Home

Coaching career of John Eastwood: An experiment in realism

This is a discussion on Coaching career of John Eastwood: An experiment in realism within the Coaching Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Coaching career of John Eastwood: An experiment in realism

2009 Draft Results:

First, Raiders suck. Why I say that will become apparent. Read on.

1. Dolphins- QB Jack English- Stanford. No shocker here. Big time upgrade for Miami.
2. Raiders- LT Javon Jackson-Florida. One of the two players I had tagged for the first round. Would have been nice as a replacement for Samuels, whose getting up there in age. Picked right before me too.
3. Jets (From Redskins)- DE Jackson Hailes- Iowa. With Jackson gone, this trade down was a no brainer. The other guy I had targeted was Juran Riley, and this was just way to high to pick him. Got the 21st overall pick, and a first rounder next year out of the Jets.
4. Falcons- Rakeem Jordan- Oklahoma.
5. Eagles- DE Raevon Hines- Michigan. Hate to see this. Wish the Jets had picked him instead of Hailes, but oh well. Also wish the damned Panthers had never given this pick up in the last draft.
6. Chiefs- CB Russel Kelly- USC.
7. Bears- DT Alain Dixon- Miami. Wow, nice pair up with Tommie Harris here.
8. Cardinals -QB Biff Below- Florida. Normally I'd say bust. But with Hammermill, you never know. He made J. Russel a 2 time MVP in one of my other leagues with the Raiders.
9. Texans- T Antrel Brookes- Houston. Look, hometown pick.
10. Titans- WR Junior Bishop- Florida.
11. Ravens- DE Brandon Sesay- Wake Forest.
12. Steelers- HB Joey Keller- Illinois. Injury prone bust for the Steelers.
13. Seahawks- Will Barkely- Florida. Tackling machine. Good pick-up.
14. Packers- DE Gary May- Ohio State.
15. Lions- CB Neil Gainer- Michigan.
16. SF- FS Amos Tillman- Iowa.
17. Dallas- WR DJ Crosby- Georgia. Ocho Cinco wasn't enough? At least this guy is likely to bust.
18. Bengals- WR Kurt Hampton- Michigan. Gotta do something to replace Ocho Cinco.
19. Patriots (From Jags)- TE Nick Warner- Wash. State. 2nd rounder this year, 1st and a 6th next seems a bit much for a TE.
20. Bills- QB Tom Lacy- UCLA.Why are Morrow and James still on the board?
21. Washington- CB Juran Riley- Texas. Needed this pick. Fired Springs and Rogers, and with Burress, Desean Jackson, and Ocho Cinco in my division a solid corner is a muct have.
22. Chargers- MLB Mack Jackson- NM. Scary teaming him with Merriman.
23. TB - DE John Judge- Oregon. Real shock to me. Figured Kelly James here for sure.
24. Vikings- DT Corey Fitzgerald- USC. Attempt to replace Pat Williams.
25. Broncos (From Saints)- FS Jason Robinson- Oklahoma. Saints pick up a pair of second round picks this year with this trade.
26. Cardinals (from Ravens)- OLB Dvin Mayo- Ole Miss. Bad trade. Mayo is ALWAYS injured. Ravens pick up a 2nd and 4rth this year, and a 3rd next year. Kinda thought they'd have stayed and took a QB though.
27. Rams- QB Dane Morrow- Penn State. Finally, Morrow comes off the board.
28. Colts- HB Aric Haynes- Ohio State.
29. Browns- HB Jevon Lee- Colorado.
30. Eagles- WR Johnnie Brooks- Kansas.
31. Giants- HB Markieff Riley- Washington State.
32. Patriots- HB Craig Burke- Florida State.

So the first round ends with a run on HBs.

Rest of the rounds are just my picks.

2nd round:

Pick 35- G Patrick Boma- NW Oklahoma State. Here is what sucks. The Raiders screwed me AGAIN. Kelly James was still on the board, and the Raiders picked him in the spot right before me. Which means the Raiders had a great first day draft with Jackson and James.
Boma is very early here, but here is the reason. I didn't want to trade down and wind up in the whole stockpiling picks routine. This draft path is too strong for that. Could have taken Alonzi Simms at MLB, but I really needed both a guard and a center and could not have gotten both unless I took Boma here without reading back up. Which, again I don't want to do a lot of given the depth of talent. Plus, this way, Boma, who is a beast, will cost me more that he would otherwise against my cap.

Third Round:

Pick 67- C Seth Offutt- Northwestern. Guy is a great addition, and I HAD to have a center after firing Rabach.

Fourth Round:

Pick 99- HB Leron James- N. Arizona. Can't pass on James here. He'll play mostly as a third down back and spell Portis this season. He becomes great, but doesn't have the ability to just be pushed into the starting role right off the bat. He has to be subbed out too often his first year due to fatigue issues.

Fifth Round:

Pick 131- DT Patrick Lopez- Tennesse. Big choice to make here. I will not have Jason Campbell on my team next season, and I already missed on one of the big QB's earlier. Jake Scott was still on the board here, but I took a gamble on him being there later and took Lopez. I have no defensive tackles worth anything, so this is a big upgrade.

Sixth Round:

Pick 163- CB Jamar Jordan- Hampton. Well, Scott was gone pretty quickly after I picked Lopez. I needed a corner here, and Jordan had decent speed, acceleration according to the scouting reports. I don't expect greatness, but he could make it as a nickel or dime back maybe.

Pick 165- FB Julius Allen- UCLA. Looking for a fullback to replace Sellers eventually. I wanted a good blocking back here, and he was the only guy with any indications of blocking as being his strong point. Doesn't look like much of a runner or pass catcher, but I'm not looking for that anyway.

So there ends my draft. I got some hood players, but avoided stockpiling picks. I definately still have some major wholes in my roster to fill, QB being the most pressing. It's definately weird to come out of this draft with no QB, but I'm satified that, even with the English path, I avoided getting to loaded up front here. I come oput with 5 surefire starters over the next couple seasons, but since I didn't hit free agency, and cut several players, I think I'm in good shape as far as a challenge goes.

Raiders stiffed me out of both Jackson and James though I'd be very surprised if they don't actually develop into a decent team this carreer.

That bring everything up to speed. I didn't take part in the after draft free agency thing. I decided against it given the depth of talent in this draft path. I also don't play my preseason games. Seems to jump the development of some players a bit too much for me, and besides, I just don't much like preseason football anyway. Next update will be roster breakdown after the my roster has been finalized. Thanks for reading.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #10
Rookie

Redskins Schedule for 2009

Week 1- Dallas @ Washington
Week 2- Buccaneers @ Washington
Week 3- Eagles @ Washington
Week 4- Chargers @ Washington
Week 5- Bye
Week 6- Washington @ Giants
Week 7- Washington @ Saints
Week 8- Washington @ Bears
Week 9- Washington @ Dallas
Week 10- Washington @ Eagles
Week 11- Washington @ Carolina
Weeks 12- Giants @ Washington
Week 13- Raiders @ Washington
Week 14- Falcons @ Washington
Week 15- Washington @ Chiefs
Week 16- Washington @ Denver
Week 17- Cardinals @ Washington.

Rough start to the season with this schedule. Could very easily go into my bye 0-4. The last month and a half give me a little room to breath though. Could see finishing a lot stronger than I'll likely start. The first ten games look rough though.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #11
Rookie

Rookie contracts

Juran Riley- Package 9- 5yr- 9.94M, 5M bonus
Patrick Boma- Package 15- 4yr- 3.51M, 1M bonus
Seth Offutt- Package 10- 3yr- 2.28M, 500K Bonus
Leron James- Package 17- 3yr- 1.92M, 250K Bonus, Incentive- Start 16 games, 500K
Patrick Lopez- Package 9- 3yr- 1.19M, 500k bonus
Julius Allen- Package 10- 3yr- 1.06M, 500K bonus
Jamar Jordan- Package 9- 3yr- 1.10M, 500k Bonus
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #12
Rookie

Offensive Depth Chart:

QB:
O. J. Stills. age 23. 66 overall. Potential 79.
Chris Mathis. Age 22. 63 OA. Pot. 76. (R)
Colt Brennan. Age 25. 56 OA. Pot. 66.

Absolutely nothing good here. Nothing. At all. Train wreck waiting to happen people.

HB:
Clinton Portis. Age 28. 82 OA. Pot. 82.
Leron James. Age 22. 84 OA. Pot. 95. (R)
Mark Woods. Age 23. 68 OA. Pot. 75.

Portis is going to be my starter as I bring James along. James has a higher overall, but Portis actually runs better. James catching skills brings his rating up higher than Portis, but he's just not the runner Portis is right now.

FB:
Mike Sellers. Age 34. 79 OA. Pot. 79.
Julius Allen. Age 23. 70 OA. Pot. 74. (R)

Nothing special, but both can block decently, which is really all I use a FB for.

WR:
Santana Moss. Age 30. 89 OA. Pot. 89.
Malcolm Kelly. Age 22. 86 OA. Pot. 90.
Devin Thomas. Age 22. 82 OA. Pot. 90.
Jason Carter. Age 26. 82 OA. Pot. 88.
Antwaan Randle El. Age. 29. OA 77. Pot. 77.

By the numbers, this position seems strong. But, both Kelly and Thomas tend to drop a lot of balls. They look decent, but I wouldn;t bet the house on either of thos guys.

TE:
Chris Cooley. Age 27. 89 OA. Pot. 89.
Fred Davis. Age 23. 68 OA. Pot. 73.
Todd Yoder. Age 31. 59 OA. Pot. 59.

I like Cooley and Davis. Davis plays better than his numbers would indicate so long as he's at the second string position. He's not great, but he's good enough to post decent number at that spot.

LT:
Chris Samuels. Age 33. 91 OA. Pot. 91.
Bo Tatum. Age 20. 58 OA. Pot. 69. (R)
LG:
Patrick Boma. Age 22. 89 OA. Pot. 95. (R)
Bennie Patterson. Age 23. 74 OA. Pot. 78. (R)
C:
Seth Offutt. Age 23. 88 OA. Pot. 93.(R)
Chris Bober. Age 32. OA 75. Pot. 75.
RG:
Randy Thomas. Age 33. 91 OA. Pot. 91.
Montrae Holland. Age 29. 77 OA. Pot. 77.
RT:
Stephon Heyer. Age 25. 85 OA. Pot. 86.
Jon Jansen. Age 33. 84 OA. Pot. 84.

Samuels and Thomas will both have to be replaced. They play well considering their age, and their ratings are still high. But injuries tend to take the edge off of them at times. And their age meand I'm gonna have to look at uprgrading as soon as I can.

Boma and Offutt look solid as long term starters. Heyer worries me. Decent ratings, but he just can't pass block worth anything. He gives up a ton of sacks. Jansen is no help really. Injury prone to the point of being near useless, but it's a 3 M cap hit to cut him, so he stays this season.

Offensively, I am just going to struggle. Horrible QB play combined with a couple major holes in my O-Line is gonna mean a very low scoring year for the Redskins.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #13
Rookie

Defensive Depth Chart:

LE:
Josh Savage. Age 28. 77 OA. Pot. 77.
Rob Jackson. Age 23. 75 OA. Pot. 77.

RE:
Andre Carter. Age 30. 83 OA. Pot. 83.
Erasmus James. Age 26. 79 OA. Pot. 79.

DT:
Patrick Lopez. Age 22. 87 OA. Pot. 93. (R)
Ed Johnson. Age 25. 79 OA Pot. 80.
Sam Rayburn. Age 28. 70 OA. Pot. 70.
Rob Meier. Age 32. 70 OA. Pot. 70.

There is one outstanding player in this group in Lopez. Carter can ge good in streaks, but he's kind of injury prone. Lost Jason Taylor for the season due to injury before the first preseason game. James is constantly on the injured list as well, so he probably won't even be available for many games. Not good.

LOLB:
Donnie Spragan. Age 33. 70 OA. Pot. 70.
Glen Randolph. Age 22. 68 OA. Pot. 73.

MLB:
London Fletcher. Age 34. 87 OA. Pot. 87.
HB Blades. Age 24. 74 OA. Pot. 77.
T.J. Slaughter. Age 32. 70 OA. Pot. 70.
Kendall Boyd. Age 20. 63 OA. Pot. 71. (R)

ROLB:
Rocky McIntosh. Age 26. 80 OA. Pot. 82.
Roderick Green. Age 27. 72 OA. Pot. 72.

Fletcher is a really good MLB. So long as he stays healthy. McIntosh plays pretty well. Seems to be better than his rating would suggest. But that's about it. Fletcher is old and probably only has another year or two in him. We'll see how everything works out, but it's not a great group my any stretch.

CB:
Juran Riley. Age 22. 85 OA. Pot. 95.(R)
Fred Smoot. Age 30. 80 OA. Pot. 80.
Jamar Jordan. Age 23. 67 OA. Pot. 72.(R)
Wally Goodman. Age 20. 65 OA. Pot. 71.(R)
Mike Sendy. Age 22. 60 OA. Pot. 68. (R)

Riley will be a star. Smoot is a decent option on the other side, but I'd really rather have him as a nickel back. But, given how everything else at this position is a major suckfest, he's stuck as a starter. I'm in a division with Eli Manning, Romo, and McNabb. This groups is gonna get toasted often.

FS:
LaRon Landry. Age 24. 90 OA. Pot. 93.
Daquan Buckley. Age 21. 53 OA. Pot. 55. (R)

SS:
Chris Horton. Age 24. 81 OA. Pot. 82.
Rodney Omens. Age 23. 72 OA. Pot. 77. (R)

Landry and Horton. Landry is an All Pro, Horton is servicable with occasional flashes of really good play. Still, torch city in this division.

K:
Alexis Serna. Age 23. 83 OA. Pot. 92.

P:
Durant Brooks. Age 24. 81 OA. Poy. 85.

Serna is good so long as you keep his limitations in mind. Brooks, well, a punter is a punter. So long as he isn't horrible, he's good enough for me.
KR:
Jamar Jordan. 75 OA
Jason Carter. 76 OA

PR:
Jamar Jordan.75 OA
Jason Carter. 76 OA

I have better options available for returners, but I don't like using them. You can just get too many kick returns for TD's the way this game plays unless you kind of compensate by using lower rated returners.

So, defensively, I suspect I'm not gonna be great. Coupled with my offensive woes, this may be a long season.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #14
Rookie

PRESEASON WRAP UP:

Went 1-3 in preseason.

Game 1 Loss @ Buffalo- 29-7
Game 2 Win @ Jets- 24-13
Game 3 Loss Baltimore- 28-7
Game 4 Loss Broncos- 35-7

That's right, I lost those three games by a combined total of 92-21. How I beat the Jets is anybodys guess. Hope that means they suck, because I have their 1st round pick next year.

Jason Taylor got sent to the Injured Reserve list before a single game was played with a torn tricep that put him out for 7-9 months.

Portis got hurt in the last game, putting him out of action for the first 4-5 weeks of the regular season. High ankle sprain. That's a rough stretch of games coming up too.

Erasmus James is also out 3- 4 weeks due to a dislocated knee. I'm gonna get sick of putting his name up on injury reports by the time this season is over.

In other news, I traded Jason Campbell to the Ravens for next years 3rd and 7th rounder. Seemed like a realistic offer for a guy that the Redskins have basically spent the last few seasons undermining his trade value. It leaves me in a world of hurt at QB, but part of my initial plan was to cut ties with Redskins past and Campbell was one of those guys I thought needed to go from that standpoint.

Owner Season goals:
Win 3 out of 4 first games.
Approval rating of 75.

Right, I really see that first goal happening. Cowboys, Bucs, Eagle, and Chargers....yeah, 3-1 there easily with this team.

Alright, there I am.....now, first up on the schedule is the Dallas Cowboys. We'll see what happens.
Redskins trade QB Jason Campbell to Baltimore for 2010 3rd and 7th
Old 07-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #15
Rookie

Cowboys Roll Redskins 38-10

The Washington Redskins had no answer for the Dallas Cowboys today as Dallas wracked up 414 yards offensively on their way to a 38-10 thrashing of their NFC East rivals.

Tony Romo led the charge for the Cowboys offense, leading Dallas on a long drive to take the lead in the first quarter 7-0 with 30 second to go in the quarter. The tone set by Romo would continue all game as he went on to throw for 5 touchdown passes on the day.

Washington countered with a drive of its own to open the 2nd quarter, but on a 3rd and 8 from the Dallas 47 yard line reciver Malcolm Kelly dropped a pass that would have given Washington a first down inside the Dallas 20. The ensuing punt pinned the Cowboys on their own seven yard line and on 2nd and 10 Redskins rookie cornerback Juran Riley intercepted a pass intended for Ocho Cinco on the Dallas 38. Washington moved the ball to the Dallas 27, only to have consecutive sacks force them into a 3rd and 21 position from the Dallas 38 yard line. Washington QB O.J. STills completed a third down pass to Devin Thomas that was good for 17 yards to move them back into field goal range. Serna was successful with the 38 yard kick, but the kick was an indication of how things would go all day for the Redskins.

"Everywhere you look, we had lost opportunities on the field." Coach Eastwood said in the post game interviews. "A dropped pass here that costs us a scoring opportunity, a couple sacks that back us up after a great interception inside their territory, it all adds up. It's the little things, the lapse of focus, that make all the difference in games. We've got to get better at taking advantage of situations when we have a chance to do something."

Continuing the theme, the Felix Jones slipped a sure tackle on the next kickoff to take the ball back to the Dallas 44. Romo moved the Cowboys quickly down to the Washington 4 yard line with tw quick passes to Ocho Cinco. Ocho Cinco would go on to have 127 recieving yards on 7 catches against Riley, who Romo targeted early and often. But the rookie would step up again, tackling Ocho Cinco short of the goal line on 2nd down, and taking HB Marion Barber down for a loss in the backfield on 3rd down to force Dallas to settle for a field goal

"I really like what I see in Riley." Redskins MLB London Fletcher, whose own tackle of Baber in the backfield on first down had set the stage for Riley."He's a rookie corner, first start, and he's got to cover a guy like Chad. It's hard to do. Really hard. But he stepped up and didn't flinch, y'know? Chad got his on Juran, but our guy made some plays when he had to. An interception, the goal line tackles, he really showed that he's here to play. "

Washington would go three and out on its ensuing possesion and Romo would gain drive Dallas deep into Washington territory. Once more Riley would step up to the plate, deflecting a pass intended for Ocho Cinco in the end zone. This time, Dallas would make good on its feild position however. On the next play Romo hit rookie WR Jamarion Bellows, who had beaten Fred Smoot cleanly, for the 9 yard TD pass.

A moment of drama unfolded in the third quarter when Riley picked up a fumplbed ball and returned it 43 yards for a Reskins score. The score would have kept Washington in the game, but Dallas used a challenge and the ruling was overturned.Dallas drove the ball on for another TD.
The Redskins scored their lone touchdown of the game when Stills drove the Redskins 76 yards in the final minutes of the third quarter to set up a Leron James touchdown dive from the 1 yard line. James, who was starting in place of Clinton Portis, could do little against the Dallas defense all day however. He only manages 12 yards on 12 rushing attempts, but was more effective as a reciever where he led the Redskins with 4 catches for 51 yards.

"We didn't expect James to have to play this early. We factored him more as a pass catching threat this season." Eastwood commented." It's kind of hard to get thrust into the starting role, especially against a defense like Dallas, but it is what it is. Players have to step up. Our offence couldn't get anything going running the ball today. Now that's not all James. Our line has to open the wholes, and I've got to call the plays that work. All around, we didn't get it done today. But, I saw some good things. I saw a lot of heart out there. I saw Riley play as well as anyone could have expected given the circumstances. It's a proccess. This is gonna take while, there are no quick fixes. We just have to keep going to work and concentrate on getting better each day."

Washington will face the Buccaneers next week, while Dallas will face the Saints.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2010, 02:34 AM   #16
Pro

Kahuma's Arena

OVR: 17

I think you're gonna make me cry. As a Skin's fan you just RUINED them.

Fun Dynasty though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties »