Home

PlayStation 4 Discussion

This is a discussion on PlayStation 4 Discussion within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #65
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: PlayStation 4 Discussion

I think nowadays it is common practice for companies to patent every idea that comes to mind. I am not too worried about this because both console makers would have to do it for it to work. Not unless they did it to protect only their own studio productions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #66
Hall Of Fame

42's Arena

OVR: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
This would ruin GameStop, their entire business model is buying/selling used games so this tech could blow up their company. Problem with all of this is that Sony and Microsoft need GameStop, GameStops are far and away the easiest way to pick up a video game right now. I could see game publishers allowing GameStop to still sell used copies but still allowing the publishers to get a piece of the pie.

Without GameStop, we would live in a world where we might actually have to use some effort searching for under the radar games, unacceptable!

Rumors of PS4 Restricting Used Games Send GameStop Stock Tumbling

Quote:
GameStop's stock price closed lower by $1.30—a five percent loss overall—after word this morning that Sony had applied for a patent on technology that could restrict how used games are played on its next console.

Used games are, of course, a cornerstone of the GameStop customer experience, whether trading them in for store credit toward other purchases or buying older releases for less than full price. The news was enough for the gaming industry analyst Michael Pachter of Wedbush Securities to send a note to investors that, while acknowledging the patent filing, downplayed the idea Sony's next console would outright prohibit used or previously played games.

"Sony benefits little from a unilateral decision to block games," he wrote. "The company's first party software sales represent less than 10 percent of overall sales on its consoles, and it is unlikely that blocking used games would result in a lift of more than 10 percent in new game sales. That means that Sony's sales would rise only marginally if the PS4 blocked used games."

Moreover, "Sony would be materially hurt if its console blocked used games and competitor consoles from Microsoft and Nintendo did not," Pachter said. He maintained confidence in GameStop, rating it at "outperform" and setting a 12-month share price target of $33 for it. The stock currently sits at $24.36 a share; it opened the day at $25.44 and began falling at the time the Sony news spread.

Pachter says a "more rational view" is that the technology Sony has is meant to provide individual publishers with the means of blocking used games from the console, if they so choose. "Should a publisher be reckless enough to risk the wrath of its customers, Sony's ID matching technology would allow that publisher to create terms of use that are similar to a software license, rather than to a disc sale," he said. "We do not believe that either Sony or any publishers are currently foolhardy enough to take such a risk.

"The news has negatively impacted GameStop shares, and we think the reaction is overblown," he added. Four other analysts, including Arvind Bhatia of Sterne Agee, sounded similar notes in memos to investors.

Kotaku reached out to GameStop for a comment on the news but did not receive one as of publication time. In a call to investors last March, GameStop's CEO Paul Raines said "We think it's unlikely that there would be that next-gen console [that blocks used games] because the model simply hasn't been proven that works."

Almost a year ago, Microsoft was rumored to be considering similar anti-used game measures in its next console, codenamed Durango. Those whispers were enough to send GameStop's share price on a similar, if more gradual slide, losing $1.73 from its $25 price in a week. The stock did rebound, but didn't surpass a $25 share price again until November.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #67
Pro

WildFan22's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I think nowadays it is common practice for companies to patent every idea that comes to mind. I am not too worried about this because both console makers would have to do it for it to work. Not unless they did it to protect only their own studio productions.
I'm just speculating for fun but from a PR standpoint it seems like they've been prepping us for this for a while. They also could be testing the publics reaction by making this public in early January (well before E3). If it's something they actually implement you would think they would present it as a benefit to gamers. Position it is as though it will reduce the cost of PS4 games and increase the profits for developers.

Knowing Sony they will implement it, raise the prices, and follow up with silence.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #68
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

As I stated in the 720 thread, I doubt Sony does this unless it is a cross industry standard where MSFT does it too. If they thought this gen was rough, they will literally kill their business by doing this.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #69
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

well I don't know what to think about that. If these games in the future are ties to machine then I would imagine all gamestops will be out of business.

Also long thinking about the future consoles, I'm only going Sony this time around I just love my sony products better and there games. My son only plays the xbox 360 anyway. I play my Vita the most and when I do game on my consoles its only been on the PS3, crap my HDD is filler with all my digital downloads. I cant wait til disks are eliminated , this will just make me more proud of my collection.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 01-05-2013, 12:57 AM   #70
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31

All I know is my trophies better transfer over to the PS4.
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Old 01-05-2013, 07:22 AM   #71
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Yeah but it wouldn't suprise me if Sony did it. Either way I have only used the PS3 for BR player for the most part for a while now so after a year or so when/if I decide to grab a PS4 things should all be sorted out.

Between the GS and Gamefly companies I don't think we'll ever see it but you never know.
If consoles go the way of digital only I'll simply go all PC.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #72
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Yeah but it wouldn't suprise me if Sony did it. Either way I have only used the PS3 for BR player for the most part for a while now so after a year or so when/if I decide to grab a PS4 things should all be sorted out.

Between the GS and Gamefly companies I don't think we'll ever see it but you never know.
If consoles go the way of digital only I'll simply go all PC.
You can go all pc, but in the end I bet you wont be 100% happy all pc, cause there will many games juts like now that won't be on PC that are only on consoles.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »