Home

Michigan Basketball

This is a discussion on Michigan Basketball within the College Basketball Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball > College Basketball Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #9
Banned

Laettner32's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Michigan Basketball 2009-2010 Season

Ahh...Michigan Basketball...take a knee young 'uns, let me whittle you up a story of times gone by....

I remember watching a Michigan team with a so called "Fab 5" dismantle Detroit Mercy on cable TV. I only watched this game because I knew they would play Duke in a week or so.

I hated this team. They talked so much junk, so much smack, got in the face of every DM player after every play. I kinda laughed, "We'll see how you laugh when Duke comes to Ann Arbor in a couple of weeks ya' hoodlums!" I thought.

I remember that game as if it were yesterday. I carefully followed the instructions on my "VCR" machine to ensure I would record the Duke/M game as I was on my way to see the Longhorns play Louisville or someone...that I don't remember.

Sure enough, Duke came out and delivered a hard right cross to those thugs from M. I still have this game on VHS...I still see Laettner driving right past Howard (who tripped and fell covering #32) yelling as he threw down a monster dunk and laughing at the M faithful suddenly silenced by this show of superior power....

Duke jumped off to a 15 point lead or so. "Now these toddlers know their role" I thought.

I was wrong.

Michigan gave my 'Devils a hell of a game. I hated them because seemingly after every basket/dunk they talked junk in the face of every Blue Devil in the vicinity. "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?" I remember thinking...."These are the defending champions you no-goodniks!" I said.

After a much closer game than I had anticipated....overtime to be more specific. Duke won the game. Howard made a huge blunder late in OT by attempting to bounce a ball off a D player but missing, D recovered the ball and went on to a hard fought victory in AA.

I will not lie. When Duke met M again in the Finals, I was worried. I knew how close you played us in AA.

But experience won out. Laettner had a horrible game, but Grant Hill showed he was to be the future of Duke basketball. And the Fab 5 showed despite their talents, they had much to learn..Duke won back to back championships.

Michigan and the Fab 5 no doubt were among the most influential, followed, admired, and hated teams of the early/mid '90s. They introduced black shoes/socks, baggy shorts(sorry Michael) and no ? "Trash Talk" that would infect the NCAA/NBA till the late '90s.

No question. No banners hang in Michigan. No "official" records. But the Fab 5 were a major player in modern NCAA hoops.

footnote. Only Ray Jackson and Jimmy were the only members of the "Fab 5" to ever experience a victory over a Duke team. Two Texans.

Sorry for the drama....just an old man reminiscing.

Last edited by Laettner32; 11-16-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:35 AM   #10
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

Creighton played great today, thank goodness for Manny Harris he almost had a triple double.....
Old 11-27-2009, 07:47 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 9

manny is a beast i think it will be a three man race for big ten player of the year between manny, lucas and turner
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2009, 08:23 AM   #12
We had subs. It was crazy

MBFranchise's Arena

OVR: 9

What do you guys think will be the achilles' heel of the team this season?

Looks like rebounding and maybe FT shooting.

But I love the trapping 1-3-1 defense and how the team fought for the win against Creighton. Go Blue!
Old 11-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #13
The buzz is palpable now!

sportznut02's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalutationsNJ
Creighton played great today, thank goodness for Manny Harris he almost had a triple double.....
Yeah I figured Creighton would give UM a good game. Michigan give up to many easy looks though and looked very lazy at times on defense. I know Creighton turned it over a lot but the defense has to be better.

As I talk about defense Marquette has 8 points early on all of which have been scored around the basket.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #14
2023 National Champions

Psyblast's Arena

OVR: 43

Ugh, screw this team. Beilein has done a poor job this year, and there's no leadership on the floor whatsoever. Wisconsin was ripe for the picking tonight, and UM is so mentally soft, they just completely vanish at the end.

One of the most ridiculous, most disappointing seasons I've ever seen from any of my teams. What a complete abortion.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:25 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 18

http://twitter.com/andrewbeilein

Sounds like we are giving Gent a run for their money even though we are shooting poorly from down town, playing on their court, and with their rules.

Last edited by sven; 08-22-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2010, 07:50 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Michigan Basketball 2010-2011 Season

Anyone watching the game tonight? Interesting starting 5, but we look decent so far.

D. Morris
Z. Novak
T. Hardaway Jr
E. Smotrycz
J. Morgan

Last edited by l3ulvl; 11-18-2010 at 07:56 PM. Reason: more stuff

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball > College Basketball Official Team Threads »