Home

The James Buffkin Story: Spreading the NFL

This is a discussion on The James Buffkin Story: Spreading the NFL within the Coaching Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-12-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
The James Buffkin Story: Spreading the NFL

As the University of Florida reigns supreme with Urban Meyer and his spread offense, Florida fans could not help to be excited when OC James Buffkin was offered a job as Head coach of Miami. I, Jeff Blakes, have been given an amazing job by ESPN to be his assistant and follow his career in the NFL.

In his first press conference, he stated that he would bring his successful Florida Offense to the professional game, promising the future of the NFL will change. He also stated that within three years, he will change his #1 pick into #32. Big statements that he and his players look to follow.

In his first days in the Miami office, he and his coaches carved out his Spread Option and Tampa 2 playbooks that will be used in Miami. he then set up his philosophies how the team will be evaluated:

QB: Mobile/Speed
HB: Balanced
FB: Receiving
WR: Quick/Route Runner
TE: Playmaker
T: Balanced
G: Balanced
C: Balanced

DE: Run Stopper
DT: Run Stopper
OLB: Coverage
MLB: Coverage
FS: Centerfielder
SS: Coverage
K: Balanced
P: Balanced

He cut the filth of the team, leaving less than 30 players on his roster and over $50 million in the cap. He promised success to Miami, to return them to their Glory Days: How will he do it? Follow my report to see if he truly brings success, or he's just another hyped up failure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 26
Re: The James Buffkin Story: Spreading the NFL

Good to see someone using the spread option.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #3
Rookie

3/10/2008

Today is my first day as assistant/reporter of Miami head Coach James Buffkin. We had some amazing conversations about how he plans to structure his one of a kind offense. He first said "We need the big men if we plan to survive."

By "Big Men," He referred to offensive linemen. Now, speculation is already being risen that Tackle Jake Long will be Miami's number 1 pick, but free agency may either support that claim or deny it, depending on how you may see it. His first signings were:
RT Jordan Gross, 93, $36 million for 5 years.
RG Jake Scott, 86, $23 million for 4 years
LG Ben Noll, 86, $20 million for four years

Add that to their young center Samson Satele, one may say the final piece to the puzzle is Long. But with only one reciever (Ted Ginn) on his roster and John Beck as the only QB, can he afford to put all that money just into his line?

A questionable signing was HB Michael Turner of 4 years for $22 million. With a long term deal on Ronnie Brown and backup Ricky Williams, many questioned the expensive pick up. With his offense, many in the sports media are scratching their heads as to why spend so much money as a player than may be a back up, and one in an offense that doesn't expect to see much running by the runningback regardless. Buffkin responded by saying "Turner is a man you want on your team. he is a leader. Not one with words. Words hurt him as a player, if anything. But he has heart. He has will. He will lead by example. Having him and Brown rotate, keeping fresh legs through the season, I see that once they get comfortable in the system both will have 1000 yard seasons together. They will push us forward. We also need a back up plan if our starter got hurt, and nothing helps someone less experienced than a solid running game. I do not plan to run much this first year, to be honest. But I know, when I need them, I will have guys in the backfield to rely on. Not many coaches can say that about one runningback, and i can say that about two."

He also added three big defensive players to come in and make an impact immediately:

ROLB Terrell Suggs (82), signed for 3 years for $24 million, has never played in a cover defense, but Buffkin assured the playbook will be adjusted for his style of play. "If we blitz," he said, "it will be with him, and i feel comfortable to let every OC know that. Because even then they won't be able to stop him. He has a fire I've seen since his years in ASU. He has swagger, and every team needs a little bit of that. He enjoys making you hurt and insulting you every way you can. Glad he's on our roster."

Free Safety Ken hamlin was also added for four years on a contract of $17 million to set up the defensive backfield. Ty Law (83) looks to end his career as a Fin, signing a one year $3.2 million dollar contract.

Pro days begin today, and Buffkin is looking forward to the draft. He knows most of these players. Scouted some, played some, and even coached a few. He may have an eye on a few players he hoped could have gone to Florida, and maybe even bring back some of his players.

On this monday, the roster, quite empty, is currently like this:

QB:
John Beck 76

HB:
Ronnie Brown 85
Michael Turner 84
Ricky Williams 78
Lorenzo Booker 73

FB:
Reagan Mauia 81

WR:
Ted Ginn 68

TE:
David Martin 69

LT:
Vernon Carey 72

LG:
Ben Noll 86

C:
Samson Setele 86
Drew Mormino 77

RG:
Jake Scott 86

RT:
Jordan Gross 92

LE:
Matt Roth 78
Chase Page 72

RE:
Jason Taylor 88
Quentin Moses 67

DT:
Jason Ferguson 75
Vonnie Holliday 75
Paul Soliali 74

LOLB:
Joey Porter 80

MLB:
Edmond Miles 70

ROLB:
Terrell Suggs 82
Channing Crowder 73
Abraham Wright 65

CB:
Ty Law 83
Will Allen 80
Travis Daniels 71

FS:
Ken Hamlin 87
Renaldo Hill 68

SS:
Jason Allen 66

K:
Jay Feely 85

P:
Brandon Fields 81

An incomplete roster, to say the least. But nobody said it would be easy. I will report back soon.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #4
Rookie

Sorry about this. Quite Embarrassing. had the Red Ring of death, made me lose progress... I have to delete some now pointless posts. It continues, however.

Last edited by r3df0x102; 12-13-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 26

What personality is your coach and how did you spend your first 50,000 points?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2011, 11:44 PM   #6
Rookie

Ignore this post

Last edited by r3df0x102; 12-13-2011 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Red Ring of death :/
Old 12-13-2011, 01:14 AM   #7
Rookie

Sorry, ignore this post

Last edited by r3df0x102; 12-13-2011 at 05:13 PM. Reason: red Ring of death made it Irrelevant
Old 12-13-2011, 05:20 PM   #8
Rookie

Well, this is quite embarrassing... Due to the Red Ring of Deth, my last 3 posts are irrelevant... Bummer. Well, I will start again from 3/10, Cloud's last save, and use that. Sorry bout that. Im going to see if i can edit or delete those posts.

Just when you thought the offense was empty enough: Trades!

HB Ricky Williams will no longer be a Dolphin. He was traded to Dallas for a 2008 5th round pick.

Following him merely hours later, other HB backup Lorenzo Booker was traded to the lions for a 2008 5th round pick.

Buffkin said to the press: "A talent those guys are, Lorenzo and Ricky Im glad to see them go to where they compete. Turner and Brown will hold it here for years to come. They deserve a chance to compete, and we helped give it to them. They would have gone nowhere here, so from 3rd string to possible starter, well, we all win on that trade."

It wasn't until the next day did a trade spark up talks about Miami, however.

John Beck, Miami's only QB on the roster, was traded to become Peyton Manning's backup. I was in the room when he called up Beck, and he told him "Hey. You're a good player. With good work, you can be a starter, and a good on at that. But I just don't see that here in Miami. You can go and learn under Peyton, be healthy, then boom. Wherever you go next, you're going to shine. I'd rather that than try it here and things not work out. I hope the best for you. You deserve to get a shot somewhere."

That Wednesday I came into the ESPN offices and I was bombarded with questions. So many were wondering how a coach who promised so much offense could possibly be ok with almost no depth this late in Free Agency. I couldn't answer them, except the fact I know he has a plan.

As doubts of his management grumble, Coach Buffkin seems pleased with his team, somehow. Pro Days began on Monday, and as I asked him what his plan was for getting players, he said "Dumb Luck," with a chuckle. "I have players I want. Players I don't want, I'm getting rid of. Players I want that I don't have, I'm going to get. Simple as that."

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties »