Home

Why does my XB1 still control my TV and STB after disconnecting it?

This is a discussion on Why does my XB1 still control my TV and STB after disconnecting it? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
Rookie

Qrashman's Arena

OVR: 4
Why does my XB1 still control my TV and STB after disconnecting it?

I'm sure there's a simple explanation but I can't figure it out. I had my cable box and TV hooked up through my XB1 so that the XB1 controlled everything for the past 6+ months. The stupid thing never works (that's a different thread) so I finally decided to disconnect it. Now my XB1 is hooked up as a standalone. There is no physical wire connecting the TV or Cable Box to my XB1.

Except it still controls my TV and my Cable Box. If I say "Xbox watch ESPN" it goes to ESPN (ok really it goes to ESPN2) and "Xbox watch Disney Junior" (ok it goes to Disney Channel) but it still has the functionality as if its hooked up to my cable box. Pressing the XB1 power button also turns off the TV like it used to.

Any idea whats going on?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
Go Wings!

OVR: 41
Re: Why does my XB1 still control my TV and STB after disconnecting it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrashman
I'm sure there's a simple explanation but I can't figure it out. I had my cable box and TV hooked up through my XB1 so that the XB1 controlled everything for the past 6+ months. The stupid thing never works (that's a different thread) so I finally decided to disconnect it. Now my XB1 is hooked up as a standalone. There is no physical wire connecting the TV or Cable Box to my XB1.

Except it still controls my TV and my Cable Box. If I say "Xbox watch ESPN" it goes to ESPN (ok really it goes to ESPN2) and "Xbox watch Disney Junior" (ok it goes to Disney Channel) but it still has the functionality as if its hooked up to my cable box. Pressing the XB1 power button also turns off the TV like it used to.

Any idea whats going on?
I'm sure the tv is still set up through settings, even if it's not going through the One....The One is sending IR settings to change channels, you just don't see the One overlay

To get rid of it I'd remove your cable box in the One settings somewhere.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #3
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

What mgoblue said. It never controlled any of that over the cables that were connected, so without going through and redoing the settings it will send out the IR for those commands to the devices initially set up.

Also FYI you fix your similar channels problem by opening the guide and navigating to them. Consider adding them as favorites also. That will kinda jog the memory for those channels and seems to place emphasis on them in recognition.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:07 PM   #4
MVP

studbucket's Arena

OVR: 8

What those guys said is correct. Also, it's magic

Additionally, I'm around and checking some of the forum threads. If you need tech support or help getting something to work, let me know.

🏈RIFLE - a dystopian football league.

🏀Bringing Back the Buzz - my first dynasty.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #5
Rookie

Qrashman's Arena

stupid me didn't realize it was all through IR. I thought all the communication was through hardwired cables. Doh.

I'll try the trick with the channels and favorites. That was my biggest beef is that it never recognized any of the channels that we used. I'd say overall the XB1 does what I intend around 20% of the time using voice commands. The voice recognition has been awful since Day 1 for me. It rarely recognizes when I'm in the room either. Every once in a while it'll pop up a "Hello Jim!" but I can sit there for 2 hours without it recognizing me and signing me in.

I'll report back if adding channels to favorites makes for better recognition. It used to recognize Disney Junior fine, but now it goes to Disney every time. ESPN goes to ESPN2. PBS Kids Sprout goes to PBS, etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
MVP

studbucket's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrashman
stupid me didn't realize it was all through IR. I thought all the communication was through hardwired cables. Doh.

I'll try the trick with the channels and favorites. That was my biggest beef is that it never recognized any of the channels that we used. I'd say overall the XB1 does what I intend around 20% of the time using voice commands. The voice recognition has been awful since Day 1 for me. It rarely recognizes when I'm in the room either. Every once in a while it'll pop up a "Hello Jim!" but I can sit there for 2 hours without it recognizing me and signing me in.

I'll report back if adding channels to favorites makes for better recognition. It used to recognize Disney Junior fine, but now it goes to Disney every time. ESPN goes to ESPN2. PBS Kids Sprout goes to PBS, etc.
Additionally, re-calibrating Kinect with the volume way louder (like 2-3 times) than you normally have it has helped many people.

🏈RIFLE - a dystopian football league.

🏀Bringing Back the Buzz - my first dynasty.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #7
Rookie

Qrashman's Arena

I've tried that, didn't help at all unfortunately.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »