Home

Week 12 Discussion

This is a discussion on Week 12 Discussion within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-14-2017, 06:55 PM   #1
Burrow Club

Watson's Arena

OVR: 49
Week 12 Discussion

GameDay from one of the four good games on this weekend, Michigan at Wisconsin.

What a terrible week of football. Watch at your own risk

The Schedule
Watson's Viewing Guide
Spoiler

I will be busy on a bachelor party to Knoxville, which is turning out to be a good thing because there is a very strong possibility I will miss nothing while I'm gone. Hold down the fort y'all.

@AdamdotH
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2017, 09:59 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Week 12 Discussion

Pretty clear that Miami isn't going to get the benefit of the doubt like Clemson. 1 loss any time and we're out of the playoffs where as other teams can get 1-2 losses and reach it no problem.

― Plato
Old 11-14-2017, 10:07 PM   #3
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Pretty clear that Miami isn't going to get the benefit of the doubt like Clemson. 1 loss any time and we're out of the playoffs where as other teams can get 1-2 losses and reach it no problem.
I agree man, life is unfair. It's too bad the entire universe has it out for Miami.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:13 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

If I understand correctly, Clemson's loss to Syracuse is more impressive than Miami's win over them?

― Plato
Old 11-15-2017, 12:38 AM   #5
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
I don't necessarily agree with the "out to get me" outlook that you have for Miami Football, but I bet you that if any 2-loss team makes it, it'll be poor little Ohio State. There aren't going to be 4 undefeateds so of course a couple of 1-loss teams will get in.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2017, 01:26 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

It isn't an everyone is out to get Miami thing, it's a double standard this committee has every year for teams. The committee keeps moving the goal posts with Miami.

-First it was they are undefeated, but haven't looked great.

-Then it was okay they blew out VT, but let's see how they do against ND. They absolutely destroyed ND, looked better than UGA doing it.

-Now it's well you were playing at home, you need a nice road win, Clemson's win at Auburn is much better than your ND win. An 8 point win on the road compared to a 33 point win at home.

Sure, going on the road is tough, but let's not act like Hard Rock Stadium has 30 points worth of home field advantage now. It's also a farce that their loss to Syracuse is being excused to the point that it is. I don't care that Kelly Bryant got hurt, they were already losing before he left the game. Every team gets injured, one player shouldn't be an entire team. Miami lost their star running back, best RB in the ACC, for the entire year. Does the committee care? No. We played the Syracuse game with half of our secondary out. Does the committee care? No. We played last month with a banged up OL. Does the committee care? No. So why do they care so much about other team's injuries?

Each year one team is credited with doing one thing while another team is not. Bama "survives" a scare on the road while other teams struggle. I literally heard them credit Clemson for pulling out the W against a scrappy FSU team "on their last leg giving it their all". Are you serious? Miami gets shamed for winning a close one at FSU in a heated rivalry game, but Clemson gets credit for struggling against the same team, that is actually more injury ridden now, at home? Why is it that way? Why is OU allowed to struggle with Texas, K-State, and Baylor..... BAYLOR!... and not get punished for it, but Wisconsin is shamed for not being dominant enough with their easy schedule?

At least Clemson lost on the road at a tough venue, but Syracuse is still a 6 loss team already. Oklahoma lost at home to a 6-4 Iowa State team. They lost at home, but that doesn't matter to the committee. Hell, a loss at home is better than winning ugly in their eyes. A loss on the road is even better. The committee would rather you win by 10, win by 15, win by 21, lose by 4, win by 18 over win by 7, win by 8, win by 4, win by 1, win by 18. It's obvious style points matter which is ridiculous in its own right, but the fact that they have a history of rewarding teams for "quality losses" is a joke.

I'm glad we have a playoff, but my God the committee is still as terrible now as they were in their first year. They allow too many teams to have mulligans while other teams don't get the same luxury. I mean hell, Wisconsin has near as good of a case for #1 as Bama does. Miami probably has a better case for the top spot over Bama let alone being behind a team in their conference that has a loss in conference to a team they beat the very next weekend while having more injuries than the team getting the mulligan.

It's a farce at this point. Last year was a joke with Ohio State getting in. I wouldn't be surprised if Miami were to finish 11-1 with a loss to Clemson in the conference title game close and see them fall while Ohio State or Auburn get in with 2-3 losses. At this point Miami and Wisconsin are being punished for not having lost yet because now even if they lose to a good, ranked team, they will be punished more than the teams that lost to much much worse teams a few weeks earlier. The committee was supposed to offer transparency and all it's done is contradict itself week after week, year after year behind closed doors. Then they elect terrible members to be the talking head for them who just make everything worse.

― Plato
Old 11-15-2017, 06:21 PM   #7
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
It isn't an everyone is out to get Miami thing, it's a double standard this committee has every year for teams. The committee keeps moving the goal posts with Miami.

-First it was they are undefeated, but haven't looked great.

-Then it was okay they blew out VT, but let's see how they do against ND. They absolutely destroyed ND, looked better than UGA doing it.

-Now it's well you were playing at home, you need a nice road win, Clemson's win at Auburn is much better than your ND win. An 8 point win on the road compared to a 33 point win at home.

Sure, going on the road is tough, but let's not act like Hard Rock Stadium has 30 points worth of home field advantage now. It's also a farce that their loss to Syracuse is being excused to the point that it is. I don't care that Kelly Bryant got hurt, they were already losing before he left the game. Every team gets injured, one player shouldn't be an entire team. Miami lost their star running back, best RB in the ACC, for the entire year. Does the committee care? No. We played the Syracuse game with half of our secondary out. Does the committee care? No. We played last month with a banged up OL. Does the committee care? No. So why do they care so much about other team's injuries?

Each year one team is credited with doing one thing while another team is not. Bama "survives" a scare on the road while other teams struggle. I literally heard them credit Clemson for pulling out the W against a scrappy FSU team "on their last leg giving it their all". Are you serious? Miami gets shamed for winning a close one at FSU in a heated rivalry game, but Clemson gets credit for struggling against the same team, that is actually more injury ridden now, at home? Why is it that way? Why is OU allowed to struggle with Texas, K-State, and Baylor..... BAYLOR!... and not get punished for it, but Wisconsin is shamed for not being dominant enough with their easy schedule?

At least Clemson lost on the road at a tough venue, but Syracuse is still a 6 loss team already. Oklahoma lost at home to a 6-4 Iowa State team. They lost at home, but that doesn't matter to the committee. Hell, a loss at home is better than winning ugly in their eyes. A loss on the road is even better. The committee would rather you win by 10, win by 15, win by 21, lose by 4, win by 18 over win by 7, win by 8, win by 4, win by 1, win by 18. It's obvious style points matter which is ridiculous in its own right, but the fact that they have a history of rewarding teams for "quality losses" is a joke.

I'm glad we have a playoff, but my God the committee is still as terrible now as they were in their first year. They allow too many teams to have mulligans while other teams don't get the same luxury. I mean hell, Wisconsin has near as good of a case for #1 as Bama does. Miami probably has a better case for the top spot over Bama let alone being behind a team in their conference that has a loss in conference to a team they beat the very next weekend while having more injuries than the team getting the mulligan.

It's a farce at this point. Last year was a joke with Ohio State getting in. I wouldn't be surprised if Miami were to finish 11-1 with a loss to Clemson in the conference title game close and see them fall while Ohio State or Auburn get in with 2-3 losses. At this point Miami and Wisconsin are being punished for not having lost yet because now even if they lose to a good, ranked team, they will be punished more than the teams that lost to much much worse teams a few weeks earlier. The committee was supposed to offer transparency and all it's done is contradict itself week after week, year after year behind closed doors. Then they elect terrible members to be the talking head for them who just make everything worse.
A few thoughts on this:

- As long as I've been watching CFB, when you lose matters more than who you lose to. That hasn't changed...in fact, no team that has made the playoff has lost a game after week 11 or something like that.

- Miami has looked pretty bad, despite winning, all year. I mean, against UNC they looked completely uninspired. I don't blame the committee for being skeptical. Miami needs to keep doing what they've been doing the last 2 weeks...

- Which brings me to my last point...Miami controls their own destiny. You couldn't ask for anything more at this point. Keep winning and none of what the committee thinks matters.

BTW - I really, really hope we see something instituted that makes it a requirement to win your conference to get into the playoff. So tired of seeing teams back their way in.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:45 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
A few thoughts on this:

- Miami has looked pretty bad, despite winning, all year. I mean, against UNC they looked completely uninspired. I don't blame the committee for being skeptical. Miami needs to keep doing what they've been doing the last 2 weeks...
That is what is inconsistent with this whole thing. Oklahoma struggles against Baylor and wins by 7, but the committee never references this game with them. They get a pass for their struggle. Clemson struggles with Boston College until they make it look bad the last few minutes, they struggle with FSU until they score at the end to make it look worse, and they struggle with Syracuse and LOSE and they get a pass. Hell, Bama gets credit for surviving with all of their injuries on the defensive side of things. Miami had to burn multiple redshirts throughout the last month because of injuries, but they didn't survive they only struggled.

Why does Miami not get a pass like those teams? If you lose earlier in the year the committee doesn't care, but if you win ugly earlier in the year they care much more? Why does Miami not get a pass when half of their starting lineup was injured during the GT, Syracuse, UNC stretch? Clemson gets a pass because their QB got knocked out of a game they were already losing before the injury. If Miami had pulled a Clemson and scored a bunch late to make the final score look worse than it was, would that have been better and erased the other 52 minutes of the game like it did for Clemson?

Honestly, at this point I think if Miami is fortunate enough to enter the ACC Championship at 11-0 that the staff should sit Rosier for the game and say he is suffering a lower extremity injury. They win with their starting QB out, that's great, they lose with him out and you get a free pass or so I've heard.

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »