Home

Zone vs directional vs analog?

This is a discussion on Zone vs directional vs analog? within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-05-2015, 10:01 PM   #1
Rookie

Dag_BoomStick's Arena

OVR: 0
Zone vs directional vs analog?

Yeah I know probably a stupid question. I've never messed with mysettngs gs much and aparently I've always been playing on directional hitting. I hear a lot do talk about zone being better so I tired it for a game but turned the PCI appearence off bc it messes with me watching the ball. Just would like some input on what's what with this type of hitting. Oh and. Tried analog in years passed and hated it. Couldn't do well with it and I would abuse my sticks more then id like to.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2015, 10:07 PM   #2
Rookie

BentleyA's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Zone vs directional vs analog?

I think analogue is actually the easiest and easier then in years past. I just started doing some zone hitting though as well. I kind of do both to be honest now. It also depends on what the pitcher is throwing. If he is throwing heat all over the corners then I find zone hitting to be pretty hard so I will go with analogue.
I hear exactly what you are saying about the PCI, its actually why i did not do zone for the first month I owned the game. I did change my reticle type to outline and that seemed to help but I know what you mean by it is distracting.
Make sure with analogue that you understand that you have to not just flick the stick up but also at the angle in the zone in which the pitch is in on the x axis (y axis pci placement is based on the ratings of the hitter and pitcher).
I also noticed that I do not generate quite as much power with analogue hitting. I think that is because i cant control if I am going to get under a pitch or not. If a guy is throwing soft stuff low in the zone all game, I want to be able to destroy him for doing that and that is harder to do with just analogue.

I hope that advice helped some.
MLB: Mariners/Reds
PSN: RipCityBentley
Old 06-06-2015, 02:23 AM   #3
Pro

ScouserHUN's Arena

OVR: 4

Against players who are actually pitching well, you should use directional/analog. Against players who are abusing the bottom of the strike zone with changeups and curveballs you should use zone and leave the PCI at the bottom all the time until they learn you can hit those pitches.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:32 AM   #4
Rookie

Gambit1193's Arena

I tried zone hitting in practice mode. Didn't really feel comfortable with it. Is the trick to it is just placing the PCI up middle or down? is there no aiming and stuff to it to which side of the field you want to hit it?
Old 06-06-2015, 03:28 AM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit1193
I tried zone hitting in practice mode. Didn't really feel comfortable with it. Is the trick to it is just placing the PCI up middle or down? is there no aiming and stuff to it to which side of the field you want to hit it?
Aiming is based on timing. The only times I try to aim is runner on 2nd and no outs, or a hitter's count with a power hitter up. Every other situation I'm trying to go with the pitch.

My teams prioritize pitching and defense, so I'll take a single the other way anytime I can get it.

Last edited by billydkid21; 06-06-2015 at 03:31 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2015, 04:34 AM   #6
Rookie

Beat LA's Arena

I've never used directional hitting. That may be why my averages are so bad. I usually aim my PCI up in the zone to start with, all the time, looking to turn on the high heat. It helps if they have a cold zone, up and in. I think that's why my best hitter is Carlos Santana. I rip that up and in fastball, but conversely flail against low, offspeed junk.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:48 AM   #7
Rookie

Chetballard's Arena

OVR: 3

Zone hitting just does not to well for me. I have used timing/contact for every baseball game I play. Since show 06 is been that way for me.

I have used OS since 2006 and this question is always asked. Every year most people like zone better. I wish I could do well with zone, but the moving of the PCI/following the ball just does not work for me. Sometimes I feel since zone is the more popular choice then that it has to be better. I see cardinal bird and other popular streamers on twitch use zone and it make me wonder if timing is a horrible choice to use.

I believe its a matter of getting use to one method and sticking with it, switching back and forth frequently will only confuse you more
Old 06-06-2015, 10:15 AM   #8
Pro

OVR: 5

Zone is the only way to hit for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »