Home

2011 Washington Huskies Discussion

This is a discussion on 2011 Washington Huskies Discussion within the College Football Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football > College Football Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #33
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: 2011 Washington Huskies Discussion

I'm not sure I'd call it a disappointment. They are just about fulfilling expectations.

But yeah, the defense was a letdown. In particular the defensive line, especially coming off that bowl win last year versus Nebraska, where the d-line made an impact. I was expecting more from the guys coming back, but instead an undersized and very young Josh Shirley seemed to end up making the most plays.

They still have a lot of good young pieces: Price, ASJ, Callier and Shankey, Kasen Williams, and some good young offensive linemen. Then on D you've got Shirley and Parker showing some signs.

As a program they've lifted themselves up into being a bowl contention type of team. Getting over that next hurdle and competing for a conference title will be a big challenge, and will probably take a few years at least.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:46 AM   #34
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by spit_bubble
I'm not sure I'd call it a disappointment. They are just about fulfilling expectations.

But yeah, the defense was a letdown. In particular the defensive line, especially coming off that bowl win last year versus Nebraska, where the d-line made an impact. I was expecting more from the guys coming back, but instead an undersized and very young Josh Shirley seemed to end up making the most plays.

They still have a lot of good young pieces: Price, ASJ, Callier and Shankey, Kasen Williams, and some good young offensive linemen. Then on D you've got Shirley and Parker showing some signs.

As a program they've lifted themselves up into being a bowl contention type of team. Getting over that next hurdle and competing for a conference title will be a big challenge, and will probably take a few years at least.
Well I'd admit that a lot of my post was dripping with frustration, but I stand by my original statement that Nick Holt has to go.

To think that defense is arguably WORSE than the 2008 defense boggles my mind. Holt has shown that he really can't coach players up, and that is what we need. I hate seeing coaches get the axe, but the truth is at best, the defense has stayed the same, and at worst, it's regressed noticeably.

In year three, that just won't cut it. They have lost a few players to the NFL, but all college teams experience that and it's not like UW is churning out NFL caliber defensive prospects.

I am sure Sarkisian will keep him, though. They'll point to the Apple Cup win and a possible bowl win. I am a very patient fan, but sometimes you've got to have some urgency. Recruit some defensive studs. I know it's easier said than done, but this program can point to the fact that wins wise, we've improved every year under Sarkisian. Five regular season wins, followed by six, and now seven this year.

I don't see contending for a conference championship a few years away. Keith Price will arguably be the Pac12's best returning QB if Barkley leaves. If Polk stays (he probably will declare though) you have the best running back in UW history returning. A possible All-American TE candidate in ASJ and a #1 WR in Kasen Williams (this kid excites the hell out of me). The offensive line has to get better, but there are some truly special pieces on offense.

The defense needs to grow up quick. Maybe I'm being too unrealistic, but I truly believe this team could end up in the Rose Bowl in two seasons.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #35
Robot

thaima1shu's Arena

OVR: 21

The way this team is set up, 2013 is the year to make a real Rose Bowl run. Keith Price as a senior, ASJ and Kasen as juniors, Kohler/Porter as seniors and Tanigawa as a junior. On defense, Jamora/Shelton/Shirley are juniors, Sean Parker will be a senior, and hopefully a couple of the linebackers step up. A lot of these young guys will be improving and by the time they're upperclassmen, we could see some great things out of this team.

Overall, I'm ok with this season. The loss to Oregon State was unacceptable, but in the grand scheme of things, I'll take 7-5. All I wanted was 6-6 and a bowl, so I'm happy. I've got all the faith in the world in Sark. Holt ... not so much, but I'm willing to wait it out for the defense to grow.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #36
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

Baylor?!

Oh geez.

I love it though. I love it. It will be a good experience for them, to go up against a guy like RG3.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #37
Robot

thaima1shu's Arena

I'm fine with it. Lots of time to prepare for what looks like the Heisman winner. If that won't get the guys pumped up, then nothing will.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:12 AM   #38
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaima1shu
I'm fine with it...
The "oh geez" was in reaction to the thought of Baylor's 5th ranked passing offense going up against the Dawgs' 115th rated pass defense.

I guess Baylor's D ain't so hot either though. Looking forward to this game, especially now with the added Heisman drama mixed in.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:26 PM   #39
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37

I'm reading that Holt and Mills were fired today.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:17 PM   #40
Robot

thaima1shu's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerBullet
I'm reading that Holt and Mills were fired today.
http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop

Quote:
Washington: We are told that Sark has informed his defensive staff that changes will be made. We are told Nick Holt and safeties coach Jeff Mills will not return.
They better be right. I was all for giving Holt another year, but come on ... 777 yards? With a month to prepare? Worst Husky defense in history? Gotta go.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football > College Football Official Team Threads »