Home

Sony E3 2018 Press Conference

This is a discussion on Sony E3 2018 Press Conference within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-12-2018, 01:37 PM   #73
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Sony E3 2018 Press Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Well thankfully I have you to keep my expectations realistic.
You're welcome.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:43 PM   #74
Legal Advisor

jwilphl's Arena

OVR: 12

With the PS5 apparently slated for 2021, I have to imagine TLOU:2 comes out next year. I doubt they will hold it off for three years. Maybe a remaster, but I'm not even sure if they need to remaster games between this generation and the next, especially with the Pro already existing. The advancements for next-gen will be relatively subtle (I'd guess native 4K, 60 FPS, with the possibility of expanded scope). It will be more in the details.

I didn't catch the MS show this year, mainly because I don't own their console, but Sony probably didn't have much choice in letting their exclusive titles sell the show. What else could they have done?
Old 06-12-2018, 01:57 PM   #75
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilphl
With the PS5 apparently slated for 2021, I have to imagine TLOU:2 comes out next year. I doubt they will hold it off for three years. Maybe a remaster, but I'm not even sure if they need to remaster games between this generation and the next, especially with the Pro already existing. The advancements for next-gen will be relatively subtle (I'd guess native 4K, 60 FPS, with the possibility of expanded scope). It will be more in the details.

I didn't catch the MS show this year, mainly because I don't own their console, but Sony probably didn't have much choice in letting their exclusive titles sell the show. What else could they have done?
Pretty much agree with this. Next gen will be a minimal leap. It's the gen after next that will get the huge leap.

Sony had a great showing except for the intermission segment which was stupid but understandable considering the attendees were moving from one venue to another. Stupid definitely but still understandable. Plus, the church they were in for TLOUP2 was actually the opening of the game itself. Also, during the intermission, they showed COD/Destiny 2 expansion which they would have shown anyway so in a way, for me personally, I was happy that they used the intermission to show those two games and get them out of the way.

I came away very impressed with Ghost of Tsushima. Can't wait for it. TLOUP2 looked great as well but it is a sequel so outside of the more brutal aspects, it was what I expected. Spider Man looked great and the gameplay shown on the post game got me hyped even though it does look too cinematic at times.

Death Stranding looked great but it seems like all the enemies and combat were removed from the gameplay demo. Don't know why. I'm guessing Kojima wasn't happy or didn't want to show it yet. Very impressive though visually. I'm still 50/50 on it and still don't know what it is but it's from Kojima so none of this really comes as a surprise, at least not to me anyway.

Remedy's Control is on my list but it better be better than Quantum Break which was boring as hell. But we'll see. Nioh 2 was a pleasant surprise but a ways off. REmake2 though looked awesome!!! And it comes out in seven months. Hell yeah!!!!

For me, five games im definitely buying with one (Death Stranding) being 50/50. Overall, it was a 7.0/10 in general but for me, it was a 9.0/10. My only major complaint outside of the intermission which evened out for me due to them showing COD/Destiny and getting them out of the way was that the gameplay wasn't longer for GOT and TLOUP2. Wanted more. Oh well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2018, 02:00 PM   #76
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter42O
Microsoft has one great E3 in years with majority being padding (20 Indie Game montage) and third parties and everyone thinks Sony is either complacent or getting ready for PS5 because no new games are shown from their first parties despite not realizing all of the first parties have just released a game, are about to or released multiple games and expansions this generation already. Yep, definitely complacent. SMH.
More just that Sony has a history of getting complacent....They didn't have to wow this E3, you're completely right. But it's fair to also point out that Sony has dropped the ball before when they have had giant leads in the console market, so could easily happen again. MS showed that they're not making the same mistakes they did.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:21 PM   #77
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
More just that Sony has a history of getting complacent....They didn't have to wow this E3, you're completely right. But it's fair to also point out that Sony has dropped the ball before when they have had giant leads in the console market, so could easily happen again. MS showed that they're not making the same mistakes they did.
I agree 100%. However, Microsoft has FINALLY after years, made an impact. Sony has one E3 that doesn't live up to everyone's expectations which is 100% on those people especially when Shawn Layden himself is telling us not to get hyped and everyone thinks the worse of Sony.

Look at their internal studios. Look at their games. They've all just recently released their first game this gen (God of War/SSM), are getting ready to release their first game this gen (Days Gone/Sony Bend and Death Stranding/Kojima) or have released multiple games/expansions already (TLOUR, U4, U:LL/Naughty Dog, Killzone, DLC, Horizon, Frozen Wilds/Guerrilla, Infamous, First Light/Sucker Punch).

Naughty Dog is releasing THREE games this generation plus TLOUR back in 2014. Sucker Punch is releasing a NEW IP. Guerrilla Games launched a NEW IP. Kojima NEW IP.

If Sony has a crappy E3 in 2020 (not 2019) when launching PS5 or says $600 or some crap then, take my word for it, I'll be yelling, screaming and ranting right along side you and everyone else. But now, no way. Sony has been on fire since Bloodborne followed by Until Dawn, Uncharted 4, Horizon, Uncharted: Lost Legacy, Horizon The Frozen Wilds, God of War and Detroit.

I just don't get it. No legitimate reason for any PlayStation fan to complain right now. Their games are selling millions upon millions, scoring high with critics and gamers. I have been super happy and excited with PS4/PS4 Pro. Way more than Xbox One. Now, Xbox One X and Switch combined.

Difference is that I know what to expect from all three. Microsoft had an excellent E3 and their acquisitions were for the majority of them, great additions BUT I know that outside of FH4/FH5, im not getting a single game from them until 2020 at the earliest BUT at the same time, that's perfectly fine as that's what I want. I want them to get me hyped for next gen and in this regard, as of right now, they have succeeded.

Either way, the future looks awesome. Games wise, 2019 will make 2017 look like crap in comparison (at least for me anyway) and I can't wait.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:34 PM   #78
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter42O
I agree 100%. However, Microsoft has FINALLY after years, made an impact. Sony has one E3 that doesn't live up to everyone's expectations which is 100% on those people especially when Shawn Layden himself is telling us not to get hyped and everyone thinks the worse of Sony.

Look at their internal studios. Look at their games. They've all just recently released their first game this gen (God of War/SSM), are getting ready to release their first game this gen (Days Gone/Sony Bend and Death Stranding/Kojima) or have released multiple games/expansions already (TLOUR, U4, U:LL/Naughty Dog, Killzone, DLC, Horizon, Frozen Wilds/Guerrilla, Infamous, First Light/Sucker Punch).

Naughty Dog is releasing THREE games this generation plus TLOUR back in 2014. Sucker Punch is releasing a NEW IP. Guerrilla Games launched a NEW IP. Kojima NEW IP.

If Sony has a crappy E3 in 2020 (not 2019) when launching PS5 or says $600 or some crap then, take my word for it, I'll be yelling, screaming and ranting right along side you and everyone else. But now, no way. Sony has been on fire since Bloodborne followed by Until Dawn, Uncharted 4, Horizon, Uncharted: Lost Legacy, Horizon The Frozen Wilds, God of War and Detroit.

I just don't get it. No legitimate reason for any PlayStation fan to complain right now. Their games are selling millions upon millions, scoring high with critics and gamers. I have been super happy and excited with PS4/PS4 Pro. Way more than Xbox One. Now, Xbox One X and Switch combined.

Difference is that I know what to expect from all three. Microsoft had an excellent E3 and their acquisitions were for the majority of them, great additions BUT I know that outside of FH4/FH5, im not getting a single game from them until 2020 at the earliest BUT at the same time, that's perfectly fine as that's what I want. I want them to get me hyped for next gen and in this regard, as of right now, they have succeeded.

Either way, the future looks awesome. Games wise, 2019 will make 2017 look like crap in comparison (at least for me anyway) and I can't wait.
Great points...it's not necessarily a problem, but after years of great E3's they had a bit of a blah one...but it's not like the beginning of the end.

I'm really interested in the long game that MS is taking and what Sony could do to combat it...
Old 06-12-2018, 03:13 PM   #79
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky24
Crazy to me that people are accepting of this. Not saying you are but it shouldn’t be like that. Will anyone be shocked if LOU2 is held off until ps5?
I dont think LOU2 will be like held off i just think Sony has shifted there focus onto ps5 and that Sony is like already covered for this year and like next year when it comes to ps4 exclusives to keep people happy in till ps5 does come out most likely around holiday time of next year has they didn't really show off any thing new for ps4.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:29 PM   #80
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
Great points...it's not necessarily a problem, but after years of great E3's they had a bit of a blah one...but it's not like the beginning of the end.

I'm really interested in the long game that MS is taking and what Sony could do to combat it...
Thanks. They had a "down" one but when im seeing gameplay for the first time of two new IP's and TLOUP2, I personally can't complain. Add in Control, REmake2 and Spider Man and while the quantity is 1/5th of what Microsoft showed, the quality for me personally was higher especially with GOT. I'm super hyped on that game.

Okay. I'm a gamer and that's what interests me the most. It's what I spend the majority of my free money on so as long as Sony continues with what they're doing going into next gen, they'll be better than fine.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »