Home

Pack purchasing method

This is a discussion on Pack purchasing method within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-07-2015, 02:21 PM   #1
Always batting 1.000

mpulse24's Arena

OVR: 0
Pack purchasing method

Instead of buying the standard packs all in one shot, I have assessed my squad needs beforehand and then split my purchase with Position Player packs and Pitchers packs. So, say I'm looking to buy 9 packs and I decide I am in need of a decent middle of the order bat, I will buy 6 Position Player packs and 3 Pitcher packs (visa-versa if I am in search of a pitcher).

I turned to this method after my first opening of the anniversary edition standard packs. I wasn't happy with the results. The bulk of the players of any quality that I got were bronze relief pitchers. So when it came to my next opening I went with the method above and pulled some really decent players not just on the offensive side, but good pitchers as well and I felt much less restricted with my search.

Has anyone else used this method before? Do you think its all coincidental? Am I better off with all standard packs when it comes to finding Golds or the elusive Diamonds? Because at the moment, those are my main focus with my openings, along with players on the rise and due to get a decent ratings boost (Like Mookie Betts and Joc Pederson).

Last edited by mpulse24; 05-07-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2015, 02:31 PM   #2
MVP

Madden's Jowels's Arena

Re: Pack purchasing method

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyp2002
Instead of buying the standard packs all in one shot, I have assessed my squad needs beforehand and then split my purchase with Position Player packs and Pitchers packs. So, say I'm looking to buy 9 packs and I decide I am in need of a decent middle of the order bat, I will buy 6 Position Player packs and 3 Pitcher packs (visa-versa if I am in search of a pitcher).

I turned to this method after my first opening of the anniversary edition standard packs. I wasn't happy with the results. The bulk of the players of any quality that I got were bronze relief pitchers. So when it came to my next opening I went with the method above and pulled some really decent players not just on the offensive side, but good pitchers as well and I felt much less restricted with my search.

Has anyone else used this method before? Do you think its all coincidental? Am I better off with all standard packs when it comes to finding Golds or the elusive Diamonds? Because at the moment, those are my main focus with my openings, along with players on the rise and due to get a decent ratings boost (Like Mookie Betts and Joc Pederson).

I have always had much better pulls out of Standard packs. I've pulled 6 diamonds and like 20 something golds all out of Standard packs, and whenever I've purchased Position or Pitcher packs I'm disappointed in the results.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:38 PM   #3
Always batting 1.000

mpulse24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden's Jowels
I have always had much better pulls out of Standard packs. I've pulled 6 diamonds and like 20 something golds all out of Standard packs, and whenever I've purchased Position or Pitcher packs I'm disappointed in the results.

Damn! thats a lot of diamonds and golds! Around how many packs have you opened, do you think?

and I have been hearing that Standard packs are the way to go, I never gave into buying those limited edition packs. I have been having good but not great results with my method. So maybe switching to strictly standard packs is the way to tip the scales more in my favor.

btw, in the 40 (or so) packs that I've opened I've pulled 4 golds. So I'm finding them at a 1 in every 10 rate at the moment.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:12 PM   #4
MVP

Madden's Jowels's Arena

Quote:
Damn! thats a lot of diamonds and golds! Around how many packs have you opened, do you think?

and I have been hearing that Standard packs are the way to go, I never gave into buying those limited edition packs. I have been having good but not great results with my method. So maybe switching to strictly standard packs is the way to tip the scales more in my favor.

btw, in the 40 (or so) packs that I've opened I've pulled 4 golds. So I'm finding them at a 1 in every 10 rate at the moment.

I'd estimate I've opened around 500 packs. Started playing the market and built up a big amount of stubs from flipping cards, something like 130k. Spent it all on packs. Kept some stuff, sold other stuff. Used the stubs I got from selling stuff off to buy more packs. Rinse, repeat.

I've pulled Trout twice, Posey twice, Cano, and Tulowitzki for Diamonds. Wide range of Golds.

Full disclosure, this method is NOT the easiest or cheapest way to obtain great players, and many people will tell you straight up it's a waste of stubs, but I take no pleasure in just buying cards straight from the market. Where's the fun in that? The fun of opening packs and pulling a diamond is worth it to me even though from an economic standpoint I could have taken my 100k and bought 2 or even 3 diamonds lol. I'm not spending any real money on it so I don't really care if I "blow it." I love the luck of the draw. It's a personal preference. It's like going to Wal-Mart and buying the 24-pack box of baseball cards rather than going to the local card shop and picking out 1 or 2 awesome cards. The second method might be smarter, but it's also just joyless to me.

So if your goal is just to assemble a stacked team ASAP, don't listen to me. But if you're like me and don't find any fun or joy in just buying cards from the market, and want to build a team strictly through what you've pulled in packs, I'd suggest not bothering with small amounts like 10 packs at a time. It's too easy, from a mathematical standpoint, to get 10 dud packs in a row. Take that 10,000 stubs and use it to flip some cards, build it up, and buy packs in BULK. Because when you're buying 50, 60+ at a time or more, mathematically it's almost certain you're going to pull at least a few things that are worth some stubs, probably at the very least 2 Golds, and if you aren't interested in keeping any of them, you sell them and start fresh again. And in all those packs you're getting equipment, some of which will probably be gold or diamond, and can sell those as well. You can sell all the silvers you pull (Per 50 packs I usually get like 15-20 silvers), so even though you might not be landing a diamond every time out, you should be able to make quite a bit back and try your luck again.

If you're not bothering with collections, sell off any valuable cards you aren't using. If you have some gold players you don't really like, sell em. Go to the ATL Braves and sell off any of their cards you don't need, their prices are ridiculously inflated. If you are trying to do collections, just sell duplicates.

Last edited by Madden's Jowels; 05-07-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:02 PM   #5
Always batting 1.000

mpulse24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden's Jowels
I'd estimate I've opened around 500 packs. Started playing the market and built up a big amount of stubs from flipping cards, something like 130k. Spent it all on packs. Kept some stuff, sold other stuff. Used the stubs I got from selling stuff off to buy more packs. Rinse, repeat.

I've pulled Trout twice, Posey twice, Cano, and Tulowitzki for Diamonds. Wide range of Golds.

Full disclosure, this method is NOT the easiest or cheapest way to attain great players, and many people will tell you straight up it's a waste of stubs, but I take no pleasure in just buying cards straight from the market. Where's the fun in that? The fun of opening packs and pulling a diamond is worth it to me even though from an economic standpoint I could have taken my 100k and bought 2 or even 3 diamonds lol. I'm not spending any real money on it so I don't really care if I "blow it." I love the luck of the draw. It's a personal preference. It's like going to Wal-Mart and buying the 24-pack box of baseball cards rather than going to the local card shop and picking out 1 or 2 awesome cards. The second method might be smarter, but it's also just joyless to me.

So if your goal is just to assemble a stacked team ASAP, don't listen to me. But if you're like me and don't find any fun or joy in just buying cards from the market, and want to build a team strictly through what you've pulled in packs, I'd suggest not bothering with small amounts like 10 packs at a time. It's too easy, from a mathematical standpoint, to get 10 dud packs in a row. Take that 10,000 stubs and use it to flip some cards, build it up, and buy packs in BULK. Because when you're buying 50, 60+ at a time or more, mathematically it's almost certain you're going to pull at least a few things that are worth some stubs, probably at the very least 2 Golds, and if you aren't interested in keeping any of them, you sell them and start fresh again. And in all those packs you're getting equipment, some of which will probably be gold or diamond, and can sell those as well. You can sell all the silvers you pull (Per 50 packs I usually get like 15-20 silvers), so even though you might not be landing a diamond every time out, you should be able to make quite a bit back and try your luck again.

If you're not bothering with collections, sell off any valuable cards you aren't using. If you have some gold players you don't really like, sell em. Go to the ATL Braves and sell off any of their cards you don't need, their prices are ridiculously inflated. If you are trying to do collections, just sell duplicates.
That's some great advice and definitely fits how I want to build my teams. I'm definitely not the type to go and buy diamonds and golds off the market. Like you, I prefer the thrill of the chase and hunting through packs. I've always been that way growing up with baseball cards. That analogy with the 24 pack of baseball cards fits me perfectly. haha So, I understand your preference of packs over buying a single card.

I have been selling off most of the gold equipment that comes my way, like you said, and I sold off my gold David Price to fund my pack habits. I'm still not the best at playing the market and I can't quickly flip cards. But, in the last day or two I made my first single card purchases strictly as stub investments, 2 Mookie Betts, 2 Joc Pedersons and 2 Adam Linds. My hope is that their ratings will spike so I can flip one of each (or both doubles) back on the market for profit. So far, that has been the extent of my card buying, I've mostly just been selling.

Just now, I took my 25,000 stubs I had stockpiled and picked up some packs. I haven't opened them yet, but, the insane thing is, in the back of my mind, I'm hoping I pull a diamond or a legend just so I can sell him back on the market to get more packs! xD
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 3

I would suggest not to open packs strictly on what you need for your lineup because then you're limiting yourself by the players you could potentially get in a pack and later sell.

I usually buy standard packs most with a few position and pitching packs thrown in. I've had the most luck with the standard packs as well.

I also wouldn't suggest spending all your stubs on packs because in the end, you'll most likely always end up behind. Spend some on packs and invest in a few players.

Take some time to learn the market and you'll be better off in the long run and you'll make more stubs to open packs.

Ryan/Scherzer/Fernandez/Cueto/Darvish
Old 05-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
That's some great advice and definitely fits how I want to build my teams. I'm definitely not the type to go and buy diamonds and golds off the market. Like you, I prefer the thrill of the chase and hunting through packs. I've always been that way growing up with baseball cards. That analogy with the 24 pack of baseball cards fits me perfectly. haha So, I understand your preference of packs over buying a single card.

I have been selling off most of the gold equipment that comes my way, like you said, and I sold off my gold David Price to fund my pack habits. I'm still not the best at playing the market and I can't quickly flip cards. But, in the last day or two I made my first single card purchases strictly as stub investments, 2 Mookie Betts, 2 Joc Pedersons and 2 Adam Linds. My hope is that their ratings will spike so I can flip one of each (or both doubles) back on the market for profit. So far, that has been the extent of my card buying, I've mostly just been selling.

Just now, I took my 25,000 stubs I had stockpiled and picked up some packs. I haven't opened them yet, but, the insane thing is, in the back of my mind, I'm hoping I pull a diamond or a legend just so I can sell him back on the market to get more packs! xD

Im the same way. I want diamonds just to sell for more packs..
Old 05-07-2015, 05:15 PM   #8
Always batting 1.000

mpulse24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vc15
I would suggest not to open packs strictly on what you need for your lineup because then you're limiting yourself by the players you could potentially get in a pack and later sell.

I usually buy standard packs most with a few position and pitching packs thrown in. I've had the most luck with the standard packs as well.

I also wouldn't suggest spending all your stubs on packs because in the end, you'll most likely always end up behind. Spend some on packs and invest in a few players.

Take some time to learn the market and you'll be better off in the long run and you'll make more stubs to open packs.
Yeah, that makes sense too, here I was trying to avoid being handcuffed and I just end up limiting myself further. I'll definitely stick to standard pack buying...especially after my success with it just a few minutes ago! I tested my method, I bought 10 standard packs along with 6 Position player packs and 4 Pitcher packs, I got some decent silvers out of the two latter packs, but the 10 standard packs gave me MUCH better results. Picked up higher rated silvers, a Gold Matt Wieters and my first ever Diamond...and it was a huge pull!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudCrew1992
Im the same way. I want diamonds just to sell for more packs..
Yeah, with how much some of these diamonds are worth, it seems they are designed to act that way.

There's my first Diamond! It was so awesome pulling that card! Even though, I'll be selling him to pretty much be secure in the Stubs department! haha

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »