Home

IGN UK ranks top 25 consoles of all-time

This is a discussion on IGN UK ranks top 25 consoles of all-time within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-31-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49
IGN UK ranks top 25 consoles of all-time

Pretty good list.

http://uk.ign.com/top-25-consoles/6.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: IGN UK ranks top 25 consoles of all-time

Yeah, I agree that their list is pretty solid. Even though I'm old enough to have played the Atari 2600 when it was new, I wouldn't put it in the top 10.

My top five would be:

1. PS2

2. PS1

3. Xbox 360

4. Sega Genesis

5. SNES

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

My top 10

1. NES

2. Atari 7800

3. XBox 360

4. Genesis

5. Nintendo 64

6. DreamCast

7. PlayStation 1

8. XBox

9. Atari 2600

10. PS2

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Last edited by ExtremeGamer; 07-31-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:17 PM   #4

OVR: 34

It's a comprehensive list, but I think the Odyssey should not be 25th. You have the Atari Jaguar in front of the pioneering console that is the Magnavox Odyssey? That's odd to me, but I tend to be sentimental and that would sway a different perspective on my part.

I would put the Atari 2600 at number one. While it wasn't the first console, it did put video game consoles on the map. To me, the NES was a strong successor to the 2600. I'm glad the Dreamcast made the top 10.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
Pro

Aces15's Arena

OVR: 13

Well it looks like the list was made over a year ago, which makes me wonder why they would include the current generation of consoles at that point in their cycles?

I don't think we could really say how good this generation was until we have a few years to look back on it, like the PS2 for example.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

NES being #1 is a no brainer. It's amazing how well built the console was/is. I have one that still works nearly 20 years later--just have to blow on the games every now and then.

1. NES
2. Dreamcast
3. PS2
4. N64
5. Sega Genesis
6. PS3
7. SNES
8. Xbox
9. PS1
10. 360 (would be a lot higher if not for the hardware issues)

Last edited by GAMEC0CK2002; 07-31-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

My top 5:

1. NES

2. 360

3. PS1

4. N64

5. Xbox

Old 07-31-2010, 05:03 PM   #8
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Thanks to the IGN UK ranking of the top 25 videogame systems, it has inspired me to do the same. This is my ranking list of systems that I have owned over the years. Some of these systems I had a hard time ranking. NES is #1 in my book and the first system that I really owned. I will never forget playing Super Mario Brothers at Pizza Hut and then a year later getting the NES for Christmas with Super Mario Brothers packed in with the console. All the rest before it I played a lot at friends or my cousins homes.

I had a hard time ranking the PS2, Dreamcast, and Xbox in spots 2-3. The DC and Xbox were systems that I always felt were ahead of their time......and met their untimely death a bit too soon. For the short period of time that both were around, they made some huge strides. At this time, I hated Sony with a passion for killing the DC and for holding back the original Xbox from ever hitting its peak due to its untapped potential.

The SNES was such a great system at the time and ushered some of the best games I had ever played. Who can ever forget the Super FX chip gimmick.....lol! Zelda alone was worth owning an SNES. Then 6-7 was a bit difficult too as the 360 has done a lot for gaming except for the RROD/e74 failures and I had a ton of fun owning a Playstation which I had so much fun gaming during that period. The features and XBL alone w/ Gears of War and Crackdown franchises notched the 360 a bit above in spot #6. The original Playstation had a nice mix of 2D and 3D games also spawning off a lot of great franchises and exclusives, yet also brining a CD based gaming system to the mainstream audience.

The 2600 was one of the first gaming consoles besides Pong that I played and fell in love with gaming ever since the day that I played Pitfall. Atari didn’t play their cards right and ended up having the same fate that SEGA would many years later in the hardware business. My #9 and 10 are the PS3 and N64 which are great systems in their own right. The PS3 has not had the luxury of being a console leader with this latest generation of gaming and has been playing catch-up. What keeps the PS3 at being good in my opinion is the exclusives, concept of trophies, and the well built hardware. With time this console can either fall or climb in the rankings.

The N64 took platform gaming up a notch without sacrificing much in the quality department. Both Mario and Zelda helped usher the 3D platform era with style which only the Ratchet and Mario Galaxy games have come close to replicating.

1. NES
2. PlayStation 2
3. Dreamcast
4. Xbox
5. SNES
6. Xbox 360
7. PlayStation
8. Atari 2600
9. PlayStation 3
10. Nintendo 64
11. Nintendo Wii
12. TurboGrafx-16