Home

IRONIC: Microsoft to use PS3 Home for meetings

This is a discussion on IRONIC: Microsoft to use PS3 Home for meetings within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-01-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
W* B*ck!!

Scoop 24's Arena

OVR: 24
IRONIC: Microsoft to use PS3 Home for meetings

Quote:
In a ironic twist of fate, one of the companies that might be testing out the PS3 Home is Microsoft. There is a project in progress with the goal of researching the viability of using the PS3 Home for holding business meetings in a virtual world in order to save time and money.

As it turns out the PS3 Home is considered to be one of the most advanced virtual environments out there. Business users can communicate via a variety of methods: Bluetooth headset, keyboard and USB headset. Users would also be able to design and develop the virtual office to meet the specific criteria of the business needs.

The PS3 Home also has multimedia capabilities that could be leveraged for business presentations such as slideshows, videos and audio sound bytes. Instead of investing in specific computer equipment and software, the only thing business users would require is a PS3 and Ethernet jack.

Apparently, Ernst & Young, a financial institute, will be the first company to test out the PS3 Home for virtual meetings. The project is headed up by Portsmouth University in an effort to cut costs and reduce travel time for corporate meetings.

Other companies participating in the project include Merrill Lynch and PS3 competitor, Microsoft. This indicates that Microsoft could potentially make some significant contributions to the success of the project.

However, such instances are not unheard of as most large businesses eventually interact with each other in one way or another. Sony manufactures PCs and laptops with Microsoft Windows. Microsoft also supports Blu-ray drives in Windows.

If the project is successful, it makes one wonder if we will see Microsoft offices crawling with PS3s. Who knows what the future holds? My company could take away my phone and hand me a PS3 instead. Wouldn’t that be something?
http://gamer.blorge.com/2008/12/31/m...-for-meetings/
MLB: New York Yankees
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: IRONIC: Microsoft to use PS3 Home for meetings

So Sony succeeded in making a better virtual meeting environment but is far behind in nearly every other aspect of their multi-media console?
Old 01-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

I think Microsoft should make a "home" type of program that uses players Gamerscore for money to buy Products for their house. Each players Neighborhood would consist of everyone or certain people on their friend list. It doesnt have to be a Second Life knockoff but it would be a cool idea to build your own house and reward people for playing games.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
All Star

RAZRr1275's Arena

OVR: 67

HA. Microsoft using Sony stuff
Old 01-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Honestly, it's smart. Microsoft is more than just the Xbox...It's like Apple releasing Safari for Windows...

Yeah, it's worthy of an initial chuckle, but overall it's a smart business decision.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Sony and MS are partners on a bunch of things, so I don't really see how this is shocking.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:17 PM   #7
AB>

Moses Shuttlesworth's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
Honestly, it's smart. Microsoft is more than just the Xbox...It's like Apple releasing Safari for Windows...

Yeah, it's worthy of an initial chuckle, but overall it's a smart business decision.
Exactly.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
All Star

RAZRr1275's Arena

OVR: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
Sony and MS are partners on a bunch of things, so I don't really see how this is shocking.
It's kind of odd because microsoft and sony each have exclusives for their consoles and they are using the others console. You'd think that they would agree to produce games for the others console if they were going to be partners on a lot of things.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »