Home

Pack purchasing method

This is a discussion on Pack purchasing method within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-07-2015, 05:33 PM   #9
Rookie

Beat LA's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Pack purchasing method

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden's Jowels
I'd estimate I've opened around 500 packs. Started playing the market and built up a big amount of stubs from flipping cards, something like 130k. Spent it all on packs. Kept some stuff, sold other stuff. Used the stubs I got from selling stuff off to buy more packs. Rinse, repeat.

I've pulled Trout twice, Posey twice, Cano, and Tulowitzki for Diamonds. Wide range of Golds.

Full disclosure, this method is NOT the easiest or cheapest way to attain great players, and many people will tell you straight up it's a waste of stubs, but I take no pleasure in just buying cards straight from the market. Where's the fun in that? The fun of opening packs and pulling a diamond is worth it to me even though from an economic standpoint I could have taken my 100k and bought 2 or even 3 diamonds lol. I'm not spending any real money on it so I don't really care if I "blow it." I love the luck of the draw. It's a personal preference. It's like going to Wal-Mart and buying the 24-pack box of baseball cards rather than going to the local card shop and picking out 1 or 2 awesome cards. The second method might be smarter, but it's also just joyless to me.

So if your goal is just to assemble a stacked team ASAP, don't listen to me. But if you're like me and don't find any fun or joy in just buying cards from the market, and want to build a team strictly through what you've pulled in packs, I'd suggest not bothering with small amounts like 10 packs at a time. It's too easy, from a mathematical standpoint, to get 10 dud packs in a row. Take that 10,000 stubs and use it to flip some cards, build it up, and buy packs in BULK. Because when you're buying 50, 60+ at a time or more, mathematically it's almost certain you're going to pull at least a few things that are worth some stubs, probably at the very least 2 Golds, and if you aren't interested in keeping any of them, you sell them and start fresh again. And in all those packs you're getting equipment, some of which will probably be gold or diamond, and can sell those as well. You can sell all the silvers you pull (Per 50 packs I usually get like 15-20 silvers), so even though you might not be landing a diamond every time out, you should be able to make quite a bit back and try your luck again.

If you're not bothering with collections, sell off any valuable cards you aren't using. If you have some gold players you don't really like, sell em. Go to the ATL Braves and sell off any of their cards you don't need, their prices are ridiculously inflated. If you are trying to do collections, just sell duplicates.
I think this is how I'm going to go about this in the future. I completed the Giants set through the buying of cards, because I already got Hunter Pence in the free aniversary packs, along with some silvers and bronzes in after game pulls. I just really wanted the Will Clark, so I got the rest of the commons and some silvers through low buy orders that were surprisingly quickly accepted.

I don't want to buy a stacked team. I think I'm just going to get packs for the thrill of it, now that I finally have a little bit of a cushion. Much of the fun is in randomly seeing the corner of a diamond/gold card as your flipping through your new pack. I am wary of my chances, though, as I have gotten a diamond Chris Sale and a diamond fielding glove in my last two packs purchased.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »