Home

Wii vs 360: Help me decide my future gaming

This is a discussion on Wii vs 360: Help me decide my future gaming within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-03-2007, 05:26 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 8
Icon5 Wii vs 360: Help me decide my future gaming

So, i'm looking for a new console with a tight budget and need all of you to help me make an informed decision. There can only be one winner., I can't afford both.

The situation is as following:

I currently own a Megadrive (Genesis), PS1, Dreamcast and Xbox. I also have a "ok" computer, P4 3Ghz, 2,25 Gig RAM, GF8600GT, 19' Monitor.

I only have a standard 32 widescreen TV and no money to buy a HDTV so that is out of the question. My monitor have no conection to hook up the 360 via VGA cables either. So the gaming will be done on my standard 32 TV.

I like racing and sportsgame on my consoles. My next game will be Madden 08.

As far as online goes I have a wireless LAN but I can't hook up the 360 via cable due to apartment structure. So Wii online and 360 offline.

So, what should I buy? The Wii will be something new and complement my computer I think. Madden 08 sound really good on Wii with the controllers and all. The we have MArio down the lineand Zelda already out.

On the other hand, 360 offers Next gen Madden and NHL wich are my two favourtite sports. Racing also looks good with Cloin McRae DIRT and Forza 2. But is it worth it without a HDTV?

Also, my friend has a 360 and it sounds like an airplane while the Wii as I understand it is totally quiet.

The Wii is cheaper.

What should I do? Help me out guys, I want to make an informed decision!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2007, 06:00 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Wii vs 360: Help me decide my future gaming

If you like sports and racing, get the 360.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:47 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 15

Based on the fact you don't have and can't buy an HDTV for some time and you are on a tight budget, buying a Wii is a no brainer to me. You also mentioned you don't like the noise of the 360 as well, you also need to factor the unreliability of the 360. If you plan on getting a 360 you seriously need to consider an extended warranty as these systems are still problematic.

I think you would be happier with the Wii, it's getting most EA Sports titles although i'm not sure about Nascar 08 and yes forget about Dirt for the WIi because it was designed for the PS3 and 360.

Nintendo has had a solid track record in the last ten years for building reliable hardware and yes the Wii is ultra quiet you can't even hear it running. Oh and the games costs $10 less than the PS3 and 360 games.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:08 AM   #4
All Star

Holic's Arena

OVR: 31

I agree with Rod. Personally, I own them both, and I couldn't live without my 360.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44

Having a Wii as your only console would be pretty bad. Not enough games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2007, 10:04 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heelfan71
Having a Wii as your only console would be pretty bad. Not enough games.
True but owning a 360 on a tight budget and having it crap out on him after the warranty is over is even worse IMO. And he has no immediate plans for HDTV. The Wii has some pretty good first party games coming out this year as well as third party sports games.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:55 AM   #7
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolus Rex
I like racing and sportsgame on my consoles. My next game will be Madden 08.
The 360 is the best next gen console for racing and sports. Period.

Quote:
As far as online goes I have a wireless LAN but I can't hook up the 360 via cable due to apartment structure. So Wii online and 360 offline.
The 360's games are great offline. I enjoy playing through them in the single player mode, getting my skills up, then going online. You don't need a 360 hooked up to the internet to enjoy it.

Quote:
On the other hand, 360 offers Next gen Madden and NHL wich are my two favourtite sports. Racing also looks good with Cloin McRae DIRT and Forza 2. But is it worth it without a HDTV?

Also, my friend has a 360 and it sounds like an airplane while the Wii as I understand it is totally quiet.
the 360 is still great on non HDTV's, you will still tell it's better than the xbox. I have my 360 right next to my PC and monitor, and don't have anywhere near the sound you say your friend has. I don't think the 360 is any much louder than the xbox, ps2, etc.

Quote:
The Wii is cheaper.
for obvious reasons.

Quote:
What should I do? Help me out guys, I want to make an informed decision!
the 360 is the best console to have right now. It has a steady stream of new quality games, while having games that you can get used pretty cheaply. The Wii sounds alright, but I'm not a fan of nintendo's "release a game every 6 months" policy they've had since the N64.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:58 AM   #8

Bruins's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
My monitor have no conection to hook up the 360 via VGA cables either. So the gaming will be done on my standard 32 TV.
How does your monitor hook up to your PC? Does it look like this?:

Because if it does, then you can purchase the 360 VGA HD AV Cable and you'll be able to hook up your 360 to your monitor.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »