Home

Nintendo Switch Discussion

This is a discussion on Nintendo Switch Discussion within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2018, 12:57 PM   #3985
Go Wings!

OVR: 41
Re: Nintendo Switch Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobalt
No, if she wants to play online under her profile, she needs her own subscription.
Gotcha, thanks....

Are the NES games worth it does anyone know? Probably ones with staying power (off the top of my head) are Zelda, Dr. Mario, River City Ransom, SMB3...

I liked Ice Hockey and others, but don't see myself doing much more than just checking them out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #3986
All Star

Kobalt's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
Gotcha, thanks....

Are the NES games worth it does anyone know? Probably ones with staying power (off the top of my head) are Zelda, Dr. Mario, River City Ransom, SMB3...

I liked Ice Hockey and others, but don't see myself doing much more than just checking them out.
I've been playing tecmo bowl on it. The games aren't bad, but I wouldn't really say it's that good either. One issue I have with NES games are that there is no manual for any of the games so I have no idea what the controls are.

There's a 7 day trial if you want to try it, make sure to cancel auto-renewal after signing up by removing ur credit card since it puts you on a month auto-renewal the moment you sign up.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:08 PM   #3987
Go Wings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobalt
I've been playing tecmo bowl on it. The games aren't bad, but I wouldn't really say it's that good either. One issue I have with NES games are that there is no manual for any of the games so I have no idea what the controls are.

There's a 7 day trial if you want to try it, make sure to cancel auto-renewal after signing up by removing ur credit card since it puts you on a month auto-renewal the moment you sign up.
Yeah, I may just wait a while...thanks for the input.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #3988
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
Gotcha, thanks....

Honestly, most suck.

I had the original NES and loved a couple of these games but they didn't age well. And it's not because of graphics. I think we've just got so much innovation today that a lot of these games feel empty and slow.

I never played Ghosts'n Goblins as a kid. Always wanted to. So finally fired it up 30 years later. And within 3 minutes everything I dreamed of this game being were destroyed. It's just not very good today.

I played Baseball, Tennis, Pro Wrestling and Ice Hockey yesterday too. Not trying to trash the games (though they are trash) and I know they were amazing when they were released, but there is no value in playing them today if you have any baseball game made since Bases Loaded, any tennis game made since Virtua Tennis, any wrestling game since any wrestling game made since, or any Hockey game made since NHL 95.

Dr. Mario was the best tetris-like game I played during the NES era, in my opinion. It has some staying power but I think this is more about innovation at this point. There's too much good puzzle gaming out there to sit down and move pills around.

River City Ransom I'm sure is all about the nostalgia because it's painfully slow with no story and very little payback. You really just walk around and kick people. GTA let you do that on the PS2 while also throwing in explosions and grand theft with an engrossing storyline.

Excitebike. Yeesh. Let's just jump on ramps until we complete a couple laps. That's really it.

At this point I'm worried they'll add Super Mario Bros. 2 and demolish my entire childhood.

I'm not trying to be negative, really. I think it's awesome we get to play these games again (and remind ourselves why we are so fortunate things are so much better now) but the NES titles just aren't very good. Super Mario Bros. 3 might be the only one really worth having in this initial collection.

I also never played Metroid so I hope it's as good as advertised and holds up when it's released in November. And I never owned Legend of Zelda on the NES. Only got to see my cousins play it when I visited so I will be playing that at the very least.

$20 for 12 months is not bad at all so I don't care. Just please bring on the SNES games.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 09-21-2018, 03:42 PM   #3989
Go Wings!

I think my thoughts would echo yours, CMH, were I to get it.

20 is pretty cheap, i'm just pretty frugal right now, so 20 in indie games would be better spent since I don't really play online at all right now.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:44 PM   #3990
Hall Of Fame

Flightwhite24's Arena

OVR: 34
Nintendo Switch Discussion

Who needs Madden 19 when you have this!! It’s cool to revisit a classic but to be totally honest this purchase was more for the online options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Flightwhite24; 09-21-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:16 PM   #3991
All Star

Mintsa's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMPBLACKMAMBA24

Who needs Madden 19 when you have this!! It’s cool to revisit a classic but to be totally honest this purchase was more for the online options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tecmobowl has no names for rosters right ?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2018, 06:02 PM   #3992
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsa
Tecmobowl has no names for rosters right ?

That is correct

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »