Home

Boxing Off-Topic

This is a discussion on Boxing Off-Topic within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 08-21-2017, 01:45 AM   #3489
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Boxing Off-Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheredia
and don't believe floyd's knockout prediction nonsense....he will not put himself in harm's way by any means. of course, that means maybe giving conor way too much respect in the ring. conor, on the other hand, will have no respect for floyd at all and will probably be chasing him all night while getting peppered with punches left and right. if that goes on long enough, a knockout could be in the cards. it will be interesting to see how conor's power translates into the boxing ring, that is if he can hit floyd at all.
Not saying I believe Floyd's knockout talk, but I'm also not dismissing it either.

I've been a Floyd fan ever since Gatti. I know many Floyd fans. We are all in agreement, if the fight goes the distance it would be a loss for Floyd when it comes to legacy and respect.

Though unlikely, it is possible that Floyd understands this and does go for a slobberknocker.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:15 PM   #3490
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLightning
FS1 replayed the Diaz fights with Conor. Man he has absolutely no chance against a boxer like Floyd.
McGregor's stamina fades quickly.

He's not made for this.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:06 PM   #3491
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
I've been a Floyd fan ever since Gatti. I know many Floyd fans. We are all in agreement, if the fight goes the distance it would be a loss for Floyd when it comes to legacy and respect.
bigeastbumrush had alerted me to McGregor's media workout video and after seeing it I think Floyd will use the "Conor head" as a makeshift speedbag. His solo movements inside the ring while surrounded by a massive media crowd reminded me of:

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2017, 05:55 PM   #3492
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
bigeastbumrush had alerted me to McGregor's media workout video and after seeing it I think Floyd will use the "Conor head" as a makeshift speedbag. His solo movements inside the ring while surrounded by a massive media crowd reminded me of:

Lol. i love boxing only fans reactions to Conor's training. Conor has been doing that **** for years. He has a movement coach who teaches him that one of the most important things about striking is to be loose. Conor believes that **** and it seems to be working for him.

It's not like he's going to be doing that stuff in the ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 08-21-2017, 06:18 PM   #3493
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Lol. i love boxing only fans reactions to Conor's training. Conor has been doing that **** for years. He has a movement coach who teaches him that one of the most important things about striking is to be loose. Conor believes that **** and it seems to be working for him.

It's not like he's going to be doing that stuff in the ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
So what exactly is he going to be doing..lol

That's the problem. These boxers have been training muscle memory and repetitive movement since they were kids or at latest amateurs.

Conor is all of a sudden going to have deft head and feet movement that goes opposite his training?

He'll do what's natural to him.

Yes I agree some of the sparring movements do seem ridiculous even for boxers. But Conor showed no work besides pounding a heavybag.

I guess he'll surprise us all come Saturday. Because that loose movement will go right out the window when he's completely gassed by the 4th or 5th round.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:25 PM   #3494
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
So what exactly is he going to be doing..lol

That's the problem. These boxers have been training muscle memory and repetitive movement since they were kids or at latest amateurs.

Conor is all of a sudden going to have deft head and feet movement that goes opposite his training?

He'll do what's natural to him.

Yes I agree some of the sparring movements do seem ridiculous even for boxers. But Conor showed no work besides pounding a heavybag.

I guess he'll surprise us all come Saturday. Because that loose movement will go right out the window when he's completely gassed by the 4th or 5th round.

He will do what he does in his MMA fights. He will pressure with forward movement and look to counter. He wont use heavy volume and he will clinch alot when he gets in close. When he's inside, he will attempt to rough up Floyd in the clinch. He will hope that Floyd does attempt to lead and try to catch him with hard counters.

What cracks me up is people act like Conor doesnt use head movement. I'm working on a project where I've had to watch hundreds of fights over the last few months. I watched every Conor fight since his UFC debut. One of the things I had to document was how often he uses head movement vs. blocking vs. lunges.

My very rudimentary numbers have him using head movement 65% when a strike is thrown at him. In fact, one of his favorite strikes is a lean back counter where he leans back from a straight jab or cross and counters with a quick counter. 25% of the time he's using lunges to defend.

So to act like Conor hasnt spent years training using head movement or foot movement is comical.

Now if your point is that it isnt on an elite boxer level or that its not on Floyd's level....sure but thats ****ing obvious.

Last point: Its funny how people use the Diaz fight as an example of Conor having no gas tank. I always thought that was a lazy *** analysis.

Nate Diaz has perhaps one of the best chins in the world. He's fought 22 times in the UFC fighting the best in the world and he's been KO'd once (and that was from a head kick). Now how that relates to Conor's stamina is that in both fights the pace of that fight was high. Conor was throwing more strikes and heavier strikes than he ever has and he was facing a guy who could take that punishment and survive. Thats not even factoring the grappling (which is one of the most tiring activities in combat sports).

Unless Floyd COMPLETELY changes his gameplan from what he normally does, the pace wont be that high. If anything, Floyd will be even more conservative because his 50-0 and the biggest upset in combat sports history would be on the line. Thats why my money is on either a decision or a late KO similar to the Hatton loss if Conor decides to go for broke toward the end.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:03 PM   #3495
MVP

sheredia's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Not according to one judge.
oh yeah.....forgot about that. lol. p.s. how did you score that fight, jaybee?

Last edited by sheredia; 08-21-2017 at 11:22 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2017, 11:06 PM   #3496
MVP

sheredia's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Not saying I believe Floyd's knockout talk, but I'm also not dismissing it either.

Though unlikely, it is possible that Floyd understands this and does go for a slobberknocker.
this will be a win for everybody watching then.....

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »