Home

Owners of both PS4 and Xbox One: Pros and Cons

This is a discussion on Owners of both PS4 and Xbox One: Pros and Cons within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?
Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #505

m1ke_nyc's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Owners of both PS4 and Xbox One: Pros and Cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveeee
simple question for those that have both and played both online.... and some of the same games online on both.. and imagine that all your friends are on both systems playing those online games with you..

which service would you rather pay to play for... Xbox Live or PS+?
They both have held up pretty well but I would rather pay for live simply because they have a track record of holding up well. Also they constantly update things. Its only been just under a year but the Xbox One has evolved so much from its release.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2014, 03:14 AM   #506
MVP

Artman22's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial23
Live for me.

In fact for me this is how it goes. If it's simply a SP game only, and nothing else, like Skyrim would be, or Fallout, I'll go PS4 for sure, but anything that I play online with friends along with SP, I'll do Live every time. Live has always been way better IMO.

Same here. Live for me too and live doesn't go down for maintenance or other reasons like psn which seems like it happens frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #507
Banned

steveeee's Arena

OVR: 9

hey thanks guys for your responses. I'm kind of indecisive to be honest but I am going to finally have to make a decision and pick up one of the new consoles up with the new FIFA here. I rarely ever play any video game offline ever anymore.. and I also mainly use my PS3 just for netflix and other things at the moment. I do not game a lot these days.. For example, last year I only bought BF, FIFA, NHL, and PES.. and PES is the only game I actually used offline really. I use to have xbox 360 as well and I was impressed with the online back then and the interface. I'm sure when I get a new console I will be more interested in buying a few more games though than normal. I'm just not a hardcore gamer I guess is all and really the game has to have good online to keep me interested and playing it. Online gaming is the most important thing to me.

I use Skype with friends and co workers a lot and features like that are making me think the Xbox one are best for me because I already will admit I use my one any only console at the moment (PS3) more as a media device these days any ways.

any ways, thanks for the comments. it seems I can't go wrong but just trying to figure out which one is best for me. I hate trying to decide on one. lol

Last edited by steveeee; 09-18-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #508
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveeee
hey thanks guys for your responses. I'm kind of indecisive to be honest but I am going to finally have to make a decision and pick up one of the new consoles up with the new FIFA here. I rarely ever play any video game offline ever anymore.. and I also mainly use my PS3 just for netflix and other things at the moment. I do not game a lot these days.. For example, last year I only bought BF, FIFA, NHL, and PES.. and PES is the only game I actually used offline really. I use to have xbox 360 as well and I was impressed with the online back then and the interface. I'm sure when I get a new console I will be more interested in buying a few more games though than normal. I'm just not a hardcore gamer I guess is all and really the game has to have good online to keep me interested and playing it. Online gaming is the most important thing to me.

I use Skype with friends and co workers a lot and features like that are making me think the Xbox one are best for me because I already will admit I use my one any only console at the moment (PS3) more as a media device these days any ways.

any ways, thanks for the comments. it seems I can't go wrong but just trying to figure out which one is best for me.
We use skype to talk to my wife's sisters in Ohio and she loves it. This way they can see the baby and we see them on a huge tv.

If it was pure gaming I'd go PS4, but my wife and I love the TV features and Kinect (great when you have a 7 month old son), and we use them a lot as media type machines vs. gaming.

I ended up getting a 2nd for my bedroom so I could play games up there too, as well as controlling tv with voice and have all the nice streaming options.

The updates it gets are great too, the console has grown over a year like crazy!

Like I said though, pure gaming PS4 is better performing, but IMO if you like the media and tv stuff the Xbox One has a lot of unique and great options. I also don't feel you'd notice graphical performance differences unless you have the 2 right next to each other, at least I know I won't....just my opinion there.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #509
Banned

OVR: 0

Since I use my consoles to stream Netflix, Amazon and other stuff, as well as watch DVDs and Blu-Rays, there is no way I could only own a PS4. The notion of using a controller instead of my Harmony remote to navigate the UIs, as well as pause, play, and mute, seems ludicrous. My wife would have a fit if I were to tell her to pick up a controller to watch this stuff.

Basically, the XB1 is a perfect console to always be there, and the PS4 is for the exclusives Sony puts out.

Right now, Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive and the MCC are going to make for attractive exclusives to sell consoles this holiday season. Destiny just seems to have made me want to play Halo online, and the MCC is going to be a such a great assortment of maps and gameplay. And getting all four games in one package is also the right way to do a next gen version of last gen gaming.

Nobody is going to buy a PS4 and not enjoy their purchase. But right now, if there was better awareness about what the XB1 has become and what they are doing, I would think that it is the easy choice for everyone except people that want to site resolutions and frame rates in their posts. My multi platform games on the XB1 have been fantastic.

I'm kind of surprised when I read that someone is finally, just now, jumping into the next gen console and picked a PS4. But Microsoft really did screw up their ability to get their message out with a crazy bad launch, and it still seem to be hurting them.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:26 PM   #510
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hester
Since I use my consoles to stream Netflix, Amazon and other stuff, as well as watch DVDs and Blu-Rays, there is no way I could only own a PS4. The notion of using a controller instead of my Harmony remote to navigate the UIs, as well as pause, play, and mute, seems ludicrous. My wife would have a fit if I were to tell her to pick up a controller to watch this stuff.

Basically, the XB1 is a perfect console to always be there, and the PS4 is for the exclusives Sony puts out.

Right now, Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive and the MCC are going to make for attractive exclusives to sell consoles this holiday season. Destiny just seems to have made me want to play Halo online, and the MCC is going to be a such a great assortment of maps and gameplay. And getting all four games in one package is also the right way to do a next gen version of last gen gaming.

Nobody is going to buy a PS4 and not enjoy their purchase. But right now, if there was better awareness about what the XB1 has become and what they are doing, I would think that it is the easy choice for everyone except people that want to site resolutions and frame rates in their posts. My multi platform games on the XB1 have been fantastic.

I'm kind of surprised when I read that someone is finally, just now, jumping into the next gen console and picked a PS4. But Microsoft really did screw up their ability to get their message out with a crazy bad launch, and it still seem to be hurting them.
Responses like this one is one of the reasons why I haven't purchased an Xbox One yet. When I read posts with people saying that they use their $500 video game console to watch Netflix, Amazon, etc. and to use as a "multimedia" device, it saddens me because im a gamer, period.

When im spending $400 on a video game console like I did with PS4 (which is sitting there collecting dust until Mordor comes out), it's because I want to play the next generation of games. Not do stuff that I can do on my laptop. If it wasn't for third party games, both consoles would be a total and complete waste of a purchase. These last four months of 2014 is where both consoles are finally picking up momentum in regards to just games.

Xbox One currently has ONLY ONE GAME that I want to play - Ryse: Son of Rome. Hoping that by the time Quantum Break comes out, there will be at least one or two more games in addition to the two just previously mentioned games that I want to play.

For the exclusives on Xbox One, Forza, Sunset Overdrive and Halo: MCC are great unless you're someone like me who has no interest in any of them. I do think that Halo: MCC will increase the console's sales to around 7 million or higher by the time the year ends. But for me, no thanks. While I agree that Halo: MCC is the best way to do an upgraded port/collection of previous gen games, in the end, like The Last Of Us Remastered, it's nothing more than a money grab and meant for those who didn't already play the game(s) last gen.

2014 will be known as the "remastered", "collections" and "definitive editions" year of games. This is not what next gen should be about. It should be about new games, new IP's and new sequels that aren't cross-gen. Instead, in general, until later this year, there's no reason to buy any console and to be honest, I should have kept my PlayStation 3 and waited until 2015 to buy a PlayStation 4 (or Xbox One for that matter) since that's the year we're finally getting some true next gen games.

As for you being surprised when people pick PS4 over Xbox One, im surprised that people are surprised by that. Neither console is worth buying/owning at the moment in my opinion unless you want to play those "remastered", "collections" and "definitive editions" games that you've most likely already played. Only positive for me is that when the games for PS4 that I want to play come out later this year and in 2015, I don't have to worry about buying the console as I already have it but looking over Xbox One, if you subtract all the "multi-media" aspects of the console, would you still have purchased it?

To me, reading most people's responses about why they bought Xbox One mostly seem to revolve around Kinect and talking to their $500 console as opposed to playing games. I would hate to see what the sales for Xbox One would be if it wasn't a "multi-media" console. Most people who purchased a PS4 is because they were pissed off at Microsoft from last year's Xbox One debut and E3 conference, it was $100 cheaper, didn't force you to have Kinect and for the eventual exclusives.

All of which applies to me as well. The only true positive I see right now for Xbox One is the man in charge - Phil Spencer. Unlike all the previous goofs, I actually have confidence in this guy until proven otherwise. Don't agree with the Mojang purchase whatsoever but I seriously doubt that Spencer had any choice in the matter.

On a related side note, as long as you're enjoying the Xbox One, that's all that matters. I'm an old school gamer and while the industry makes a lot more money than it used to, that it's more about the "multi-media" and "entertainment" aspects where as the games themselves should be "the entertainment" and that just aggravates and frustrates me to no end.

Last edited by daniel77733; 09-20-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:59 PM   #511
Banned

I don't think you are really that much of a gamer. I mean, I have 15 games on the XB1. I like Forza 5, Ryse, Powerstar Golf, and a host of others. Next gen sports gaming is finally arriving with the Madden 15, FIFA 15, and even NHL 15 has great next gen gameplay, even if they didn't have time to finish the game and include more modes.

I can't think of a more shallow person than someone that just games, but doesn't watch TV and movies, listen to music, and read books. I mean, that's cool, but it kind of lame. I specifically mentioned that I wanted my gaming console to be that portal to media because I do more than just game. And the fact is, Sony is just as aware of the need, because they have all of the streaming stuff in their box, too. They just didn't actually make it as useful as Microsoft.

But more than that, next gen gaming means socially. Most of the time, I'm not playing with my friends directly, although that is a big part of gaming, too. But the activity feed keeps me touch with friends, lets me share my experiences with them through video clips, and them with me. We comment and like each others achievements and clips, and use the hub to find other with similar gaming interested.

And seriously, all I have to to post a video to my activity feed, which shows up on everyone following me, is say Record That. So when I score a cool goal, or something funny happens in a game, I've gotten ere ally good at saying it at the right time to create a little slice of what I'm doing. I never leave me game, I don't have to edit it. It just pops up.

But yeah, I could get a PS4, which still has still not produced many good exclusives, outside of Infamous. I could then spend $100 on a Roku box that is less powerful and useful than the media capabilities of the XB1. But i would miss a ton of what make the XB1 such a great console. Because my friends and I are gamers, and love to share our experiences.

And when I look at the upcoming exclusives, Sunset overdrive, Horizon 2, and the MCC, as well as the recent release of D4, it's odd to see people claiming that gaming is not important on the XB1. Gaming is freaking fantastic on XB1.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #512
Banned

Quote:
I don't think you are really that much of a gamer. I mean, I have 15 games on the XB1. I like Forza 5, Ryse, Powerstar Golf, and a host of others. Next gen sports gaming is finally arriving with the Madden 15, FIFA 15, and even NHL 15 has great next gen gameplay, even if they didn't have time to finish the game and include more modes.
While im more of a ****** gamer than a hardcore gamer, I still average one finished game a month which is more than most and allows me to minimize my backlog. I'm not an EA fan and Madden lasted me two weeks and it was gone. I don't collect games anymore unless it's via digital download and that's only when they hit the $20 or less mark. Now, I buy games at launch, play and finish them and no, I don't rush them. I enjoy the games I finish, otherwise, I wouldn't waste my time trying to do so. Have only finished four games that have been released in 2014 but that's mainly because all the games that I want to play are still yet to be released this year or have been delayed until 2015. I'm currently playing Xbox 360 more than PlayStation 4 because as of right now, there's nothing for me to play.

Quote:
I can't think of a more shallow person than someone that just games, but doesn't watch TV and movies, listen to music, and read books. I mean, that's cool, but it kind of lame. I specifically mentioned that I wanted my gaming console to be that portal to media because I do more than just game. And the fact is, Sony is just as aware of the need, because they have all of the streaming stuff in their box, too. They just didn't actually make it as useful as Microsoft.
I do watch TV shows, movies and listen to music but I do all of that stuff on my laptop. Not on my gaming console. No reason for me to stream stuff via my console when I could just use my laptop. Both consoles can pretty much do the same stuff but to me, the number one priority and focus should be games, not everything else. To me, that defeats the purpose of buying a video game console.

Quote:
But more than that, next gen gaming means socially. Most of the time, I'm not playing with my friends directly, although that is a big part of gaming, too. But the activity feed keeps me touch with friends, lets me share my experiences with them through video clips, and them with me. We comment and like each others achievements and clips, and use the hub to find other with similar gaming interested.

And seriously, all I have to to post a video to my activity feed, which shows up on everyone following me, is say Record That. So when I score a cool goal, or something funny happens in a game, I've gotten ere ally good at saying it at the right time to create a little slice of what I'm doing. I never leave me game, I don't have to edit it. It just pops up.
Well, you got me there as I have no interest in playing online and the only game that may change that is over a year away. I care about the single player experience as that's what I prefer. Now, it's all online which I hate because if a game has a single player campaign, none of the online stuff should be connected to it. I also don't like that co-op stuff doesn't have an AI option so you can still play it without going online.

Quote:
But yeah, I could get a PS4, which still has still not produced many good exclusives, outside of Infamous. I could then spend $100 on a Roku box that is less powerful and useful than the media capabilities of the XB1. But i would miss a ton of what make the XB1 such a great console. Because my friends and I are gamers, and love to share our experiences.

And when I look at the upcoming exclusives, Sunset overdrive, Horizon 2, and the MCC, as well as the recent release of D4, it's odd to see people claiming that gaming is not important on the XB1. Gaming is freaking fantastic on XB1.
Just sounds to me that if it wasn't for all of the "multi-media" capabilities that Xbox One offers, you probably wouldn't have even purchased it to begin with. Of course, in the end, it's all about personal preference and currently for me, that's PS4 easily but without playing favorites, if it wasn't for third party games, both consoles would have been dead on arrival.

Exclusives wise, for me personally, it's tied at 1-1. Knack for PS4 and Ryse for Xbox One. Have no interest in Infamous, Titanfall or any of the exclusives that you listed or any others that are coming out for the rest of 2014 for either console. I have five months to go as im waiting for The Order: 1886 and Bloodborne.

As for gaming not being important on Xbox One, im sure it is for those who own an Xbox One....it's just NOT as important as all the "multi-media" stuff that can be done with the console. At least, that's the impression I get after reading so many posts from those who own an Xbox One regardless of the fact if they own a PS4 or not.

In the end, to each his/her own.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »