Home

Official Big East Thread

This is a discussion on Official Big East Thread within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-24-2010, 01:20 AM   #2529
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Official Big East Thread

Coach Charlie Strong for Big East Coach of the Year! Guy has done a super-amazing job.

Powell's quote after the game pretty much summed up what Louisville fan's think right now:

""I tell our younger guys a lot, 'You came into something real good.' A lot of the older guys, the last three years -- I don't want to talk about that. There's a lot of excitement around the building, and I'm just overwhelmed by everything that's unfolding right now.""
Old 10-24-2010, 08:47 AM   #2530
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets
I never would have imagined UConn's season going THIS bad. I had high expectations, but also questions about if the WR's would step up, and just how bad the secondary could be, both which could hold us back. Both have been awful. But terrible QB play, terrible special teams, much too conservative styles on both offense and defense. All problems that have plagued this program, but all problems that we made strides to fix last year.

Endres was our best QB, and it sucks that he cares more about getting high than playing football. But Frazer at least moved the ball last year and helped us win some games. He hasn't improved at all this year, and seems to have regressed.

Special teams, throughout the years we've had a bunch of kickers put together a good stretch, but no one you can count on for more than one season. It seemed like last year we finally learned how to punt the ball, but now we can't cover them. Those 2 returns were embarrassing, just went straight up the middle.

Coaching, last year it seemed like after early struggles learning a new system, we finally had an offense that could be explosive. Now it's back to constant running plays out of the shotgun, and short passes. Defensively, in the bowl game last year we blitzed a ton, way more than I've ever seen, and after the game Edsall said it was because they realized for the defense to take the next step, they needed to be more aggressive going forward. This year, we haven't seen it.

We've had a lot of bad luck with injuries and suspensions at QB, this the worst, so I wouldn't have been that pissed about a loss today. But to get totally dominated like that? We haven't won on the road yet, and the last 3 home games are tough games. We might not win another game.
I'd like to get your opinion on something I mentioned earlier and that being that Zach Frazer is the best QB on UConn's roster, even when Endres was on the team. Frazer played at the end of the game and was 5 for 7 and making terrific reads.

I'm not sure how dominant our pass defense was, we played well no doubt, but it seemed as though Box had that "deer in the headlights" look when it came to reading the defense.

I think Edsell would be wise to give the ball to Frazer and let him lead the team, as I think that is the best opportunity for UConn to win.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 10-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #2531
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

I think that Endres is the better player. He completed about 60% of his passes, Frazer barely over 50%. Frazer's mechanics are just so out of wack, and he can't put touch on the ball. Frazer was QB during our winning streak last year, but he still didn't do much but limit mistakes.

A lot of people were pissed about Frazer being named starter before training camp. I was confused, but gave Edsall the benefit of the doubt that Frazer showed a lot more in practice, and just never got a chance to play enough games in a row to really get going. Looks like now that there were other factors that went into the decision.

I agree that Frazer should be playing now. Too early to play for next season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2010, 05:56 PM   #2532
Th* ******

Spectre's Arena

OVR: 27

Funny but I remember there was one Rutgers poster who would rag incessantly on Syracuse, I forget exactly who it was was but he gave Cusefan all kinds of grief last year constantly heaping on a program that was clearly recovering from years of management.

Funny how quickly the tables have turned

Bravo Sracuse for such a quick turnaround. That defense plays inspired football and it was definitely a fun game to watch. Louisville and Syracuse have made such dramatic gains in just a year, its a testament to the coaching efforts of both Strong and Marrone.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:14 PM   #2533
Banned

peteykirch's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre
Funny but I remember there was one Rutgers poster who would rag incessantly on Syracuse, I forget exactly who it was was but he gave Cusefan all kinds of grief last year constantly heaping on a program that was clearly recovering from years of management.

Bravo Sracuse for such a quick turnaround. That defense plays inspired football and it was definitely a fun game to watch. Louisville and Syracuse have made such dramatic gains in just a year, its a testament to the coaching efforts of both Strong and Marrone.

It's not hard for Rutgers to shoot themselves in the foot when our play calling could be done by throwing a dart against the board.

Our OL can't block anyone, so what does the OC draw up?

Shotgun 4 wide, all patterns 30 yards down field, no check down. REALLY?

I'm betting good money, Flood and Ciarrocca most likely will not be retained, and if they had any shred of decency especially Ciarrocca he will resign before the year is over, and admit his style is suited better to 1AA ball.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:33 PM   #2534
Supporter

SlimKibbles's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteykirch
It's not hard for Rutgers to shoot themselves in the foot when our play calling could be done by throwing a dart against the board.

Our OL can't block anyone, so what does the OC draw up?

Shotgun 4 wide, all patterns 30 yards down field, no check down. REALLY?

I'm betting good money, Flood and Ciarrocca most likely will not be retained, and if they had any shred of decency especially Ciarrocca he will resign before the year is over, and admit his style is suited better to 1AA ball.
Are you sure you were responding to Spectre with that post?
NCAA Football: Miami Hurricanes
NHL: Calgary Flames

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"The wisest men follow their own direction." - Euripides
Old 10-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #2535
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre
Funny but I remember there was one Rutgers poster who would rag incessantly on Syracuse, I forget exactly who it was was but he gave Cusefan all kinds of grief last year constantly heaping on a program that was clearly recovering from years of MISmanagement.

Fixed.

Doug Marrone is simply the right guy at the right time for Syracuse. He has put together one of(if not) the best coaching staffs in the Big East, He has this team disciplined on and off the field, and most importantly he has this team believing in themselves. Just like with Coach Strong, Once you get a team believing they can win, they will. I really think Doug Marrone is the real deal and he is going to be here for the long haul, It is simply unfathomable to think that he would leave for any other team in the nation. The only way I see HCDM leaving early is for the NFL and that would be years away.

Syracuse is 1-3 against teams with Superior Talent, I think they have one more with Cincinnati. Realistically I think SU goes 3-2 over its next 5 game, I think they get wins over UCONN, Rutgers, and BC. Although I would not be shocked if they go 4-1 or even 5-0. That Pitt Blowout loss will keep this team on a even keel so I think they do not lay an egg vs Cinci. Louisville is tough, I think HC Strong is one of(if not) the best coach in the BE so you know they will show up.

I said it Before this season started, people laughed but now most believe: Syracuse is going to a bowl. I just assumed it was going to be a crappy bowl but SU has a legit shot at the Champs Sports bowl or the Pinstripe Bowl. Personally I hope its the Pinstripe bowl, that would be amazing for the fanbase and recruiting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2010, 01:36 AM   #2536
Hall Of Fame

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40

One thing is for sure; after Syracuse's victory, the Big East is as wide open as its ever been.

I could see anyone in the conference outside of UConn winning the conference this year, although it will be easier for some than others.

Pittsburgh seems to be playing the best football right now, though, although those three non-conference losses still loom large, even though they mean nothing in conference play.

I have no idea what to expect from WVU. In some ways, I can see the team getting their asses in gear and winning out. In other ways, I could see WVU floundering and losing three of their last five games to finish 7-5. More than likely, WVU will lose one more game and get another 9-3 (5-2) season and once again finish second in the Big East...

I really want offensive line coach Johnson fired. I'm not sure what to think about offensive coordinator Jeff Mullen. He certainly hasn't produced, but then again he's had an incompetent offensive line every year he's been at WVU, so it's hard to make too much of a judgment. There's a lot of FIRE STEW!!! threads on the WVU Scout boards, but to be honest, I feel that is a bad move. While Stew certainly hasn't done great, I'm not too sure who else we can get that would be better. Sure, there is Malzahn, Sumlin, ect., but I think they would just use WVU as a stepping stone and be right off for greener pastures as soon as they could. It's hard to maintain a strong football program when you have a rotating door of coaches coming in and out every year.

One thing the conference can say is that there are no real sure wins for anyone outside of maybe UConn, but that's only because they lost Endres. It's been a tough year up in Storrs after high expectations. When I read their Scout boards, I see a lot of Fire Edsall threads now.

Last edited by superjames1992; 10-25-2010 at 01:39 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »