Home

Old 08-24-2017, 05:27 PM   #3529
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Boxing Off-Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
You can explain better than me why MMA fighters drop so much once hit. I have my theories.

But Conor hitting Floyd and actually doing damage are 2 different things.
Does Conor hurt opponents a lot with his kicks to soften them up for his "hand strikes"?
Old 08-24-2017, 05:51 PM   #3530
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
And herein lies the problem.

Floyd does get hit. As elusive as he is, he gets hit a ton.

It's just rarely ever clean.

Guys with way more power than Conor have managed to hit Floyd clean (Mosley).
Guys with way more power than Conor have worked Floyd's body (OscarDLH).

Boxers are used to taking punches. They're used to getting hit but having enough legs under them to not drop.

You can explain better than me why MMA fighters drop so much once hit. I have my theories.

But Conor hitting Floyd and actually doing damage are 2 different things.
Floyd has a opponent connect percentage of 19% which puts him 4th in the history of boxing. He doesnt get hit. Whether its the body or head, 19% of those punches land.

I have no idea if a old Mosley (who dropped Floyd in the 2nd) has "way more power" than Conor. Same for an old Oscar. I know that Conor has power. I know that only UFC fights he hasnt finished were against Diaz (a guy with an incredible chin) and Holloway (the current FW champ and a fight that Conor won with a torn ACL).

With that said at this point, I dont even know what people are debating. I give Conor a 1% chance of winning and have since the fight was even thought of. Do I think Conor could hurt Floyd? Sure. Conor hits hard and Floyd is older. Do I think Conor will get KO'd? Maybe but the evidence (He quit against Diaz/ He got tired in the Diaz fight/He's not a pro boxer) isnt enough to convince me that it will definitely happen.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:54 PM   #3531
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
If Conor loses a one sided decision to Floyd but survives do you think he goes back to MMA?

LOL, the better question is if makes $100 million dollars for this fight would he go back to MMA? Couldn't he go into acting, like take over the Roadhouse remake that Rousey was supposed to do?
100%

The guy is 29. We have no idea if Conor can act. We have no idea if he is interested in acting. There are 25-30 mil paydays in the UFC and the potential to get an ownership piece of the UFC. Other than Canelo, there isnt anyone else in Boxing who could generate a 100 (or even a 50 mil) payday for Conor and if he loses a one sided decision, fans wont be clamoring to see him back in the boxing ring.

The only way he doesnt come back to MMA is if he KOs Floyd.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2017, 05:56 PM   #3532
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Does Conor hurt opponents a lot with his kicks to soften them up for his "hand strikes"?
He uses kicks for distance and some body work. He also uses them as a flashy distraction to land punches. Every KO he's had in the UFC has been from punches. 70-75% of Conor's strikes are from punches.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:07 PM   #3533
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
The guy is 29. We have no idea if Conor can act. We have no idea if he is interested in acting.
Yeah, even Tom Laughlin had the Gary Cooper thing going so you can't just:

Old 08-24-2017, 07:06 PM   #3534
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Mayweather and McGregor will square off Saturday night at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Early Thursday morning during an interview with MMAFighting.com, Mayweather laid out claims of McGregor’s cheating, though he tried to sufficiently insulate himself from being the accuser.
“From what I was told, I’ve been doing my homework and I’ve been hearing a lot about he’s been getting IV bags,” Mayweather said. “I don’t know if it’s true. I’m just saying rumors. I heard he got like seven IV bags, and with the Nevada commission, that’s illegal. That’s what I was told. I don’t know if it’s true.”
When pushed on the validity of his source, he responded, “A strong source, yes.”
Mayweather also used one IV bag before a previous fight because he was dehydrated. Saying that McGregor is going to extreme measures with IV bags is connected to Mayweather’s other claim from the same interview — that the MMA star is struggling to make weight.

Both fighters have to weigh no more than 154 pounds for the fight.
http://nypost.com/2017/08/24/mayweat..._share=twitter
Old 08-24-2017, 07:38 PM   #3535
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Nate Diaz has arguably the best chin in MMA. 22 UFC bouts with 3/4 against TOP UFC fighters. KO's once and that was because of head kick. The only person to consistently hurt him was Conor. ****, only two people have even knocked Nate down and one of them was Conor. Conor also did that 6 times between the two fights.

Floyd's chin isnt the main reason he survives. Its because he doesnt get hit. Nate does. So talking about Conor's power doesnt really work by comparing the two.
True. But Mayweather has a deceptively good chin. Shane Mosley rocked him in the second round of their bout with a shot that is as heavy as anything McGregor will throw Saturday night, and Mayweather stayed upright and rallied with ease starting in the third round.

Yes, Mosley is smaller than McGregor. But his punching technique was far more compact and direct, so I would guess his power is equal to McGregor's.

Canelo Alvarez is just as powerful as McGregor, and he couldn't touch Mayweather. So the idea that McGregor will "catch" Mayweather is daffy.

Last edited by pk500; 08-24-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2017, 07:43 PM   #3536
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
One fact, not a theory: Their footwork for absorbing blows is inferior compared to a boxer's because they fight much more square, preparing for kicks and ground attacks.

I also wonder how much neck strengthening the average MMA fighter does in preparation for a bout because they must concentrate on so many forms of combat, unlike a boxer.

One of the reasons Mayweather has a deceptively good chin is because he trains it. I don't think I've ever seen a "24/7" with Mayweather where you don't see him at least once wearing the head harness with a weight plate tethered to it, strengthening his neck muscles.

There's also a reason many boxers chew gum. That strengthens the jaw and facial muscles a little bit, and every bit counts. Seriously. Maybe MMA fighters do the same.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »