Home

Guilt, gaming and the "too many games" syndrome

This is a discussion on Guilt, gaming and the "too many games" syndrome within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-20-2009, 01:03 PM   #57
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: Guilt, gaming and the "too many games" syndrome

The beginning of next year is going to be really difficult then because there are some great A+ titles coming out - all in the first half of the year. I'm kinda glad there aren't anymore major releases I'm interested in; past couple weeks I got MW2, Assassin's Creed, and God of War Collection (which is essentially TWO great games because I'm trying to play them back to back). And I have a very short attention span - I still haven't finished Batman, Fallout 3, or GTA III - and have both the Lost and the Damned and the Gay Tony expansions to play through. Now that I think about it I never finished Devil May Cry 4... Or even worse, never finished Lost Planet - which I kept promising myself I'd get to. And Lost Planet 2 comes out in a few months... And I brought Zelda Wii at a buy2get1free at Gamestop, thinking I'd get around to playing it at some point.

This generation has definitely had it's share of great games, but having so many makes it difficult to finish any one because I just pop in what I have a flavor for at the moment. Good in some ways but overall probably bad. Need to be more disciplined.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 11-22-2009, 07:56 PM   #58
My Head Hurts

jnofx's Arena

OVR: 11

I too am suffering from this affliction....

All-Pro Football 2K8 - 3 games into a season

Borderlands - Hit level 30 and lost interest

Call of Duty 3 - Never beat, not worth trading in

Condemned - Never PLAYED, not worth trading in

Condemned 2 - Not playing until I play the above game, lol

The Club - Fun for about 30 minutes

Command & Conquer 3 - Not good without a mouse

Fable 2 - Played this for a lil while, dropped it, then forced myself to power through the rest recently, still left TONS of sidequests untouched

Fallout 3 - Still have intentions to play this more!

Fight Night Round 4 - Shouldn't have dropped right before Madden....

GRID - This was fun, just didn't last that long

Guitar Hero 2 - This just isn't as fun for me as it is for everybody else I guess..

Halo 3 - Still haven't beat it, probably never playing a Halo game again honestly. Sci-Fi ain't for me

Infinite Undiscovery - I love me some RPG's, but this one is mehh.... And the main character as such a Sally! Got about 5 hours logged here

Left 4 Dead - Can't possibly enjoy knowing 2 just dropped

Madden 10 - This still gets a little bit of spin

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 - Soooo repetitive!! I got to the point where you choose sides, then never played it again

NBA 2k10 - This is one I only play when my Bro is online, although I loved the "my player" for about a week

NCAA Football 10 - Bought on the release day and kept with intentions of uploading draft classes into Madden, until I found out you can't upload draft classes into Online franchises... But I still have it because I paid $60 for it

NHL 10 - This one I feel bad for... It's a lot of fun, but I don't really follow hockey, so I guess my sporting game time is on Madden or NBA, even though this is probably a better GAME than both of those titles

Ninja Gaiden 2 - I'm like 3 or 4 levels into this, haven't touched in like 9 months

Quake Wars - Bought 4 game bundle off Craigslist with this, never touched it

Rainbow Six Vegas 2 - Played the first level, came with my XBox

Saints Row 2 - Another title in the CL bundle I've never played

Silent Hill Homecoming - Bought used at Blockbuster for $9.99 because it was such a good deal, haven't even put it in the XBox

Sonics Ultimate Genesis Collection - A couple old-school games on this occupied me for about 30 minutes..

Spiderman: Web of Shadows - I gave this one about an hour of my time

Street Fighter 4 - Had some fun with this, bought it used, then a week later Fight Night dropped, and I haven't touched this since

Viva Pinata - Came with my Xbox, played it for about 30 minutes and got 300 Achievement points, and called it good

X-Men Origins: Wolverine - This was also bought used at Blockbuster for $12.00 when it's still $55.00 used at Gamestop, played it for awhile, and just lost interest....

The worst part of all this? These are all 360 titles, but I got Modern Warfare 2 on PS3 and haven't turned my 360 on since. Hey, at least I'm stimulating the economy. If my little brother switches from 360 to PS3, I'm gonna bundle all of these games with my Elite and sell everything (or just trade-in for PS3 gear). I do feel kinda lame for not playing NHL, and Borderlands mostly, considering how good both of those games are.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:00 PM   #59
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

wow that's courageous to make that list, i fear mine would be bigger though. i'm outright embarrassed by some of my choices.

one word of advice though - try playing rainbow six vegas 2 online in co-op terrorist hunt, its a freakin adrenaline rush man!!

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 11-22-2009, 10:04 PM   #60
Banned

OVR: 38

I normally only buy or play one game at a time then I sell them when they are still worth something if I dont like them .

This year I bought Mlb the show 09 in April didnt like the forced AI cpu boost so I sold that in June and bought LOWM finished it loved it , sold it and bought FNR4 liked it but no time and will rebuy cheap after new year , THEN bATMAN AA loved it finished it and then sold and got NHL 10 and will keep till mlb the show 10 in april .
i also bought NBA Live didnt care for it sold it and got NBA 2K10 and loved it so that will take me thru winter .
I only have current games I just dont understand why someone would keep Madden 06 when there are so many other games.
Like this year I normally only buy sports games but Batman AA was the best game I ever played ....
I have a little trick I use all legit but I dont lose a dime and most of the time I make money on the games .
Old 11-22-2009, 11:48 PM   #61
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

I don't know how you can only play one game at a time. That gets boring as hell.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2009, 12:00 AM   #62
Banned

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
I don't know how you can only play one game at a time. That gets boring as hell.
Probably my personality but I actually have 2 right now but never more than that and yeah its better to switch off games especially when there sports .
Old 11-23-2009, 12:26 AM   #63
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

I, too, am guilty of gaming ADD currently. I used to only buy 2-3 games a year but this year I've gone well above that.

Since getting another PS2, I've gone back and picked up a ton of cheap used titles and then for the 360, I've bought Madden, NHL, UFC, Legends of Wrestlemania and NBA Live all new this year.

I'm tempted to get NCAA Basketball, but am going to hold out until after Christmas.

Starting in 2010, I'm going back to buying 2-3 games and I might get less then that as I have a good 10-12 games between the 2 consoles to keep me busy.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 11-23-2009, 12:53 AM   #64
My Head Hurts

jnofx's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
wow that's courageous to make that list, i fear mine would be bigger though. i'm outright embarrassed by some of my choices.

one word of advice though - try playing rainbow six vegas 2 online in co-op terrorist hunt, its a freakin adrenaline rush man!!
Lol... Well, I bought my 360 used in a bundle on craigslist, and it came with Rainbow Six, Viva Pinata, Halo 3, and a couple other games that I traded in. I went out and got Madden 09 and NBA 2K to play with my roomie, and then got others. But at some point I just decided that I didn't want to get a $9.00 credit on something I paid $60.00 for, hence the 30 or so games on my shelf that go neglected. I'm also guilty of going to the game store and seeing something that I kind of wanted to check out for cheap. Spiderman: Web of Shadows is a perfect example. I went to the store and got Fight Night Round 4 (before it was released, first time I was ever able to do that!) And saw Spiderman there for what I thought was pretty cheap, and figured I'd scoop that too. I should have known that I wouldn't ever play it, lol. I'm messed up because I'm buying games because they are cheap, not because I really want to play them. The worst thing is when theres one you're really looking forward to, and it just turns out to be not as good as you thought *cough*Ultimate Alliance 2*cough*

Anyway, I got an ad on Craigslist trying to trade these for PS3 titles... If anybody is interested, get at me.

And as far as your above suggestion, I'm sure it is fun, but now I got Modern Warfare 2, so obviously it gets my FPS time, lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »