Home

Dismantling an XBox 360 to Repair the DVD Player

This is a discussion on Dismantling an XBox 360 to Repair the DVD Player within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-22-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Question Dismantling an XBox 360 to Repair the DVD Player

Looks like my DVD player's laser has gone out. After taking the 360 apart to clean it, and putting it back together, it's still not working. Looks like the DVD player is only $25 and M$ wants $100 to fix it (greedy !@#$%#). Has anyone here dismantled their XBox 360 / DVD Player in order to fix the laser?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Dismantling an XBox 360 to Repair the DVD Player

I did this repair several months ago. It is quite simple. I replaced the entire DVD drive. One step you need to do is take the old card out of the DVD player and switch it with the new one in the new DVD player. This allows you to not have to have it "flashed." Mine has worked like new ever since. There are step by step videos on YouTube.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Cleaning the laser didn't work. Looks like I'm going to have to go the replacement route this time. New DVD player is roughly $30 for shipping throw in the the $10 for the DVD Cleaner kit which didn't work and that's still only $40, and BEST of all it doesn't go to Microsoft. What's truly egregious about this is that at $99 they are basically charging you $70 for what is going to be roughly a 20 to 30 minute fix (tops). So they are making money off of repairing the broke arse consoles that they put on in the first place. There REALLY needs to be a class action lawsuit against them. They are intentionally putting out consoles they know will fail to this very day. It's down right evil.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

It is a crappy thing. But you need to remember, from a business point of view, they need to pay a tech to fix the thing, overhead, etc. We are doing it for $0 labor. We still win in the end by completing the repair ourselves.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:49 AM   #5
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

I ended up taking my XBox 360 apart. You can view the picks here if interested --> http://www.operationsports.com/Valda...g-my-xbox-360/
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2010, 02:08 AM   #6
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
There REALLY needs to be a class action lawsuit against them. They are intentionally putting out consoles they know will fail to this very day. It's down right evil.
lol, MS's master plan revealed. They eat billions of dollars in losses so they can charge to repair their intentionally faulty consoles. Sounds like a solid case to me...

I've had many 360's die, and my latest one fell victim to a dead DVD drive as well. I'll just sell it off and wait out the slim.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
lol, MS's master plan revealed. They eat billions of dollars in losses so they can charge to repair their intentionally faulty consoles. Sounds like a solid case to me...

I've had many 360's die, and my latest one fell victim to a dead DVD drive as well. I'll just sell it off and wait out the slim.
Console makers make their money off licensing fees from the sales of games for their consoles. M$'s goal was to gain market share and in order to achieve that goal they knew they needed to release first. They released the 360 console knowing they had the high failure rates, that's already been documented. So yes, it was most definitely part of their business plan.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:04 AM   #8
So long to a Legend.

ANDROMADA 1's Arena

OVR: 65

If the dvd drive dies do you get an error msg? Mine just kinda froze a couple times then made a wierd noise and stopped working. No red rings though. If i get another 360 it will be number 5.

Any good suggestions out there, besides the obvious.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »