Home

Official Big East Thread

This is a discussion on Official Big East Thread within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-11-2010, 12:59 AM   #2145
Th* ******

Spectre's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Official Big East Thread

I wouldn't mind jettisoning some of the dead weight in basketball. 20 teams would be too much for conference scheduling.

DePaul/Providence/Seton Hall would be reasonable casualties.

For a while, it looked like the Big East was dead as an entity but now it looks like the Pac-10's aggressive expansion and the demise of the Big XII will give the Big East the strength to survive this realignment.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2010, 03:07 AM   #2146
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9

The stars could very well be aligning for the Big East to be better than ever.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:50 AM   #2147
Rookie

realultimatepower's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwolf
The stars could very well be aligning for the Big East to be better than ever.
Yep, I don't think people expected the Big East to be proactive. I certainly didn't, but I definitely applaud them being proactive in staying alive, but more importantly to make the conference better.

Kansas and Kansas State have been very good in both basketball and football in the past 10 years. Not every single year on both sides, but definitely formidable in each sport more often than not. It's going to be interesting how Kansas moves forward in football especially as they've not known success for very long.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:25 PM   #2148
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre
I wouldn't mind jettisoning some of the dead weight in basketball. 20 teams would be too much for conference scheduling.

DePaul/Providence/Seton Hall would be reasonable casualties.

For a while, it looked like the Big East was dead as an entity but now it looks like the Pac-10's aggressive expansion and the demise of the Big XII will give the Big East the strength to survive this realignment.
I completely agree with getting rid of the Basketball dead weight. Personally, I wish the Big East football schools would break away from the Big East to form a Football centric Conference. There is just no way the Big East would approve getting rid of any basketball school.

20 Basketball teams is just too much, especially when 10 schools are Elite, 7 are very good, and 3 bottom dwellers.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #2149
Hall Of Fame

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40

Pittsburgh receives 22 of 24 first-place votes to finish first in the Big East on Big East Media Day. WVU and Cincinnati tie for second.

http://www.bigeast.org/News/tabid/43...-favorite.aspx

Quote:
NEWPORT, R.I. – After receiving 22 of a possible 24 first-place votes, Pittsburgh is the overwhelming favorite to win the 2010 BIG EAST championship in the conference’s annual preseason media poll.

The Panthers had 190 points in the preseason voting of media representatives from each of the eight BIG EAST markets. In addition to the 22 first-place votes, Pittsburgh had two second-place votes, making the Panthers the heaviest favorite in the preseason balloting since Louisville had 190 points in the 2005 poll. Pittsburgh and head coach Dave Wannstedt return 12 starters from last year’s team that went 10-3 overall and was 5-2 in BIG EAST play, dropping the two conference games by a combined four points. The returning players include the 2009 BIG EAST Offensive Player of the Year in tailback Dion Lewis and one of last year’s BIG EAST Defensive Players of the Year in defensive end Greg Romeus.

Cincinnati and West Virginia tied for second in the preseason poll with both teams finishing with142 points. Cincinnati (12-1, 7-0 BIG EAST in 2009) has won the last two BIG EAST titles and brings an 18-game regular-season winning streak into 2010. New head coach Butch Jones will turn to quarterback Zach Collaros to run an offense that has ranked among the nation’s best in recent years, while the Bearcats look to replace six starters on defense. West Virginia (9-4, 5-2 BIG EAST) has finished no lower than second in the BIG EAST standings in every year since 2002. Bill Stewart’s squad has 19 returning starters, including a Heisman Trophy candidate in running back Noel Devine, and expects to showcase one of the leading defenses in the BIG EAST.

A tight finish at the top of the preseason poll has Connecticut in fourth place – the highest preseason projection for the Huskies since they joined the BIG EAST. Head coach Randy Edsall has 17 starters back from last year’s 8-5 team (3-4 BIG EAST) that persevered to close last season with four straight wins after dropping five games by a combined 15 points. Connecticut’s 2010 schedule includes home dates against each of the three teams above the Huskies in the preseason poll.

Rutgers was fifth in the preseason poll with 99 points as the Scarlet Knights aim for their sixth straight winning season and fifth consecutive bowl victory. Head coach Greg Schiano led Rutgers to a 9-4 record in 2010 (3-4 BIG EAST) behind a true freshman at quarterback in Tom Savage and another rookie as a big-play threat in wideout Mohamed Sanu.

USF had 79 points to take sixth in the preseason poll. New head coach Skip Holtz inherits a team with 13 returning starters, including dual-threat quarterback B.J. Daniels. The Bulls (8-5, 3-4 BIG EAST) will have to replace three NFL draft picks and five All-BIG EAST selections on defense, however.

Syracuse was seventh in the preseason poll with 41 points. The Orange (4-8, 1-6 BIG EAST) and head coach Doug Marrone bring back 16 starters from last year’s team, including nine from a defense that was the BIG EAST’s stingiest against the run in 2009. All-BIG EAST linebacker Derrell Smith leads a veteran group in the middle. Defense also is the focus atLouisville, which was eighth in the preseason poll with 40 points. First-year head coach Charlie Strong won two BCS National Championships as Florida’s defensive coordinator and will turn to veteran linebacker Brandon Heath to lead the Cardinals (4-8, 1-6 BIG EAST) in 2010.

Rank, Team, Pts.
1. Pittsburgh (22), 190
2. Cincinnati, 142
3. West Virginia (1), 142
4. Connecticut (1), 131
5. Rutgers, 99
6. USF, 79
7. Syracuse, 41
8. Louisville, 40
Old 08-04-2010, 10:27 AM   #2150
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

This is from the Louisville Board. It is "If the Big East schools were chicks..... " It is absolutely hysterical, You must look at this.

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?ti...246#pid5612246

This is my Favorite and it is absolutely the truth

Providence

Providence is the chick who is the pretty homely (basketball, minor sports) who you drunkenly slept with and got pregnant. You didn't want her as a regular girlfriend (conference mate); however, her family does have a lot of power (BE commissioners) and since you got her pregnant (formed a conference with her), you're pretty much married to her.

Last edited by Cusefan; 08-04-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #2151
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

Orange reinstate top RB Delone Carter

Syracuse running back Delone Carter, who was suspended this spring after allegedly punching another student, has been reinstated to school and will not miss any games this season, head coach Doug Marrone said Monday.

Carter was arrested in the last week of spring practice after police charged him with misdemeanor assault. He was accused of beating up 20-year-old student William Hotaling on Feb. 27 after a snowball struck the car Carter was riding in. Hotaling, though, did not throw the snowball.

Carter was suspended from school and all team activities after the arrest. Marrone said a university judicial review panel reinstated him on Monday and that the senior tailback could be back with the team as soon as Tuesday. Marrone said there would be no additional punishment.

"We took action immediately internally," Marrone said. "Now it's time for us to move forward."

Marrone says it's too early to tell if Carter will start because he hasn't seen what kind of condition the senior tailback is in.

Carter led Syracuse last season with 1,021 yards rushing and 11 TDs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5450168

Best news I heard all day, I was starting to get a bit nervous
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #2152
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

Freshmen WR Jerrod West fractures a bone in his foot, could be a season ender. Not a huge loss, He was not expected to contribute a whole lot and this will get him a redshirt.

Heard that Rutgers also lost a Star WR, tough loss.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »