Home

Are Sony And Microsoft Teaming UP? Sony-Microsoft.com

This is a discussion on Are Sony And Microsoft Teaming UP? Sony-Microsoft.com within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Are Sony And Microsoft Teaming UP? Sony-Microsoft.com

Too much money involved to have them merge, Yall nuts?
Old 07-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #18
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
No doubt. MS does it all the time and fails too. They tried to parallel Itunes with Zune and it didn't compete. Google tried to enter the social media craze with Google Wave and that flopped. Now they have G+.

But in respect to MS, they have long been in the gaming market with PCs. I think it was more of a branch out for them than it was someone like Google heading down that road. but, far be it from me or anyone else to stop someone or some company from experimenting in something new. Sometimes though the company that sees another company being successful enters in for themselves without true focus on what they are embracing, and that results in low quality.
I think it is more that MSFT had money to burn, thus they can take the huge hit and losses that the entire last gen was to them, and the good portion of this gen.

It is about being in every living room, and having the set top box they were supposed to team up with Sony on before the PS2 with the Web TV thing. It fell through, so they had to do something to get into that arena. Gaming is most logical since it was Sony's focus as well. It was an admitted race to have the set top box in everyone's home. So maybe they will play nice again, thus why both are so quiet on their next gen offerings... who knows. This will reveal itself soon.

MSFT has a long history of not playing nice for Windows and gaming BTW

The more the better though, but I am very uninterested with Apple, due to the lock-down mentality they have. Google would be more fitting with Sony since they have such a good relationship already.

Last edited by EnigmaNemesis; 07-18-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #19

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
I think it is more that MSFT had money to burn, thus they can take the huge hit and losses that the entire last gen was to them, and the good portion of this gen.

It is about being in every living room, and having the set top box they were supposed to team up with Sony on before the PS2 with the Web TV thing. It fell through, so they had to do something to get into that arena. Gaming is most logical since it was Sony's focus as well. It was an admitted race to have the set top box in everyone's home. So maybe they will play nice again, thus why both are so quiet on their next gen offerings... who knows. This will reveal itself soon.

MSFT has a long history of not playing nice for Windows and gaming BTW

The more the better though, but I am very uninterested with Apple, due to the lock-down mentality they have. Google would be more fitting with Sony since they have such a good relationship already.
I don't see it as them having money to burn so they just got into it. Even with their involvement with the Dreamcast, MS was very intentional from the beginning. That's not to say Apple or Google wouldn't be; although, with how Apple has shaped up, I would agree. I can't see them being of any value in the console market.

I'm with various alternatives as you said. I just want to see it taken seriously, not just "to be expected of them."
Old 07-18-2011, 03:37 PM   #20
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
I don't see it as them having money to burn so they just got into it. Even with their involvement with the Dreamcast, MS was very intentional from the beginning. That's not to say Apple or Google wouldn't be; although, with how Apple has shaped up, I would agree. I can't see them being of any value in the console market.

I'm with various alternatives as you said. I just want to see it taken seriously, not just "to be expected of them."
I know what you mean... I am not saying that the reason MSFT did it because they had money to burn, they did it because the Web TV deal for the "set top box" M.O. fell through with Sony. They seen the success of Sony going the gaming console route in order to establish and achieve that goal. Thus they jumped in that route as well.

I meant money to burn as in they can afford to take the risk, take the huge losses, just to get it in as many homes as possible compared to most other companies that are "rumored" to get into that arena.

And how these consoles now have Netflix, cable in some countries, etc... it was the goal of both companies the whole time. More so than gaming.

They didn't do it because they like gaming and wanted to get us games, they did it to be in everyone's living room with media licensing and control. Gaming is the best way to get that goal, and even better when you mainstream it like Sony did with the PSOne/2.

Bill Gates has gone on record several times stating he doesn't care about video games (before they made the XBox), and wants MSFT to be in "everyone's living room" to phase out the PC. A box everyone can buy and do things on... and licensing and content control. Equals more money, and enslaving the masses glued to the tube, haha.

So I would not be too shocked if they worked out another deal with Sony, for such a goal.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #21

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
I know what you mean... I am not saying that the reason MSFT did it because they had money to burn, they did it because the Web TV deal for the "set top box" M.O. fell through with Sony. They seen the success of Sony going the gaming console route in order to establish and achieve that goal. Thus they jumped in that route as well.

I meant money to burn as in they can afford to take the risk, take the huge losses, just to get it in as many homes as possible compared to most other companies that are "rumored" to get into that arena.

And how these consoles now have Netflix, cable in some countries, etc... it was the goal of both companies the whole time. More so than gaming.

They didn't do it because they like gaming and wanted to get us games, they did it to be in everyone's living room with media licensing and control. Gaming is the best way to get that goal, and even better when you mainstream it like Sony did with the PSOne/2.

Bill Gates has gone on record several times stating he doesn't care about video games (before they made the XBox), and wants MSFT to be in "everyone's living room" to phase out the PC. A box everyone can buy and do things on... and licensing and content control. Equals more money, and enslaving the masses glued to the tube, haha.

So I would not be too shocked if they worked out another deal with Sony, for such a goal.
ahh..capitalism and globalization.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #22
MVP

myghty's Arena

OVR: 31

I cant wait for my Super Gaming Machine! PS4...from Microsoft.

PS5/PSN: myghty
Old 07-18-2011, 05:00 PM   #23
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

So they'll break twice as much and get fixed half as much. No thanks.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 5

This would be a terrible idea. Competition breeds innovation and keeps costs competitive to reach the consumer. Unless you really want to pay $700 for an average console because it's your only option to play AAA titles, then you should be against this.

Monopolies = crappy options for the consumer. Madden, anyone? How about 2K baseball for 360 (although this year it is actually a good game)? This won't effect the price or quality of games (in a positive way) in the long run because both companies will have you by the junk and they'll know it. Just ask Netflix subscribers about monopolized pricing schemes.

If you think the customer service for the gaming consoles stinks now, just wait until they need to put out less effort to gain your business.

Simple equation: Less options = higher prices, less quality, and more frustration for the consumer.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »