Home

College Football Off Topic

This is a discussion on College Football Off Topic within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2020, 04:52 AM   #7609
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: College Football Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
A vaccine isn't going to be a cure-all even if 100% of the population got it. The aim of the vaccine is to only be around 50% effective which is what they also aim for with the flu shot, but they hardly hit that with the flu shot. Most people think if they get a flu shot that they can't get the flu that year, but that's simply untrue. Last year's flu shot was around 30% effective, but how many people know that? Hint, nearly nobody does.

I only know it because I got both type A and type B flu one year and had a miserable few weeks. That made me start getting the flu shot annually. I ended up still getting the flu. After talking with my doctor and doing my own research as well, I learned that the average flu shot isn't all that effective, especially compared to how people believe it works. Heck, the last decade saw the average flu shot have a ridiculous range of 19-60% effectiveness.

While people may think a vaccine is going to lead to life returning to normal, it won't exactly work the way they expect. It will 100% help in fighting the virus, but covid isn't going anywhere. As morbid as it sounds, the good news is that if you are not very old and are not overweight or have pre-existing health conditions, then the virus is actually not that lethal. 19-30 year olds who aren't overweight and have no health conditions have something like a 0.0000006% chance of dying from covid.

That said, we don't know the long-term affects of the virus. Some stories are out there saying that those who had coivd may live with long term damage to their respiratory systems. Other stories say that is simply not true. The fact is we have about no idea right now if there are long lasting affects or not. That alone is enough for me to have no qualms with canceling the season and trying again next year if everything is contained and back to normal.
100%

I saw a recent study that one out of 5 had a level of heart damage. It's scary to think that this could go through someone body. Not feel anything major. But come out a little damaged on the other end. I can't imagine wanting to put career or life on the line when we really have no clue. Like I don't want to play a game like that.

I saw a MAC AD making comparison to water torture SMH (sorry)

Quote:
*"We've all said, 'Let's keep pushing, keep pushing [to play].' I thought that was the best strategy. It's certainly not playing out that way. Now, it's just water torture."
https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...yed-this-fall/

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by jeebs9; 08-09-2020 at 04:57 AM.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:02 PM   #7610
Get off my lawn

JHamilton9's Arena

OVR: 0

The "water torture" quote was from an anonymous Power 5 athletic director, not a MAC athletic director.

(Love me some MACtion.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
100%

I saw a recent study that one out of 5 had a level of heart damage. It's scary to think that this could go through someone body. Not feel anything major. But come out a little damaged on the other end. I can't imagine wanting to put career or life on the line when we really have no clue. Like I don't want to play a game like that.

I saw a MAC AD making comparison to water torture SMH (sorry)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...yed-this-fall/

Old 08-09-2020, 08:53 PM   #7611
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

major league baseball's experience the last few weeks tells me all I need to know what's going to happen when a bunch of 18-22 year olds get together on campus. there is no way in hell they complete a season all the way up to conference championships this fall. maybe in the spring would be a different story. still too far off to know if the 2021 sports year will be much better than the 2020 in all sports

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2020, 10:04 PM   #7612
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton9
The "water torture" quote was from an anonymous Power 5 athletic director, not a MAC athletic director.

(Love me some MACtion.)
Thanks for the correction. Someone used water torture as a reference lol. That's all I was saying lol

Old 08-09-2020, 10:42 PM   #7613
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Sounds as though the power 5 conferences are going to postpone/cancel fall sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 08-09-2020, 10:48 PM   #7614
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
major league baseball's experience the last few weeks tells me all I need to know what's going to happen when a bunch of 18-22 year olds get together on campus. there is no way in hell they complete a season all the way up to conference championships this fall. maybe in the spring would be a different story. still too far off to know if the 2021 sports year will be much better than the 2020 in all sports
The players really should be safer playing football than out in the world. They will be tested, locked down more than usual for meals, tutoring, and classes will be limited or even virtual. They have their own dorms. They also are supposed to stay away from parties and follow the rules for safety.

Regular students are are partying to see who catches it first. Unless the players are getting in a bubble, they would be safer with the football team than going out and doing what other students are doing.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2020, 10:58 PM   #7615
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
The players really should be safer playing football than out in the world. They will be tested, locked down more than usual for meals, tutoring, and classes will be limited or even virtual. They have their own dorms. They also are supposed to stay away from parties and follow the rules for safety.

Regular students are are partying to see who catches it first. Unless the players are getting in a bubble, they would be safer with the football team than going out and doing what other students are doing.

And then spend 3-4 hours every Saturday surrounded by by piles of bodies, from other parts of the country.

If baseball can't prevent it from happening, then football is going to be even worse.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2020, 11:12 PM   #7616
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCrown9
And then spend 3-4 hours every Saturday surrounded by by piles of bodies, from other parts of the country.

If baseball can't prevent it from happening, then football is going to be even worse.
Those other players will have the same testing and rules.

The issue is will players follow the rules or not. Schools need to not give them a choice and create their own bubble on campus. The players have little free time during the week as it is now, so they might as well create a bubble and let the players opt out if they don't want to follow the rules.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »