Home

Pound for Pound: XBOX > XBOX 360 for Sports Games

This is a discussion on Pound for Pound: XBOX > XBOX 360 for Sports Games within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-26-2007, 03:23 PM   #1
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
Pound for Pound: XBOX > XBOX 360 for Sports Games

Anyone else mildly disappointed with the sports scene for the XBOX 360? I finally caved in back in August, and bought a 360. There are plenty of things to like about the system including the great graphics. But I also seem to be having much less fun playing sports games than I did on the XBOX. I think I am spending more time trying to adjust sliders/settings than actually playing. Not to mention that I spend alot more time sitting around waiting for games to load.

First out the gate for me was NCAA 08. While the game does some things well, the turnover problem is pretty bad. Like many others here, I have gone on the slider odyssey which has been long and fruitless. I have managed some enjoyment out of the game, but nothing like the '04 version in which I just needed to play a couple games to find settings to my liking.

I haven't had CHoops 2K nearly as long, but that has also provided more work than previous versions. Again, there is alot to like about the game, but some things just don't feel quite right. The offense is stiff and tight with virtually no fast breaks, and CPU controlled teammates are just not very bright. I am hoping to come to terms with this one as I love the series....but 20 games in, and I am not there yet.

NHL 08 may be my best game. That certainly is great for head to head. But NHL08 does not have some basic options that have been common in video hockey games for years. This creates a few dilemmas offline including skill level purgatory, and inability to adjust for shorter games.

To be fair, I found myself spending more and more time adjusting XBOX games in '06 and '07 than I did back in '02. So it may be the games themselves more than the system?....or perhaps it is just me??....afterall, Mattel Football II had even more pics than NCAA '08 and I absolutely loved that game (hopefully the EA execs are pleased to know I give there game the nod over a game from 1982 that had red blips as players).

Meh, maybe I think too much.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-26-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34
Re: Pound for Pound: XBOX > XBOX 360 for Sports Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
Anyone else mildly disappointed with the sports scene for the XBOX 360? I finally caved in back in August, and bought a 360. There are plenty of things to like about the system including the great graphics. But I also seem to be having much less fun playing sports games than I did on the XBOX. I think I am spending more time trying to adjust sliders/settings than actually playing. Not to mention that I spend alot more time sitting around waiting for games to load.

First out the gate for me was NCAA 08. While the game does some things well, the turnover problem is pretty bad. Like many others here, I have gone on the slider odyssey which has been long and fruitless. I have managed some enjoyment out of the game, but nothing like the '04 version in which I just needed to play a couple games to find settings to my liking.

I haven't had CHoops 2K nearly as long, but that has also provided more work than previous versions. Again, there is alot to like about the game, but some things just don't feel quite right. The offense is stiff and tight with virtually no fast breaks, and CPU controlled teammates are just not very bright. I am hoping to come to terms with this one as I love the series....but 20 games in, and I am not there yet.

NHL 08 may be my best game. That certainly is great for head to head. But NHL08 does not have some basic options that have been common in video hockey games for years. This creates a few dilemmas offline including skill level purgatory, and inability to adjust for shorter games.

To be fair, I found myself spending more and more time adjusting XBOX games in '06 and '07 than I did back in '02. So it may be the games themselves more than the system?....or perhaps it is just me??....afterall, Mattel Football II had even more pics than NCAA '08 and I absolutely loved that game (hopefully the EA execs are pleased to know I give there game the nod over a game from 1982 that had red blips as players).

Meh, maybe I think too much.
Mildly dissapointed in an understatement. These games are all about the graphics. I understand AI may be harder to program on the new system for whatever reason, but at least give us the same amount of options now that we had on the PS2 or even PS1 for that matter. They can make any excuse they want to, but the lack of presentation and menu navigation especially on NCAA 08 is inexcusable. Any excuse they give for that besides shear laziness is just an empty excuse.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:46 PM   #3
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

I was ready to disagree with you when I saw the title of the thread....but man, your right.

I never touched a slider when I played sports games on X-Box.....sure there were nuisances with everygame but not nearly as much as next gen it seems.....

besides NBA 2k7 on 360 (which IMO, is just about the perfect basketball simulation) ill have to agree with you here
Old 12-26-2007, 03:52 PM   #4

OVR: 34

I remember playing Inside Drive and NHL Rivals and thinking those games had a lot going for them. Rivals introduced 3 on 3 online and I ate it up.

I do agree that, so far, XBOX > XBOX 360.

However, I love NBA 2K8. For me, it's the best hoops game ever.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:55 PM   #5
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

well i dunno about X-Box > X-Box 360 PERIOD.....but sports games, yes...

I play ESPN 2k5 like it just came out
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-26-2007, 08:03 PM   #6
Banned

Laettner32's Arena

OVR: 28

I still play NCAA 2004 for xbox, and 2008 is better on the original than the 360 IMO. But College Hoops 2K8 is really good, and Im putting more time on this game than any other 360 sports game ever.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:31 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 13

The next generation is only about better graphics and the other things that make the games fun to play is at best the same as last generation. This is really not a new generation of game consoles at all, we have only been lead to believe it is next generation. This is why Nintendo is doing so well at this time. They have the motion controls which has really set them apart from the competition and it is most next generation you will see this generation besides better graphics which are really not all that much better.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:45 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

I'm happy for the most part. I think NBA 2K8 is the best NBA game I've ever played. College Hoops is the best college basketball game I've ever played. NHL 08 is probably the best hockey game I've ever played. I'm pretty happy with NCAA Football, though it does have it's flaws. Madden I'm not that happy with, though I haven't played the patched version. But I wasn't happy with Madden on Xbox either. Only sports I think Xbox was better at was baseball and NFL Football, and that's because NFL 2K is gone and MVP is gone.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »