Home

*EXPERTS ONLY* Whats happening to my PS3

This is a discussion on *EXPERTS ONLY* Whats happening to my PS3 within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-30-2009, 02:36 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 38
*EXPERTS ONLY* Whats happening to my PS3

Hi Guys ,
The last few days my ps3 40 Gb not much info on the drive around 2-3 years old keeps freezing on my only 2 games NBA and NHL both EA .
NBA LIVE 10 keeps freezing in the 3rd quarter but in both games a little before they freeze the annoucers go silent but courts noise keeps going .

When this happens I can only get the disc out of the ps3 by unpluging it as now the controller doesnt respond.
A few times while loading I get (Error occurred During start 80010514)
The unit and game discs do seem a bit warm and i do hear a slight chugging noise in the drive.

I just unplugged and cleaned what little dust I found then I restarted it and it sounded great then in the load screen NHL 10 froze and when I attempted to eject the disc a fan went on blowing air out the back pretty hard for 15 seconds .

Its probably not this but alot of my problems happened after I DL the NHL 10 patch a few days ago and I never had any other issues .
Well thanks for any help in advance I also deleted the NBA live and NHL demos .

What should I try ? uninstall games ? or if that fan went on which it never did does that mean the drive is overheating ?

Last edited by dorismary; 10-30-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
MVP

Chizzypoof's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: *EXPERTS ONLY* Whats happening to my PS3

When you downloaded the NHL patch, did you have to download the new firmware 3.0 / 3.01?
Old 10-30-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizzypoof
When you downloaded the NHL patch, did you have to download the new firmware 3.0 / 3.01?
I think 01 but after the fan went on blowing like a hair dryer I now get a flashing red on the PS3 which means the unit may have overheated.
I just put a movie and its playing.

Last edited by dorismary; 10-30-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
MVP

Chizzypoof's Arena

If your PS3 was working fine with a firmware older than 3.0/3.01 then the new firmware may have messed up your blu-ray drive. There is speculation that the new firmware sped up the blu-ray drive, but some of the blu-rays on older PS3 can't handle it like the Slims. That's why even my old 60gb sounds louder than usual and seems to be exhausting the fan more.

This is the same thing that happened to my brothers when he upgraded to 3.0 and you are not alone:
http://boardsus.playstation.com/play....id=ps3updates
Same symptoms sound goes out, followed by freezing. Regular DVD's are fine but Blu-rays don't work.

Even though Sony is not saying 3.0 has caused this, there are too many incidents to not think other wise. The bad part is, most people have to send it in to have it repaired for a cost. If you can't afford the cost of repairs, the new firmware is a couple of weeks away. So you can download it to see if it fixes your problems.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

That also sounds like what was happening to mine before it yellow lighted. Either way you should back up your saves right now if you plan on getting another one.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizzypoof
If your PS3 was working fine with a firmware older than 3.0/3.01 then the new firmware may have messed up your blu-ray drive. There is speculation that the new firmware sped up the blu-ray drive, but some of the blu-rays on older PS3 can't handle it like the Slims. That's why even my old 60gb sounds louder than usual and seems to be exhausting the fan more.

This is the same thing that happened to my brothers when he upgraded to 3.0 and you are not alone:
http://boardsus.playstation.com/play....id=ps3updates
Same symptoms sound goes out, followed by freezing. Regular DVD's are fine but Blu-rays don't work.

Even though Sony is not saying 3.0 has caused this, there are too many incidents to not think other wise. The bad part is, most people have to send it in to have it repaired for a cost. If you can't afford the cost of repairs, the new firmware is a couple of weeks away. So you can download it to see if it fixes your problems.
How can I delete the old firmware before it wrecks my PS3, can it wreck it ? The fan never gets loud Only that one loud blast , please more info
Old 10-30-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
That also sounds like what was happening to mine before it yellow lighted. Either way you should back up your saves right now if you plan on getting another one.
Never had my fan make loud noise only would hear a low chugging of the disc being scanned .
Well since the loud exhaust blast out the back the game is playing great but for how long ?
Old 10-30-2009, 03:56 PM   #8
MVP

Chizzypoof's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorismary
How can I delete the old firmware before it wrecks my PS3, can it wreck it ? The fan never gets loud Only that one loud blast , please more info
There is no way to delete your firmware.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »