Home

College Football Off Topic

This is a discussion on College Football Off Topic within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-24-2015, 11:39 PM   #4161
Chaos Theory

19's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: College Football Off Topic

I knew Joey Freshwater was too good to be true.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2015, 08:40 AM   #4162
Pro

sycodmn's Arena

OVR: 5

So, I was having a discussion on another board, and the topic of QBs in the SEC came up. It struck me that, for the most part, teams from the conference have great players at every position, except QB, at least, comparatively. I wonder why that seems to be so.

Thinking about it, and, admittedly, without doing research, it seems to me that the 'hotbeds' for QBs seem to be California (you can't really argue with the fact that the top two NFL QBs (well, I guess you can argue that Rodgers and Brady aren't the top two) are from California), Texas (lots of guys coming out of there recently), and the mid-west (Pennsylvania has been a traditional source of QBs). Now, obviously, the top teams in the SEC have the ability to recruit nationally, but the only one of those areas that they really have a presence is in Texas, and that only recently.

Really, the topic came up because we were discussing Alabama, and it honestly seems to me that the Tide should be much better at QB, but they've relied on game managers (a great game manager, but still), and now have, arguably, their worst set of QBs in quite some time.

Maybe I'm completely wrong about this, but it's the perception I have. The SEC is not a quarterback conference, especially compared to, for instance, the Pac 12.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:17 AM   #4163
MVP

Amoo316's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycodmn
So, I was having a discussion on another board, and the topic of QBs in the SEC came up. It struck me that, for the most part, teams from the conference have great players at every position, except QB, at least, comparatively. I wonder why that seems to be so.

Thinking about it, and, admittedly, without doing research, it seems to me that the 'hotbeds' for QBs seem to be California (you can't really argue with the fact that the top two NFL QBs (well, I guess you can argue that Rodgers and Brady aren't the top two) are from California), Texas (lots of guys coming out of there recently), and the mid-west (Pennsylvania has been a traditional source of QBs). Now, obviously, the top teams in the SEC have the ability to recruit nationally, but the only one of those areas that they really have a presence is in Texas, and that only recently.

Really, the topic came up because we were discussing Alabama, and it honestly seems to me that the Tide should be much better at QB, but they've relied on game managers (a great game manager, but still), and now have, arguably, their worst set of QBs in quite some time.

Maybe I'm completely wrong about this, but it's the perception I have. The SEC is not a quarterback conference, especially compared to, for instance, the Pac 12.
I personally feel this has a lot to do with how football is played growing up. They have 7 on 7 leagues in Cali and Texas, and such kids out of those regions end up being good QB's and WRs.

In the southeast they grow up playing 11 on 11. If you're fast and athletic you're either moved to QB or RB so you can escape the kids coming at you.

I don't feel it's any strange coincidence or anything that the kids coming out of those regions play a certain way. The one team in the SEC who has consistently pulled QBs from Texas is UGA, and they've traditionally had good QBs.
NBA: Heat
NCAA: Florida & Miss State
NFL: Whichever team currently has the most of my favorite college players
NHL: Caps
Tennis: The Joker & Sloane Stevens
WWE: Dean Ambrose
Misc: Anybody wearing a Team USA jersey
Old 09-26-2015, 11:55 AM   #4164
Hall of Fame

jb12780's Arena

OVR: 23

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2015, 08:02 PM   #4165
Pro

sycodmn's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoo316
I personally feel this has a lot to do with how football is played growing up. They have 7 on 7 leagues in Cali and Texas, and such kids out of those regions end up being good QB's and WRs.

In the southeast they grow up playing 11 on 11. If you're fast and athletic you're either moved to QB or RB so you can escape the kids coming at you.

I don't feel it's any strange coincidence or anything that the kids coming out of those regions play a certain way. The one team in the SEC who has consistently pulled QBs from Texas is UGA, and they've traditionally had good QBs.
I definitely agree with this. Growing up in SoCal, we had summer 7 on 7 leagues, and, even as defensive lineman, I got time at LB. It's easy to see the difference that it made in how teams played, you see a lot more wide open offenses in California than anecdotal evidence would lead me to believe you do elsewhere.

I remember a SI article about how the 7 on 7 stuff was the 'secret' behind Texas QBs, and was a little perturbed because it glossed over the fact that SoCal has been doing that stuff for years.

The south definitely does produce more athletic lineman than most anywhere else, though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2015, 02:41 PM   #4166
Dibs!

Madman55's Arena

OVR: 12

One more Robert Marve post, he retired today at 26 after suffering another knee injury a couple weeks ago.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:43 PM   #4167
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Marve was still playing?!? I feel like he was playing for Miami 10 years ago haha.

Ahhh, never mind, I see he was in the CFL.

― Plato
Old 09-29-2015, 04:10 PM   #4168
Dibs!

Madman55's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Marve was still playing?!? I feel like he was playing for Miami 10 years ago haha.

Ahhh, never mind, I see he was in the CFL.

Yea, my bad. Didn't clarify. Threw it in here since I've mentioned him a few times.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »