Offseason - Mock Draft

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2018, 09:31 AM   #162
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 2002-03 Offseason - Mock Draft

Prime Shaq is nigh-unstoppable, so no surprise that the Celtics got bullied by him.

That 2002 draft! Some names I forgot about there, I vote the Wizards take Kristic or trade that pick for one in the stacked 2003 draft (perhaps a certain #23 can study under the master?) and focus on free agency for Washington; clearly Jordan still has it and got the Wizards pretty far on his own, but he needs some young blood to take over when he can't.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:07 PM   #163
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Wizards owner Abe Pollin Dies.

Wizards owner Abe Pollin dies, aged 78.

June 1st, 2002 | by NBA.COM

WASHINGTON -- Abe Pollin, the Washington Wizards owner who brought an NBA championship to the nation's capital and later had the savy to bring Michael Jordan out of retirement, died Tuesday. He was 78.

His death was announced by his company, Washington Sports & Entertainment. No details were disclosed but Pollin suffered from progressive supranuclear palsy, a rare brain disorder that impairs movement and balance.

"The NBA family has lost its most revered member, whose stewardship of the Wizards franchise, together with his wife Irene, has been a study in unparalleled dedication to the city of Washington," NBA commissioner David Stern said. "During his illness he fought with a determination and valor that will remain an inspiration to all."

Pollin was the NBA's longest-tenured owner. With his death, a group led by longtime AOL executive Ted Leonsis is poised to take ownership of a Washington-area sports empire that began when Pollin purchased the Baltimore Bullets in 1964.

"I just lost a real, real good friend," said Wes Unseld, star of the 1978 championship team and now the team's general manager. "And I think it's more than any of you will understand or I could even explain. It's just going to be a big void in sports in this community."

A moment of silence will be observed in Pollin's memory before the NBA Draft Lottery on Friday night.

"He would want us to celebrate his life and not mourn his death," coach Doug Collins said. "That's just the individual he was. But when you're here going through it, it's not that easy."

Leonsis previously bought two of Pollin's teams -- the NHL's Capitals in 1999 and the WNBA's Mystics in 2005 -- and secured the right of first refusal to buy the rest of Pollin's Washington Sports & Entertainment holdings -- including the Wizards, Verizon Center and Washington-Baltimore TicketMaster -- when Pollin retired or died.

"We are committed to continuing his tradition of building exciting, championship-caliber teams," Leonsis said in a statement. "One of Abe's dying wishes was that I would continue to run the franchise and lead it towards a championship." "I endeavor to do just that, it was a common goal in which we first became good friends."

In the changing world of professional sports, Pollin stood out for decades as an owner who tried to run his teams like a family business. He bemoaned the runaway salaries of free agency and said it would have been difficult for him to keep the Wizards if it weren't for the NBA's salary cap.

Pollin considered his greatest accomplishment the Verizon Center. He risked much of his fortune to build the arena in a neglected D.C. neighborhood, and it has spearheaded a revitalization of downtown Washington since its opening in 1997.

"There's no important initiative or any end to difficult situations or any settlement or any legislation that Abe was not leading the way on across all these years," Stern said in March. "He's been an extraordinary league person, always voting the league way, similar to what he did in building Verizon Center. He was going the D.C. way, not necessarily what was in his best economic interest but what was in the best economic interests of Washington, D.C."

A builder by trade, Pollin also constructed the Verizon Center's predecessor, originally known as the Capital Centre, in the Washington suburbs in 1973. He renamed his NBA team in 1997 because of the violent connotation of the word "Bullets," particularly in a city associated with crime.

Pollin was critical of modern-day player misbehavior and wouldn't hesitate to trade a star who got in trouble off the court. At his insistence, the final labor agreement after the 1998-99 lockout included stricter rules concerning player conduct.

"You may or may not want to be role models, but you are role models," Pollin told his players after the labor talks ended. "If you don't want to be role models, you should get out of this business and go do something else."

Pollin's ultimate coup -- getting Jordan back into the NBA -- was a plan that has so far looked like a master stroke. Jordan bought a minority stake in the Wizards in 2000 and was given the title of president of basketball operations.

The sport's biggest name has so far spent 2˝ seasons in Washington. The last season made Pollin's decision look like an ingenious move as the Wizards grabbed the #1 seed in the Eastern Conference and reached the Eastern Conference Finals. Pollin was proud to see Jordan don the Wizards blue uniform and bring winning days back to DC.

Pollin later explained his decision in an interview with The Associated Press.

"It was a horrible atmosphere losing night in and night out," Pollin said. "Michael and I knew we had to think outside the box in a bid to build a winning team again. ... I knew that there would be some negative stuff thrown at him by the basketball royalty, telling him it was a mistake, but when he made his decision, I was so proud. The greatest player in the history of basketball, wearing my team's uniform."

The drama of Jordan's return brought much needed income and sales to one of the leagues worst teams. Jordan's uniform became a top 5 seller. Washington sold out all of their 41 home game and all of their playoff games.

"He had opportunities to go to other places, but this is where he wanted to be," Pollin said. "He wanted to do this for my team, my city. I'll never forget it, it gave me peace to see the Wizards as a top team one more time."

"He loved Washington," Unseld said, "when some of us at the time really didn't care a lot about it."

Last edited by RMJH4; 08-12-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:57 PM   #164
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Sonics win #1 Pick

Sonics defy the odds to grab #1 pick.

June 6th, 2002 | by NBA.COM

The Seattle Supersonics today won the 2002 NBA Draft Lottery, which was conducted at NBA Entertainment in Secaucus, New Jersey. The Sonics, who held an 2.3 percent probability of obtaining the first selection, will have the first overall pick in the 2002 NBA Draft, which will be held in New York City on Wednesday, June 26.

"The great thing is that this pick will get a lot of interest back in the Sonics again after another disappointing year," Head Coach Nate McMillan said. "In the back of my mind, I kept hoping all of the agony we were going through during the season would pay off somewhere. Right now, we have the opportunity to get that payoff."

The Sonics possessed the eight-best chance of receiving one of the top three selections, as Detroit, Miami, Memphis, the Clippers, New York, Cleveland and Chicago all held lower winning percentages than Seattle's 35-47 record. New York also trumped the odds and won the second overall pick. Detroit who had the best odds only received the third pick in the lottery.

This marks the first time in franchise history that the Sonics have possessed the first pick in the NBA Draft. The closest was back in 1996 when they drafted Gary Payton with the second pick. Payton was traded to the Portland Trailblazers in February of this year to begin the much needed rebuilding process for new owner Howard Schultz. They have certainly been rewarded for their gamble now, even though it meant losing a franchise icon like Payton.

Final Draft Order:

1. Seattle Sonics
2. New York Knicks
3. Detroit Pistons
4. Miami Heat
5. Memphis Grizzlies
6. L.A. Clippers
7. Cleveland Cavaliers
8. Chicago Bulls
9. Philadelphia 76ers
10. Atlanta Hawks
11. Phoenix Suns
12. Houston Rockets
13. Golden State Warriors
Old 08-12-2018, 05:01 PM   #165
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Re: 2002-03 Offseason - Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan
Prime Shaq is nigh-unstoppable, so no surprise that the Celtics got bullied by him.

That 2002 draft! Some names I forgot about there, I vote the Wizards take Kristic or trade that pick for one in the stacked 2003 draft (perhaps a certain #23 can study under the master?) and focus on free agency for Washington; clearly Jordan still has it and got the Wizards pretty far on his own, but he needs some young blood to take over when he can't.
Absolutely Shaq was the main man in those days... He ran riot on the Celtics, just like he did with the Nets in real life that year. Fairly happy with my roster that it turned out pretty close to real life. From this season on it will start to branch out a little more off the beaten track.

You have a very good idea, one of the the few story paths I considered, stay tuned and see which one I have chosen, it's a pretty dramatic one, I don't think many people will even remember reading about this, I was always fascinated to see how it would have played out. Here is my slant to suit this story. Albeit a few seasons later.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2018, 05:26 PM   #166
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Leonsis takes control of Wizards

Leonsis takes control of Wizards

June 7th, 2002 | by NBA.COM

WASHINGTON -- Ted Leonsis received 130 e-mails from Washington Wizards fans before he had owned the team a full day. Three came from a fan concerned about the quality of the ketchup at the Verizon Center.

Yes, owning two major sports teams is going to take a lot of work.

"I hoping I'm not going to get 130 e-mails a day for both teams," said Leonsis, who opened an e-mail address for fans and is going to try to answer them all.

The 53-year-old former AOL executive stood at a podium Thursday to announce that he has formally taken control of a major sports and entertainment empire. The NBA gave its approval Tuesday, and the papers were signed Wednesday to complete the purchase of the Wizards, the Verizon Center and other assets from the estate of the late Abe Pollin.

Leonsis already owned the NHL's Washington Capitals and WBNA's Washington Mystics and 44 percent of the Wizards and Verizon Center. His group paid about $310 million for the other 56 percent to create a new entity -- called Monumental Sports & Entertainment -- whose total value is more than $825 million.

The focus, however, was solely on the man at the top. Despite his lofty position, Leonsis is not an entourage man. He walked to the microphone with no introduction and spoke for some 52 minutes, answering a wide range of questions. The contrast with the city's other major sports owners -- the media-shy duo of Dan Snyder (Redskins) and Ted Lerner (Nationals) -- couldn't have been more striking.

The immediate concern for both Wizards and Capitals fans is whether Leonsis can find enough time to devote his full energies to both teams as well as all of his other interests.

"I believe I have the personal bandwidth and the experience to be able to manage all of these assets," Leonsis said. "Yes, I do worry about it. ... I'm going to stop doing some of those [other] things and put my focus on the teams. There's only so many hours in the day."

The Wizards had a bounce back season this year led by Michael Jordan as they reached the Eastern Conference finals. The core of a good group is there already to build on. "We have a very important offseason and are already doing our due diligence on all possibilities. We can make that jump next season. We have a good mix in our roster, but we will look to add some more youth and sustain the long term viability of the franchise." said Leonsis.

Leonsis reiterated that he plans to retain general manager Wes Unseld and coach Doug Collins. He said he is now exchanging e-mails with Michael Jordan his President of Basketball Operations and star player.

"It's very important that Michael is involved in the process this summer. He has been a fantastic addition as a player," Leonsis said. "Michael knows the most important thing for him to do is to stay in shape, to be a great teammate and to be a pillar of our community."

Leonsis indicated he'd like to revive the franchise's old red-based color scheme, which would mirror a similarly popular change he made with the Capitals. But he added "there will be no name change" despite a widespread sentiment that the Wizards should go back to their old nickname, the Bullets.

"I'm shocked with all that we have to do that that's been, like, the No. 1 question, e-mail, message board conversation," Leonsis said.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:46 PM   #167
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Wizards hire Ernie Grunfeld

Wizards hire new President of Basketball Operations.

June 16th, 2002 | by NBA.COM

Monumental Sports & Entertainment owner Ted Leonsis announced today that Ernie Grunfeld has been hired as President of Basketball Operations for the Washington Wizards, effectively replacing Michael Jordan. Per policy, terms were not enclosed.

“We are so excited that Ernie will be joining us in the Wizards organization. He has a brilliant basketball mind and will bring so much to our team,” said Leonsis. “He is a proven winner and I look forward to great things from him. Hiring Ernie will also allow Michael to fully concentrate on his final season in the league and help in our quest to bring a title to Washington.”

“I am very pleased to be joining the Wizards. This is going to be an exciting challenge and with the caliber of talent on the Wizards’ team, this makes this an ideal situation,” said Grunfeld.

Prior to joining the Wizards, Grunfeld spent the previous three seasons as general manager of the Milwaukee Bucks, where the team’s 14 playoff wins during his tenure exceeded the team’s cumulative total in the 12 seasons prior to his arrival. In three seasons with Milwaukee, the Bucks posted a record of 177-151 (.540) and never finished below .500 while making the playoffs three times. Grunfeld was named general manager of the Bucks on August 13, 1999 after 17 seasons with Knicks.

During Grunfeld’s reign as the Knicks top personnel executive, New York advanced to at least the Conference Semifinals of the NBA Playoffs each season. His tenure included five 50-plus win seasons, three Atlantic Division Championships and two trips to the NBA Finals in 1994 and 1999. In eight seasons as general manager or vice-president of player personnel, his Knicks teams had a record of 397-227 (.636) and a 61-44 record in the playoffs.

With the recent major changes in the Wizards franchise, this is perhaps the most surprising one of all. What happened to Michael Jordan? Jordan was the President of Basketball Operations, technically, he relinquished that role when he returned as a player, but no official announcement was made. Jordan has also been rumored to have made a bid to outright purchase the Wizards in the past weeks. Leonsis and his group were always going to take over, but maybe Jordan has thrown a spanner in the works behind closed doors.

It's been long rumored Jordan wants full control of a franchise from top to bottom. When he was in negotiations with George Shinn to buy shares in the Hornets in 1999, he eventually called off negotiations as he wouldn't be given full control of basketball operations. Now the arrangement seemed to be that Jordan gave GM Wes Unseld his instructions, and Unseld carried them out. The chain of command seems to be broken now, with Grunfeld being hired as the new President. This offseason is about to become a whole lot more interesting.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:33 AM   #168
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Will Jordan opt out of contract?

Will Jordan opt out of final contract year?

June 25th, 2002 | by NBA.COM

Michael Jordan, who gave the Washington Wizards a fantastic year of sell-out crowds while on the court, will not return to the front office, his agent David Falk said in a statement. Jordan constructed the majority of the roster which led to the Wizards clinching a #1 seed in the East and the Wizards also reached the Eastern Conference Finals. Ernie Grunfeld has been hired as the new President of Basketball Operations, essentially replacing Jordan.

The Wednesday announcement came after a week of speculation about his future with the team and followed several meetings between Jordan and the new majority owner Ted Leonsis.

"I firmly believe that Michael's time with us as a player will have a lasting impact on every player on our roster and there is no question that our fans have been treated to a very unique season," said Leonsis in a statement. "In my evaluations this season, I feel that this franchise needed to move in a different direction. By allowing Michael to concentrate on solely being a player, he will be able to maximize the effect of his last full playing season. We fully value and appreciate his worth to us as a franchise leader and All Star player. Ernie and I will look to surround him with even more talent this offseason to push for the NBA Finals."

There is speculation that Jordan tried to buy a controlling stake of the Wizards franchise through various groups, but Leonsis' group was always in the driving seat for that sale. It may have irked Leonsis that Jordan tried to force him out. It's widely known that Jordan wants to own an NBA franchise and have full control over basketball operations, but this opportunity is fading fast now in Washington.

Jordan could now look to buy into the Charlotte expansion franchise, which is open for bidding this summer. BET Entertainment owner Robert Johnson is the favorite, and is a friend of Jordan's. Jordan could buy part of that franchise which may begin play in the 2003-04 season if all goes to plan. Jordan will be retired by then, and can assume front office duties full time again.

Jordan has to do some soul searching now, as he figures out how to finish off his playing career. The Wizards desperately need Jordan the player, but not Jordan the executive. But can they have one without the other? Jordan has a special opt out option in his contract for this season. He must decide by July 1st if he is opting in or out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »