Home

XBL vs PSN: A True Comparison

This is a discussion on XBL vs PSN: A True Comparison within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #17
MVP

MrChainsaw's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: XBL vs PSN: A True Comparison

For me it was the PS3 graphics that ultimately did it for me. Most, if not all of the 3rd party sports game I would buy (Madden, NCAA, NBA 2K) were full of jaggies and looked pretty crappy compared to their 360 counterpart. Yes, the free online was a nice perk but I don't mind shelling out 50 bucks a year for what is in my opinion a much better online experience with xbox live. Plus xbox comes with a headset included whereas you have to buy one for PS3.

Edit: Also forgot to mention the online play in The Show is complete and utter garbage. This game was pretty much the only reason I had a PS3 to begin with.

PSN: FREExBEER
Old 06-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #18
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I have no frame of reference, but isn't the selection of original games better on XBLA compared to PSN? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but one particular thing I can think of is that I don't think Super Meat Boy or Minecraft are on PSN.

Also worth mentioning is that PSN has no equivalent to XBOX Live Indie Games, so if you want to make and sell your own PSN game, you absolutely cannot do that, whereas XBL allows you to do so with the XNA Framework.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:17 AM   #19
Come get some!

Candyman5's Arena

OVR: 43

The only thing I would change would be the security thing. Like others have said, PSN had a major breach and wasnt online for weeks. I dont think that ever has happened on the 360 side of things.

I would like to add that the XBLA is better than PSNA IMO.

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:37844096

Teams:
NCAA/PRO Football - Miami Hurricanes/Minnesota Vikings
NCAA/PRO Basketball - Syracuse Orange/NJ Nets
NCAA/PRO Baseball - Miami Hurricanes/NY Yankees
Old 06-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #20
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I have no frame of reference, but isn't the selection of original games better on XBLA compared to PSN? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but one particular thing I can think of is that I don't think Super Meat Boy or Minecraft are on PSN.

Also worth mentioning is that PSN has no equivalent to XBOX Live Indie Games, so if you want to make and sell your own PSN game, you absolutely cannot do that, whereas XBL allows you to do so with the XNA Framework.
well to be fair, the majority of XBL indie games are horrible games made by horrible people. There's certainly some gems in there, but most seem like some form of awful zombie game, awful avatar game, awful minecraft ripoff, or awful crappy flash game.

Even some of the notable titles fail to make much money, or even at all. MS buried the section of the games market and has always failed to shine any light on it to the average user. You pretty much have to already know an indie game is coming out to know what's coming out.

Last edited by bkfount; 06-25-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #21
MVP

Pete1210's Arena

OVR: 30

The only difference for me is PSN downloads a little slower than XBL. Plus there is the extra step of installing after the download. Not a big deal, really.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #22
Crunchy

Mabster's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
I also think the entire first party section is irrelevant. Exclusives would have been a better think to judge...
Exclusives has nothing to do with the online aspect of each console though and that's what this article is comparing.

I rolled my eyes when they based the whole multiplayer category solely on CoD.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:36 AM   #23
Hall Of Fame

AUChase's Arena

OVR: 35

Yeah, I disagree strongly with the multiplayer part of the article.

I think that should be considered a "toss up".. I don't see how one console could be considered a better multiplayer experience because of some COD map packs coming out early. That's like me saying the PS3 is superior in that aspect, because Battlefield releases their content to the PS3 first..
I don't think that's keeping the 360 gamers from enjoying the game and their online experience.

A prime example: We have a strong Battlefield 3 community on OS for the PS3 and it's one hell of an experience. I have plenty of fun playing online with OSers and not having the cross-game party chat isn't enough of an inconvenience to change that. We all talk and communicate just fine through the game. When I was playing my 360 more, I rarely even used it.

I can see how some would feel that way, though. The party chat is a nice feature.. I just don't have much of a use for it.

I do agree about the social aspect. XBOX has more apps to offer. I would love to have ESPN3 on my PS3.

Overall, it's a pretty decent article and we have to take into account that it's very opinion based, much like my own post here..

I'm a Sony fanboy, so needless to say I prefer PSN, but I recognize the things that the 360 does better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »