Home

The James Buffkin Story: Spreading the NFL

This is a discussion on The James Buffkin Story: Spreading the NFL within the Coaching Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 26
Re: The James Buffkin Story: Spreading the NFL

If you get a chance, move RE Jason Taylor in a trade in the near future as he's pretty close to retirement age. I had him retire at the end of the 2009 season in my current dynasty.

Sadly, Aaron Rodgers is a backup in Head Coach. I almost never see him get playing time in anything but that role. Johnson develops really quickly in the Mobile philosophy-85 overall pretty soon after a couple of games in the regular season. I admit, I've never had any success running the options though. I get more success when he scrambles. You might compare the two to see how both do in training camp, then make a decision.

Spoiler

Last edited by Mike3207; 12-15-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

(Oops. Didnt really get to play the first game. Accidently let the time go by while looking at my roster. So it simmed. Weird numbers, too. Dang)

Saturday was the first showing of Buffkin's new team, and it was anything but spectacular. Expected, however, in preseason. The first game, too. \

Final Score:
Bucs: 20
Dolphins: 10

Stats standouts:
Passing:
Aaron Rodgers (for some reason only QB played)
73 QB Rating
1 TD
1 INT
251 yds
45% Completion

Rushing:
Rodgers 7 rushes, 15 yards, 2.1 av
Brown: 2 rushes, 15 yards, 7.5 av

Receiving:
Johnson 6 receptions 71 yards 1 TD
Boldin 3 receptions 86 yards
Bennett 3 receptions 64 yards
Jackson 1 reception 23 yards

Blocking:
Long: 4 sacks allowed

defense:
Law 9 tackles
Porter 8 tackles 1 FF
Gooden 8 tackles, 1 FF, 1 FR
Allen 7 tackles
Suggs 5 tackles
Taylor 5 tackles, 3 TFL

It was rusty, to say the least. Running game was non-existent, which puts all the money into the position wasted. Rodgers did ok, and certainly has the possibility of improvement, but he needs bigger numbers than that to survive in this offense. Not bad, though, so with work in the system, he very well could be a great starter for Miami.

None was seen of the rookie QB's, maybe due to their lack of experience. "Expect work with Johnson," Buffkin stated, however. "See him be used in the plays Rodgers cant pull off. They will probably rotate through the season, so we need to see both of their strengths and weaknesses."

Jake Long, #5 pick of the draft, gave some concern, however. He allowed four sacks while the rest of the line held up. "That has to change," Buffkin told me. "Four sacks is too much in a game, let alone from the LT. We are going to have to focus on that. He is a great talent, but he just got thrown around in his first game. We didnt draft a scrub. He will definitely learn from it, we just gotta show him how."

Week one wasn't a fireworks display, but then again, the preseason rarely is. Ill be back to report after the next game!
Old 12-15-2011, 11:46 PM   #19
Rookie

There was little to look forward to when playing Jacksonville, and it was mainly due to one person:

The defense was slowly torn apart by MJD, with 20 rushes for 140 yards and 2 TDs. Let alone Taylor and Moats, the #2 and #3 runningbacks, also getting more than 50 yards apiece. There is no run defense. "I want to say we were successful against the pass," Buffkin mocked, with Jacksonville's mere 78 yards passing. "But honestly, they ran just too rub it in our face. They kept our offense off the field, made us desperate, and chewed the clock. They were the better team."

Final Score:
Jaguars: 30
Miami: 6

Stats standouts:

Passing:
Rodgers: 67.2 QB rating 0 TD 1 Int 177 yards 57 comp
Johnson: 0 QB rating 0 TD 3 Int 17 yards 26 comp

Rushing:
Turner 13 Att 43 Yards 0 TD 3.3 Av
Brown: 3 Att 16 Yards 0 Td 5.3 Av
Boldin 1 Att 18 Yards

Receiving:
Boldin 5 Rec 42 yards
Jackson 4 Rec 92 yards
Johnson 2 rec 25 yards

Pitiful game, really. The Jaguars ran and never stopped. Miami tried to get it done, but when it counted, such as third down, red zone, etc, it just didnt pull through. Kansas City is next week, and if it doesn't pick up with them, then it will look pretty cloudy in Miami to the fans.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:18 PM   #20
Rookie

Week 3 against the Chiefs brought hope into Miami, especially with Rodger's outstanding play at QB.

TE Tony Gonzalez was the biggest pain to the defense, with 8 catches for 80 yards and a TD. But besides that, the chiefs were kept into check, and Miami came up with a win.
Final Score:
Dolphins: 24
Chiefs: 14
Stats standouts:

Passing:
Rodgers 232 yards 2 TD 0 INT 52 comp
Johnson 48 yards 0 Td 1 INT 34 comp
Brink 58 yards 0 TD 0 INT 56 comp

Rushing:
Rodgers 4 att 12 yards 3 av 0 TD
Brown 6 att 29 yards 4.8 av 1 TD
Turner 8 att 39 yards 4.8 av 0 TD

Receiving:
Boldin: 8 rec 93 yards 1 TD
Jackson 6 rec 105 yards 1 TD
Bennett: 5 rec 63 yards
Johnson 5 rec 28 yards
Turner: 4 rec 14 yards

Defense: Suggs 10 Tackle 3 TFL
Campbell: 9 Tackles 2 TFL

A first win for Coach Buffkin and Rodgers. If he continues to play like this, there will be no competition between him and Johnson.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:07 PM   #21
Rookie

Mami, in desperation for draft picks, had to say goodbye to one of its veterans and leaders:

RE Jason Taylor was traded to the San Francisco 49ers following the win against Kansas City. Miami received a 2009 3rd round pick and a 2010 5th round pick. Now, although still lacking, there is more flexibility with the next draft. Taylor is repaced by 3 year veteran Hawkeye Matt Roth who has been with Miami since 2005. Although Taylor has been a legend in Miami, his age has restricted him, and he would likely have been overshadowed by Campbell. Now Taylor can be the premium player on the line in San Francisco.

The final game of preseason began, and despite a loss, it showed much promise going into the season.

HB Reggie Bush destroyed the defense single handedly, with over 100 yards rushing, 125 yards receiving, and 3 total TDs, including 1 punt return.

Final Score:
Saints: 31
Dolphins: 21

Stats Standouts:

Passing:
Rodgers 60.1 QB rating 2 TD 1 INT 166 yards 34% comp
Johnson 102 Qb rating 1 TD 0 INT 125 yards 56% comp

Rushing:
Brown 6 att 13 yards 2.1 av
Johnson 2 att 10 yards 5.0 av
Turner 7 att 21 yards 2.0 av

Receiving:
Jackson 7 rec 65 yards 2 TD
Boldin 5 rec 52 yards 1 TD
Johnson 4 rec 44 yards
Bennett 4 rec 39 yards

Def:
Porter 6 tackles 1 INT
Law: 3 tackles 1 INT
Campbell 3 tackles 2 sacks

And the debate begins: Johnson, or Rodgers. Both have their pros, both have their cons. Buffkin decides Rodgers will be the starter, but he will rotate Johnson in throughout the game. "Johnson should get about 1 quarter worth of play," he told me.

The final depth chart is finalized, and QB Colt Brennan is cut due to no promising displays. "I had hope for the you, but I just don't see you fitting into this system any time soon," were his final words to the Warrior.

QB: Aaron Rodgers 76 (83)
Josh Johnson 78 (93)
Alex Brink 72 (86)
Tyrone Bruce 73 (85)

HB: Ronnie Brown 85 (90)
Michael Turner 84 (85)
Samkon Gado 74 (79)

FB: Reagan Mauia 82 (86)

WR: Anquan Boldin 90 (90)
Desean jackson 78 (91)
Earl Bennett 78 (89)
Roydell Williams 72 (85)
Jaymar Johnson 66 (84)
Ted Ginn 68 (84)

TE: Eric Johnson 72 (72)
Mike Peterson 58 (84)

LT: Jake Long 91 (96)
Chris Colmer 73 (74)

LG: Ben Noll 87 (88)
Tony Palmer 76 (78)

C: Samson Satele 88 (92)
Drew Mormino 78 (82)

RG: Jake Scott 86 (87)
Dylan Gandy 78 (80)

RT: Jordan Gross 93 (93)
Nat Dorsey 73 (75)

LE: Calais Campbell 84 (89)
Chase Page 72 (75)

RE: Matt Roth 77 (81)
Atiyyah Ellison 74 (75)

DT: Athya Rubin 86 (90)
Vonnie Holliday 74 (74)
Paul Soliai 74 (74)

LOLB: Joey Porter 80 (80)
Channing Crowder 73 (81)

MLB: Tavares Gooden 81 (86)
Ryan Fowler 77 (77)
Antrel Addis 70 (73)

ROLB: Terrell Suggs 82 (82)
Shawn Barber 66 (66)

CB: Ty Law 83 (83)
Will Allen 80 (80)
Jason Allen 74 (82)
Dejuan Tribble 73 (81)
Justin Tryon 71 (82)
Jonathen Wilhite 69 (82)

FS: Ken Hamlin 87 (87)
Josh Barret 65 (83)

SS: Traye Jessup 75 (80)
Bo Wilson 69 (80)

K: Alexis Serna 83 (92)

P:Brandon Fields 81 (83)

KR: Ted Ginn 91
Desean Jackson 88
Earl Bennett 83

PR: Ted Ginn 91
Desean Jackson 88
Earl Bennett 83

3DRB: Ronnie Brown 81
Michael Turner 73

The final roster is set, and we hear about college football, and the upcoming star is Arizona Quarterback Mike Zazzali. And just like that, the season begins!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #22
Rookie

Week 1:

If I had told you Thomas Jones would have ran 33 times for 178 yards and 3 TDs, would you have believed Miami would have had a chance to win?

Well, you better believe it, baby! Miami played maybe one of its best games in years, despite Thomas Jones' ridiculous career day. i guess first thing to praise was the kickoff return team. THREE RETURNS, two by Jackson, one by Ginn, helped the offense out dearly. In fact, Rodgers, Boldin, Brown and the gang never even say the field until three minutes into the second half! The defense was slowly being pummled, but whenever they resorted to the pass, the deffense turned into superstars.

It all started with Kellen Clemons' first pass in the redzone: a pick six by Ty Law. It went downhill from there, resulting in 4 interceptions through the game. This caused him to hold onto the ball more, to think, and once he took more time in the pocket, Calais Campbell lit him up three times in the backfiled, starting the rookie off with three sacks for the season. Wow. And not to forget Suggs' terrific game, with 12 tackles, 3 tackles for loss, and three forced fumbles.

Then to the offense! Beginning in the second half with a comfortable lead, there was no real need to put on much of a show. Safe play, and the game would be won. But no, Buffkin played rough. He made his time fight for every yard they could get. Aaron Rodgers, with limited time on the field due to the Jets' running game, passed for four TDs and 233 yards. Not to mention his rotations with Johnson, who he himself scored a TD pass. And rookie TE Mike Peterson showed great ability in the redzone, catching two TD passes. Will he spring to be a star tight end? Time to see!

Buffkin's press conference was an exciting one. Questions were coming right and left, and in the end he had one final statement: "These guys on my team? I am making them my family. We struggled, as a family, this preseason. But wow. To come out, score 66 points, which is more than Miami scored in more than a fourth of their season last year, and just know, we were the better team... Its nice. But were far from over. The running is still horrendous. We have guys dropping passes. We should have had three more picks out tthere with guys dropping balls. We have to learn to stop the running game. We won't have three returns every game, we won't get 4 interceptions every game. We have to build a team that will win without those. But this family? I trust they can get it done. WE can get it done."

There is no better way to start off a season then to absolutely annihilate a division opponent. Now they can only hope They can play as well against New England.

Final Score:
Miami: 66
Jets: 27

Passing:
Rodgers 102.3 QB Rating 4 Tds 2 INTs 233 yards 66 comp
Johnson: 158.3 QB Rating 1 TD ) INT 50 yards 100 comp

Rushing:
Brown: 16 at 43 yards 2.6 av
Turner: 6 att 9 yards 1.5 av
Johnson 3 att 13 yards 4.3 av
Rodgers: 5 att 20 yards 4.0 av

Receiving:
Boldin 6 rec 92 yards 1 TD
Bennett 6 rec 90 yards
Petersion 2 rec 6 yards 2 TD
Mauia 2 rec 49 yards 1 TD
Jackson 2 rec 28 yards
Johnson 1 rec 5 yards TD

Defense:
Suggs 12 tackles 3 TFL 2 pass deflections 3 FF 1 FR
Ken Hamlin 9 tackles
Porter 9 tackles 1 sack
Campbell 9 tackles 3 TFL 3 Sacks
Gooden 8 tackles 2 TFL 1 INT
Jessup 6 tackles 1 TFL 1 INT
Law 3 Tackles 1 INT 1 TD

Kick Return:
Jackson 75.6 av 2 TD
Gin 98 av 1 TD

This win has put Miami on the radar for sure. While some flaws, they made up with it play after play. Now to see where they go from here.

Input: Wow. I honestly have never had that good of a game before. And the 2 INTs are my fault, I was stupid and called wrong plays. But... wow. Rodgers was slow, and I DID consider swapping Johnson in the rest of the game, but man, did he pick it up! For only 22 mins of clock, we got good yardage. This is making me excited Im adding wildcat plays, just in case I feel like spicing it up. Going to have two sets: One with Jackson, and one with Brown/Turner. Ill see which is more successful, which does better on certain plays, etc. Man, this was just not the team I played in the preseason with. Even though defense still, depsite those picks, is pretty bad. Idk if its the system, my players, the calling, or what. I usually use a blitz defense, so rarely do i have a RB get over 100. It just feels insulting to be run over like that. But ive adden some plays, specifically Suggs blitzes, to help that out, and use his talent.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #23
Rookie

And just like that, Miami is the top team in the AFC East, the only team in the conference not to lose. Suggs was honored as AFC defensive player of the week, also. (Hes #1 in the MVP listings too, but that'll change soon haha)

It is Boldin's return to Arizona, and it would be expected that he is going to want to make plays on his turf one more time. With MVP Kurt Warner, esteemed Edgerrin James, and the high flying Larry Fitzgerald, the Cardinals definitely have the opportunity to tear holes in the defense. This will be the first real test for Buffkin. I will report back after week 2's game!
Old 12-16-2011, 11:15 PM   #24
Rookie

Week 2:
Not nearly the score-fest against New York, with 66 points, but Arizona (sadly Cards fan here) got put into it's place in an embarrassing fashion.

Boldin was definitely missed in AZ, both with the lack of a solid #2 guy behind Larry and his amazing game today against his old team. Scoring 3 touchdowns with 98 yards, every Cardinals fan must have cringed with each catch. He wouldn't be the star of the receving corps this game however, as rookie Desean Jackson got hurt, and Earl Bennett stepped up at number two. With 14 receptions, 219 yards and a touchdown, there was no doubt he and Rodgers were having a connection.

And Rodgers may have just made himself a star this game. 5 touchdowns and 343 yards, he had as perfect of a game as Coach Buffkin could ask for. "I knew this kid had talent!" He screamed after the fifth TD pass.
At halftime, the game was still close, with Miami above only 14-10. But, come 4th quarter, and then the offense and defense just exploded. Then 28 points.

The defense only got two picks this game, compared to last week's four, but Ken Hamlin's was returned for a TD. Calais Campbell racked up another sack, making it four in two games.

Final Score:
Dolphins: 42
Cardinals: 17

Passing:
Rodgers 155.0 QB Rating 5 TD 0 Int 363 yards 83 comp
Johnson 92.9 QB Rating 49 yards 60 comp

Rusking:
Turner 14 att 36 yards 2.5 av
Brown 5 att -18 yards -3.6 av
Rodgers 5 att 14 yards 2.8 av
Johnson 3 att 15 yard 5 av

Receiving:
Bennett: 14 rec 219 yards 1 TD
Boldin: 6 rec 98 yards 3 TD
Peterson: 4 rec 61 yards

Blocking:
Gross 3 sacks allowed

Defense:
Gooden 7 tackles
Suggs 6 tackles
Hamlin 4 tackles 1 INT 1 TD
Campbell 2 tackles 1 TFL 1 Sack
Allen: 3 tackles 1 INT

Post Game Coach Meeting:
Buffkin: Alright. We got the win. Rodgers is playing well. Our defense makes some big plays. But we have New England next week. We cannot let up. We need a running game. And honestly, I dont know where to blame the line or the running backs. Turner has the strength to fall forward and get SOMETHING, but Brown cant even get out of the back field. Ophamer will scheme against our passing game. If we cant get a ground game, soon, we'll never get too far. We need to step it up, though. We are 2-0 by luck. If we do not have 100 yards rushing this next week, then we are just wasting bother Ronnie and Michael's talent. Lets focus on running this week. We are going to have triple digits rushing against the Patriots. End of story.

Input: Wow. Rodgers... Wow. This is so different than what Im used to. I usually use the Steelers Smashmouth offense, and I run the ball 30 times and can rarely get a QB over 250 yards. And, man, no running game somehow, ALWAYS breaking through, and Rodgers is throwing like an animal, dodging blitzers like in real life. Im beginning to think the trade was worth it, now Anyone know what i can do for running, though? Its horrible. Im just wasting their money if I cant get them a rush more than 3 yards. Its not like I havent mastered a bunch of running plays, it just they always break through, they always get to the ball carrier.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties »