Home

College Football Off Topic

This is a discussion on College Football Off Topic within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2020, 10:23 AM   #7553
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: College Football Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
As rough as Covid has been, I am kind of enjoying the thought that Notre Dame might not have anyone to play.
on the other foot if they go 6-0, they have to be the mythical 2020 champion, right?
Old 07-14-2020, 01:31 PM   #7554
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Yep, and if there is a season (I believe there will be), they will expand the playoff to 8 teams and it will probably stay that way.
Hell of an avenue or set of circumstances to take place to get expanded playoffs, but if it happens I'll take it.

I too believe that at some point there will be a season this year.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 07-17-2020, 08:06 PM   #7555
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

"The NCAA is set to present its proposed name, image and likeness legislation to Congress next week.

@RossDellenger obtained a draft of the proposal, and it's still quite restrictive for student-athletes https://t.co/fORbmCdqQe "
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200718_233224.jpg (145.3 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by illwill10; 07-18-2020 at 11:35 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2020, 02:00 PM   #7556
Rookie

The_TanMan's Arena

OVR: 0

I got Clemson winning again this year, that team is just stacked
Old 07-26-2020, 01:40 AM   #7557
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
"The NCAA is set to present its proposed name, image and likeness legislation to Congress next week.

@RossDellenger obtained a draft of the proposal, and it's still quite restrictive for student-athletes https://t.co/fORbmCdqQe "
I am hoping this draft is not what is passed through, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

I know the NCAA is going to drive home the point that if you allow the athletes to obtain group licensing abilities then it will destroy the amateurism side of things.

I also know the NCAA seems to be very against the athletes having the ability to use their school logos/trademarks in any deal. I think this should be up to the school. If an athlete is asked to sign their NIL over, the athlete should have the right to approach the school and use their likeness if the school reviews their proposal and agrees to it.

If an athlete is asked to do an endorsement for a local pizza shop and the pizza shop wants the athlete to be able to say, "Hi I am canes21, quarterback of your Miami Hurricanes..." while wearing a Miami hoodie, then that should be allowed if Miami is okay with it. The school should have the ability to also say no in any endorsement they may not want to be associated with.

I see no harm in allowing the school be the decision maker there instead of it being a hard no across the board because the NCAA says so.

And with regards to being a selfish gamer who wants NCAA Football back to play, having group licensing being available as well as what I just talked about above would be two huge steps towards the series returning.

It will be interesting to see what Congress says. I won't hold my breath thinking we'll get the best news, but I will have a little hope moving forward because I do think the members of the government that are concerning themselves with this are actually going to make it as player friendly as possible. Maybe I am misreading the room, but it does seem like the NCAA is the odd man out right now and Congress is not going to cower to their demands.

― Plato
Old 07-26-2020, 10:39 AM   #7558
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I am hoping this draft is not what is passed through, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

I know the NCAA is going to drive home the point that if you allow the athletes to obtain group licensing abilities then it will destroy the amateurism side of things.

I also know the NCAA seems to be very against the athletes having the ability to use their school logos/trademarks in any deal. I think this should be up to the school. If an athlete is asked to sign their NIL over, the athlete should have the right to approach the school and use their likeness if the school reviews their proposal and agrees to it.

If an athlete is asked to do an endorsement for a local pizza shop and the pizza shop wants the athlete to be able to say, "Hi I am canes21, quarterback of your Miami Hurricanes..." while wearing a Miami hoodie, then that should be allowed if Miami is okay with it. The school should have the ability to also say no in any endorsement they may not want to be associated with.

I see no harm in allowing the school be the decision maker there instead of it being a hard no across the board because the NCAA says so.

And with regards to being a selfish gamer who wants NCAA Football back to play, having group licensing being available as well as what I just talked about above would be two huge steps towards the series returning.

It will be interesting to see what Congress says. I won't hold my breath thinking we'll get the best news, but I will have a little hope moving forward because I do think the members of the government that are concerning themselves with this are actually going to make it as player friendly as possible. Maybe I am misreading the room, but it does seem like the NCAA is the odd man out right now and Congress is not going to cower to their demands.
I've been trying to stay up on this. NCAA wanted to maintain status quo but are forced to because states are doing their own individual NILs laws. They ran to Congress wanting "help". They expected to Congress to just approve what ever they presented to them. From what I read, Congress didn't like the proposal and felt it was to restrictive. Even going by Section 3(c) that gives NCAA the power to deny an endorsement if they feel it is counter productive to schools interests. So if an athlete wants to sign an Adidas endorsement but goes to a Nike endorsed school, they would have power to deny that Adidas endorsement. I know next event is August 4 to discuss Fall championships. NCAA was told by Congress that time wasn't on their side and to step up their game.

I agree being a selfish gamer, I do want to be less restrictive on group licensing. Just allow the companies to have to get approval from schools first. Group Licensing and not having a single entity able to represent all collegiate athletes for negotiations are the biggest hurdles for a return of NCAA series
Old 07-26-2020, 12:31 PM   #7559
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_TanMan
I got Clemson winning again this year, that team is just stacked
Clemson @ Notre Dame in November gonna be HUGE

A Work in Progress
Old 07-26-2020, 03:17 PM   #7560
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
I've been trying to stay up on this. NCAA wanted to maintain status quo but are forced to because states are doing their own individual NILs laws. They ran to Congress wanting "help". They expected to Congress to just approve what ever they presented to them. From what I read, Congress didn't like the proposal and felt it was to restrictive. Even going by Section 3(c) that gives NCAA the power to deny an endorsement if they feel it is counter productive to schools interests. So if an athlete wants to sign an Adidas endorsement but goes to a Nike endorsed school, they would have power to deny that Adidas endorsement. I know next event is August 4 to discuss Fall championships. NCAA was told by Congress that time wasn't on their side and to step up their game.

I agree being a selfish gamer, I do want to be less restrictive on group licensing. Just allow the companies to have to get approval from schools first. Group Licensing and not having a single entity able to represent all collegiate athletes for negotiations are the biggest hurdles for a return of NCAA series
Yea, I read up a bit on this after realizing your post was a week+ old. From what I am reading, it does seem like the NCAA is getting blindsided by Congress which is actually nice. It seemed like Emmert and the NCAA figured Congress would see any change as a sign of the NCAA doing a good job, but it actually seems like every member of Congress that they talk to about this is basically saying thee NCAA is 20-30 years behind, is trying to be incredibly restrictive, and basically needs to completely change how they view this NIL situation because they aren't going to get what they thought they would.

It's also looking like the NCAA may not be getting the antitrust exemption like they had banked on.

Some of the quotes I've read actually give me a bit more hope that maybe this entire thing does work out for the players and we might actually see an NCAA game again.

Here are some quotes that I've liked.

Spoiler

I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but from what I've read, it really does seem like the NCAA is fighting an uphill battle. I had assumed, like the NCAA, that Congress would probably just cave in to whatever the NCAA proposed and would pat them on the back for making change.

It actually seems like Congress realizes what a joke the NCAA is and is forcing them to actually open up and modernize their system and they are trying to put an end to the NCAA's incredibly restrictive ways. Talk is cheap, so we will have to see what the end result is, but I do have more hope now after doing more reading than I ever had before.

From a selfish gamer side, it would be amazing if Congress forced the NCAA to allow group licensing and the players were allowed to associate themselves with their schools. If those rules were forced and adopted in 2021, we might actually get an NCAA game a couple of years afterwards which would be amazing.

That said, I won't hold my breath on all of that just yet, but I do have more hope than before.

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »