Home

WHOSE WAITING FOR A PS3 PRICE DROP?

This is a discussion on WHOSE WAITING FOR A PS3 PRICE DROP? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #17
Go Irish

Rules's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: WHOSE WAITING FOR A PS3 PRICE DROP?

I've been checking Circuit City for PS3 deals but no luck. I still couldn't help but notice how everything is still over priced. I guess I will wait until I get a High Def tv since then it would be a great deal with blu ray.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:19 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV2k3
Noob-ish question:

When you mention backwards compatibility, does that mean a system that will also play PS2 games?

I'd much prefer a model that does that...
Not going to happen, Sony has stated that it's not going to come back into the new PS3's as it's not something most people want or use. I've read the PS3 will drop to $299 in March or April. I am going to pick up my 3rd one for the computer room when they go down in price.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 02-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #19
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/25/an...pen-very-soon/

Quote:

According to Janco analyst Mike Hickey, Sony could be set to announce a new, lower price point for the PS3 in the next few days. He says Sony needs to slash $100 off the price of the console to "effectively restart unit velocity at retail." He sees this cut taking effect in "April or by June at the latest." Without the cut, he predicts PS3 sales will continue to steadily decline.

There's also speculation regarding a potential Blu-ray-less PS3, which would "enable them to make the aforementioned hardware price reduction," though that sounds kind of ridiculous. Without all of that Blu-ray goodness, how are you supposed to play any software on the thing? It's not like people will go running out to buy a cheaper PS3 that will only play PS2, PSOne and PSN games, after all.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:19 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 31

Yeah, taking out the Blu-Ray would make zero sense. Anyone doing that speculation probably doesn't know much about the PS3. It's not loke the Blu-Ray is only used for movies.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #21
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfunk880
Yeah, taking out the Blu-Ray would make zero sense. Anyone doing that speculation probably doesn't know much about the PS3. It's not loke the Blu-Ray is only used for movies.
Not entirely. Taking the Bluray drive out isn't possible, but taking the bluray movie playback out is. It's an odd option for Sony to consider at this point, but if they're simply looking for any method to lower the console's price, they could be looking at offering the bluray movie playback as a purchase on PSN for those that want it.

The Wii has a DVD drive, and can actually play DVD movies if it were set up to, but Nintendo left it out to make the console cheaper without having to pay royalties on it. The original xbox also had a separate DVD movie playback pack that added the ability to watch movies if you bought it. The 360 allows people to use the DivX codec for movies, but you have to specifically download it. MS didn't want to pay royalties for the DivX codec on every 360 made.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2009, 06:50 PM   #22
Pro

OVR: 9

I was gonna wait on for the price drop, but with the show coming out i totally caved lol.

I bought an 80 gig used off of craigslist with 2 controllers, 2 blue ray movies, warhawk and a bluetooth headset all for $275, Canadian!
Old 02-25-2009, 07:09 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerk
I was gonna wait on for the price drop, but with the show coming out i totally caved lol.

I bought an 80 gig used off of craigslist with 2 controllers, 2 blue ray movies, warhawk and a bluetooth headset all for $275, Canadian!

Thats a great deal especially Canadian.

Did the person you buy it from "clean it up" take off their PSN name and account info?

Mine didn't but I'm glad cause he already activated NBA Live 365 through his login so I have to download the newest under his name and copy it to my profile. He also left his AMEX card info in the store but I don't need that type of Karma.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #24
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Not going to happen, Sony has stated that it's not going to come back into the new PS3's as it's not something most people want or use. I've read the PS3 will drop to $299 in March or April. I am going to pick up my 3rd one for the computer room when they go down in price.
3 PS3s?

Can I ask why you need more than 1?

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »