Home

Nowhere to Hide. The Mike Hobbs Story

This is a discussion on Nowhere to Hide. The Mike Hobbs Story within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-07-2020, 08:11 PM   #9
炭治郎

kibaxx7's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Nowhere to Hide. The Mike Hobbs Story

My friend, did you actually feel inspired by my old River Walk story? Thank you so much, it means a lot to me! I had a lot of free time back then... I miss those days Following this one, of course!
Signs (2002), The Other (1972), Ferrari (2023) ×
Old 05-08-2020, 05:45 AM   #10
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Nowhere to Hide. The Mike Hobbs Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderxx7
My friend, did you actually feel inspired by my old River Walk story? Thank you so much, it means a lot to me! I had a lot of free time back then... I miss those days Following this one, of course!
Yes I was! One of the first dynasties I ever read!Yeah lots of things happened over the last few years, like myself having a family now, and work!
Old 05-08-2020, 06:21 AM   #11
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Chapter 3: NBA Draft Night 2000.

Chapter 3: NBA Draft Night 2000.

June 28, 2000.

So here it is the NBA Draft. We have a man we want to get and add to our core. Lets hope he doesn't go off the board before #22. If he does we have a back up plan though.

With the 19th Pick in the 2000 NBA Draft the Charlotte Hornets pick.......Jamaal Magloire.

With the 20th Pick in the 2000 NBA Draft the Philadelphia 76ers select........Speedy Claxton.

As expected Magloire and Claxton are off the board with 19 and 20. Now is where it gets nervy. We want Eddie House. He fits the modern build of a scoring combo guard in todays NBA. Its a close run battle when him and Morris Peterson who is another top guard. So why do we want House more? He's like a Dell Curry clone. A light's out 3 point shooter. There's our perimeter shooting improved massively. If we keep Patrick we need to give him more space to operate inside with Marcus.

Now if the Raptors take House here, which they might, we have the following lined up. DeShawn Stevenson. Super defensive player but shooting and scoring or not high on his list of priorities. He could be a good trade asset.

With the 21st Pick in the 2000 NBA Draft the Toronto Raptors select........Morris Peterson.

Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!Ye s!Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes!

Phone rings:

"Hey Mike, Wally Walker (Sonics) here... So our offer is still on the table..."

"Hey Wally, yes we would love to keep Patrick (Ewing) here.... Not sure we want to do that yet. The public would go crazy if we trade him. I'm not one to be swayed by public opinion, but I could dig myself a hole here before I even start out as a GM..."

"Yes that's understandable Mike. We'll give the Lakers a call."

"Hey don't go too far from the phone, we are looking at your other picks and will see what way the cards fall."

"Ok talk soon, thanks."

So here we go...

With the 22nd pick in the 2000 NBA Draft the New York Knicks select.....Eddie House.

We got our man. The Raptors did us a favour, I felt they would either go with House or Peterson Now lets see what else I can get. Wonder if the Sonics will trade Payton instead..

Later that Night..

All the time the phones stayed quiet on our end. Denver, Indiana, Atlanta, Charlotte and Boston didn't want to give up their picks to us. We were on borrowed time here as we thought our man would have been taken by now. We had exhausted almost all avenues. Sonics were up next at #42.

With the 42nd pick of the 2000 NBA Draft the Seattle SuperSonics select Olumide Oyedeji.

He's still there Mike. Let's do it.

"With the 43rd Pick in the 2000 NBA Draft the New York Knicks select........Michael Redd"

And that's a wrap folks. We got the two guys we wanted, and didn't give up anything. A risk worth taking for Redd. We think he can be an Allan Houston lite, can score in bunches but has a very skinny frame. Need to get some NYC food into him and fill him out.

Now onto our roster. Lots of decisions to be made on team and player options. We need to come up with a list of free agent targets too. Busy times ahead.

Last edited by RMJH4; 05-10-2020 at 10:16 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2020, 08:46 AM   #12
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Free Agents Get Ready To Cash In.

Free Agents Get Ready To Cash In.

July 1, 2000.

As the NBA free agency period began at midnight last night, Detroit's Grant Hill and San Antonio's Tim Duncan headlined a lengthy list of players who could be changing teams. Along with Hill and Duncan, Toronto Raptors swingman Tracy McGrady, Charlotte guard Eddie Jones and Portland forward Brian Grant are expected to be the most coveted free agents.

The Orlando Magic has cleared more than $20 million in salary-cap space and is believed to be the leading candidate for Duncan and either Hill or McGrady. All might re-sign with their current teams, although McGrady has said he probably will not return to Toronto.

The Chicago Bulls are roughly $18 million under the cap and also will be a major player in free agency. McGrady, Indiana's Jalen Rose and Milwaukee's Tim Thomas have been mentioned as players they will pursue. The New York Knicks are also expected to chase Grant Hill, but will only be able to offer a $2.25 million exception contract, or have to work out a sign and trade probably involving players like Ewing, Sprewell or Camby.

Rose is not the only free agent among the top players for the Eastern Conference champion Indiana Pacers. Reggie Miller, Austin Croshere, Rik Smits and Mark Jackson are expected to re-sign, but a source said the Detroit Pistons might make a move for Rose, who grew up in Detroit and played for the University of Michigan.

Other notable free agents include Maurice Taylor, Glen Rice, Toni Kukoc, Rashard Lewis, Cuttino Mobley, Tim Hardaway, Isiah Rider and Derek Anderson.

Teams can negotiate deals with players through July, but no contracts can be completed until Aug. 1.

Because they are over the projected $35.5 million salary cap, the Washington Wizards have only a league-allotted $2.25 million exception to spend on free agents. Teams may split the exception, but Washington probably will use the full amount to lure a player such as Joe Smith, Corliss Williamson, Laphonso Ellis, Kendall Gill, Scott Burrell or Adonal Foyle, among others.

Washington's main focus is re-signing restricted free agent center Jahidi White, who is expected to come back to the Wizards. Other teams have expressed interest, several sources said.

Teams over the salary cap may re-sign their free agents without regard to the salary cap. Since White has played just two seasons with Washington, the Wizards may offer him a starting salary of no more than $3.8 million.

Washington likely will offer White at least a three-year deal, which would average out to more than $4 million. The only way the Wizards could compete with higher bids is to add more years and incentives. White started 59 games and averaged 7.1 points and 6.9 rebounds.

Wizards President of Basketball Operations Michael Jordan said Washington also would like to re-sign backup point guard Chris Whitney, who stirred some interest around the league.

Yet, with a glut of talented free-agent point guards--Miami's Hardaway and Anthony Carter, Indiana's Jackson, Utah's Howard Eisley and Jacque Vaughn, Portland's Greg Anthony, Sacramento's Tony Delk, Orlando's Chucky Atkins and San Antonio's Antonio Daniels--Whitney might find the money pool shallow outside of Washington.

Washington also will be exploring trades, Jordan said. Ideally, the Wizards would like to work a sign-and-trade deal for Hill or McGrady, in which it could move one of its high-salaried veterans--Juwan Howard, Rod Strickland or Mitch Richmond--in return. But the Wizards probably won't find teams willing to take on such salaries, several sources said.

On another note, if the Indiana Pacers hire Isiah Thomas as their coach, sources have indicated that he probably will ask the Wizards for permission to interview Darrell Walker for an assistant's job. Walker is the Wizards' director of player personnel and former interim coach.

A league source said the Wizards would allow Walker to speak to Indiana and would not stand in his way if he wanted to leave. The Pacers are expected to name Thomas or assistant coach Rick Carlisle next week to replace Larry Bird, who resigned.

Here is a look at the top free agents by position.

* Point guard: Antonio Daniels (San Antonio), Howard Eisley (Utah), Tim Hardaway (Miami), Mark Jackson (Indiana), Avery Johnson (San Antonio).

* Shooting guard: Kendall Gill (New Jersey), Eddie Jones (Charlotte), Reggie Miller (Indiana), Ron Mercer (Orlando).

* Small forward: Grant Hill (Detroit), Tracy McGrady (Toronto), Jalen Rose (Indiana), Austin Croshere (Indiana), Glen Rice (L.A. Lakers), Tim Thomas (Milwaukee), Rashard Lewis (Seattle).

* Power forward: Tim Duncan (San Antonio), Brian Grant (Portland), Joe Smith (Minnesota), Maurice Taylor (L.A. Clippers).

* Center: R-Jahidi White (Washington).

r-restricted free agent
Old 05-10-2020, 10:14 AM   #13
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Chapter 4: What do you think Patrick?

Chapter 4: What do you think Patrick?

July 1st, 2000 - Opening Day of Free Agency

I invited Patrick Ewing to my office to bend his ear. I had heard a lot of rumors flying around about what his plans were and I had to hear it from his mouth.

"Hi Patrick, Have a seat."

"Hey Mike, how goes it. Congrats on the promotion. "

"Thanks Patrick. Few things, but let's start with you. You want to stay here?"

"Yeah I sure do Mike. I bleed Blue and Orange. I would like a contract extension though. After all my years here, I think it's the least I deserve."

"Absolutely. You have been a warrior here Patrick. I do have some things I want to run by you first though. I would like to give you an extension, but I am not sure on the timing of that. We are due to have a lot of cap space for next season with you, Allan and Chris Dudley coming off contracts. And next year the likes of Chris Webber are free agents."

"I know that Mike. I want to win a championship here. I've watched the Bulls win 6 of them in my time here."

"Well this is where I'm asking you to trust me Patrick. We can extend your contract now, but I want to finish your career off with a championship ring. Can we come to some sort of middle ground? I want you to see if you can try and convince some guys to come to New York. It's in your and our best interests."

"Yeah I was kind of thinking about that Mike. Our cap makes things a bit difficult though I guess. If we can grab another star, I'll let my contract run out, and sign a new one next season. If we are going to keep the same roster, I want an extension before the season starts."

"Well first I would like you to see and talk to whoever you can. If we get some interest I can see what happens and move some guys to other teams to create space. If none of the big guys are interested, there are plenty of quality role players we can go after too. "

"I'll be honest here and say I'm happy that you are being honest with me here Mike. I'll contact some people and see what I can do. There are some guys I would really like you to go after. For starters Grant Hill. That dude can help us win it all. If we strike out on him, I really like two point guards. Stephon Marbury over in New Jersey, and Jason Kidd in Phoenix."

"I see. I can't argue with any of them Patrick. Off the top of my head we won't get them for nothing though. I can't see Grant taking the $2.25 Mill exception. We would have to move some guys. I think Allan or Latrell would go in that scenario. And even that might not be enough. What's your thoughts on that?"

"I know. Those are my guys though. But to grab any of those three stars, It might be worth the risk. You make some calls and see whats out there. You want me to contact Grant?"

"Yes do. Ive left a message with his agent to try and set up a meeting. I've done the same with the McGrady kid but I think he's set on Chicago or Orlando. I don't know if the Nets will deal us Marbury unless it's an incredible offer. Phoenix might, and I mean might talk about Kidd, but it will take a lot."

"Well as I said Mike, grab one of those guys and I'll take a discount going forward. My main goal is to win a ring before I retire. I would love for it to be here. If we can't move the needle, maybe we should look at moving me somewhere else."

"Alright. I will do what I can Patrick. If we get a callback from Hill's agent will you come with?"

"Count me in. Even for the McGrady kid. He looks like he has a lot of room to grow too."

"Excellent, I'll page you later on. Anything else?"

"Yeah, dream scenario Michael laces them up again and we win a ring, No doubt."

"Yeah keep dreaming Patrick, he's just started as GM, he ain't coming out of retirement!"

Last edited by RMJH4; 05-10-2020 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:47 AM   #14
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Chapter 5: Recruiting.

Chapter 5: Recruiting.

July 2nd, 2000

Got a call back from a few agents at lunchtime so I'm heading off on the free agent trail. Pretty short notice so I grabbed anything I could. I gave Patrick and Jeff a call and told them to meet me at the private jet at 10am.

First port of call Detroit. Grant Hill's agent has hinted that he may be interested in coming to New York, but he will meet everyone at his house in Detroit.

"Hey Grant, nice to meet you, Mike Hobbs, Knicks GM."

Hill "Nice to meet you Mike. I think I know these other guys here well. Patrick, Jeff nice to see you both again."

"Shall we get to it Grant?"

Hill "Yes go ahead Mike."

"So Grant we are here to pitch a couple of idea's your way today. We won't need to keep you long hopefully."

JVG "Grant we would really like to bring you to New York. We feel you are the missing piece to finally get that championship ring to NYC and for Patrick."

Hill "Sounds good Jeff, and Patrick I'm a massive fan of your's. You gotta understand. I grew up a Georgetown fan. The thought of playing with you is something I've dreamed about for years. Hell look at what uniform number I wear Pat."

Ewing "I'm almost embarrassed Grant, you went to Duke though didn't you?!"

Hill "Yeah sure did. Two NCAA Championships proved I made the right choice though. You know what it's all about Pat."

JVG "Grant how do you see yourself fitting into our organisation?"

Hill "Well Jeff I can fit in anyway your system allows. I can play 1-4, handle the ball, defend, shoot, whatever you need me to. I can get Pat better looks than he ever has before. I love your defensive schemes."

JVG "Good to hear Grant, you've given us a tough time over the last few years!"

"So Grant, if I jump to the assumption that you would like to come to the Knicks, there are a few things we need to ask first.

Option 1: You sign a $2.25M room exception for one year, and we resign you for a major contract next season with our capspace.

Option 2: We sign and trade some of our guys to Detroit for you.

What's your preference?"

Hill "Well Mike, guys I'll be honest. The competitor in me says join with the room exception and sign up long term next summer. But my wife and my agent say, sign up for a long term contract now. I'm injured at the moment with this darn ankle, so best for our long term security if I get that big contract."

"Ok for sure Grant. Jeff, Patrick, think we can do a sign and trade?"

Ewing "For this dude? Yeah do what you need to Mike."

"Thanks Pat. Lot of friendships will be broken up though, Jeff?"

JVG "Hey Grant, like Pat and Mike here, we want you and need you. Standing still could get us to the East Finals again, but we need you to win a chip. Let's do it guys."

"Just one more question Grant, let's say we can work something out with Detroit. We could have one more problem. You and Pat wear #33."

Ewing "Let me step in there Mike, if he want's #33 he can have it. I can easily swap to #6. It's not like #33 has brought me a ring in NYC yet."

Hill "Pat I'm honored to hear that... I don't think I could do that though! #6 sounds good to me actually."

"Ok Grant thanks for your time today, we won't keep you any longer. Who you meeting next?"

Hill "Chicago, then Orlando Mike."

JVG "Do we take it you're on board with us?"

Hill "Jeff if you guys can swing that sign and trade, then I'm a Knick."

"Excellent. Thanks Grant."

Wow, have we just signed Grant Hill? I am actually lost for words. He's a big Ewing fan and I think that is swaying it for us. Got to work the phones now before we do the rest of our business.

"Lets go Pat, Jeff, off to Florida next."
Old 05-10-2020, 12:05 PM   #15
MVP

studbucket's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Chapter 5: Recruiting.

I am no fan of the Knicks, but I like how you are doing things here, and it's interesting to see Ewing be the selfless vet and some semi-competent leadership running the Knicks.

🏈RIFLE - a dystopian football league.

🏀Bringing Back the Buzz - my first dynasty.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2020, 04:06 PM   #16
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Re: Chapter 5: Recruiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studbucket
I am no fan of the Knicks, but I like how you are doing things here, and it's interesting to see Ewing be the selfless vet and some semi-competent leadership running the Knicks.
Thanks stud! Yeah the Knicks have always been my favorite 2nd team. I was trying to pinpoint when It all started to go wrong for them, and I decided this season was the beginning of the end for them, so wanted to start there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »