Home

How long did it take everyone to get a Gold Card

This is a discussion on How long did it take everyone to get a Gold Card within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-03-2015, 07:49 PM   #9
Rookie

djeternal2's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How long did it take everyone to get a Gold Card

I got my first gold on day 1 (Ian Desmond). My suggestion is to not buy packs; but, wait until this weekend when the May performers pack drops and pick up 1 or more golds on the cheap depending on how many stubs you have.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:53 PM   #10
Banned

Also Reddick. JR will cost about 350, but he can RAKE and he plays very good defense. Great batting stance too.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:01 PM   #11
Rookie

Dag_BoomStick's Arena

Build up your stubs from each game and go get some packs. For me personally each 1k stubs I get via selling my doubles of players and playing games I buy a pack. At this point my team is not changing much with the exception of maybe bullpen guys or I pull trout or cutch in a pack. Always go standard packs even more so first starting out. Sooner or later you'll start popping a few golds then if it's someone you could use great put them in your lineup. If not sell them and if you can get more then 10k for that player look to invest that in good players. You could sell a guy for 10k and slit that up pretty well and pick up 2-3 good gold guys. If it's less then 10k and you don't want them I'd toss that into more packs personally looking for a big score. Though diamonds and ledgends are extremely rare sooner or later you might pull one. My first two were Miguel Cabrera and mike Schmidt. Sold Cabrera after a couple games for around 55k and spread that around my team to make it good. I eventually sold Schmidt sor 101k but that was purely bc some ******* wanted him that bad and I ended up using that money to finish off the Phillies collection to get Schmidt back and made a 40k profit off it. Used that money to improve my roster a bit more.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2015, 08:26 PM   #12
Rookie

Gambit1193's Arena

It's completely random when it comes to getting a good card after playing a game. Frustrating also. I barely ever get a silver after a game. It's either a common or a stadium.

You can try your luck with packs. I made 1k playing a couple of games and felt like opening a pack and got David Ortiz yesterday (how sad if I had gotten him a couple of days ago I would've been able to sell him for alot of stubs but I didn't) ended up selling him for 7.8k and used that to flip cards and worked my way up to 16k and counting.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:26 AM   #13
Banned

TonyDanzaFan's Arena

OVR: 3

It's gonna take some time. Luckily the packs were nerfed during the first week of release so out of 27 free packs I pulled 2 diamonds(one player one equipment) and 4 golds. Since then I've gotten 1 gold reward out of like 200 games. To get a good team you pretty much have to flip cards. That is the easiest way to get more stubs and buy more players.

Some cheap players to recommend are joc Pederson, Carlos Martinez, eddie gamboa, samardjia is really good and dropping. Mookie betts and Adam Eaton were solid for me when I first started playing. Joc is around the same price as Cain, usually less actually, and I have an all gold team and I still start him against rhp over Nelson Cruz, that's how good he's been. If you need middle of the lineup power, Chris Davis and Edwin are excellent. Both these guys are about 1.5k but add incredible power to your line up.

Last edited by TonyDanzaFan; 06-04-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:26 AM   #14
Rookie

frasety's Arena

I started off playing lots of extra innings and got **** rewards, even if i won on legend (which i only managed to do once). And i haven't had much luck with packs either other than the guaranteed gold packs but even then i get ****ty gold cards that aren't worth near what the pack cost.

I randomly got Justin Upton after a game like 25 games in our so after playing strictly head to head. Then just two days ago i got lucroy randomly after a game (after game 93 in DD). Just gotta keep playing and don't expect anything cause it doesn't happen often haha.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:56 AM   #15
Rookie

Jonn's Arena

Well we have 2 types of people who play this game. Those who earn stubs and those who use a credit card to purchase stubs. So I would assume it didn't take most people very long. Especially with those packs that guarentee a gold card.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2015, 02:42 PM   #16
Rookie

BentleyA's Arena

OVR: 2

Thanks for the replies guys! I took some advice from earlier in the thread which I will comment on later. First, I am happy I am not the only one who has had this frustration. I did look last night and I do have 2 gold equipment cards and I think even a diamond equipment card, but thats it. I also play way too much RTTS (I know it takes a billion games to earn one card with RTTS).

A couple of other things, does anyone know if you get screwed by the stamps if you just put your PS4 in rest mode? I used to do that a bunch to charge the controller when I was not playing, but I was wondering if I would not have gotten the stamp bonus because I would not log out and then in again by doing that?

Okay onto the lineups advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydkid21
You should have enough stubs to buy a few packs. I've found that packs give decent cards at first, and then you get nothing for like 150 packs.

I'd gamble on a few packs with a brand new team. Also, you don't need a lot of stubs to get good bats. Dickerson, Blackmon, Duda, Trumbo, Byrd, Cuddyer, even Quentin, can all mash and they're cheap.

What you really pay for is speed, defense and power coupled with good contact. And of course, the "cool factor" of showing off big names.

A solid player with the guys I mentioned can win plenty of games. The big names aren't really important until you get to 1700+. I rode Morrison at 1B until I hit 1775. He was batting about .325 with 14ish HRs when I replaced him.
I actually do have some of those guys but went and bought Trumbo for insanely cheap after your post. This was an added bonus too since I was moderately excited as an Ms fan about the Trumbo trade last night. Inserted him into the lineup and he has been doing pretty well. It just takes another two hits or a double to get him in from second base haha.
I have had Marlon Byrd since I first started playing, but he was struggling mightily. Since reading your post, I gave him a start against Chris Sale and he went 4 for 4 with a homer, so I think I am going to continue to give him starts vs lefties.
Based off your advice, I went out and bought Duda. I have Lind at first right now mostly (sometimes I will use Lo Mo, but I can shove Lo Mo in right field some times instead against righties and I rake with him as well. Well actually, its more like I perform at a Logan Morrison level with him, which means he bats like .260 but its exciting since every at bat he crushes the ball even if its an out, haha).
I platoon heavily, so one of my big problems is power vs lefties, especially with a first basemen. It appears Duda is not as bad as my other options vs lefties. I will let you know how I do with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDanzaFan
It's gonna take some time. Luckily the packs were nerfed during the first week of release so out of 27 free packs I pulled 2 diamonds(one player one equipment) and 4 golds. Since then I've gotten 1 gold reward out of like 200 games. To get a good team you pretty much have to flip cards. That is the easiest way to get more stubs and buy more players.

Some cheap players to recommend are joc Pederson, Carlos Martinez, eddie gamboa, samardjia is really good and dropping. Mookie betts and Adam Eaton were solid for me when I first started playing. Joc is around the same price as Cain, usually less actually, and I have an all gold team and I still start him against rhp over Nelson Cruz, that's how good he's been. If you need middle of the lineup power, Chris Davis and Edwin are excellent. Both these guys are about 1.5k but add incredible power to your line up.
I might look into Joc since I like him a lot. I have Cain but am just horrible with him. I really really need some speed on the base, but it does not do any good when Cain is batting like .160 for me so I might go pick up Joc to play some center or corner outfield and put austin jackson in center.

Chris Davis is very intriguing to me too at like $1800 but I am stacked at first and my infield is a mess sometimes. I will put LaStella at 3rd (good contact hitter I got for cheap), move Justin Turner over to SS (he is a machine vs righties), and I use mostly Howie Kendrick at second.
Speed and some more consistent power are issues for me.

Oh and I don't know if anyone has used Gattis but I cant even hit the ball in play with that guy for some reason haha

Thanks again!
MLB: Mariners/Reds
PSN: RipCityBentley

Last edited by BentleyA; 06-04-2015 at 02:48 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »