Home

Boxing Off-Topic

This is a discussion on Boxing Off-Topic within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2019, 03:29 PM   #5081
All Star

OVR: 20
Re: Boxing Off-Topic

Canelo 8-4.

Jacobs was a fool to surrender $875,000 to gain 3 extra pounds and violate the rehydration clause because he never used his height, reach or extra size to pressure Canelo. Danny tried to counter a growing master of counterpunching, and it didn't work.

I doubt he would have fought any differently 3 pounds lighter, so that was a pretty expensive and foolish trade to make.

Jacobs is the Shawn Porter of 160. He's very good, tough and skilled, but not good enough to topple the true kingpins of the division.

I'm not sure Danny will fare that much better at 168, as I don't think his power is nearly as good as advertised. He nailed Canelo with the best punch of the fight from any fighter in around the eighth or ninth, as I recall, and Canelo barely moved backward. That doesn't bode well for success against some of the bigger, tougher animals at 168.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2019, 10:06 AM   #5082
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500
Canelo 8-4.

Jacobs was a fool to surrender $875,000 to gain 3 extra pounds and violate the rehydration clause because he never used his height, reach or extra size to pressure Canelo. Danny tried to counter a growing master of counterpunching, and it didn't work.

I doubt he would have fought any differently 3 pounds lighter, so that was a pretty expensive and foolish trade to make.

Jacobs is the Shawn Porter of 160. He's very good, tough and skilled, but not good enough to topple the true kingpins of the division.

I'm not sure Danny will fare that much better at 168, as I don't think his power is nearly as good as advertised. He nailed Canelo with the best punch of the fight from any fighter in around the eighth or ninth, as I recall, and Canelo barely moved backward. That doesn't bode well for success against some of the bigger, tougher animals at 168.
Agreed on all counts.
I had Alvarez winning 7-5, but could have easily been 8-4.
I felt Jacobs won 4 of the last 5 rounds, but only 1 of the first 7.

As you stated, Alvarez's counter punching has only gotten better as has his defense.
He is close to Mayweather level for staying in the pocket, avoiding shots and landing his own.
He also clearly has a strong chin and is a very strong body puncher.

However, while Alvarez looks powerful, he doesn't really possess KO power - at least not at 160.
I also wonder, as he grows, when he'll eventually start fighting at catchweights like he did when he was at 154. By the end of his DAZN contract, I wouldn't be shocked if he's fighting between 163-167.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:58 PM   #5083
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I also wonder, as he grows, when he'll eventually start fighting at catchweights like he did when he was at 154. By the end of his DAZN contract, I wouldn't be shocked if he's fighting between 163-167.
Oscar with some nonsense about Kovalez or Callum Smith at 175.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:07 PM   #5084
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Oscar with some nonsense about Kovalez or Callum Smith at 175.
Oscar also is spewing nonsense about Canelo fighting Spence at 160.

He may be the Golden Boy, but it's about time the boxing media and fans call out De La Hoya for being an even bigger BS artist among promoters than Arum or Hearn. We don't know about Haymon because he doesn't speak to the media.

DLH is talking this sh*t only to obscure the fact that many of his fighters can't get the best REAL matchups that the fans want because of continued balkanization among promoters and networks.

Just stop, Oscar. Please.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:26 PM   #5085
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Great points pk. Teddy Atlas recently stated on a XM boxing that boxing needs a czar similar to Dana White.
He’s right but that’s a pipe dream.
The only way that happens is if one of the promoters signs all the best fighters.
All of this nonsense would come to an end if the alphabet belts ranked champs from other organizations and forced them to defend against one another.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2019, 04:12 PM   #5086
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Great points pk. Teddy Atlas recently stated on a XM boxing that boxing needs a czar similar to Dana White.
He’s right but that’s a pipe dream.
The only way that happens is if one of the promoters signs all the best fighters.
All of this nonsense would come to an end if the alphabet belts ranked champs from other organizations and forced them to defend against one another.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
White's power is overstated. Sure, he has a monopoly on UFC fighters. But he also pays them complete sh*t compared to top boxers, and some are defecting to other MMA groups. Plus he has even less of a grasp on the PED scourge that infects MMA than boxing does on its drug problems.

The ideal boxing czar continues to pay top fighters at the going rate while giving fans the matchups they crave.

I know: Dream on.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:41 PM   #5087
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

Damn, Harold Lederman passed away today.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:18 AM   #5088
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Damn, Harold Lederman passed away today.
Wow. RIP Harold.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »