Home

Are You Satisfied With Next-Gen Gaming?

This is a discussion on Are You Satisfied With Next-Gen Gaming? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2007, 04:37 PM   #17
TIm
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Are You Satisfied With Next-Gen Gaming?

This is why I am going lookoing to get a Ps2 or a nintendo wii... I love my 360 but darn alot of the games I try aren't worth the price....The AI is the big thing for me. Alot of good valid points in this thread for Next Gen and Against. I find myself disappointed sometimes.....
Old 08-27-2007, 05:45 PM   #18
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

This is actually a pretty good question.
To be honest.......I would have to say 60/40....being not satisfied.
IMO,the emphasis seems to be focused to heavily on the graphics,dlc and patches.

Don't get me wrong,while the graphics do look stunning in alot of the titles,the A.I (imo) has taken a serious hit....to the point of the games becoming boring quicker than I can remember from last gen. The "shiny" graphics can only last so long.

I'm also starting to feel that the use of "patches" is becoming sort of a "crutch" for developers,releasing games prematurely under the premise of "we can issue a patch down the road" for any problems.

I can't comment on the regular use of "patches" last-gen (xbox,ps2) as I didn't have live then,but it seems to me the games were released in a more "complete" fashion.

Again.....this is all imo.
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Old 08-28-2007, 08:34 AM   #19
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

I'm very happy with next-gen, my only sadness is I don't have time to play more!

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 08-28-2007, 08:49 AM   #20
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59

Very disappointed so far. Xbox Live has new functionality, but I was pretty happy with it on the original Xbox. The games themselves have been very hit or miss. I am mainly a sports gamer, and the lack of good A.I., presentation, basic features that were present on last-gen, lack of innovation, and cost are all big negatives for me.

I am very happy w/ NBA 2K7, CH 2K7 (except for random freezes), NCAA Football '08 (mostly), and APF 2K8.

In the case of NCAA, we don't even have alternate uniforms this year yet, and for CH 2K7, the XBox had some courts and jerseys correct, that the 360 version did not. Things like that make me wonder why the games are $60. Then I see games like Gears, NBA 2K7, Forza 2, and Fight Night 3 and I see more value.

I really go back and forth.

NFL - Carolina Panthers
NBA - Charlotte Hornets
MLB - Cincinnati Reds
College Basketball - Wake Forest
NCAA Football - Appalachian State
Old 08-28-2007, 04:45 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 13

I'm happy with it. Yeah, the AI is sometimes goofy but it's better than last gen. I like the physics engine in the games and the graphics are great.

I buy mostly sports games and F1 is one game I'll probably always keep. CH2k7 was released so late yet I still fire it up and it plays a great game.

I'm actually liking NCAA 08 and that is my main game. I don't have the TO problem with the sliders I use and there are some bugs but mostly outside of the gameplay. I still have hope that the presentation will improve drastically next year.

MLB The Show is the best baseball game I've played. No comments after that are needed.

I'm still out when it comes to Madden. I bought Madden last year for the ps2 and probably played it 10 times. I thought the gameplay was bad and nothing was really new. I'm still trying to see if I like Madden this year or if I'm going to trade it in for some games that I know I'll love (COD, NBA 2k7, Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Sing Star, NHL 08, etc.)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2007, 07:13 PM   #22
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Overall, I think we have invested more money this go around and have gotten less return so far to date.
I agree - a lot of hype for marginal returns. Overall, I am fairly disappointed. Like a lot of guys are saying, it's pretty much the same as last gen with better graphics. The improvements in the other key areas just haven't been there.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:26 PM   #23
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

I have never bought a console during the first year of its existence. I always wait to get the lay of the land so to speak. Once I realized that the A.I., and collision detection wasn't going to make the quantum leap that I hoped they would, I immediately adjusted my expectations as far as sports games go.

I just bought my 360 last month and I think I got in at the perfect time. NCAA and Madden are good games. Bioshock is a masterpiece, I expect Halo 3, Half-LIfe 2: TOB, and Mass Effect to be masterpieces as well.

I'm expecting NBA 2k8 and CHoops 2k8 to be, at worst, very good games.

The only thing that will lessen my satisfaction is if I get the dreaded RROD.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:54 PM   #24
Banned

BunnyHardaway's Arena

OVR: 36

I'd be more satisfied if I had a better TV. As for the consoles themselves, yes I am satisfied.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »