Home

Rebuilding the Browns (HC 09)

This is a discussion on Rebuilding the Browns (HC 09) within the Coaching Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2009, 02:28 PM   #9
All Star

rdnk's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Rebuilding the Browns (HC 09)

Looks interesting; nice to see someone use the Tampa 2, as the other dynasties have used aggressive 3-4 (with some 4-3 and other stuff thrown in, I am guilty of this myself).
How can Shaun Rogers be so bad? Is it just the wrong philosophy for him? (lol makes you wish you had Bodden back, and that 3rd).
Old 05-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #10
MVP

BrnwsBucksFanNC's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnk
Looks interesting; nice to see someone use the Tampa 2, as the other dynasties have used aggressive 3-4 (with some 4-3 and other stuff thrown in, I am guilty of this myself).
How can Shaun Rogers be so bad? Is it just the wrong philosophy for him? (lol makes you wish you had Bodden back, and that 3rd).
Thanks.

I like the Tampa 2. I have found with the right personnel and a good mix of plays it does great at shutting down the run and if I can get the right db's they can control the passing game. Yea...I get burnt using it every now and then...but my dl can really change the pace of the game. I like 4 down lineman on defense. I want to disrupt the qb...shut down running lanes and let my lbs float to cover the short stuff.

Oh lord...Rogers is such a waste!! Every time I have played the Browns...no matter what the scheme he is awful. Under this scheme he is a whopping 70...has a 6 yr deal worth 6.5 mil against the cap. If I cut him it hits me at a 20 mil penalty...at this point I would take almost anything to get rid of him...AND that penalty!!
Old 05-09-2009, 01:44 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 42

You might have already done this but before ditching the left over centers see if any can help at RG.

And yeah, your draft is going to be crucial on this rebuild.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2009, 10:35 AM   #12
MVP

BrnwsBucksFanNC's Arena

BERIA, OH (Cleveland Browns Training Facility): Anyone walking in to the Cleveland Browns Training Camp this year will see a new attitude with the team. The players have a swagger that has not been seen in many years. The Browns front office was very busy in the off-season and started making changes almost immediately. As soon as the Free Agency period began the coaches kept RG Ben Noll on the radar. They were able to entice Noll into joining the Browns with a 4 year $19 million contract and a $2.5 million bonus. Some of the players were shocked at how aggressively Coach Hayes went in to the negotiations with Noll, but Hayes responded "Without a good offensive line this team goes nowhere...so we have to put the money where our mouths are." They also orchestrated some trades which addressed the long term plans of the team. They acquired LE Hatcher from the Cowboys for thier 2009 4th and 6th Round picks. They also were able to pick up WR S. Moss from the Giants for their 2009 5th Round and 2010 5th Round picks. The defensive backs were helped by the acquisition of CB Greer from the Bills for thier 2010 6th Round pick. The Browns were able to trade reserve QB Ken Dorsey to the Dolphins for the Fins 2008 and 2009 7th round picks. They also shopped C Fraley and worked out a trade with the Rams for their 2008 6th round pick and their 2009 5th round.

The Draft is in 2 days and it will be interesting to see how the Browns handle this draft since they only have 6 picks and the first one isnt until the 4th Round.

Last edited by BrnwsBucksFanNC; 05-09-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:44 AM   #13
MVP

BrnwsBucksFanNC's Arena

Cleveland, OH (Cleveland Browns HQ): The NFL Draft has been completed and the Browns are getting ready for the start of the Mandatory Workouts. Coach Hayes was pleased with the outcome of the draft stating, "We were able to address some needs with this draft. We lost out on some of the players we had targeted, but overall it went well. Like all teams, we want to hope we chose well, but I have a feeling we found at least 1 player that is going to surprise the league."
The Browns picked CB Jake Ikeguwonu from Wisc with the 23rd pick of the 4th round. Then went to try and beef up the d-line with their next pick, DT Nick Hayden, also from Wisc with the 22nd pick of the 5th round. Hometown favorite RT Kirk Barton, for Ohio State, was the next player the Browns chose with the 2nd pick of the 6th round. In the 7th round the Browns went looking for some more defensive help. With the 1st pick of the round they chose SS Chris Horton from UCLA and with the 24th pick, maybe the surprise of draft day, they chose little known RE Tony Bake from TCU.
However not all appeared to be going as well as Coach Hayes would like during the draft. Insiders report hearing heated discusssions in the Browns HQ between Coach Hayes and GM Savant about the picks the team should make. We will have to watch and see who wins this simmering power struggle as the season progresses.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #14
MVP

BrnwsBucksFanNC's Arena

Beria, OH (Cleveland Browns Training Facilities): Training Camp has started for the Cleveland Browns and the team is attacking the new playbooks with vigor and confidence. The Browns also invited 5 unsigned Free Agents to camp to see if they can address some needs for the team. DT Smithers, LG Edwards, ROLB Vobora, LT Hills, and CB Sandrick will be fighting for a roster spot in the Browns organization.
The health of some of the players has Coach Hayes concerned. Starting Center Bentley reported to camp with his left leg so injured he cant even play. Bentley refused to discuss the injury and treatment has not been successful, so for until the injury is healed, Bentley will be riding the bench. WR Jurevicius is also of concern. He is also being held out of practice until his helath recovers. Coach Hayes also showed some of the attitude that helped him build the Kent State program when he stated, "Trainer Simmons better get on the ball here, I cant afford to have my players on the bench because of lingering injuries."
The team is preparing for its first pre-season game against the New York Jets. The game is sold out and the fans are excited to see what Coach Hayes has done to the Browns.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #15
MVP

BrnwsBucksFanNC's Arena

Cleveland, OH: The Browns started the 2008 campaign off with a bang. They lost a close game in overtime to the visiting NY Jets, 48-42 in a driving rainstorm with 20 MPH winds. Even though Coach Hayes was not happy about the game's outcome, he was pleased with what he saw...at least in parts of the game,"Basics..we need to get back to basics...our tackling was awful!! Our kicking game was not much better...I know it was in the wind..but 55 yard kickoffs??? And we need to keep our heads in the game...there is no excuse for the mental mistakes I saw during this game. If things dont change very quickly some people will no longer be in a Browns uniform!"
The Browns gave up 377 yards to the visting Jets, most of it off of broken tackles. There were some bright spots for the defense though. Rookie SS Hope had a beatiful interception that set up the Browns first score. The D also forced 4 fumbles and recoverd 3 of them. But they also committed some costly errors in pass coverage that cost the team some points.
The offense was able to show why Coach Hayes likes the offensive scheme he brought to the team. The O got 467 yards with the quarterbacks getting 3 tds and 2 ints. This may be an example of the mental mistakes that Coach Hayes was talking about, back-up QB Quinn threw a very costly INT that resulted in a 67 yard TD, he fumbled in OT and it was ran back for a TD, plus he scrambled 7 times, which were not always needed.
But the fans have reasons to be pleased, if things continue to develop this may be the direction this teams needs to go.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #16
MVP

BrnwsBucksFanNC's Arena

Beria, OH(Cleveland Training Facilities): Coach Hayes started the week off making some personnel changes. He stated he was not happy with the kicking game after the game last week so he made some changes. K Phil Dawson was traded to the Saints for a 2009 3rd round and 2010 7th round pick. K Shayne Graham was signed to a 1 year $2.4 mil contract in an attempt to improve the game. WR Jurivicius was also traded to the 49ers for their 2009 and 2010 6th round picks.
The team is starting to come together as the first rounds of offical cuts were announced. Rookie LT Hills and RT Barton were cut along with Rookie LG Edwards who committed 2 costly penalties in the loss to the Jets.
The injury plague seemed to hit the Browns as well. Starting LG Steinbach has a sprained thumb and will be out for 1-3 weeks, LOLB McGinest has a bruised elbow and is out for 4-9 days; MLB Davis also has a bruised elbow and is out for1-3 weeks; and the biggest blow of all, SS Jones has a broken jaw and is expected to miss 4-9 weeks. C Bentley does not appear to be getting any better so the team is filling in as best it can.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties »